President Rabinowitz retiring August 2021

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraHockey

President Rabinowitz retiring August 2021

Post by HofstraHockey »

In an email sent out by the school, they've announced that President Rabinowitz will be retiring at the end of his current contract, at the end of August, 2021.

Love him or hate him, he made some major impacts on the school. Yes, football, but yes, three presidential debates, a medical school, a nursing program, an engineering school, and a much higher academic standard for admission.
HUSID74

Re: President Rabinowitz retiring August 2021

Post by HUSID74 »

Just saw the email. All in all a great president, but for me what he did to football will forever stain his accomplishments.

Will be interesting to follow the search for his successor...big decision that will shape the school's future.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Agreed he did plenty good in his two decades at helm despite my disappointment of way football decision was handled. It will be good to have fresh blood though so am looking forward to see who the BOT selects as his successor. I hope they seriously consider someone from outside Hofstra who can give a fresh perspective on how to move the university forward and hopefully it is also someone who embraces value that athletics brings to a school.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Very interesting. As a Hofstra alum, I'm proud of the accomplishments that were noted above. But, as also noted above, the football decision has irked me. I have to say that the former was more important than the latter, but maybe a president with better vision could've accomplished what President Rabinowitz did while saving football as well? I'm not sure. In any case, if the BOT makeup is largely the same as it was a decade ago, or if the existing BOT shares the same priorities as the one back then, and if the current BOT is largely sticking around a while, it's doubtful we'll see football return or more of a priority placed on HU athletics as a whole. Time will tell. Anyway, it might be exciting to have a fresh start with a new president after having the same one for the past two decades.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Saw this during my lunch break, and I really do not know exactly how I feel. One can hope a new leader will see HU with a new perspective and consider changes, or should it really be improvements. New leaders typically review all aspects, and then make alterations. Maybe the new president and BOT will hopefully ask the alumni what they think. I have made my thoughts on football, and the rest of the HU athletic department in other threads, I will not address them here. I will say congratulations to President Rabinowitz for all his long 50 years of service to HU, and I wish him well in his retirement. I also hope there is a naming opportunity, like the stadium for Dr. Shuart , in his honor on campus.
Last edited by The Shadow on Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Wow, big stuff - agree, typical prez, he did a lot of good and had a lot of total head-scratchers - either way, this is obviously a HUGE opportunity here for HU - stay stagnant or push the envelop further, both academic and athletics - and BOTH still need some advancement.

Football returns 2022. :lol: jk. But I suppose this would open the door of chance one day though... I still think it would take a LOT for that to happen. Some major donors and boosters will be needed to turn the BOT tide that has swelled under Rab.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I Echo what everyone else have said about President Rabinowitz Question I have is who you would like to see replace him How about Bill Bradley Princeton grad US senator oh and yes former NY Knick
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To stuballl888, Bill Bradley is 76 years old now, so I think another candidate is probably a better choice. Also, to Polito, sign me up for 2021 football.
Last edited by The Shadow on Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:I Echo what everyone else have said about President Rabinowitz Question I have is who you would like to see replace him How about Bill Bradley Princeton grad US senator oh and yes former NY Knick
Bradley is probably older than President Rabinowitz!
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Those two famous NewYorkers Bill or Hillary Clinton.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

No thanks on Billary They would probably funnel money into their foundation
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:No thanks on Billary They would probably funnel money into their foundation
All kidding aside hiring a politician of either party in these polarizing times is probably not wise move. I would love see whoever is picked be someone with an outside perspective though.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To HofstraPride1, Very good observation about the political aspects. Remember, a large part of a private university president's job is to generate funds for the various projects that are planned, too much politics may affect those possible donations. Does anyone know the process for selecting a university president? Who has the final say in the selection? I guess there will be a search committee that will do the screening of the candidates. I wonder if an outside firm will be hired to help in the gathering of qualified candidates. Since AD Cole is a vp of HU, does he become involved in the selection process? Considering the age of President Rabinowitz, this change in leadership cannot be a complete surprise to the HU BOT.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Cole reports to the president. I'm sure this retirement will have an impact on athletics tbd.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I did not know Rabinowitz compensation for 2017' exceeded 1.5 million...
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

garyg wrote:I did not know Rabinowitz compensation for 2017' exceeded 1.5 million...
That's what they get...I'm sure it's in line with comparables.

It's also a reward for his many years here...likely backloaded. He will be missed. He did a great deal to modernize the University and keep it relevant, where many peers have struggled.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Also, as part of that compensation package, that the endowment went from $232 million in 2007 to $662 million at the end of August, and is a $561 million increase from 2002. At a time when other private schools in the area has to shut their doors, Hofstra only became even more financially stable.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HofstraHockey wrote:Also, as part of that compensation package, that the endowment went from $232 million in 2007 to $662 million at the end of August, and is a $561 million increase from 2002. At a time when other private schools in the area has to shut their doors, Hofstra only became even more financially stable.
I think the endowment spike is most impressive part of his legacy, especially given how important this is in today's competitive higher education environment. If we can get to $1 billion endowment in the near future that would put is in an amazing spot to be able to offer aid to deserving students.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Not to detract from Rabinowitz ' accomplishments, but the endowment spike is largely due to the bull stock market over the last ten years subsequent to the Great Recession.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Mikey77 wrote:Not to detract from Rabinowitz ' accomplishments, but the endowment spike is largely due to the bull stock market over the last ten years subsequent to the Great Recession.
The endowment went up- a lot even before that.