MBB Game 26 vs. Charleston on 2/13/20 at 7:00 P.M. on CBSSN

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: MBB Game 26 vs. Charleston on 2/13/20 at 7:00 P.M. on CB

Post by Wags »

Spoke to Pemberton after the postgame tonight. He had some good things to say on a few various subjects we touched on:

On being in first place:

It definitely feels good. We like the feeling that we have a target on our back... I think staying in first place is big. Not even just getting a regular-season championship, but especially heading into March. It’s just a feel-good type of thing. We can’t be comfortable at all. We’ve got to make sure that we buckle down… staying in first place is definitely a priority and I think that motivates us. First place, it can’t be a bad thing, but we’re not complacent.

On the defense:

I think that we’ve got a lot of veteran guys on our team and a lot of smart guys defensively. We kind of changed our zone this year, from last year and our coaches do such a great job. Moving together, different slides, it kind of helped us be more in sync with each other, guys making sure they know who they’re guarding, I think that’s the big key. That’s because we’ve got a lot of veteran guys. We’ve been through this year after year, so we understand personnel is such a big key. We’re all in sync. Once the ball moves, we move with the ball. It just comes from experience. My freshman year, we played a zone and it would [be] all over the place, and the progress that we had each year from our zone… it’s just a credit to the coaches.

On his ups and downs in different games (like his 2-point game at Charleston last month and his dominant game tonight):

Sometimes, it can be a confidence thing… I’m not just an offensive player. We have so many weapons… so I’m always staying prepared to make sure I just do the little things, and if that’s going to get us a win, that’s all I need, and if that’s going to have us cut down nets, that’s even a bigger plus.

On being the preseason favorite, being inconsistent early and being more consistent during their current 5-game winning streak:

I don’t think there was pressure because early in the season, Coach could tell you, we weren’t the No. 1 team. They just picked us because we finished No. 1 last year. Our defense just got better every game and the little things, like the win at UCLA, we started recognizing right then and there who we can be. We still had flurries of some games we’d lose, just not being mentally there and I think we got past that point, finally. February’s a big month. We always emphasize we’ve got to win in February if we want to be good in March. So, guys are locked in. It’s definitely a different feel from the beginning of the season, how locked in guys are [now].
Last edited by Wags on Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

While the offense is what people will notice about Pemberton, it should be noted that he's had four steals in each of his last two games.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Great win tonight, our most complete victory of the year.

Offensively, I can't believe the looks we got inside. I think Charleston is a good matchup for us, but we played with awesome intensity. Eli was a man possessed, one of his best games, in our most important game to date. Other than the uncharacteristic amount of turnovers, I thought we moved the ball really well, shot selection was so good tonight, and it felt like all five players on the court were threats to score on any given possession.

Defensively, we were very solid in the half court. First off we really took care of business on the glass, Coburn and Kante cleaned up, Charleston only had 4 offensive rebounds, they never had a chance to extend possessions and get back into the game. Riller is honestly one of the best offensive players I can remember in the CAA, like on the level of JJ Barea. He kept Charleston alive, especially his work in transition, but we did an excellent job shutting down their secondary scoring. Defending the perimeter may be our defensive calling card this year, Charleston didn't have a 3 in the second half from the under 12 until garbage time.

Crazy we won a game going away with no scoring from Buie in the second half. He played well too, that no look feed to Kante was insane, it just seems like something has clicked and we're starting to play our peak basketball on this winning streak. It never felt like Charleston was going to get back into this game. The only negative was Kante tweaking his right shoulder going after a loose ball in the 2nd half. He played through it, but seemed to re-agitate it on his last bucket, hopefully he's good for Saturdays game against the dub, gotta keep taking care of business.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Only negative was the turnout with 2502 listed in official boxscore
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

garyg wrote:Only negative was the turnout with 2502 listed in official boxscore
Shame that off of the Sat crowd we could only get 2500 into the building. Our Saturday crowds ae much better and that's due to the community. Lot's of families, kids running around...the staff has done a great job.

I wonder when the students will wake up and realize that there is something special going on this season at the Mack.

This team reminds me of Jay Wright's SECOND NCAA team after Speedy graduated...similar in that Justin, our superstar graduated.

The seniors that year, Richardson, Hernandez and others put together a great season and almost beat UCLA in the first round.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Despite the high amount of turnovers they won this one going away.
Big difference from last year's team is the defense. Teams could get open 3 point looks at will against the zone last year.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Flying Dutchmen wrote: Riller is honestly one of the best offensive players I can remember in the CAA, like on the level of JJ Barea.
Riller has four games before the CAA Tournament. At his season average, he needs seven games to pass Jenkins for second in CAA career points behind David Robinson. In his only season in the CAA, Barea averaged 21.0 points and 8.4 assists. He won POY. However, he shot threes 66/227 = .291. Teammates Shawn James, Aaron Davis, and Adrian Martinez combined to shoot threes 100/232 = .431. Gary Neal's 2006-2007 was better than Barea's 2005-2006. I think Stokes was more deserving of POY as a sophomore when Old Dominion's Alex Loughton won it than as a senior, when I thought Neal was better. Neither Barea nor Neal had two full seasons in the CAA. Since we joined the CAA, the most career points by players on other teams are Riller, Delaware's Devon Saddler 2,222, and W&M's Marcus Thornton with 2,178. UNCW's Brett Blizzard scored 2,144 and won POY in our first two seasons in the CAA. He was in the CAA for his whole career, but we were only in the CAA in his last two seasons. Blizzard has the CAA record of 371 threes, and Agudio is second with 357.
cactus wrote: Big difference from last year's team is the defense. Teams could get open 3 point looks at will against the zone last year.
Our opponents are shooting threes .309, which would be the lowest since our opponents since we allowed .307 in 2012-2013 (when teams shot threes .006 better than this season), but we went 7-25 because our offense was horrible.

We're up to ninth of 353 teams with a .778 free throw percentage.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:I wonder when the students will wake up and realize that there is something special going on this season at the Mack.
Yep - very disappointing following the halftime awards to see the majority of the students leave the Mack. Its tough enough to get them there in the first place, but even when they are already there, they still bolt at the first chance they get - and this was a very good game to watch!!

Minor item, but I can't figure out why they gave up the whole middle section of the Lions Den to the HS flag people who (by the nature of what they do) have 4-5 open seats between each flag person. If I was a student (one of the few who actually wanted to be there), I would not have appreciated having to sit in the upper level, while all the seats were left empty in the lower section. Minor comment, but still...….

Getting back to the game itself, the guys played well and I really like the quality of the defense we're playing. Its taken more than a few years to happen, but better late than never. I was going to start singling out and complimenting players, but heck, they all contributed - job well done!
Last edited by Cards on Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote: Riller is honestly one of the best offensive players I can remember in the CAA, like on the level of JJ Barea.
Riller has four games before the CAA Tournament. At his season average, he needs seven games to pass Jenkins for second in CAA career points behind David Robinson. In his only season in the CAA, Barea averaged 21.0 points and 8.4 assists. He won POY. However, he shot threes 66/227 = .291. Teammates Shawn James, Aaron Davis, and Adrian Martinez combined to shoot threes 100/232 = .431. Gary Neal's 2006-2007 was better than Barea's 2005-2006. I think Stokes was more deserving of POY as a sophomore when Old Dominion's Alex Loughton won it than as a senior, when I thought Neal was better. Neither Barea nor Neal had two full seasons in the CAA. Since we joined the CAA, the most career points by players on other teams are Riller, Delaware's Devon Saddler 2,222, and W&M's Marcus Thornton with 2,178. UNCW's Brett Blizzard scored 2,144 and won POY in our first two seasons in the CAA. He was in the CAA for his whole career, but we were only in the CAA in his last two seasons. Blizzard has the CAA record of 371 threes, and Agudio is second with 357.
cactus wrote: Big difference from last year's team is the defense. Teams could get open 3 point looks at will against the zone last year.
Our opponents are shooting threes .309
Ranks second in the CAA now, behind only Drexel (.303).
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Cards wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:I wonder when the students will wake up and realize that there is something special going on this season at the Mack.
Yep - very disappointing following the halftime awards to see the majority of the students leave the Mack. Its tough enough to get them there in the first place, but even when they are already there, they still bolt at the first chance they get - and this was a very good game to watch!!

Minor item, but I can't figure out why they gave up the whole middle section of the Lions Den to the HS flag people who (by the nature of what they do) have 4-5 open seats between each flag person. If I was a student (one of the few who actually wanted to be there), I would not have appreciated having to sit in the upper level, while all the seats were left empty in the lower section. Minor comment, but still...….

Getting back to the game itself, the guys played well and I really like the quality of the defense we're playing. Its taken more than a few years to happen, but better late than never. I was going to start singling out and complimenting players, but heck, they all contributed - job well done!
I was thinking the same thing as far as Freeport dance team taking up good part of the student section. What if there was a big student turnout then where would they have gone? I'm glad to have Freeport band and dancers at game, but there must be a better place to position them.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

I may be in the minority here but I really think more Truehart and less Silverio has been a huge help for this team. Sure looks like the real first place showdown will be next Saturday in Newark as UDel has gotten red hot having won 7 in a row.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:I may be in the minority here but I really think more Truehart and less Silverio has been a huge help for this team.
My guess is you're in the majority with that, actually. I know I agree.
Hof_Judge99 wrote: Sure looks like the real first place showdown will be next Saturday in Newark as UDel has gotten red hot having won 7 in a row.
Yes, which is why it's even more important to not have a letdown after last night and simply take care of business against UNCW tomorrow.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just a bit of a reality check here and yes Delaware has been playing well no question but they have to play in order W&M tomorrow away, N.E. THURSDAY THEN US ON Saturday COC the following Thursday and finally UNCW. Our schedule is much easier so if Delaware can somehow beat us out for first place my hat goes off to them but I don't believe its going to happen. They very well could lose tomorrow to W&M we'll see.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:Just a bit of a reality check here and yes Delaware has been playing well no question but they have to play in order W&M tomorrow away, N.E. THURSDAY THEN US ON Saturday COC the following Thursday and finally UNCW. Our schedule is much easier so if Delaware can somehow beat us out for first place my hat goes off to them but I don't believe its going to happen. They very well could lose tomorrow to W&M we'll see.
This is the CAA. Hofstra could very well have a letdown after last night and lose to UNCW tomorrow, especially if they get complacent. Keep the foot on the gas. No time for letting up right now because of Delaware's schedule or anyone else's. Delaware has won seven straight. They can beat anyone on any given night, tough schedule or not. The moment you take things for granted in this conference is the moment it comes back to bite you. That's why I like what I heard from Pemberton (posted earlier in this thread). It's the right mindset for them right now.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Just a bit of a reality check here and yes Delaware has been playing well no question but they have to play in order W&M tomorrow away, N.E. THURSDAY THEN US ON Saturday COC the following Thursday and finally UNCW. Our schedule is much easier so if Delaware can somehow beat us out for first place my hat goes off to them but I don't believe its going to happen. They very well could lose tomorrow to W&M we'll see.
This is the CAA. Hofstra could very well have a letdown after last night and lose to UNCW tomorrow, especially if they get complacent. Keep the foot on the gas. No time for letting up right now because of Delaware's schedule or anyone else's. Delaware has won seven straight. They can beat anyone on any given night, tough schedule or not. The moment you take things for granted in this conference is the moment it comes back to bite you. That's why I like what I heard from Pemberton (posted earlier in this thread). It's the right mindset for them right now.
What u r saying here is a no brainer and of course anyone could lose to anyone but in common sense terms we have a much more favorable schedule then Delaware that's all I'm saying. Nobody is saying or inferring we should get complacent quite the opposite but the schedule is in our favor and that is clearly obvious.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:
What u r saying here is a no brainer and of course anyone could lose to anyone but in common sense terms we have a much more favorable schedule then Delaware that's all I'm saying. Nobody is saying or inferring we should get complacent quite the opposite but the schedule is in our favor and that is clearly obvious.
Yeah, I hear ya. The schedule is in their favor. We just know that doesn't mean much if you start to think that and get complacent. When that happens, you can lose to anyone in the CAA. But, they treated today's game against UNCW perfectly. Joe summed that up well after the game today, and it was actually the first thing he said, long before the 400th win, Kante's career highs, Eli passing David Taylor or anything else, which says a lot about their focus being where it needed to be:

"I’m just really proud of the guys for how they handled the day. Everybody else is going to look at the records and say, ‘Well, [UNCW] only [has] three league wins and they’re in ninth place, the coach got fired halfway through [the season], it’s a home game, all you’ve got to do is show up and win, [UNCW is] not any good, and our guys weren’t that way. They treated the game the right way.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

and P.S. looked what happened to Delaware yesterday. I watched this game in its entirety from Flo sports after the HU game. They(Delaware) had a 7 point lead at the half and couldn't stop Mr Nathan Knight just an incredible game from him. He can take a game over scoring rebounds block shots on and on. This was a real battle this game and a few technicals called on both teams. That kid Mutts was trying to get into Knight's head but Knight got in his face thought there was going to be a brawl there. Also couldn't believe how good a shooter the kid from Delaware is Nate Darling. He was almost automatic from beyond the arc hitting one tough shot after another. This was a very competitive entertaining and enjoyable game to watch and its a bit foreboding as to what can happen come playoff time.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Well, with any luck, we will win the conference, and UD and W&M will finish 2-3 or 3-2, so we would only have to face one of them if we make it to the championship game. Right?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Jojogunne wrote:Well, with any luck, we will win the conference, and UD and W&M will finish 2-3 or 3-2, so we would only have to face one of them if we make it to the championship game. Right?
And Northeastern ends up 6 or 7 to lump them in with those 2 and only have to face 1 of those 3 in a potential championship game.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'm looking forward to us playing Delaware on Sat. but obviously don't want to look past Drexel. Both us and Delaware playing well so this could be a preview of things to come in the tourney if we should meet.