CAA QUARTERFINALS vs Drexel

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

CAA QUARTERFINALS vs Drexel

Post by HUSID74 »

So what do we think. We should be favorites, but tough to beat a team three times. Is anyone out there? Or are we all driving to DC this evening?
Hofstra

Re: CAA QUARTERFINALS vs Drexel

Post by Hofstra »

Leaving around 630 from jersey tomorrow morning.

Like you said, tough to beat a team 3x, but Drexel is in the cross hairs now we have to figure. They are coming off a day where they played and we rested. Have to come out and fire early and often. Need blowouts where we can rest people late. Fresh legs moving forward, hopefully something that Drexel doesn't have tomorrow. Hofstra 74-61
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I'll be down in the morning with Hofstra as well.

On paper it's a good matchup for us, the best we can ask for in this tournament.

I thought Drexel played us well both times, especially at the DAC. We just have to defend the perimeter, if they shoot 42% from 3 like they did tonight, they will probably be in the game. Offensively, I just want to see us stay patient, and work for the open shot. When we push the pace too much, we take bad shots, turn the ball over, and give up points in transition. I expect to see us as 7-8 point favorites, personally I expect a win in that range, 78-70.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:So what do we think. We should be favorites, but tough to beat a team three times. Is anyone out there? Or are we all driving to DC this evening?
I'm here. Made it to the arena to catch the last 11 minutes of the JMU-Elon game.

A little before DST kicks in, Charleston is a 1-point favorite over Delaware and Northeastern is a 2-point favorite over Towson. Those should be fun games.
No lines yet on Hofstra-Drexel or Elon-William & Mary.

I think Drexel is a better draw. UNCW gave Hofstra a close battle at their place, even a little closer than Hofstra and Drexel. And Drexel finished 1-10 in the CAA after a 5-2 start, so they were really reeling before beating UNCW in the first round. UNCW played much better with their new coach and were more competitive with him. I could see them working harder to hang in than Drexel might if Hofstra has a good start. We'll find out soon!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Have fun down in DC Hofstra Loyalist - Wish I could be their, but Ill be watching.
Good to the Boys!!!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:I'll be down in the morning with Hofstra as well.

On paper it's a good matchup for us, the best we can ask for in this tournament.

I thought Drexel played us well both times, especially at the DAC. We just have to defend the perimeter, if they shoot 42% from 3 like they did tonight, they will probably be in the game. Offensively, I just want to see us stay patient, and work for the open shot. When we push the pace too much, we take bad shots, turn the ball over, and give up points in transition. I expect to see us as 7-8 point favorites, personally I expect a win in that range, 78-70.
I am close to you FD - I am guess a spread of us giving 6 or 7
Predict 80 - 69 Hofstra W.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

daHUPride wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:I'll be down in the morning with Hofstra as well.

I am close to you FD - I am guess a spread of us giving 6 or 7
Predict 80 - 69 Hofstra W.
You are right 8 points -
Polito

Post by Polito »

Very good draw folks... either way would’ve been frankly, but I like this slightly better. Forget the 3 times stuff, this is what it takes for any team any year, there are no excuses in HUs position, some do 4 in 4 so let’s goooo, game 1 gets done!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Quarterfinal spreads:

(1) HofstraMBB by 8 over (8) Drexel
(4) Charleston by 1.5 over (5) Delaware
(2) William & Mary by 5.5 over (7) Elon
(6) Northeastern by 2 over (3) Towson
Cards

Post by Cards »

Pitiful start!!! Eight minutes in and only DB and EP have taken any shots - don't they know that they have teammates on the court!!!

Does JM not tell these guys to work the ball?? Zero ball movement.... 2 against 5 play.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:Pitiful start!!! Eight minutes in and only DB and EP have taken any shots - don't they know that they have teammates on the court!!!

Does JM not tell these guys to work the ball?? Zero ball movement.... 2 against 5 play.
Took a while, but Ray and Kante got involved too. Ray especially... he's saving them right now. 9 pts on 4/6 to lead them... just put them up 22-20. Fortunately, Drexel can't shoot either, or they'd be up a by a few possessions.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Here is the bad news 25 point half. Here is the good news in front by 3. What seems to be the problem besides poor shooting?
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

One issue so far is this. The way we beat teams is by outscoring them by 10-15 points at the free throw line. We were -2 in free throw points in the first half. We need to do a better job at drawing contact and getting to the line. Hopefully Drexel will run out if gas down the stretch.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Worked the ball a little better after the first 8 minutes.

Finally worked the ball down low to IK.

Lost one of our scorers with TC - took no shots in first 10 minutes or so, and then picked up second foul and got pulled for rest of half. Hopefully a big second half.
Cards

Post by Cards »

The Shadow wrote:Here is the bad news 25 point half. Here is the good news in front by 3. What seems to be the problem besides poor shooting?
Had more than a few bad pass turnovers in first 10 minutes.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pemberton opens the second-half scoring with a 3, a bucket and a putback to give HU the game's biggest lead, 32-22.

He had 4 pts at halftime.

He has the first 7 of the 2nd half, just 2:16 since halftime.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

The lead is now 20, Drexel looks cooked. Hopefully we can get the bench guys in for the last few minutes.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:The lead is now 20, Drexel looks cooked. Hopefully we can get the bench guys in for the last few minutes.
Yup, Eli was DETERMINED to start the second half and the whole team seemed to feed off of it.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:
Hof_Judge99 wrote:The lead is now 20, Drexel looks cooked. Hopefully we can get the bench guys in for the last few minutes.
Yup, Eli was DETERMINED to start the second half and the whole team seemed to feed off of it.
Nice Eli. Eli the catalyst to todays win. JAM played more guys off the bench then usual - I thought. That is one.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Eli had the right attitude today - we need that from everybody for the next two days.

Much better second half than first - that being said, lets not get too excited about the play because Drexel was absolutely awful - 22 first half and 19 second half pts. Really bad. Either UD or CoC will not be so accommodating.

One down, two to go!