MBB: Game 25 - vs. Northeastern (Sat 2/8, 4:00 pm)

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

MBB: Game 25 - vs. Northeastern (Sat 2/8, 4:00 pm)

Post by Wags »

Big game for HU for a few reasons:

- HU (8-3) is sandwiched in the top 3, right between 1st-place CofC (9-3) and 3rd-place W&M (8-4), each of whom have seemingly very winnable games on Sat (Elon @ CofC, W&M @ UNCW). So, to keep pace, HU has to get this one.

- At some point down the stretch, NU, which is only in 7th place (at 5-6) due to a lot of very close losses, figures to straighten things out and start climbing the standings, making a push at the end, to head into the CAAT with momentum and talent, despite not having a great record. If that does happen, let that be at other teams' expense this month instead of that starting in Hempstead on Saturday. Rather than letting them get back to .500, keep them down and push them two games under .500 so they have even more making up to do over the final one-third of their CAA schedule after this one.

- HU has largely played very well on the road this year, but has been shaky at home. Down the stretch of CAA play, they finish with 5 of 7 at home. So, to end CAA play well, to get a good seed, and to go to D.C. with momentum, they have to start showing they can be a lot more consistent at home. That needs to start on Saturday against a struggling but always dangerous team.

- Finally, after such a great road trip with those two 23-point wins at Elon and at W&M, don't come home and let the air out of the balloon. Build off of that great trip last week, well rested, having not played in a week, and put forth another good effort in front of the home crowd to make it 4 straight wins.
triplec2195

Re: MBB: Game 25 - vs. Northeastern (Sat 2/8, 4:00 pm)

Post by triplec2195 »

The reality of the situation is that we probably need to win the rest of our games there's not a whole lot of room for error here. Every game is so important with everyone so close in the standings. We could be playing COC for sole possession of first place next Thursday and lets hope that's the way it plays out. COC took it to W&M last night and really outplayed them almost from the opening tip off. Really after Knight Bill and Mary don't have all that much. COC wins last night by 18 with Riller only scoring 10 points. If we win the next two games and I don't want to take anything for granted our big game will be against Delaware on the road Feb. 22. Delaware has worked themselves back into the mix as of right now with only 4 losses. We can't have any hiccups against the bottom tier teams.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

NE will be a desperate team coming in here tomorrow...they have lost quite a few close games including the one against us at their place so they will be out for blood.

We also should be motivated by them killing our 16 game streak last year and knocking us off in the CAA Championship...agree we need to play better at home...hope there is a good crowd.

Got some great publicity last night with Sam Ryan of ABC visiting the Mack and speaking with Desure, Eli and Joe...nice piece!
Wags

Post by Wags »

It's also Winter Homecoming and Throwback Day tomorrow. HU will be wearing Hofstra replica uniforms from Speedy's era and fans will receive Speedy t-shirts. Dogs catching frisbees at halftime, as well.

https://gohofstra.com/sports/2019/10/22 ... oming.aspx
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: - At some point down the stretch, NU, which is only in 7th place (at 5-6) due to a lot of very close losses, figures to straighten things out and start climbing the standings, making a push at the end, to head into the CAAT with momentum and talent, despite not having a great record. If that does happen, let that be at other teams' expense this month instead of that starting in Hempstead on Saturday. Rather than letting them get back to .500, keep them down and push them two games under .500 so they have even more making up to do over the final one-third of their CAA schedule after this one.
Forgetting about NU climbing in general, if we win we will lead them by 4 games and the two-way tiebreaker with 6 games left, along with the same remaining schedule. If we win, W&M beats UNCW, and Delaware beats JMU, us and W&M will clinch finishing above JMU and UNCW. Charleston clinched over the bottom two, and they would clinch at least a tie and head-to-head sweep over Elon if they beat Elon, but to say if they clinched over Elon you would have to check the one in a million chance scenarios of them and at least one other team being in a tie.

Tomorrow's other games are:

Towson at Drexel at 2:00 P.M.
JMU at Delaware at 2:00 P.M. on SNY (the last Saturday CAA game on national TV or regional TV here)
Elon at Charleston at 4:00 P.M.
W&M at UNCW at 7:00 P.M.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote:The reality of the situation is that we probably need to win the rest of our games there's not a whole lot of room for error here. Every game is so important with everyone so close in the standings. We could be playing COC for sole possession of first place next Thursday and lets hope that's the way it plays out. COC took it to W&M last night and really outplayed them almost from the opening tip off. Really after Knight Bill and Mary don't have all that much. COC wins last night by 18 with Riller only scoring 10 points. If we win the next two games and I don't want to take anything for granted our big game will be against Delaware on the road Feb. 22. Delaware has worked themselves back into the mix as of right now with only 4 losses. We can't have any hiccups against the bottom tier teams.
I mean we probably can lose at most 1 more game (assuming it isn't the Charleston game) and feel confident in the 1 seed but at the end of the day it is all about the 3 days in March down in DC. The difference between the 1 and 2 seed won't be much and even the 3 seed would be similar in regards to the teams to beat to cut down the nets. As much as I'd love another regular season championship it doesn't mean much.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraMathew wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:The reality of the situation is that we probably need to win the rest of our games there's not a whole lot of room for error here. Every game is so important with everyone so close in the standings. We could be playing COC for sole possession of first place next Thursday and lets hope that's the way it plays out. COC took it to W&M last night and really outplayed them almost from the opening tip off. Really after Knight Bill and Mary don't have all that much. COC wins last night by 18 with Riller only scoring 10 points. If we win the next two games and I don't want to take anything for granted our big game will be against Delaware on the road Feb. 22. Delaware has worked themselves back into the mix as of right now with only 4 losses. We can't have any hiccups against the bottom tier teams.
I mean we probably can lose at most 1 more game (assuming it isn't the Charleston game) and feel confident in the 1 seed but at the end of the day it is all about the 3 days in March down in DC. The difference between the 1 and 2 seed won't be much and even the 3 seed would be similar in regards to the teams to beat to cut down the nets. As much as I'd love another regular season championship it doesn't mean much.
The 1 seed can matter for three reasons:

- Assuming no major upsets earlier on, you have (in theory) an easier path to the CAA Finals (playing the 4 or 5 in the in the semis) as opposed to the 2 and 3 playing each other in the semis.
- It's not the ultimate goal, but if that goal isn't realized, the 1 seed means a fallback of an automatic NIT berth whereas the 2 seed guarantees nothing in that regard.
- While nothing can lure recruits like NCAAT berths or alumni getting drafted in the NBA, racking up as many regular season titles as possible can only help with recruiting.

p.s. Hopefully, the students will take advantage of this to show up in good numbers and provide a good atmosphere:
https://twitter.com/HofstraTickets/stat ... 5735895040
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Wags wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:
The 1 seed can matter for three reasons:

- Assuming no major upsets earlier on, you have (in theory) an easier path to the CAA Finals (playing the 4 or 5 in the in the semis) as opposed to the 2 and 3 playing each other in the semis.
- It's not the ultimate goal, but if that goal isn't realized, the 1 seed means a fallback of an automatic NIT berth whereas the 2 seed guarantees nothing in that regard.
- While nothing can lure recruits like NCAAT berths or alumni getting drafted in the NBA, racking up as many regular season titles as possible can only help with recruiting.

p.s. Hopefully, the students will take advantage of this to show up in good numbers and provide a good atmosphere:
https://twitter.com/HofstraTickets/stat ... 5735895040
Of course the 1 seed has advantages; my point was that saying no room for error is a bit strong. If we lose a couple games but learn from them and end up a better team heading into the conference tournament as a 2 or 3 seed I am not going to think damn we really messed up in not getting the 1 seed. These next two games will really help define where we will fall in the regular season standings.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Last season we were 76th in the NET after our NIT loss, and we would have been a candidate for the NIT without the automatic bid. Now we're 128th in the NET and have no chance at the NIT at-large. If we don't win the CAA Tournament and/or regular season, the best we can get is the CBI or CIT, which some teams decline. We declined two seasons ago, which prevented Gustys from breaking David Robinson's CAA career rebounding record. I can't guarantee that we were invited, but we were 110th in the RPI (before the was created), and much worse mid-majors get invited.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Winning the regular season championship is important for sure based on reasons already stated but of course getting into the NCAA tourney is the pot of gold at the end of this season. I definitely feel we had a successful season if we get into the NIT especially after losing 2 starters and one with the pedigree of JWF. We have played well for the most part and have a real chance to win this thing so we need to hold serve here and win out which we're very capable of doing.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://gohofstra.com/news/2020/2/6/men ... oming.aspx is Hofstra's preview titled "MBB: Hofstra Hosts Northeastern On Winter Homecoming."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... game25.pdf is Hofstra's Game Notes.

https://nuhuskies.com/news/2020/2/7/men ... fstra.aspx is Northeastern's preview titled "Northeastern Travels to Hofstra."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/northeastern.i ... _08_20.pdf is Northeastern's Game Notes.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

triplec2195 wrote: I definitely feel we had a successful season if we get into the NIT especially after losing 2 starters and one with the pedigree of JWF. l

I hate this attitude, it’s a losers mentality. We start multiple seniors and were picked to win the conference before the season started. The NIT sucks. To me even if we win the NIT it’s a failed season if we don’t cut down the nets in DC. It’s NCAAs or bust, plain and simple.

With that being said NE’s 6 losses have been by a total of 14 point. Obviously they’re better than their record (as the 4 point spread indicates). Big game, need to show up.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: I definitely feel we had a successful season if we get into the NIT especially after losing 2 starters and one with the pedigree of JWF. l

I hate this attitude, it’s a losers mentality. We start multiple seniors and were picked to win the conference before the season started. The NIT sucks. To me even if we win the NIT it’s a failed season if we don’t cut down the nets in DC. It’s NCAAs or bust, plain and simple.

With that being said NE’s 6 losses have been by a total of 14 point. Obviously they’re better than their record (as the 4 point spread indicates). Big game, need to show up.
That's a bit strong I think Hof Judge 99 but I know where you're coming from. It actually sounds like the real Yankee speaking here of course we all want the dance so bad but if it doesn't happen my feeling is we at least get something for all our hard work and a resulting successful season. Remember even JAM thought it was ridiculous that we were picked first and there were a lot of dissenting opinions around. On this board alone most of us thought it was a stretch and didn't think we should have been picked first. I myself thought 2 or 3 so I don't feel I'm thinking with a losers mentality but we'll agree to disagree. I recently said 1-5 we're the best team in this conference but you know that doesn't guarantee us anything.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We've won regular season titles without winning the CAA Tournament, so it would be nice to win the CAA Tournament even if we're not the best. The object is not to make six NITs since our last NCAA Tournament appearance. Furthermore, with Buie and Pemberton graduating and nobody on the bench gaining much experience, I'm worried about next season. Expecting Silverio, Burgess, and/or a guard who will be a freshman next season to start and play 30 minutes is a lot different from Ray's sixth man experience.

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2020 ... stern.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Northeastern." Both games last week were unicorn scores, meaning the first time we won by that score. We're up to nine unicorn scores this season after having ten last season. We're 17-7 for the fourth time. Two of the three complete seasons that we started 17-7 were 1998-1999 and 2004-2005, when we made the NIT and were better the next season. He wrote:

"The consecutive 23-point wins over Elon and William & Mary by the Dutchmen marked the first back-to-back 20-point road wins by Hofstra since Nov. 18-21, 2000, when the Dutchmen beat Florida International, 78-50 and Florida Atlantic, 87-67."

Buie is 29th in career points. He's two behind Lester and 22 behind Ted Jackson. 12 of the players above Buie spent at least some of their time in the CAA. Buie has scored more in the CAA than Rick Apodaca, who was in the AE and CAA for two seasons. To reach the top ten for Hofstra points in the CAA, Buie needs to pass Lester and Gustys. Buie is 47 behind Gustys, so hopefully he will pass Gustys on this three game homestand. Bernardi and Green are tied with 2 more than Gustys, so Buie could be our eighth highest-scoring player in the CAA by the end of the homestand. He would trail Jenkins, JWF, Agudio, Stokes, Pemberton, Adeleke, and Rivera. Buie is 6 assists behind Jenkins in fifth, and passing Jenkins would give Buie the most by a Hofstra player in the CAA and most by a Hofstra player since career leader Claxton. Buie should pass Jenkins on the homestand, and if he doesn't do it today, he could do it on CBS Sports Network. I don't know if CBSSN will know or care, but it is something they could say if Buie takes the most career assists by a Hofstra player since Claxton, who some non-Hofstra fans have heard of from the NBA.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

ESPN's matchup predictor gives us a 66.2% chance of winning and favors us by 4.

I think it will come down to who is more desperate and wants to win more...Northeastern's season is on the ropes and another loss will bury them in the standings even further.

We need to win to get back to first place, avenge last year's CAA Championship loss and the end of our 16 game winning streak last year in Boston.

Like to think we'll come out on top.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:ESPN's matchup predictor gives us a 66.2% chance of winning and favors us by 4.

I think it will come down to who is more desperate and wants to win more...Northeastern's season is on the ropes and another loss will bury them in the standings even further.

We need to win to get back to first place, avenge last year's CAA Championship loss and the end of our 16 game winning streak last year in Boston.

Like to think we'll come out on top.
With u on this HUSID and we need to be a dominant team at home. Lets keep the momentum going from the two road wins and carry it straight thru the CAA playoffs.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Don’t like playing NU when Cohen has his back against the wall - with HU not playing great at home (sadly the pitiful atmosphere plays a factor in the diff between home and road), this is going to be a tough game

If HU can pull out this W with those elements it will be a feather in their cap IMO in terms of readiness to win this thing

I like HU to win anything and everything they can, regular season included - but outside it is and the team, no one cares - I’ll bet good money no recruit gives that much weight, prob couldn’t name half the teams in the conf, and likely don’t even know exactly where HU is when they start getting recruited - winning the reg season means jack

This program needs to dance, end of story - it’s the only thing anyone cares about

I don’t have that expectation for them this yr per say, don’t think that can be put on them the yr JWF is gone - and I didn’t think they would or should be picked 1

So I don’t think that’s the demand this yr specifically (I would be ecstatic if it actually happened) - BUT overall, it’s the 7th yr of this regime, UD and NU have already done it, and HU has done nothing but choke, so the expectation for this staff and program is the NCAAT - stinks that weight is so heavy this yr, a yr I don’t think that’s what it should be, but that’s what happens when you blow it the yrs you had no excuse to

A regular season champ and the NIT would be a good yr after losing a pro talent, we have to be fair. BUT it’s not going to appease not cutting nets again whatsoever. JM is on the clock to me - wasted more talent than anyone else in the league - and franklybnow that the season has shown itself, HU looks to have the near top talent again - get the damn job done.
Wags

Post by Wags »

A few stats of note for today:

* The Huskies are 8-0 this season when shooting 50%.
* They're 0-8 this year when allowing at least 50%.
* Bill Coen can tie Bruiser Flint for second all-time in CAA wins (158) with a victory today.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We're down 11-1. Stony Brook started at 12:00 P.M. when they normally start at 7:00 P.M., and they didn't score until 8:18 was played. Kante committed his second offensive foul with 16:12 left in the half and was replaced by Schutte. I didn't see the first one, and the second one was an illegal screen.

Edit: We went down 20-4 and trail 20-6 with the ball with 11:39 left in the half. Maxime Boursiquot committed his second foul, which was Northeastern's fifth, so maybe we will get a lot of free throw attempts.

I missed the beginning because I watched the end of JMU at Delaware. JMU was down 78-76, could have held for the final shot, and made a layup with 14 seconds left. With 5.1 seconds left, Nate Darling banked in the game-winning layup. Deshon Parker got to the basket and missed at the buzzer to let Delaware win 80-78 and extend their winning streak to 6.

Edit: Pemberton is shooting a ton. He missed his first 5. Then he shot 4 times in 49 seconds and made a three and a two. Northeastern's lead, which peaked at 16, is down to 24-15, and Northeastern called timeout. We called timeout before the first media timeout.

Edit: Pemberton has 10 points, got his third steal, was fouled by Brace, and will shoot a one-and-one. Buie has no points, no rebounds, 1 assist, no steals, and a rare block. Our deficit went down to 9 and back up to 11 at 34-23. Roland has 19 points.

Edit: We went down 34-28 with 2:05 left, but got worse. Northeastern got an offensive rebound and 2 free throws by Bolden Brace. After Pemberton traveled (the announcers incorrectly called it an offensive foul), Roland missed a three, but Coburn committed his second foul by knocking Brace down, and Brace made 2 free throws. Ray missed a three, and Tyson Walker scored with 44 seconds left to go up 40-28. Buie lost the ball out of bounds with 30.1 seconds left, so Northeastern could have held for the final shot, but with 4.6 seconds left Greg Eboigbodin traveled. Buie, who before that had 1 point from 1 of 2 free throws, made his first field goal at the buzzer to go down 40-30. Pemberton scored 12 by making 2 of each shot. He shot twos horribly at 2-8, threes 2-3, and free throws 2-2. Ray shot 2-9 and scored 5, but at least he had 3 rebounds and 2 assists. He's tied for our second leading scorer with Trueheart. In 9 minutes, he shot field goals 2-2, made a free throw from a dunk and foul, and had 3 rebounds and 2 blocks. Kante had no points, 1 rebound, 2 fouls, and 2 turnovers.
After committing his second foul 3:48 in, he sat for the rest of the half. Schutte played 12 minutes, scored 2, and had a whopping 5 offensive and 8 total rebounds to lead all players. Buie, Pemberton, and Ray played the whole half. No guards came off the bench. Roland has 19, and that's without scoring in the last 5:31, during which we gained only 4 points. Brace has 8 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 assists. He made his only field goal and all 6 free throws. Tyson Walker, who averages 11.3 points and 3.6 assists, has 4 points and 2 assists. Shaquille Walters has 5 points and 6 rebounds, so he exceeded his average of 4.1 points.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Elon leads Charleston 32-30, so if we make a big comeback and they hold on, we take first.

Edit: Buie stole the ball and was fouled with 10:23 left. If he makes both, he will tie the game, and Northeastern has led since Roland scored 19 seconds in. It would also extend Buie's double-digit streak. With 14:12 left, Northeastern had 6 second half fouls, and we had none. With 12:03 left, Northeastern had 9 second half fouls, and we had one. Buie made both to tie the game at 50.

Edit: Pemberton missed two threes that could have given us our first lead. Shaquille Walters missed by the basket, got his rebound, and scored to go up 52-50. Ray made a three with 9:01 left for our first lead at 53-52. Roland scored 2 to take the lead back. Buie made a three with 8:18 left to go up 56-54 and a long three with 7:40 left to go up 59-54. Northeastern has the ball with 6:50 left.
Last edited by EvanJ on Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.