Tournament Closed to Public

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hof_Judge99

Re: Tournament Closed to Public

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

https://twitter.com/stephenflorival/sta ... 01376?s=21

This whole thing is the most Hofstra thing ever. Can’t win even when we do win. :(
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:https://twitter.com/stephenflorival/sta ... 01376?s=21

This whole thing is the most Hofstra thing ever. Can’t win even when we do win. :(
It could work to their advantage. Though some of us would go to Albany, whether there or not, the school they face (whoever it is) would likely have had a lot more fans, which might've made it a little tougher for HU. in a quiet, sterile environment, maybe an advantage their opponent would've had won't be there.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Clocks changed, full moon... haven't even got to Friday the 13th yet tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:
RollPride15 wrote:NBA just cancelled the season, incredibly. So I'd guess the whole tourney will be shut down as well.

I’m afraid they’ll say playing in empty arenas would be stupid anyway, might as well pull the plug. This feels worse than the loss in last year’s championship game. Gut wrenched for these guys and us as fans of course. Not to mention being on Utah I sure hope JWF didn’t catch this. :(
Let's not compare ANYTHING to the loss last year that was demoralizing especially with JWF at the helm and the unbelievable season we had. While I will be major disappointed if we don't get to play an NCAA game it will not diminish the great season we had and the gutsy performances of our players especially in the CAA tourney. A very,very special year! With the NBA suspended and maybe cancelled will BASEBALL be next??
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Hof_Judge99 wrote:
RollPride15 wrote:NBA just cancelled the season, incredibly. So I'd guess the whole tourney will be shut down as well.

I’m afraid they’ll say playing in empty arenas would be stupid anyway, might as well pull the plug. This feels worse than the loss in last year’s championship game. Gut wrenched for these guys and us as fans of course. Not to mention being on Utah I sure hope JWF didn’t catch this. :(
Let's not compare ANYTHING to the loss last year that was demoralizing especially with JWF at the helm and the unbelievable season we had. While I will be major disappointed if we don't get to play an NCAA game it will not diminish the great season we had and the gutsy performances of our players especially in the CAA tourney. A very,very special year! With the NBA suspended and maybe cancelled will BASEBALL be next??
Agree, definitely not a similar comparison to last year. They WON this year, and it was amazing to see! One of the best sporting events I've ever been to. No comparison whatsoever to last year, even with what is going on right now. They still won, and that can't be taken away. This morning, I feel very fortunate to have been there because the women's CAA tourney just followed suit this morning along with other conferences and will not play in front of fans, starting today. If the men's tournament were starting now instead having already been payed, it would've been the same. So, barely made it on the timing. The men will play in the NCAAT, it'll just be a lot different, in front of only a select few.

The NHL and MLB will almost certainly follow suit very soon, either suspending operations or playing in empty arenas/stadiums.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I can see the NCAA cancellation of the tournament Most teams will probably have to travel by plane The perfect incubator for the Corona Virus
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

If all this happened just 24 hours earlier the win over northeastern would have felt a lot different. I'll at least be thankful for that but very bummed for the fans and players missing the opportunity for the team to play in a NCAA tourney game.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

While yes, the tournament is going to lose a lot of money by not having fans, just remember that like 99% of NCAA championships, down to the D3 cross country nationals, end up losing money and are done for the student-athlete experience, not for the fans.

And, of course, remember that much of the money for the tournament comes from TV revenue. People are going to watch regardless of how many people are in the stands. And with half the country working from home, that might actually bump the numbers up quite a bit.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

NOTHING will take away from the euphoria of winning the CAA and the celebration that went on in DC...however the disappointment in not being able to go to the game is deep...I was planning on going WHEREVER they were going to play...still trying to ADOPT one of the players LOL!

Right now I just hope that these kids at least get their REWARD which is to play on the big stage in the BIG DANCE...at least their family will be able to be there in person.

How about bands and cheer? Are they allowed?????
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

HofstraHockey wrote:While yes, the tournament is going to lose a lot of money by not having fans, just remember that like 99% of NCAA championships, down to the D3 cross country nationals, end up losing money and are done for the student-athlete experience, not for the fans.

And, of course, remember that much of the money for the tournament comes from TV revenue. People are going to watch regardless of how many people are in the stands. And with half the country working from home, that might actually bump the numbers up quite a bit.
There are $771 million reason why the NCAA will make sure the games are played unless they're forced to cancel.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:I can see the NCAA cancellation of the tournament Most teams will probably have to travel by plane The perfect incubator for the Corona Virus
This is the situation that becomes the biggest issue with the NCAAT right now.

CBS Sports' Matt Nolander was actually talking to Mihalich about this yesterday and the possibility of playing in Albany and playing another team that could travel there by bus (like Villanova!) ;)

Norlander said the NCAA will make every effort, even if they have to create an imbalanced tournament, to try to do that, but can they do it with all teams, in all cases, throughout the tournament, without planes? Probably impossible.

The committee has a tough challenge, more than ever, this year.

As HUSID noted, there is a lot of money at stake, but health comes first. So, while every effort is going to be made to hold the tourney, it's conceivable it could still be canceled or postponed. Charles Barkley, despite working the tourney as an analyst, was on air this morning calling for such and he may be right.

I reached out yesterday to my contact at MSG, to see if I'll still have a credential to cover the East Regionals, and he said he hadn't heard anything yet.

The NCAA is looking to hold the Final Four in a smaller arena in the Atlanta area, like where the Hawks or Georgia Tech plays, rather than at Mercedes Benz Stadium, where the Falcons play.

This is still all a very fluid situation. Who'd have thought 24 hours ago, we'd be where we are now with the NBA, NCAA conference tourneys, etc.? This can all still change a lot, one way or the other, over the coming days and weeks. We'll just have to see what happens day by day - because as we saw last night, a LOT can change even within a few hours.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wasn't sure where to place this and didn't want to start a new thread for it, but good news:
https://twitter.com/HofstraU/status/1238111058965008384

So then, Hofstra can reopen?
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Honestly, once the paranoia and fear mongering subsides, a proper plan for carrying out the NCAA Tournament should be decided upon. I think it's an inevitability that it's at least postponed.

The mortality rate of 80+ is concerning, and our society needs to protect that group of people, I just think in a few weeks we will have greater perspective on the scope of the disease in the US, and will have a desire to get back to normalcy asap.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Honestly, once the paranoia and fear mongering subsides, a proper plan for carrying out the NCAA Tournament should be decided upon. I think it's an inevitability that it's at least postponed.

The mortality rate of 80+ is concerning, and our society needs to protect that group of people, I just think in a few weeks we will have greater perspective on the scope of the disease in the US, and will have a desire to get back to normalcy asap.
A turning point would be if a player in the field of 68 should test positive. Of course, I hope that doesn't happen. But if it does, that might bag the tourney this year.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:
stuball888 wrote:I can see the NCAA cancellation of the tournament Most teams will probably have to travel by plane The perfect incubator for the Corona Virus
This is the situation that becomes the biggest issue with the NCAAT right now.

CBS Sports' Matt Nolander was actually talking to Mihalich about this yesterday and the possibility of playing in Albany and playing another team that could travel there by bus (like Villanova!) ;)

Norlander said the NCAA will make every effort, even if they have to create an imbalanced tournament, to try to do that, but can they do it with all teams, in all cases, throughout the tournament, without planes? Probably impossible.
Aaaaaand so, of course, now two new cases reported in Albany.
Wags

Post by Wags »

AAC, Big Ten and SEC tourneys canceled. And the ACC canceled the remainder of the tournament that was already started. The ACC announced that its men's tourney would continue and then came back 15 minutes later to announce the cancellation.

We might fret about the Hofstra playing in a fan-less NCAAT or that tourney being postponed, but at least we were lucky the CAA was played when it was. If it started a few days later, it would've been canceled or at the very least, played without fans, too.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote: This morning, I feel very fortunate to have been there because the women's CAA tourney just followed suit this morning along with other conferences and will not play in front of fans, starting today.
So now the CAA women's tourney has instead been canceled along with all CAA women's spring sports being suspended.

This situation continues to evolve and change. SO much has happened in the sports world within just the past 24 hours related to this virus.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Remainder of the Big East tourney canceled... with St. John's leading Creighton 38-35 at halftime. Wild.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Duke not pulls out of all athletic events indefinitely Only a matter of time unfortunately. Might even be cancelled today.