Tournament Closed to Public

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Tournament Closed to Public

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Not to worry Wags Joe knows we are a good second half team. We will bounce back
He later had them losing 76-64. But it wasn't that or his score prediction at halftime, it was that he said Speedy would be watching from the stands instead of knowing Speedy's an asst. coach. C'mon, Lunardi!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Too bad we didn't get to see this. As good as last year's championship 3x3 team was, imagine these four together?! A beast down low, a great two-way PG and two great scorers.

https://twitter.com/CAABasketball/statu ... 7965726723
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:Too bad we didn't get to see this. As good as last year's championship 3x3 team was, imagine these four together?! A beast down low, a great two-way PG and two great scorers.

They would have been a good team but not as good as last year's roster.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:
Wags wrote:Too bad we didn't get to see this. As good as last year's championship 3x3 team was, imagine these four together?! A beast down low, a great two-way PG and two great scorers.

Yeah, maybe not because of JWF.

But, might be a close call:

It would be a different kind of team...

- At PG, they'd probably be just as strong if not stronger with Buie instead of Pusica
- They wouldn't be as good at the primary scorer spot, with Riller instead of JWF.
- But, where they might have an advantage vs. last year is that scorers can dominate in the 3x3 game sometimes a lot more than bigs. Last year, JWF was the only one in that role, with Pusica as a facilitating PG and two bigs (Brantley and Cacok). This year, it would've been only one big (Knight, just as good or better than either Brantley or Cacok) and two scoring guards (with Riller and Roland) instead of just one.

Would be fun (hypothetically) to see those four-man teams play 3x3 against each other.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:
cactus wrote:

Yeah, maybe not because of JWF.

But, might be a close call:

It would be a different kind of team...

- At PG, they'd probably be just as strong if not stronger with Buie instead of Pusica
- They wouldn't be as good at the primary scorer spot, with Riller instead of JWF.
- But, where they might have an advantage vs. last year is that scorers can dominate in the 3x3 game sometimes a lot more than bigs. Last year, JWF was the only one in that role, with Pusica as a facilitating PG and two bigs (Brantley and Cacok). This year, it would've been only one big (Knight, just as good or better than either Brantley or Cacok) and two scoring guards (with Riller and Roland) instead of just one.

Would be fun (hypothetically) to see those four-man teams play 3x3 against each other.
Last year's team was perfect for this kind of tournament. Brantley can score plenty and he can rebound and guard bigs. Who does that when Knight is on the bench? Pusica is a very good shooter and can't forget about him when trying to guard the other guys. Cacok deadly inside and best rebounder in tournament.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote: Last year's team was perfect for this kind of tournament. Brantley can score plenty and he can rebound and guard bigs. Who does that when Knight is on the bench? Pusica is a very good shooter and can't forget about him when trying to guard the other guys. Cacok deadly inside and best rebounder in tournament.
Agree that last year's team was great for that tourney - that's why they won the championship. But I think this year's team could've had a chance to do the same. It's only 3x3. The games are short and there's obviously no running up and down the floor, so it's not very taxing physically on bigs the way a regular 5x5 game is. I think Knight would've stayed in there and it would've mainly been Riller and Roland (one scorer for another) subbing for each other, playing with Buie at PG and Knight down low.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
cactus wrote: Last year's team was perfect for this kind of tournament. Brantley can score plenty and he can rebound and guard bigs. Who does that when Knight is on the bench? Pusica is a very good shooter and can't forget about him when trying to guard the other guys. Cacok deadly inside and best rebounder in tournament.
Agree that last year's team was great for that tourney - that's why they won the championship. But I think this year's team could've had a chance to do the same. It's only 3x3. The games are short and there's obviously no running up and down the floor, so it's not very taxing physically on bigs the way a regular 5x5 game is. I think Knight would've stayed in there and it would've mainly been Riller and Roland (one scorer for another) subbing for each other, playing with Buie at PG and Knight down low.
For sure they would have been tough Knight is a handful and with the guards penetrating especially Buie Knight would go on a dunking rampage! Tough to stop him in close.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Would have been fun watching the 3x3 tournament but last year's team definitely was better. The CAA had 2 guys drafted in the NBA on that team.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HofstraMathew wrote:Would have been fun watching the 3x3 tournament but last year's team definitely was better. The CAA had 2 guys drafted in the NBA on that team.
Cacok signed a 2 way contract with the Lakers and has been in uniform with the big club this year too. Pusica is the only one not in the NBA right now. I see Knight possibly getting drafted 2nd round though this year.

HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

cactus wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:Would have been fun watching the 3x3 tournament but last year's team definitely was better. The CAA had 2 guys drafted in the NBA on that team.
Cacok signed a 2 way contract with the Lakers and has been in uniform with the big club this year too. Pusica is the only one not in the NBA right now. I see Knight possibly getting drafted 2nd round though this year.

Didn't know about Cacok. I wonder if we were the only 3x3 team to have 3 players sign NBA contracts.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
cactus wrote:

Didn't know about Cacok. I wonder if we were the only 3x3 team to have 3 players sign NBA contracts.
The CAA had more kids getting drafted into the NBA then a lot of bigger conferences. A real testament to the credibility of the conference and the recruiting.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

There's a reason that Justin got the MVP IN THIS tournament because in a one on one situation there's nobody that can stop him. Just loved watching him play.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Does anyone have a link to Justins highlights from the 3x3 tournament from last year
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: The CAA had more kids getting drafted into the NBA then a lot of bigger conferences. A real testament to the credibility of the conference and the recruiting.
The CAA hasn't been strong enough overall to be more than a one-bid league in a while, but there has been some very good talent -- national-level talent -- in the league both at Hofstra and other teams. It's a shame that's been a secret around the country.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Simulated Hofstra vs Simulated Seton Hall in the Simulated NCAA tourney right now:

https://twitter.com/March2K20/status/12 ... 9500444673
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:Simulated Hofstra vs Simulated Seton Hall in the Simulated NCAA tourney right now:

Down 38-31 at the half, lost 72-51. Think HU would've been able to score a lot better than that in the second half.

One thing they did get right, which I laughed at... HU called a timeout after they made a basket, just like Mihalich likes to.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:
Wags wrote:Simulated Hofstra vs Simulated Seton Hall in the Simulated NCAA tourney right now:

Down 38-31 at the half, lost 72-51. Think HU would've been able to score a lot better than that in the second half.

One thing they did get right, which I laughed at... HU called a timeout after they made a basket, just like Mihalich likes to.
Seton Hall would have been a terrible matchup for them because of their size

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
Wags wrote:

Seton Hall would have been a terrible matchup for them because of their size

Yeah during the year I watched SH lose to Creighton which was a really good basketball game. Myles Powell had 12 points on 3/16 shooting just an awful game for him probably the reason they lost but their bigs 7'2 Romaro Gill was impressive and when he needed a rest they brought in a 6'11 kid. Jared Rhoden while only scoring 8 points had a ton of rebounds. He's a player like Mutts for Delaware an O rebounding machine. Quincy McKnight had a big game with 20 points. Their bigs for sure would have created issues but our guards would have been a handful as well for them. Too much size to beat this team I think.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I wonder ... would the NCAA give all the teams that won their conference tournaments this year automatic bids to the 2021 NCAAT?

In conferences that did not complete their tournaments, the bid would go to the regular-season winner.

This would be in addition to the teams that win their conference tournaments next year.

The result would reduce the number of at-large teams from the power conferences. Not sure they would like that.

What do you think?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:I wonder ... would the NCAA give all the teams that won their conference tournaments this year automatic bids to the 2021 NCAAT?

In conferences that did not complete their tournaments, the bid would go to the regular-season winner.

This would be in addition to the teams that win their conference tournaments next year.

The result would reduce the number of at-large teams from the power conferences. Not sure they would like that.

What do you think?
This would never happen as much as I want to see HU get at least one post season game. If we have learned anything from past NCAA rulings and mindset is that there's not any kind of fairness that goes on here especially when it comes to mid major schools. We're step children in the NCAA and the fact that they let us play at all in this tourney is remarkable considering the disdain/disrespect we're showed. I have supported any kind of idea that would give us what we have coming to us and what we have worked hard for for a long time and we're not alone. Like the idea though Jojo and maybe someone should start a petition but much bigger fish to fry right now in his world.