Our Rank in Men's Basketball CAA Team Statistics Isn't Great

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Our Rank in Men's Basketball CAA Team Statistics Isn't Great

Post by EvanJ »

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... nfldrs.htm has 21 statistics. They are not all equally important, and some are related rather than independent. For example, points scored - points allowed = scoring margin, and offensive rebounds + defensive rebounds = rebounds. I use all games, not just CAA games. Schedules are unequal, but I'd still expect a significant correlation between average rank and how good a team is. The mean of the numbers from 1 through 10 is 5.5, and Hofstra's mean of 107.5/21 = 5.12 is only a little better than average. The 0.5 comes from being tied for seventh in threes made per game. To compare, last season our mean was 76/21 = 3.62.
Wags

Re: Our Rank in Men's Basketball CAA Team Statistics Isn't G

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... nfldrs.htm has 21 statistics. They are not all equally important, and some are related rather than independent. For example, points scored - points allowed = scoring margin, and offensive rebounds + defensive rebounds = rebounds. I use all games, not just CAA games. Schedules are unequal, but I'd still expect a significant correlation between average rank and how good a team is. The mean of the numbers from 1 through 10 is 5.5, and Hofstra's mean of 107.5/21 = 5.12 is only a little better than average. The 0.5 comes from being tied for seventh in threes made per game. To compare, last season our mean was 76/21 = 3.62.
Note the ranking of 8th in 3-pt. percentage, which further underscores what I've said in other threads about the myth that this is somehow a great perimeter shooting team. They're just not, overall, though they can get hot here and there at certain moments.

But what they do well is get to the line often, they make their FTs and they take care of the ball well.

Despite ranking just 7th in the CAA in points allowed, they're 2nd in scoring margin, mainly because they rank 2nd in FTA (behind only JMU) and 2nd in FT% (behind only NU). So, if they want to keep winning and make this a good season, don't settle for too many 3s they don't normally make, and keep attacking, keep drawing fouls, and keep living in the paint and at the line (case in point - no jumper to win it at NU on Thursday, it was Pemberton attacking and going off glass for the game-winner).

They've also led the league all season by a good amount in turnover margin. It was an even wider gap for much of the year, but even now, they're at +2.33, while the next closest is +0.83 (Charleston). They're also one of only three teams with a plus TO margin. The other seven CAA teams all have negative TO margins.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So doesn't this sound rather typical of HU teams we have had good offenses for quite some time. We're 1st in the conference in points scored and 15th in the country in points scored. So while we shoot the 3 at 33% placing us 8th we also defend it poorly at 33% but in spite of ourselves we score and score plenty. So is the takeaway here is that we should shoot more two's and stop throwing up tough shots from beyond the perimeter(Trueheart and Silverio) unless your name is Buie 42+% and/or Ray 36%? While you're bringing up stats in the CAA W&M beat COC last night and could very well be the team to beat here and also Delaware losing again. I like the way we match up with most teams in this conference except for W&M.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We've made 82.3 percent more free throws than our opponents, and made exactly 7.5 more per game. We have a +135 point differential from free throws and a -22 from field goals. Our 299 free throws rank third in Division I before yesterday's games, and the next closest geographic team in the top ten is Central Arkansas or Arkansas State. None of the other top 27 are closer than Morgan State in Baltimore, and St. John's is tied for 28th. TeamRankings does statistics only including games between two Division I teams, and on that site we've made exactly double the free throws of our opponents, and we're the only Division I team to have made at least twice as many free throws as our opponents. That's because we've only made fewer free throws in 3 of 18 games, and our worst free throw differential was -9 in our only non-Division I game.

The sum of our ranks went from 107.5 to 108 yesterday.