ECAC eSports

Discussions about the rest of the college sports world
HofstraHockey

ECAC eSports

Post by HofstraHockey »

https://www.ecacsports.com/index.aspx?path=esports

The ECAC (the actual athletic conference) is offering eSports as a varsity sport. Meaning you can reach your Title IX compliance with video games.
EvanJ

Re: ECAC eSports

Post by EvanJ »

The CAA used to be the ECAC South. I didn't think there was an ECAC anymore. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_C ... Conference says that as of spring 2018, it's a big group of 87 Division I, 26 Division II, and 107 Division III teams, so it's not an 8 to 15 team conference in the regular sense.

Who defines if a sport counts toward Title IX? Did the ECAC need permission from the NCAA and or federal government to have eSports count? There has to be a policy of what can be included so schools can't discriminate against women by doing something like calling a women's club team equal to a sport.

FIFA, which organizes soccer (which they call football), and the related sports futsal and beach soccer (which they don't call beach football), also organizes eSoccer (or whatever they call it). They had one competition done in teams of two where a round is Team X Player 1 vs. Team Y Player 1 on Playstation and Team X Player 2 vs. Team Y Player 2 on xBox. You can make a lot of money. I don't remember the amount, but I think the winner of the Fortnite World Cup got millions. eSports have coaches just like traditional sports. I think it was under a year ago when Newsday wrote about a Long Islander who was unable to play eSports (I don't remember why), but he was able to be a coach/manager/owner/I don't know what term.
HofstraHockey

Re: ECAC eSports

Post by HofstraHockey »

You can call a women's club sport a varsity sport, but you have to offer it similar access to coaches, trainers, tutors, etc as the other sports. Obviously every sport doesn't get the same treatment, but funding generally have to come from the same source. It's pretty complex, because everything involving the federal government and the NCAA are. But it's a way.

In terms of the ECAC, they used to be its own conference for a number of sports, but that seems to have declined significantly. I'm not sure exactly what purpose it serves now, but it does have a championship for equestrian now. It used to host the Holiday Tournament, and for years until very recently was a conference in D3 hockey.