2020 CAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: 2020 CAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Post by Polito »

This was a very good day, in more ways than one!

Zero trash talk right now though, this isn’t about anyone else, laser focus time to blast this 2 decade monkey off the back - 1 down, 2 to go.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Wags wrote:Hofstra could be the only higher seed to win today and might not have to beat anyone higher than a 5 seed to win the title.

27-20, Huskies, under 4 left in the half.

Yes but unfortunately NE had the second best odds of winning the tournament and UDel was the tougher semifinal matchup. And thanks to this brainless tournament format the top seed plays the 5 and the 6 gets the 7.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:
Wags wrote:Hofstra could be the only higher seed to win today and might not have to beat anyone higher than a 5 seed to win the title.

Yes but unfortunately NE had the second best odds of winning the tournament and UDel was the tougher semifinal matchup. And thanks to this brainless tournament format the top seed plays the 5 and the 6 gets the 7.
We every conference tourney is the same way. Are you suggesting they reseed? I wouldn't mind that.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:
Hof_Judge99 wrote:

We every conference tourney is the same way. Are you suggesting they reseed? I wouldn't mind that.

I get it - but reseeding is tough - teams playing a late night game could wind up playing early the next day - not sure how fair that is. All things equal - I like the top seeds getting home games as someone previously suggested. This year - Hofstra - the ball is our hands; win 2 more games. Lets Go!
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Wags wrote:
Hof_Judge99 wrote:

That is false. Look at the American East or the NEC or any conference that knows what they’re doing. They host games at campus sites, reseed and give 2-3 days off between games. Arenas are full, matchups are fair and teams are rested. Also makes the regular season so much more meaningful. To rush this crap into 3 games in 3 days in an empty building is sad.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Yup, I agree. i suspect TV coverage is behind much of the these decisions.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Mikey77 wrote:Yup, I agree. i suspect TV coverage is behind much of the these decisions.

Hofstra (the #1 seed and clear betting favorite going into the tournament) is a 3.5 point favorite in the semis. The #6 seed is a 9 point favorite in their semifinal matchup. Not to mention Elon had to play Saturday! Makes me irate!! This is not how sports are meant to be played.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hof_Judge99 wrote: That is false. Look at the American East or the NEC or any conference that knows what they’re doing. They host games at campus sites, reseed and give 2-3 days off between games. Arenas are full, matchups are fair and teams are rested. Also makes the regular season so much more meaningful. To rush this crap into 3 games in 3 days in an empty building is sad.
Almost every conference does it the same way. AE, NEC are some rare exceptions. The atmosphere I've experienced has been pretty good in this year's tournament so far. But I wouldn't mind reseeding. I'd be fine with Hofstra vs. Elon and Delaware vs. Northeastern tonight. But be careful what you wish for. Elon is hot and very confident right now. So, in the end, I don't mind it the way it is. It's been a good tournament so far.

I mean, again. The things we choose to complain about - HU has never won this tourney and is now a 1 seed, in the semis, with 5, 6, and 7 seeds, after a surprising and fun quarterfinal day in which HU was the only higher seed to survive, and we're talking about things like tournament formats and the use of a bench which we know was extremely thin all year. I just don't get it. ENJOY THIS!
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Wags wrote:
Hof_Judge99 wrote: That is false. Look at the American East or the NEC or any conference that knows what they’re doing. They host games at campus sites, reseed and give 2-3 days off between games. Arenas are full, matchups are fair and teams are rested. Also makes the regular season so much more meaningful. To rush this crap into 3 games in 3 days in an empty building is sad.
Almost every conference does it the same way. AE, NEC are some rare exceptions. The atmosphere I've experienced has been pretty good in this year's tournament so far. But I wouldn't mind reseeding. I'd be fine with Hofstra vs. Elon and Delaware vs. Northeastern tonight. But be careful what you wish for. Elon is hot and very confident right now. So, in the end, I don't mind it the way it is. It's been a good tournament so far.
Well NE is a 9 point fav over Elon so we’d likely be 12-13 point fav against them. We’re 3.5 point favs over UD. That is roughly a 10 point difference that we get hurt by being the 1 seed. The difference is enormous, especially considering Elon played Saturday. Even if we get by UD it’s gonna be tougher since NE has a cakewalk into the finals.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Need to focus in on Delaware first. We can’t be looking past this game. We need to keep Darling in check and we should win this game. Imagine a final of HU versus Elon. That would be wild considering we won both games against them by over 20 points.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hof_Judge99 wrote: Well NE is a 9 point fav over Elon so we’d likely be 12-13 point fav against them. We’re 3.5 point favs over UD. That is roughly a 10 point difference that we get hurt by being the 1 seed. The difference is enormous, especially considering Elon played Saturday. Even if we get by UD it’s gonna be tougher since NE has a cakewalk into the finals.
They won by 9 hosting Elon and lost by 5 at Elon when Elon was playing better.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
Hof_Judge99 wrote: Well NE is a 9 point fav over Elon so we’d likely be 12-13 point fav against them. We’re 3.5 point favs over UD. That is roughly a 10 point difference that we get hurt by being the 1 seed. The difference is enormous, especially considering Elon played Saturday. Even if we get by UD it’s gonna be tougher since NE has a cakewalk into the finals.
Yeah, it's no cakewalk. Ask W&M. Elon is a different team right now.Woods, Sheffield and McIntosh are tough.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Wags wrote:
EvanJ wrote:
Yeah, it's no cakewalk. Ask W&M. Elon is a different team right now.Woods, Sheffield and McIntosh are tough.

Looks like a cakewalk so far to me.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hof_Judge99 wrote: Looks like a cakewalk so far to me.
Okay, but Hofstra was also up 22 on Delaware and still won by 14. So, was the format really a factor? And shouldn't we be talking about Hofstra being in the CAA TITLE GAME TWO YEARS STRAIGHT?!! Let's enjoy that!
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Wags wrote:
Okay, but Hofstra was also up 22 on Delaware and still won by 14. So, was the format really a factor? And shouldn't we be talking about Hofstra being in the CAA TITLE GAME TWO YEARS STRAIGHT?!! Let's enjoy that!

Somewhat, yes, since I think Delaware would’ve given NE a game but sure let’s talk about it, I expect us to be a 2-3 point favorite. Should be a great game!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Northeastern leads Elon 37-21 at the half.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Northeastern leads Elon 37-21 at the half.
52-42 now and Elon outplaying NU in the second half.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Not at 52-45 with 5:11 left, it shouldn't.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Northeastern won 68-60. We used Buie for 40, Ray for 39, Kante for 38, and Pemberton for 37, with 18 bench minutes. Northeasten used Shaquille Walters for 40, Jordan Roland for 38, and Bolden Brace for 36.

This is only the third time that consecutive CAA Finals had the same matchups. Richmond beat Navy in 1984, and Navy beat Richmond in 1985. JMU beat ODU in 1994, and ODU beat JMU in 1995. We hope that this will make all three times that each team won one tournament.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I thought Kante was robbed of making the All-Tourney team by a "reputation" vote that Roland didn't deserve. Great season, but not a great tourney for Roland.

I voted for Kante.
https://twitter.com/JonathanJWagner/sta ... 9133379585

But, all good. Kante got something way more important!