MBB Game 26 vs. Charleston on 2/13/20 at 7:00 P.M. on CBSSN

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: MBB Game 26 vs. Charleston on 2/13/20 at 7:00 P.M. on CB

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Well, with any luck, we will win the conference, and UD and W&M will finish 2-3 or 3-2, so we would only have to face one of them if we make it to the championship game. Right?
People say the 1 seed doesn't matter, and ultimately, it didn't matter last year or in 2016. But for this reason, it still helps your odds when the 1 seed gives you the reward of the easiest path to a CAAT title by have to go through as few of the top teams as possible while a 2 or 3 seed has to likely go through that one extra top team. Plus, there's also a confidence thing of going into the tourney as the 1 seed and the team to beat, knowing that if you can play your game, you should be able to beat anyone else.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

You also have an automatic NIT berth in your back pocket.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Wags wrote:People say the 1 seed doesn't matter, and ultimately, it didn't matter last year or in 2016. But for this reason, it still helps your odds when the 1 seed gives you the reward of the easiest path to a CAAT title by have to go through as few of the top teams as possible while a 2 or 3 seed has to likely go through that one extra top team. Plus, there's also a confidence thing of going into the tourney as the 1 seed and the team to beat, knowing that if you can play your game, you should be able to beat anyone else.
Exactly. I think it helped us last year, we kind of limped to the finish line, I'm not sure we would have made it to the title game if we didn't have Delaware in the semifinals. Obviously you can't win the tournament if you're not in the finals, so I would welcome the easiest path there every year. It's a reward for being the most consistent team during the regular season.

I get the sentiment that being #1 doesn't matter if our goal is the NCAAT. I like seeing us in the NIT, but we've been so close to breaking through. If last year felt like NCAA or bust, that feeling is magnified this season. The reason being there's a massive void next year without Pemberton and Buie, and we really are the top dog this season in the CAA. In '16, UNCW came on strong, last year Northeastern had a little more than us, this season, I think we're the best, we have more balanced scoring and better guard play than the rest of the league.