Game 12 at Princeton 12/19/2019 at 7:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

Re: Game 12 at Princeton 12/19/2019 at 7:00 P.M.

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Complete game for Pemba, awesome 15 point win.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:I was curious as to why Silverio not getting in this game but from the shots I saw of the bench I don’t see Silverio??

To me that’s a good thing, guy can’t just keep chucking air ball 3s. Tonight we played “Hofstra basketball” as JWF said once last year, nice to win a catfight from start to finish.
I hate to agree but wonder what's going on; injured???? It's a long season and at some point you have to believe that Omar will turn it around!!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Good solid road win. Controlled the game almost from the tap. Nice to see contributions from the bench...Trueheart finally!

And for all you Kante haters, he played some real solid defense in the paint, and rebounded...Hecwill be fine; not a rim protector but Trueheart, Hughes and even Schutte blocked some shots tonight.

Silverio? Didn't notice he was not there...Hurt? Illness? Academics?
budman

Post by budman »

Very good win. We played very good team defense tonight. It is the first time i remember saying that about a Mihalich coached team. I was happy to see Truheart , Schutte and Hughes play more today. I hope to see Schutte and Hughes play more because they play harder on defense and have better foot work then Kante. Kante has played better defense in the last two games,i hope it continues. Buie and Pemberton played great tonight. It is important for Perberton to stay out of foul trouble like he did tonight because it seems to get to his head when he does .
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We won 87-72. Pemberton scored 27. He shot field goals 9-13, threes 2-3, and free throws 7-8. He had 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block, and 3 steals. Coburn shot well and scored 14; but he had only 5 rebounds; no assists, blocks, or steals; 4 turnovers; and 3 fouls. Ray scored 14, which were all in the last 18:38, but didn't do much else. Buie had 13 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, and 2 steals, but he shot 5-16. His 7 rebounds were a career-high, and it was the first time in his career he had sole possession of the most rebounds on Hofstra. He became our first player with at least 13 points, at least 7 rebounds, at least 7 assists, and at least 2 steals since Green in a 65-60 win hosting Northeastern on February 21, 2016. Green did that combination five times in two seasons with us. The College Basketball at Sports-Reference Play Index goes back to 2010-2011, which was Jenkins' senior season, and he did that combination in a 102-62 win hosting Farmingdale State on November 13, 2010. That means Buie did something that Jenkins didn't do against a Division I team in one of the best individual seasons in Hofstra history. Trueheart shot 4-8, which is a lot of attempts for a bench player in 18 minutes, but he shot okay. He had 6 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal, and no fouls or turnovers. We had five players score in double-digits. Kante had 6 points and 6 rebounds, but he only played 19 minutes because he committed 4 fouls. Schutte missed his only field goal and made both free throws. Our other three players did not attempt shots. Hughes played 8 minutes, Burgess played 4 minutes, and Klementowicz played the last 23 seconds. In addition to Silverio apparently being unavailable, Miranda didn't play. Hughes and Schutte blocked 2 shots, but Hughes committed 4 fouls in 8 minutes. We had more time than usual without any of our three forwards/centers who don't shoot threes, but including Trueheart we played forwards for 53 minutes.

Jaelin Llewellyn scored 22, and Ryan Schwieger scored 16. They were Princeton's only double-digit scorers. Llewellyn shot 8-21. Schwieger shot 7-13 and had 5 rebounds and 6 assists, but also 6 turnovers. Richmond Aririguzoh led them his 6 rebounds. They used 12 players, but five of them combined to play 14 minutes.

With 6:40 left, which is two-thirds of the way through the second half, Princeton had 18 in the half and 51 in the game. If they kept their second half pace, they would have scored 9 to finish with 60. They made 1 free throw with 6:37 left and scored 20 in the last 6:05. We also scored 20 in the last 6:05. Other than late defense and poor three-point shooting (5-17 for .294), we played well. We had a season-high 7 blocks, and it was the second time from 2010-2011 to the present that we had at least 7 blocks and our opponent didn't have any. The previous time was a 90-63 win hosting Delaware on January 18, 2018. In that game, Gustys had 3 blocks, Sabety had 2, JWF had 1, and Trueheart had 1. Tonight was our 308th game from 2010-2011 to the present.

Princeton fell to 0-4 at home for the first time since 2009.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Coach said in his presser that Silverio's family member has a serious contagious disease...that's why he was not with the team.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

We all hope Omar's family member has a quick recovery. Also, to all the members of the HU family and all the Flying Dutchmen Fans, Happy Holidays and all the best to everyone in 2020!
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:Coach said in his presser that Silverio's family member has a serious contagious disease...that's why he was not with the team.
Ugh, that sucks. I sincerely hope everything works out okay with this and that family member can be healed and will in good health again soon.

On the game, THAT was the game we've been waiting for from Pemberton. He should've been the torch guy, passed on from JWF. Not that he'll ever be JWF, but we should've seen this type of game -- an efficient 27 pts, 9/13 fg, carrying and leading the team offensively to a good win -- more often this season. Hopefully, tonight's performance will spark that type of thing much more consistently from Eli the rest of the season. If it does, this could be a tough team to beat in the CAA. And it came off of the 4/16 game against Stony Brook nine days earlier. Rust? What rust? Maybe he just needed rest. Also, Eli had reached 20 pts or more only two other times this season, and they were both in losses (San Jose State and San Diego). So, to see him eclipse that mark and then some, in a win, and in a 15-point win, is a good sign.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Obviously prayers to Omar and his family. Coach said that was the sole reason Trueheart was in the game tonight. However I think we found a little something in Trueheart tonight. I’m not saying he’s anything great but he’s 6’8”, 22 years old and if can shoot from the outside even a little bit he should help off the bench. And god knows we need guys off the bench to step up.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:Obviously prayers to Omar and his family. Coach said that was the sole reason Trueheart was in the game tonight. However I think we found a little something in Trueheart tonight. I’m not saying he’s anything great but he’s 6’8”, 22 years old and if can shoot from the outside even a little bit he should help off the bench. And god knows we need guys off the bench to step up.
Would be nice, but Trueheart basically had as much production (in terms of scoring) tonight as he had over the entire season before tonight:

Season before tonight: 7 games, 11 pts on 4/16 fg in 65 minutes.
Tonight: 11 pts on 4/8 fg in 18 minutes.

Hope it's a breakout for him, but when you look at that comparison, it looks more like a mere positive aberration.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We're quick to forget that it wasn't that long ago that Trueheart was starting in front of Coburn. He obviously has some talent and we need the height rebounding blocking shots capabilities and if we get some scoring whipped cream on the cake. He had two easy baskets in this game a dunk and an uncontested layup. OK he also hit a three.
Prayers go out to Silverio's sister who seems to be gravely ill per Joe's post presser!
Last edited by triplec2195 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Wags wrote:
Hof_Judge99 wrote:Obviously prayers to Omar and his family. Coach said that was the sole reason Trueheart was in the game tonight. However I think we found a little something in Trueheart tonight. I’m not saying he’s anything great but he’s 6’8”, 22 years old and if can shoot from the outside even a little bit he should help off the bench. And god knows we need guys off the bench to step up.
Would be nice, but Trueheart basically had as much production (in terms of scoring) tonight as he had over the entire season before tonight:

Hope it's a breakout for him, but when you look at that comparison, it looks more like a mere positive aberration.
He has 16 missed shots on the season and 11 were from 3. So he is 2 of 13 from 3 and 6 of 11 from 2. So his issue is he needs to stop taking 3's because that doesn't seem to be his game. I know it is a small size but if you look at last season it supports it also he was 13 for 49 (0.265) from 3 point range and 21 for 42 (0.500) from 2 point range. So essentially for every 3 pointer he shot last season he scored 0.80 points and for every 2 pointer he shot he scored 1.00 points. His 3 point attempts have been over 50% of his total shot attempts during his career; he should try and move that down to around 30% (if not lower) and he will be more effective.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HofstraMathew wrote: He has 16 missed shots on the season and 11 were from 3. So he is 2 of 13 from 3 and 6 of 11 from 2. So his issue is he needs to stop taking 3's because that doesn't seem to be his game. I know it is a small size but if you look at last season it supports it also he was 13 for 49 (0.265) from 3 point range and 21 for 42 (0.500) from 2 point range. So essentially for every 3 pointer he shot last season he scored 0.80 points and for every 2 pointer he shot he scored 1.00 points. His 3 point attempts have been over 50% of his total shot attempts during his career; he should try and move that down to around 30% (if not lower) and he will be more effective.
I agree. We shoot threes .340 which is okay. Ray is our only player above .400 at .418 (excluding Miranda's 1-2 for .500). Pemberton, Buie, Coburn, and Silverio shoot threes at least .300. Trueheart is going to be on the court with three guys who shoot threes better than him.

Hughes is eleventh in the CAA with 0.8 blocks, which is impressive in 6.4 minutes. He averages 1 block per 8.3 minutes, and in the last 21 complete seasons Hofstra's blocked shots leader hasn't had that high a rate of blocks per minute. Before that I found statistics that have blocks but not minutes.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Good win last night. Gotta keep building confidence and letting the team gel. We are going to need those intangibles even more this year given the talent drop from last season.

Should finish up the OOC with a good record (after a W against Manhattan) albeit after playing a fairly "soft" OOC schedule. Like others (I expect), I'll give my OOC report card after Sunday's game.

The real test begins next week. We will see if we can get consistent shooting and defense out of this group.

Go Pride!
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Wags wrote:

He has 16 missed shots on the season and 11 were from 3. So he is 2 of 13 from 3 and 6 of 11 from 2. So his issue is he needs to stop taking 3's because that doesn't seem to be his game. I know it is a small size but if you look at last season it supports it also he was 13 for 49 (0.265) from 3 point range and 21 for 42 (0.500) from 2 point range. So essentially for every 3 pointer he shot last season he scored 0.80 points and for every 2 pointer he shot he scored 1.00 points. His 3 point attempts have been over 50% of his total shot attempts during his career; he should try and move that down to around 30% (if not lower) and he will be more effective.
So, last night was a perfect example of what you're talking about. As you pointed out, that's what he's done over his career -- he chucks 3s. Doing what you suggest (trying to score more from 2) is what he made him more effective last night. As usual, not good from 3 (1/4), but he was 3/4 from 2. That said, he still took half of his eight shots from 3 (too much for the way he shoots 3s).
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:We're quick to forget that it wasn't that long ago that Trueheart was starting in front of Coburn. He obviously has some talent and we need the height rebounding blocking shots capabilities and if we get some scoring whipped cream on the cake. He had two easy baskets in this game a dunk and an uncontested layup. OK he also hit a three.
Prayers go out to Silverio's sister who seems to gravely ill per Joe's post presser!
Trueheart started ahead of Coburn by default. If he were that good or that consistent (which we haven't seen), he'd still be starting ahead of Coburn, especially when Coburn has been inconsistent himself.

Far more important than basketball, just heartbreaking about Silverio's sister. Prayers for her that she can somehow recover.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:We're quick to forget that it wasn't that long ago that Trueheart was starting in front of Coburn. He obviously has some talent and we need the height rebounding blocking shots capabilities and if we get some scoring whipped cream on the cake. He had two easy baskets in this game a dunk and an uncontested layup. OK he also hit a three.
Prayers go out to Silverio's sister who seems to gravely ill per Joe's post presser!
Trueheart started ahead of Coburn by default. If he were that good or that consistent (which we haven't seen), he'd still be starting ahead of Coburn, especially when Coburn has been inconsistent himself.

Far more important than basketball, just heartbreaking about Silverio's sister. Prayers for her that she can somehow recover.
Coburn has been inconsistent but still a far better shooter then Stafford and plays animal D AND is far more important to this team agreed 100% but if we can get production from him in the post he's helping to fill a need that we're desperate for.