Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Post by Cards »

Cards wrote:Just checked the CAA website to see what other teams OOC schedules look like. There are 3-4 teams that already have listed 8 to 9 OOC games and others with a few less. There are some very impressive opponents listed. CAA teams are playing North Carolina, Duke, Georgia, Virginia, NC State, Miss, as well as next level down like Umass, Richmond, Mason, Rhode Island, Bonnies.

Love that we are playing Richmond and Iona, but would love to see the rest of our OOC schedule. Hoping for at least one big opponent or several more "A-10 type" games.
by HUSID74 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:51 am

We are opening at Monmouth, playing at Rutgers, St. Bona, Richmond and we're home to Iona and SB. Staff still looking to add at least a couple of local games.
Heard schedule blew up at least twice due to COVID...at one time we were in the bubble at Mohegan Sun but that disappeared due to COVID as well.

Hope there is tv access to these games.
HUSID74

Thanks HUSID, great news. Those additions to the OOC fulfills my wish list. A big10 team Rutgers, and another A-10 team St Bon.
As you also mentioned, add a few more local games are we are good to go. I like this OOC schedule.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:
Cards wrote:Just checked the CAA website to see what other teams OOC schedules look like. There are 3-4 teams that already have listed 8 to 9 OOC games and others with a few less. There are some very impressive opponents listed. CAA teams are playing North Carolina, Duke, Georgia, Virginia, NC State, Miss, as well as next level down like Umass, Richmond, Mason, Rhode Island, Bonnies.

Love that we are playing Richmond and Iona, but would love to see the rest of our OOC schedule. Hoping for at least one big opponent or several more "A-10 type" games.
by HUSID74 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:51 am

We are opening at Monmouth, playing at Rutgers, St. Bona, Richmond and we're home to Iona and SB. Staff still looking to add at least a couple of local games.
Heard schedule blew up at least twice due to COVID...at one time we were in the bubble at Mohegan Sun but that disappeared due to COVID as well.

Hope there is tv access to these games.
HUSID74

Thanks HUSID, great news. Those additions to the OOC fulfills my wish list. A big10 team Rutgers, and another A-10 team St Bon.
As you also mentioned, add a few more local games are we are good to go. I like this OOC schedule.
This is a far tougher schedule then we would normally play OOC and I think it will be good for us to toughen up and get ready for the schedule that counts the most. It may not be good for our won/loss record but I like playing better opponents. So far so good. TV access thru what channel. R u referring to paid TV??
Captain

Post by Captain »

I am as pumped as all of you for this season.
Lots of things to consider, I think we have a really deep team. Competition for playing time should be intense.With the new rules of transferring without sitting out it has become more player friendly.
If you don't see playing time, you may want to consider moving. Also if the team wants you to redshirt, you may want an early exit.
I hope Coach Farrelly gives daylight to all of the newcomers and we see just what we have. Burying freshmen might not be a good long term plan with the new rules. If you think somebody does not really fit well, you may have to be honest with them. Having depth is really great. Managing it well is really important.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I didn’t realize that the proposed rule change had been passed?? The NCAA had been opposed to this change in the past. I believe that our freshman will get some playing time with the CAA schedule of back to back games. This might necessitate keeping fresh bodies on the court of course the bottom line will be to win games first and foremost!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by triplec2195 on Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Polito

Post by Polito »

First, that is one awesome OOC schedule, GREAT job staff! Rutgers is a top 25 NCAAT team who will be in the top 1/3 of the Big 10, UR is a fringe top 25 team, prob top 40. If Sherod didn't just get hurt they'd be ranked IMO. Add in St Bon (top 1/3 A10 this yr), and quality mids like Monmouth and Iona and the LI battle with SBU, and that's one helluva run to conf play.

Not worried at all about the record during it, I think HU may surprise - but either way they will be VERY battle tested for the CAA. They will face some of the best players in the country with those games, love it.

This season is going to be wild with so little practice time - I think that heavily favors those with returning starters/upper classmen (like HU) - but I would also bet that things will look very different across all conferences by the end of the year once teams gel. Until then, hoping HU can steal a couple of W's against that schedule and bring some great attention.

Second, I think all teams are going to want and need to season their full rosters in the beginning because of COVID - players will likely be tested 3 times a week, like college football, and any that test positive will miss games, and could impact the roster with contact tracing. EVERY team will need to establish a highly serviceable bench.

That said, I do not expect HU to veer off their approach much, they will settle on their starting rotation and stick to it as much as possible. And I don't think that's going to bother anyone more than it has in the past - it's known to all who come to HU. Everyone will get their time to shine, and if you pay your dues, you will have ample opps to become a star and go get paid in the pros somewhere.

Coach F is not going to drastically change anything - there's just not enough time to do that with such limited practice - it's going to be the HU we know, with the exception of some extra early dev time for guys to prep in case of any covid impact.

And I'm good with that - this isn't the time to blow things ups, it's time to double down and go REPEAT 8-)
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to the Iona basketball website, IC at HU is now Saturday, December 5th.
budman

Post by budman »

Hofstra will be Home Nov. 30 vs. FDU
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

This is probably the seven game out of conference schedule so far: Wed 11-25 at Monmouth, Mon 11-30 FDU, Sat 12-5 Iona, Wed 12-9 SBU, Tues 12-22 at Richmond. To be determined: at Rutgers and at St. Bonaventure.
Last edited by The Shadow on Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Thanks for all the info. re OOC games but you wonder why none of this is on gohofstra and maybe that's because they're waiting to have the entire schedule done before they post it??
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Joe Lunardi has Northeastern penciled in for the CAA in his way-to-early bracket. Good program, good coach, but I'm not seeing that at all. Too young and too many losses. Hofstra, Charleston and maybe Drexel should compete for the CAA.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Our game at Monmouth will be Wednesday at 7:00 P.M. on ESPN3. It means that anyone who gets ESPN on TV can log in through a TV provider. It is separate from ESPN Plus, which charges. If you do not get ESPN through a TV provider, there is no legal way to watch ESPN3. I'm assuming that cord-cutters who get ESPN from Sling, Fubo, YouTube TV, or anything else like that get access as if they had a traditional TV provider. All of ESPN's channels and streaming combine to have 49 Men's Basketball games on Wednesday in which at least one team is Division I. At 1:00 P.M.UNCW is at Western Carolina. That game is on ESPN Plus, which you have to pay for. Northeastern will be in the Paradise Jam in D.C. from Thursday to Saturday. They play George Mason on Thursday at 2:00 P.M., Howard on Friday at 5:00 P.M., and Belmont on Saturday at 12:00 P.M. George Mason is near D.C., Howard is in D.C., and Belmont is in Nashville.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

[quote="EvanJ"]Our game at Monmouth will be Wednesday at 7:00 P.M. on ESPN3. It means that anyone who gets ESPN on TV can log in through a TV provider. It is separate from ESPN Plus, which charges. If you do not get ESPN through a TV provider, there is no legal way to watch ESPN3. I'm assuming that cord-cutters who get ESPN from Sling, Fubo, YouTube TV, or anything else like that get access as if they had a traditional TV provider. All of ESPN's channels and streaming combine to have 49 Men's Basketball games on Wednesday in which at least one team is Division I. At 1:00 P.M.UNCW is at Western Carolina. That game is on ESPN Plus, which you have to pay for. Northeastern will be in the Paradise Jam in D.C. from Thursday to Saturday. They play George Mason on Thursday at 2:00 P.M., Howard on Friday at 5:00 P.M., and Belmont on Saturday at 12:00 P.M. George Mason is near D.C., Howard is in D.C., and Belmont is in Nashville.

You got me excited Evan but I just checked I do get ESPN via FIOS but only have ESPN2 not 3. What a shame thought I was going to be watching the first game!!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

ESPN3 is internet only...you need to download the ESPN app and you'll find programming for ESPN3...all MAAC games are on ESPN3, kind of like our FloSports only better.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:ESPN3 is internet only...you need to download the ESPN app and you'll find programming for ESPN3...all MAAC games are on ESPN3, kind of like our FloSports only better.
Thank you HUSID so the game can be streamed from my phone to my TV I'm assuming that's awesome!! All free I'm also assuming.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I believe its free
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I also believe the games on ESPN3 are archived so they can be watched at a later time.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The Shadow wrote:I also believe the games on ESPN3 are archived so they can be watched at a later time.
Even better yet!!
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

HUSID74, all MAAC games are on either ESPN3 or ESPN+. I believe all Monmouth games are on ESPN, they have not announced Fairfield internet schedule.

ESPN3 games are free with a cable subscription which includes ESPN. ESPN+ costs $4.99 a month for a ton of games all sports (cable not necessary).

All games on either site are archived
Wags

Post by Wags »

A good OOS schedule on its own merits, but really good considering the challenges of putting it together late due to Covid.

Looks like last year's California (with all of the early-season opponents from there) is this year's New Jersey.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

OCC schedule:

https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

One or two games may be added.