2020 CAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraHockey

Re: 2020 CAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Post by HofstraHockey »

If it's anything like softball was, the coach/SID sort of decides for them. The winning team gets 2 + most outstanding player, runner up gets 3, and that's it.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

For the ten tournaments from 2010 through 2019, here is how many teams had players on the All-Tournament team:

2019: 4
2018: 4
2017: 3
2016: 2
2015: 3
2014: 3
2013: 4
2012: 3
2011: 4
2010: 4

That's an average of 3.4, and only one tournament had players from two teams, which was when UNCW beat us in the 2016 Final. The difference between Men's Basketball and Softball is the Softball Tournament had five teams for the last four years and four teams before that, so fewer teams are in the top half of all the tournament teams.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraHockey wrote:If it's anything like softball was, the coach/SID sort of decides for them. The winning team gets 2 + most outstanding player, runner up gets 3, and that's it.
It's media voting.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Congrats to Coach Mihalich and the team. I did not think this was going to be our year because we have so little experience on the bench.

I think it will be difficult to advance past the first game using just five players. I hope the team proves me wrong.

Agree with the comments about Kante. He really developed throughout the season, but I can see why he did not make the all-tourney team. Each of the final four teams usually gets one player and the winner gets more than one.

On the post-game show, Wally Szczerbiak commented on how well the Hofstra staff develops its players. Nice to hear that.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

So fired up with excitement after we finally broke though with a CAA title after so many near misses. Is huge moment not just for the program but entire university. Even if worst- case scenario happens with no fans at early round games, we will still get tremendous national exposure from being on TV and on the many brackets getting filled out.
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

Congratulations and thanks to all in the Hofstra community for the part they played in creating this wonderful moment. Nothing succeeds like success and hopefully this will help to serve as a springboard to even greater things. The joy of the staff and team and affection they have for one another is priceless. On to the big show. Go Pride.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: Congrats to Coach Mihalich and the team. I did not think this was going to be our year because we have so little experience on the bench.
Like I always said, overrated. This year finally proved what I believed all along. Defense mattered way more than a bench.
Jojogunne wrote: I think it will be difficult to advance past the first game using just five players. I hope the team proves me wrong.
I was thinking of this last night. This is where I agree, that against bigger, faster, better players from a Top 20 program, that's where lacking a bench might hurt. Not in the CAA though. But ya never know, especially if the guards get hot with their shooting and Kante can somewhat neutralize an opposing big in the NCAAT.
Jojogunne wrote: Agree with the comments about Kante. He really developed throughout the season, but I can see why he did not make the all-tourney team. Each of the final four teams usually gets one player and the winner gets more than one.
Didn't go that way this year anyway. All six selected were from the two final teams, none from the other two among the final four. It's not about the SEASON, it's about the TOURNEY. That's all the vote is supposed to be about. It's the All-Tournament Team. Some media don't get that in their vote. Roland did not have a better tourney than Kante.
Jojogunne wrote: On the post-game show, Wally Szczerbiak commented on how well the Hofstra staff develops its players. Nice to hear that.
Thanks, Wally. Great for recruiting! Good high school player who wants to improve sees that on CBS Sports Network and thinks, "Hmm, maybe Hofstra then."
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Kante was a stud and deserves greater kudos on his tourney performance.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Wags wrote:
Jojogunne wrote: Congrats to Coach Mihalich and the team. I did not think this was going to be our year because we have so little experience on the bench.
Like I always said, overrated. This year finally proved what I believed all along. Defense mattered way more than a bench.
You also need luck to avoid injuries and fouls.

Who do you want playing major minutes in place of our starters?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:
Wags wrote:
You also need luck to avoid injuries and fouls.

Who do you want playing major minutes in place of our starters?
On this roster? No one. So, I agree with the coaching staff on that.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

So HU shuts down "spring sports,' so does that mean that men's BB will still be playing in the NCAAT if it goes forward?
dan10

Post by dan10 »

Congrats on your win. The whole situation sucks though. I feel for your players, team and fans that get to dance but not enjoy it because it is not going to happen, just a banner of what would have been. Our women now get the same thing. For big schools its not big deal (mostly) but for smaller schools never fun to see a once in a long time opportunity taken away at no fault to themselves.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Mikey77 wrote:So HU shuts down "spring sports,' so does that mean that men's BB will still be playing in the NCAAT if it goes forward?
In case you didn't see the other thread or already hear elsewhere, NCAAT is canceled.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Just got an e-mail from the CAA a few minutes ago saying a ref who worked the CAA tournament in D.C. tested positive for the coronavirus.

He didn't exhibit symptoms until 72 hours after the game he worked, so it would've been one of the earlier games since the title game was less than 48 hours ago.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I know, I had just received the same e-mail from the CAA and posted the same: https://mobile.twitter.com/JonathanJWag ... 8083424256

So then, I'm thinking... the official gives the ball to a player, who passed to another player, who passes to another player, who missed a shot which is rebounded by a player on another team, who passes to his teammate... and then I'm thinking Hofstra players are hugging everyone after they win and I got hugs or handshakes after the title game... and yeah, that's how it can spread easily.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Wags wrote:
I know, I had just received the same e-mail from the CAA and posted the same: https://mobile.twitter.com/JonathanJWag ... 8083424256

So then, I'm thinking... the official gives the ball to a player, who passed to another player, who passes to another player, who missed a shot which is rebounded by a player on another team, who passes to his teammate... and then I'm thinking Hofstra players are hugging everyone after they win and I got hugs or handshakes after the title game... and yeah, that's how it can spread easily.
Not to mention spraying your water bottle on the coach to celebrate.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Im quarantining myself for at least 48 hours
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Wags wrote:

Not to mention spraying your water bottle on the coach to celebrate.
Yes, that too.

I guess we should all be happy if we have our health. That's the main thing.

But wow, this SO disappointing. A lot of why you celebrate isn't only that you won the CAA. Sure, that's part of it. But the main reason is because you're dancing... only then, there's no dance to go to. Just sucks.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Those kids deserve better than this. Geez that sucks.