Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Post by garyg »

Whether we like it or not 2019-2020 season is history so it's time to start looking ahead to 2020-2021 season

Our roster is set with all 13 scholarships being awarded...only change to roster will be if anyone decides to transfer out and we utilize their scholarship [s]

We return 4 proven players in starters JR, TC, and IK along with KS who did a solid job backing up at the 5...IMO ST is borderline when it comes to being considered a proven player although he has shown signs in the past 3 years...

So what does everyone think about next season ?
stuball888

Re: Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Post by stuball888 »

Dont be surprised if rosters will be expanded to 15 scholarships
garyg

Post by garyg »

Where did you hear that ?
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

There has been no decision yet regarding allowing winter sports athletes to return for another year... There are positives and negatives regarding this decision...
On one hand it would be great to have Desure and Eli back, but on the other as Wags and others have said, this will prevent our upper classmen like Jalen and Tariq from having the opportunity to lead the team in their time.
Add the costs, remember it's not just the men's basketball team, it's women's basketball wrestling and other sports...the cost of additional scholarships, adding the Spring Sports could be prohibitive.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Schools endowment is over 600 million i think total sports budget is under 24 million
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Schlorship moneyis soft money
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

stuball888 wrote:Schlorship moneyis soft money
Agreed just have 2 more students enrolled than you would have otherwise. I would imagine for spring sports that it's happening either way.

I asked Buie in a live Instagram and he didn't give an indication what he would do either way if it were available to him.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I can't even think about next season yet. Still processing what happened with the NCAAT this season, especially on Selection Sunday today.

I think they have a nice core returning IF Ray and Coburn take steps forward to truly be leaders instead of the nice complementary starters they were this year - may very well happen, but we'll see.

I think the NCAA doing for winter sports seniors what they did for spring sports seniors next year feels as likely as this year's NCAAT taking place when the NCAA first said it would occur without fans. Sounds nice, but feels ultimately like false hope.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

HUSID74 wrote:There has been no decision yet regarding allowing winter sports athletes to return for another year... There are positives and negatives regarding this decision...
On one hand it would be great to have Desure and Eli back, but on the other as Wags and others have said, this will prevent our upper classmen like Jalen and Tariq from having the opportunity to lead the team in their time.
Add the costs, remember it's not just the men's basketball team, it's women's basketball wrestling and other sports...the cost of additional scholarships, adding the Spring Sports could be prohibitive.
I feel like they'd have absolutely no problem having their boys back for another year to try and win another title and go to the tournament.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraHockey wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:There has been no decision yet regarding allowing winter sports athletes to return for another year... There are positives and negatives regarding this decision...
I feel like they'd have absolutely no problem having their boys back for another year to try and win another title and go to the tournament.
In Hofstra's case, yes, because Ray and Coburn were already key starters as juniors. So, they'd kind of pick up where they left off. But maybe not so for other teams, with say, non-starting juniors who were set to be seniors and take over the team with expanded roles, but would have to take a back seat to returning seniors granted an extra year.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

It would be ridiculous for Buie and Pemberton to come back, beyond them being Hofstra grads, and seniors that played a full season, it trivializes their accomplishments his year. I couldn't be more against it. We qualified for the NCAAT this year, put the banner up, and move on. It's not optimal, but it's reality.

It looks like it's going to take months for the COVID to run it's course in the US, so I wonder if that slows our recruiting momentum. If we were going to have 1-2 extra scholarships open up after the year, there was a good chance we would get a bit of a recruiting boost from the NCAAT appearance, now I don't know. May help us locally though, as NYC players may be scrambling to grab a scholarship with a shortened late recruiting window.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:It would be ridiculous for Buie and Pemberton to come back, beyond them being Hofstra grads, and seniors that played a full season, it trivializes their accomplishments his year. I couldn't be more against it. We qualified for the NCAAT this year, put the banner up, and move on. It's not optimal, but it's reality.

It looks like it's going to take months for the COVID to run it's course in the US, so I wonder if that slows our recruiting momentum. If we were going to have 1-2 extra scholarships open up after the year, there was a good chance we would get a bit of a recruiting boost from the NCAAT appearance, now I don't know. May help us locally though, as NYC players may be scrambling to grab a scholarship with a shortened late recruiting window.
FD, right now we have three kids committed for next year. We have no grants left unless someone leaves the team. Keep your eyes on the transfer portal. There are already three Drexel and two Northeastern players on it without me checking this morning.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

FD: Should Desure and Eli come back next year (which is certainly unclear at this point) how would that trivialize this year's accomplishments? Not sure I'm getting that.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

There is no way, if they expand the eligibility for current seniors for next year, that they don't also expand the number of scholarship players allowed for the one year as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Coburn, Kante and Ray are reliable starters. After that, it's anybody's guess.

I am comfortable Shutte and Trueheart. They proved themselves this year and deserve more minutes going forward. Cramer is supposed to be good.

I don't know why Hughes did not play. We got nothing from Burgess, Miranda and Silverio. Would not mind if any of them transferred.

Don't know much about our recruits.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Our biggest issue next year will be to replace Buie at the PG position...not only was he a stat filler but he was the team leader, floor general and just about everything else; don't know where will find all of that. In addition, Eli came on real strong in the second half of the season, becoming a reliable scorer and inside/outside threat which we will sorely miss.
I believe Coburn, Ray and Kante will improve but not sure if Silverio can be counted on, Burgess is a work in progress and Cramer is an amazing athlete but we don't know what he will bring.

As for the new recruits, they are all true freshmen, although Masic may be a year older than the other two...should be interesting, competition for two staring positions...we haven't had that in a long time.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Jojogunne wrote:Coburn, Kante and Ray are reliable starters. After that, it's anybody's guess.

I am comfortable Shutte and Trueheart. They proved themselves this year and deserve more minutes going forward. Cramer is supposed to be good.

I don't know why Hughes did not play. We got nothing from Burgess, Miranda and Silverio. Would not mind if any of them transferred.

Don't know much about our recruits.
I know I am not the first one to bring up this argument but we got nothing from JWF his freshman year and next to nothing (really just minutes) from Buie his freshman year. Give these kids a chance to acclimate to the game. None of Burgess, Miranda or Silverio were expected to be significant contributors this past year.

Burgess looks like a good player besides his jump shoot which he needs to work on this off season; I feel like I might be in the minority here but I think he will become a solid starter for us his Jr. and Sr. years.

Miranda didn't show us much but let's give him sometime and a full off season in the program to improve. We also probably wouldn't be relying on him much next year either so give him sometime to improve. Not sure what to think of him but i'd rather give him more than a year to prove me wrong.

Silverio seemed to have some personal issues and illness off the court that derailed his season. In the preseason scrimmage for season ticket holders he was lighting it up from 3 point range so I am feeling confident we are going to see a different Silverio next season. I think he will be the first guard off the bench providing some relief for Ray and Coburn.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We're talking in hypotheticals here so I'll say without hesitation would love to have Buie and Pemberton back for another deja-vu don't know how realistic this is but we would win it all again but this time we would have a deeper bench assuming that rosters would be expanded. In the scenario without Buie and Eli we also are in a pretty good place considering we have 3 starters returning. I agree with maybe losing Miranda but losing Burgess and Silverio can't agree with this. Too many people here that don't have patience and believe in letting players develop. Everyone took time to develop from Justin to Desure to name a few. Who becomes our point guard if we don't have Burgess and who slips into Eli's starting role if we don't have Silverio. We have a lot of people here that were totally disgusted with the play of Kante early on and rightfully so the way he was built up but he turned out to be a productive player in the post and doing this really as a freshman. I'll go on the record once again in stating that IMO Silverio will be a kid given the minutes and getting back his confidence will score in double figures here. Burgess will be a productive point guard as well if we just give him a chance. If we don't have these players who will be our starting 5? Do u think freshmen will just step into these roles?? Even a kid like Buie who had a nice H.S. pedigree took time to develop. Justin the same thing. Don't be so quick to have a purge here that's all!!

Matthew we posted near the same time but pretty much reinforcing what u r saying with the jury being out on Miranda!
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:FD, right now we have three kids committed for next year. We have no grants left unless someone leaves the team. Keep your eyes on the transfer portal. There are already three Drexel and two Northeastern players on it without me checking this morning.
Now 3 from NE. Thomas Murphy is graduating this spring and will transfer as a grad student with two years of eligibility. Assuming he is healthy, he would be a great pickup (assuming we have a spot).
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

What's up with NE? Solid program, good coach, why all the transfers?