MBB: 2020 CAA Finals - The Rematch

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

MBB: 2020 CAA Finals - The Rematch

Post by Wags »

Northeastern Coach Coen after beating Elon tonight, said losing the CAA finals two years ago pushed his team to win the finals last year. He said Hofstra is in that position this year, playing with the same kind of chip on its collective shoulder all season and said Hofstra should have that same kind of emotional edge tomorrow night that Northeastern had in last year's finals.
triplec2195

Re: MBB: 2020 CAA Finals - The Rematch

Post by triplec2195 »

I didn't think that NE would make it to the finals but give them credit but After having said that this is our year. We're playing with the grit and determination it takes to win three games in three days. We're firing on all cylinders and with Eli locked in and everyone else focused I don't see how we can lose this time around. NE is a good team with a good coach but this is when we end our 19 year drought. Let's finally go DANCING!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:I didn't think that NE would make it to the finals but give them credit but After having said that this is our year. We're playing with the grit and determination it takes to win three games in three days. We're firing on all cylinders and with Eli locked in and everyone else focused I don't see how we can lose this time around. NE is a good team with a good coach but this is when we end our 19 year drought. Let's finally go DANCING!!
Tried to tell ya for weeks. ;)

The biggest factors right now are the defense and Pemberton. The D has been at a championship level so far in this tournament and continues to be the biggest reason they've won all year (now 16-1 when allowing under 70 pts this season, and they've surrendered 104 points over the first two games of this tournament). But Pemberton is also extremely locked in and playing like he won't let HU lose. Ray has also been playing at an All-Tournament Team level so far. He's really stepped up in D.C.

Won't be easy, but I've been saying HU over NU for a long time now, so not bailing on that now. NU is battle-tested, well-coached and tough. But so is HU, and they're also better, and NU knows it.

19 years ago was also 3/10/01. Today's 3/10/20. So, exactly to the day. Not sure what this means, but the car I drove to this tournament, I drove for the first time on 3/10 last year. Too many coincidences not to do this. lol
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So what is the line on this game are we favored by as many as 5 points??
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:So what is the line on this game are we favored by as many as 5 points??
If you needed any more reason to be nervous about tonight, Hofstra is a one-point favorite, with a 134.5 O/U, so an expected 68-67 HU win to cut the nets.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Put me down as officially "worried" - all the pressure on HU
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

No reason to be worried, the 1 point line is a manifestation of a close Pomeroy projection.

I have all the confidence in this team, I think we’ve played well in the tournament so far, but we also survived through all the pitfalls of the one and done format, slow start vs Drexel, didn’t bury UD, I don’t think we make those mistakes tonight.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

[quote="Flying Dutchmen"]No reason to be worried, the 1 point line is a manifestation of a close Pomeroy projection.

I have all the confidence in this team, I think we’ve played well in the tournament so far, but we also survived through all the pitfalls of the one and done format, slow start vs Drexel, didn’t bury UD, I don’t think we make those mistakes tonight.[/quote

From your lips to God's ears!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ZMAN3 wrote:Put me down as officially "worried" - all the pressure on HU
And I think the team wants it to be this way. They know what's at stake and they have been ready for this moment for a long time including the coaching staff. I feel very confident in this game tonight and that's no disrespect to NE but I feel after Roland that they don't have many players that can beat us. We also need to keep them from getting a lot of foul shots. They shoot well but again so do we. We have more weapons and in the end this is how we'll win.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Possible, especially if they don't shoot well and fall behind at first. But after beating Elon last night, Coen sees Hofstra now as being where his team was last year.

He said, losing in the finals two years ago (like HU did last year) pushed them all year and was a big emotional edge in last year's title game. He thinks Hofstra has played with that same kind of chip this season and should have that same kind of edge tonight.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:No reason to be worried, the 1 point line is a manifestation of a close Pomeroy projection.

I have all the confidence in this team, I think we’ve played well in the tournament so far, but we also survived through all the pitfalls of the one and done format, slow start vs Drexel, didn’t bury UD, I don’t think we make those mistakes tonight.
Please don't talk to me about Lines- been "involved" since my early 20's - lol I do think it's a short price at 1. I'm worried because both games with NU were close, we don't use our bench, we're dependent on 3 pt shooting and that can "dry up" at any time (especially 3rd game in 3 nights - tired legs), can get in foul trouble (no bench), Roland
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
And I think the team wants it to be this way. They know what's at stake and they have been ready for this moment for a long time including the coaching staff. I feel very confident in this game tonight and that's no disrespect to NE but I feel after Roland that they don't have many players that can beat us. We also need to keep them from getting a lot of foul shots. They shoot well but again so do we. We have more weapons and in the end this is how we'll win.
Brace, Boursiquot, Walker, they're more than just Roland. But I still think Hofstra will win. Consistent with the point spread, they might be due for another one of those closes they've had so many of this year. The difference is I think Hofstra is more capable of going on that one run or two key runs in either or both halves which change the game and have NU playing uphill a little bit.
Polito

Post by Polito »

THIS IS OUR TIME, period. Let's GOOOOOO :!:

Roll in with a chip and with swagger and TAKE this crown and cut those nets

Stronger, effective D and having two studs who refuse to lose on a multi-weapon team has been a huge difference maker, so maintain a workman focus tonight, and bring full tilt heart & hustle - there's a job to do, so simply do what they came here to do. If you're up on lingo, tonight they need to be EXTRA!

NU got themselves in a nice position and they're always a program to respect - and HU does. But this isn't about them or anyone else. Come hell or high water, the drought ends TONIGHT.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
Brace, Boursiquot, Walker, they're more than just Roland. But I still think Hofstra will win. Consistent with the point spread, they might be due for another one of those closes they've had so many of this year. The difference is I think Hofstra is more capable of going on that one run or two key runs in either or both halves which change the game and have NU playing uphill a little bit.
If Roland is having an off night or just an average night they're in BIG trouble Brace, Boursiquot or Walker is not going to put them over the top. Roland had to score 32 points in the last game against us just to keep them close.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Jerry Beach has written a very good take on the HU-NU game tonight on Defiantly Dutch. I urge you all to read it before tipoff. It sums up how most of us feel. I am so rooting for a Dutch win and the long desired NCAAT bid. I wish all the players, coaches, trainers, and all the members of the HU Athletic Department the Best of Luck.
Wags

Post by Wags »

NU starts 0/5, HU 0/3.
Buie then hits a 3 to makeit 3-0, but NU scores the next 10, forcing Joe to take his first timeout.
10-3, NU - Hofstra's biggest deficit of the tourney.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

This is some ugly basketball. Just a weird start, the net, the whole thing.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Too much one on one resulting in one and done. No O rebounds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zebrapoodle23

Post by zebrapoodle23 »

Not sure why they're shooting so many contested 3s. Take it to the hoop
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Eli very quiet that’s not good he needs to drive the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk