Tournament Closed to Public

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Tournament Closed to Public

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:Duke not pulls out of all athletic events indefinitely Only a matter of time unfortunately. Might even be cancelled today.
Kansas joined them after Duke set the precedent. The big-time schools will probably cancel the NCAA tourney before the NCAA does.

Hopefully, we can still get May Madness?

Feel so sorry for the whole team. They deserved to experience what other mids who win their conference tourneys do. I hope they still get that chance.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I don't see how the NCAAT can take place now. :cry:
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:I don't see how the NCAAT can take place now. :cry:
Just hoping that once things settle down, it'll still somehow be possible logistically to hold it a month or two late. But it's clearly not happening this month now. Really a shame.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Our starters could use the rest, May Madness woudn't be that bad after all.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Our starters could use the rest, May Madness woudn't be that bad after all.
Rest? They're used to playing multiple times every week. They would've already had 9 or 10 days off from the CAA title game to when they would've played in the NCAAT. That would've been more then they wanted. May would just make then rusty, not rested. But it would also be the same for every other team.
Wags

Post by Wags »

DAMMIT! NO TOURNAMENT! :(

https://twitter.com/NCAA/status/1238197201928667136

Figures this would be the year Hofstra would win.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Now with all the spring sports cancelled what happens to the eligibility of the spring athletes for next year I think the NCAA needs to make exceptions foe schollys allowed for next year
Flying Dutchmen

Wags wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:Our starters could use the rest, May Madness woudn't be that bad after all.
Rest? They're used to playing multiple times every week. They would've already had 9 or 10 days off from the CAA title game to when they would've played in the NCAAT. That would've been more then they wanted. May would just make then rusty, not rested. But it would also be the same for every other team.
It was an obvious joke.

What isn't is this outcome. Let's be honest, it's probably a money (insurance) decision, veiled as a safety decision.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Wags wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote: It was an obvious joke.
Sorry, man. I might just be on edge with all that's going on.
Flying Dutchmen wrote: What isn't is this outcome. Let's be honest, it's probably a money (insurance) decision, veiled as a safety decision.
Sounds plausible. I just wish they could have, for now, postponed indefinitely and tried to play the tournament later on. And even if the virus were under control by then, but they still couldn't pull it off logistically, then fine. But wait and see first instead of rushing to cancel it now. Maybe as you said, insurance might've driven the haste in their decision.
Flying Dutchmen

Wags wrote:Sounds plausible. I just wish they could have, for now, postponed indefinitely and tried to play the tournament later on. And even if the virus were under control by then, but they still couldn't pull it off logistically, then fine. But wait and see first instead of rushing to cancel it now. Maybe as you said, insurance might've driven the haste in their decision.
I think some of the bigger schools have the risk of players looking to professional careers to opt out of the tournament if it is held later on, and I do understand that.

I also can see it being a logistical nightmare, even if the virus subsides considering NYC has just banned gatherings of 500+ for two months.

Just incredibly disappointing, first and foremost for the players; but also the coaches, athletic dept, students, and us fans. The joy on Tuesday night was real, many of us had a tear in our eye when we saw those nets get cut down. It meant that much to me, personally.

An absolute shame, I hope everyone here stays safe.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Unbelievable ... this is just UN FING BELIEVABLE

And PLENTY of us would’ve been there Hofstra 8-) , and many including myself were already making arrangements, and bringing groups to boot! Was fortunate to be there for the last 2 net cuts, but an NCAA tourney game has been THE need!

But now to not even have it after having to wait this long is just so disheartening it’s not even funny (obviously not just for us but for the entire program, and all the others too) - will pray they go for just postponing instead of outright cancelling.

AAAHGGHHHHHH
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

A CAA official working the tournament just tested positive for coronavirus.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Mike Francesa tweeting his sympathy to us fans, I for one can’t sleep, just heartbroken beyond words. :(
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:Mike Francesa tweeting his sympathy to us fans, I for one can’t sleep, just heartbroken beyond words. :(
I don't want to get political on this site, but I'll take his sympathy for what it's worth since Francesa also tweeted an admission in the same day that while he's been a big supporter of the President, he said the President hasn't handled this crisis well at all. Maybe if Francesa and others with influence had thrown their support somewhere else four years ago, we'd have had much better leadership today and been ahead of this crisis instead of behind it, like we are, and maybe it wouldn't have been the serious issue it is in this country right now - first and foremost, for American citizens' health, but at this far less serious level, maybe we'd have also had an NCAA tournament for Hofstra to play in.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
Hof_Judge99 wrote:Mike Francesa tweeting his sympathy to us fans, I for one can’t sleep, just heartbroken beyond words. :(
I don't want to get political on this site, but I'll take his sympathy for what it's worth since Francesa also tweeted an admission in the same day that while he's been a big supporter of the President, he said the President hasn't handled this crisis well at all. Maybe if Francesa and others with influence had thrown their support somewhere else four years ago, we'd have had much better leadership today and been ahead of this crisis instead of behind it, like we are, and maybe it wouldn't have been the serious issue it is in this country right now - first and foremost, for American citizens' health, but at this far less serious level, maybe we'd have also had an NCAA tournament for Hofstra to play in.
Its bad enough that after 19 years of frustration for the program and the players and us fans but please do me a favor (all due respect) don't bring POLITICS into this discussion. IMO there's no place for POLITICS here its so devastating that on the simplest levels(amateur) and what should be pure and innocent gets tarnished with this constant POLITICAL divide. I realize this is a somewhat naive narrative but lets just make this about the schools, coaches, fans and most of all the kids that have given so much to the sports that they love. SAD SO VERY SAD BUT DON'T PLAY THE BLAME GAME!!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:
Its bad enough that after 19 years of frustration for the program and the players and us fans but please do me a favor (all due respect) don't bring POLITICS into this discussion. IMO there's no place for POLITICS here its so devastating that on the simplest levels(amateur) and what should be pure and innocent gets tarnished with this constant POLITICAL divide. I realize this is a somewhat naive narrative but lets just make this about the schools, coaches, fans and most of all the kids that have given so much to the sports that they love. SAD SO VERY SAD BUT DON'T PLAY THE BLAME GAME!!!
100% agree triplec
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The NCAA killed the tournament when the big schools started to pull out...they obviously call the shots...unbelievably disappointing....however NO ONE can take away our CAA Championship and the JOY we will felt on the court after we won on Tuesday...this team will go do in Hofstra history as one of the all-time greats and deservedly so.

Still don't understand WHY they did not leave the door open for re-scheduling even though that would be a logistical nightmare.

As for players being given extra eligibility that will be very difficult to do. We have already given out three scholarships for next year and even if the NCAA allows for extra scholarships will our kids want to come back and will Hofstra fund the extra grants. Remember this would be FOR ALL SPORTS, not just basketball so the money would add up, and I don't see the NCAA funding them.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:
Fair enough. Only mentioned it in response to the first comment about Francesa (which I didn't make) because I think Francesa's "sympathy" for Hofstra (which he only talks about in years when the team has any realistic chance in March) should be seen for what it's worth.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

[quote="Wags"][quote="triplec2195"][quote="Wags"][quote="Hof_Judge99"]Mike Francesa tweeting his sympathy to us fans, I for one can’t sleep, just heartbroken beyond words. :([/quote]
I don't want to get political on this site, but I'll take his sympathy for what it's worth since Francesa also tweeted an admission in the same day that while he's been a big supporter of the President, he said the President hasn't handled this crisis well at all. Maybe if Francesa and others with influence had thrown their support somewhere else four years ago, we'd have had much better leadership today and been ahead of this crisis instead of behind it, like we are, and maybe it wouldn't have been the serious issue it is in this country right now - first and foremost, for American citizens' health, but at this far less serious level, maybe we'd have also had an NCAA tournament for Hofstra to play in.[/quote]

Its bad enough that after 19 years of frustration for the program and the players and us fans but please do me a favor (all due respect) don't bring POLITICS into this discussion. IMO there's no place for POLITICS here its so devastating that on the simplest levels(amateur) and what should be pure and innocent gets tarnished with this constant POLITICAL divide. I realize this is a somewhat naive narrative but lets just make this about the schools, coaches, fans and most of all the kids that have given so much to the sports that they love. SAD SO VERY SAD BUT DON'T PLAY THE BLAME GAME!!![/quote]
Fair enough. Only mentioned it in response to the first comment about Francesa (which I didn't make) because I think Francesa's "sympathy" for Hofstra (which he only talks about in years when the team has any realistic chance in March) should be seen for what it's worth.[/quote]

I see where you're coming from Wags when it comes to Francesa who is one of the most self-righteous people around and I think you either love him or despise him kinda like the POTUS but I'll say this when it comes to rescheduling games and making this NCAA tourney happen NO or IMPOSSIBLE shouldn't be in the conversation. Almost everything is doable and where there's a will there's a way. They should leave the door open for this and this cancellation should be re-visited(revoked) and adopt the phrase let's find a way to make this happen for the benefit of everyone these games impact but obviously first and foremost the players(kids) who make this great sport what it is and who have earned this.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote: I see where you're coming from Wags when it comes to Francesa who is one of the most self-righteous people around and I think you either love him or despise him kinda like the POTUS but I'll say this when it comes to rescheduling games and making this NCAA tourney happen NO or IMPOSSIBLE shouldn't be in the conversation. Almost everything is doable and where there's a will there's a way. They should leave the door open for this and this cancellation should be re-visited(revoked) and adopt the phrase let's find a way to make this happen for the benefit of everyone these games impact but obviously first and foremost the players(kids) who make this great sport what it is and who have earned this.
I really wish, but I think once the NCAA said "canceled" instead of "postponed" there was no going back. I would take it in any month, whenever they might be able to reschedule it, April to October, any time before next season. But I just don't think it'll ever happen. :(