MBB: 2020 CAA Finals - The Rematch

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: MBB: 2020 CAA Finals - The Rematch

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote:WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! GOING DANCING!!!!!!!!! Congratulations to all!!!!! Championships are forever! The HU defense in these three days has been super! Hats off to Coach Joe and his hard working staff. HU allowed only TWO NU free throws. IC grabbed 15 rebounds, team shoots 16 of 17 free throws. Remember the HU motto for the season: "Hungry Dogs Run Faster!" It is hard to believe how emotional I am at this moment. I guess I will quote Coach Joe and just say EUPHORIC!
CAREER-HIGH 15 rebounds for Kante. I put him on my ballot for the All-Tournament team and told him that after, as he was holding the trophy on the floor. I really thought he deserved it over the three games he played. Roland only played one good game. He was merely okay tonight. His selection on the team was a reputation vote. Kante deserved that spot.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

I’m speechless, I think back to the days of sitting in an empty gym watching Mo Cassara’s teams get blown out in 6-7 win seasons. The pain of losing last year, the heartbreak of 2016, the helpless feeling thinking we’d never do it. Desure Buie will go down as a legend in Hofstra history for what he did as the de facto captain in ending the drought. The no look pass to Tareq, the insane and one where he bounces off the defender, the high arching fadeaway 3s. Insane. To me the turning point of the game was Jalen hitting those back to back 3s to put us up for good, almost like the rest of the team fed off of that and it energized them to take it home. Also 16-17 from the free throw line. Huge!

Congratulations to coach Mihalich, his staff and the awesome players for making our dreams come true. Let’s also not forget about JWF and what he meant to the program, who knows if we’re here today without him. We did it baby!!!!!! We are the CHAMPIONS my friend, and we’ll keep on fighting till the end!!!!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:Uncle buck!! They won a championship at the free throw line!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Remember when we were told "Free throws don't matter?"

NU: 1/2
HU: 16/17

In a CAA championship game.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Remember when we were told "Starters can't win a CAA tournament championship without a bench?"

Hofstra just won a CAA tournament championship with their bench totaling 2 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal and 2 blocks -- including zeros across the board in the title game -- over three games in Washington, D.C.

Believe me now? :)
Last edited by Wags on Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:Let’s also not forget about JWF and what he meant to the program, who knows if we’re here today without him.
Joe got emotional at the postgame presser mentioning him, Nesmith, Upshaw, Rok and I think a couple others I'm forgetting.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I want to thank the players, Coach Joe and his hard working staff, the HU athletic department, and all the HU basketball fans who have supported this team for so many seasons. This is a very special night that I will long remember. I wish former members of my family, and close friends, who are no longer with us, could have seen this wonderful historic evening. I watched the after game press conference that was posted on Go Hofstra and was very moved by Coach Joe mentioning all the former players on his HU teams who paved the way. Coach Joe really became emotional when he mentioned the late Zeke Upshaw, JWF, and all the other HU players from his teams. It is really encouraging to have a HU coach who remembers where this program was just a few seasons ago. All the hard work and countless hours Coach Joe and his staff have put in have finally resulted in the long sort after CAA Championship. Remember what Coach Joe said, "The tougher team won tonight." To all the HU Fans and, especially the posters on this board, CONGRATULATIONS!
Last edited by The Shadow on Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Figures, the one year when I would've gone 7-2 (I had UNCW over Drexel and NU over W&M instead of NU over Elon in the semis, but called HU over NU called long ago for the finals), is when Evan doesn't do the pick the CAA tourney contest. lol :D
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote:I want to thank the players, Coach Joe and his hard working staff, the HU athletic department, and all the HU basketball fans who have supported this team for so many seasons. This is a very special night that I will long remember. I wish former members of my family, and close friends, who are no longer with us, could have seen this wonderful historic evening. I watched the after game press conference that was posted on Go Hofstra and was very moved by Coach Joe mentioning all the former players on his HU teams who paved the way. Coach Joe really became emotional when he mentioned the late Zeke Upshaw, JWF, and all the other HU players from his teams. It is really encouraging to have a HU coach who remembers where this program was just a few seasons ago. All the hard work and countless hours Coach Joe and his staff have put in have finally payed off. Remember what Coach Joe said, "The tougher team won tonight." HU Fans and, especially the posters on this board, CONGRATULATIONS!
He's all class, as is everyone else you mentioned. I asked him the question that prompted that "tougher team" statement because the way the game went (a difficult, grind-out, back and forth affair) reminded me of his mantra that he's repeated for a long time... "The game honors toughness."
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Wags wrote:
Hof_Judge99 wrote:Let’s also not forget about JWF and what he meant to the program, who knows if we’re here today without him.
Joe got emotional at the postgame presser mentioning him, Nesmith, Upshaw, Rok and I think a couple others I'm forgetting.

Juan’ya and Ameen of course!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:Remember when we were told "Starters can't win a CAA tournament championship without a bench?"

Hofstra just won a CAA tournament championship with their bench totaling 2 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal and 2 blocks -- including zeros across the board in the title game -- over three games in Washington, D.C.

That was not the argument and the bench played early in all 3 games. Could have used some fresh legs when they couldn't get a single decent look for an entire 6 minutes straight in the second half.

Regardless, don't want to argue their issues, ecstatic they pulled it out, only wish I could have been there like the last two 19 and 20 years ago.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:
Wags wrote:Remember when we were told "Starters can't win a CAA tournament championship without a bench?"

That was not the argument and the bench played early in all 3 games. Could have used some fresh legs when they couldn't get a single decent look for an entire 6 minutes straight in the second half.
Hardly played at all in all three games, barely contributed much at all. Did the starters, after supposedly having trouble getting a good look for a while, suddenly get fresh legs again after that, at the end of the game? Or, did they just execute and make big shots and winning plays?

vs Drexel:
Trueheart 7:23, Silverio 4:40, Burgess 6:26, Connor 0:16

vs Delaware:
Silverio 4:28, Schutte 1:18, Trueheart 11:22

vs Northeastern:
Trueheart 3:15, Schutte 2:36, Burgess 0:19

Really just Trueheart, barely, in two games, without contributing that much. Outside of that, they basically won 3 in 3 days with the starters.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:
cactus wrote:

Hardly played at all in all three games, barely contributed much at all. Did the starters, after supposedly having trouble getting a good look for a while, suddenly get fresh legs again after that, at the end of the game? Or, did they just execute and make big shots and winning plays?

vs Drexel:
Trueheart 7:23, Silverio 4:40, Burgess 6:26, Connor 0:16

vs Delaware:
Silverio 4:28, Schutte 1:18, Trueheart 11:22

vs Northeastern:
Trueheart 3:15, Schutte 2:36, Burgess 0:19

Really just Trueheart, barely, in two games, without contributing that much. Outside of that, they basically won 3 in 3 days with the starters.
Not going to argue, I watched the same game and same tournament and same team as you since 2013, glad they were able to overcome the starters basically playing all the minutes all season long, just going to enjoy the win. Will be happy to pick it up again after the ncaas but but not expecting Joe to change either way Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Still pinching myself... Didn't sleep much.. 19 years is a very long time. We slayed many demons last night. From the at large snub in 2006, to the Tim Welsch DUI, to the laptop theft scandal, to Daniel Dixon, to blowing a 12 pt 2nd half lead against UNCW in the 16 championship game and to coming up just short again last year.. all the bad has been erased with this beautiful championship victory last night.

19 years to the day.. what a season. We paid back Northeastern for last year. We even beat UCLA who we lost to in our last tournament appearance.

Congratulations to Joe and staff. The defensive turnaround this season was stunning.

Congratulations to Desure and Eli who are now Hofstra legends forever. And to the rest of team as well.

And thank you to all of the great players who came to Hofstra and help build this thing back up after Speedy and Jay Wright left. We've had the pleasure of watching greatness. Loren Stokes, Antoine Agudio, Charles Jenkins, Juan'ya and JWF.. Finally we are back where we belong. We are all goingdancing!!!!!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

It was all fate, talked to Speedy and he said it would come down to us and NE. The fact that it was exactly 19 years TO THE DAY that we last won...I can go on...great group of fans in DC, and the team, what can you say, they are a special group, coaches and players...what JOE has done for this program is REMARKABLE...Kudos to him and the staff...ON TO THE DANCE!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Amazing on the exact day, destiny indeed!!

And I'll second the praise on Kante - the last few games coming into the CAAT and throughout these 3 games, he's shown the 'beast' many of us thought / hoped he'd be. This guy may be undersized in height, but he is a LOAD and strong as an ox, regularly muscling his way in the paint against 2 defenders. He finishes well most of the time, actually dunks the ball with some authority, and hits FT's - keep it going big fella.

He still gets schooled too often on D, but that's purely experience and maturity, he'll tighten that up soon - rebounding has improved tremendously, big kudos to him, he matched up and performed very well overall against some very talented bigs. Kids future is extremely bright - probably one of the toughest bigs HU has had in a very long time - he shows some real DOG in him, something severely lacking in that spot (and in this program) for many years - looking forward to his development.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

First off, the athletics department did an awesome job in DC, they were awesome to us fans, first rate all the way.

As for the game, hats off to Northeastern, they played very well last night, and had an excellent tournament overall. I thought their game against Towson was the most well-played game in the tournament, an awesome clash of styles. They were probably good enough to cut down the nets again this year if Occeus stays and Murphy doesn't get hurt in November. It was very fitting that we take the mantle from them.

Joe is right, it comes down to mental toughness in this format. There are no hidden wrinkles when you see a team three times in two months.

I thought Kante was incredibly solid in this game. He was a BEAST on the boards, ran the court well, and he did a nice job in the zone at the top of the FT line, he picked up two big steals that led to fast breaks. He went to work on Boursiquot down low too, just getting him in foul trouble was huge. Awesome growth for Isaac this year.

Tareq gutted through a tough shooting night to hit a monster trey when we went down 5 early in the second half. Obviously that dunk was sweet, and appropriately got on the back cover of Newsday, but his best play was getting a finger on a Roland jumper late in the game when we were up 6 that led to the and 1 from Buie, that play really swung the game in our favor.

Jalen has ice water in his veins. He doesn't miss a big shot, and he plays his best in big games. Did a great job getting to the line last night too, the FT differential was huge in this game, and we took full advantage going 16-17, 8 from Ray.

So proud of Buie and Pemberton, heroic performances all season, again last night. I'll be honest, our chances were starting to look bleak around 8 minutes, but Pemba hit a 3 and a layup that never let Northeastern extend their lead, and allowed Buie and Ray to be the grim reapers. He brought some physicality to this game that Northeastern really could not match. Pemba has been such a selfless player his four years here, can't think of many people that deserve this win more than him in the last 20 years.

You can't write it any better for Buie, he's been so tremendous. Just put it in his hands. Love the guy, he's pure character, and he'll be remembered as the guy who got us back to the dance.

There was no doubt that we wanted Joe and this staff to be the coaches to bring us back to the tournament, but there were legit questions if our historically low bench use and almost exclusive zone D can stylistically get you over the top. They got it done last night, and I couldn't be happier for a staff that took over at our lowest point, and have done nothing but put bring high character players into our program and put a great product on the court. This one can't be any sweeter because we know they did it the right way.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hof_Judge99 wrote: I’m speechless, I think back to the days of sitting in an empty gym watching Mo Cassara’s teams get blown out in 6-7 win seasons.
You make it sound like Cassara had more than one 6-7 win season, but that's not true. He went 38-59 (.392) in three season. In 2010-2011 we went 21-12 led by Jenkins and the arrival of transfer Mike Moore. In 2011-2012, Moore was a senior and led the CAA with 19.9 points per game, but we got much worse without Jenkins and were 10-22. In 2012-2013, we went 7-25 and had four players steal. I don't remember the other two, but I recently read that we had six players arrested that season. We had only six players average over 10 minutes per team game. Matt Grogan, a senior walk-on, was seventh with 289 minutes out of necessity, and he scored 53 points. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was on the roster, but didn't play. In 2013-2014, Mihalich, Green, Tanksley, Upshaw, and Nesmith came. Green and Tanksley had redshirt transfer seasons. Upshaw led the CAA with 19.8 points per game. We went 10-23. In 2014-2015, Green, Tanksley, Bernardi, Nichols, and Gustys played their first seasons for us, and we went 20-14.
Wags wrote: Remember when we were told "Starters can't win a CAA tournament championship without a bench?"

The starters proved me wrong. Not only did we win, but we did best at the end. We didn't have starters show they were tired and hold on.
Wags wrote: Figures, the one year when I would've gone 7-2 (I had UNCW over Drexel and NU over W&M instead of NU over Elon in the semis, but called HU over NU called long ago for the finals), is when Evan doesn't do the pick the CAA tourney contest. lol :D
I stopped due to lack of interest, but this season I didn't even think about it, and the fact that I went to D.C. would have made me not spend time on a contest anyway. I have my old files saved. I did it on CAAZone from 2009 through 2014 and here in 2015, 2016, and 2018. This wasn't the first season I didn't do a contest. Seahawk Nation 08 did a contest at https://csnbbs.com/thread-895343.html with the First Round worth 1, Quarterfinals worth 3, Semifinals worth 5, and Final worth 10. That's a maximum of 34. With one First Round and one Quarterfinal game wrong, you scored 30. Of 26 people, the winner had 27. The bottom two people had 1, so people must have made intentionally bad predictions (I've seen that on ESPN's Tourney Challenge). Picking us to win two games was 8, and 8 of 26 people got under 8 points.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
Hof_Judge99 wrote: I’m speechless, I think back to the days of sitting in an empty gym watching Mo Cassara’s teams get blown out in 6-7 win seasons.
You make it sound like Cassara had more than one 6-7 win season, but that's not true. He went 38-59 (.392) in three season. In 2010-2011 we went 21-12 led by Jenkins and the arrival of transfer Mike Moore. In 2011-2012, Moore was a senior and led the CAA with 19.9 points per game, but we got much worse without Jenkins and were 10-22. In 2012-2013, we went 7-25 and had four players steal. I don't remember the other two, but I recently read that we had six players arrested that season. We had only six players average over 10 minutes per team game. Matt Grogan, a senior walk-on, was seventh with 289 minutes out of necessity, and he scored 53 points. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was on the roster, but didn't play. In 2013-2014, Mihalich, Green, Tanksley, Upshaw, and Nesmith came. Green and Tanksley had redshirt transfer seasons. Upshaw led the CAA with 19.8 points per game. We went 10-23. In 2014-2015, Green, Tanksley, Bernardi, Nichols, and Gustys played their first seasons for us, and we went 20-14.
Wags wrote: Remember when we were told "Starters can't win a CAA tournament championship without a bench?"

The starters proved me wrong. Not only did we win, but we did best at the end. We didn't have starters show they were tired and hold on.
Wags wrote: Figures, the one year when I would've gone 7-2 (I had UNCW over Drexel and NU over W&M instead of NU over Elon in the semis, but called HU over NU called long ago for the finals), is when Evan doesn't do the pick the CAA tourney contest. lol :D
I stopped due to lack of interest, but this season I didn't even think about it, and the fact that I went to D.C. would have made me not spend time on a contest anyway. I have my old files saved. I did it on CAAZone from 2009 through 2014 and here in 2015, 2016, and 2018. This wasn't the first season I didn't do a contest. Seahawk Nation 08 did a contest at https://csnbbs.com/thread-895343.html with the First Round worth 1, Quarterfinals worth 3, Semifinals worth 5, and Final worth 10. That's a maximum of 34. With one First Round and one Quarterfinal game wrong, you scored 30. Of 26 people, the winner had 27. The bottom two people had 1, so people must have made intentionally bad predictions (I've seen that on ESPN's Tourney Challenge). Picking us to win two games was 8, and 8 of 26 people got under 8 points.
It's all good. I was only kidding because I would've done well this year, so it figures that's my luck. Sorry I didn't get to see you in D.C. Did you have a good time?