Men's Basketball 2019-2020 Out of Conference Opponents

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: Men's Basketball 2019-2020 Out of Conference Opponents

Post by EvanJ »

Yes, I meant a 22 game winning streak. I think that with consecutive losses to teams that bad, for Stony Brook's Women it's a decline and not just that any team can beat any team in one game. They're RPI was bad enough that I wondered if they could win until the AE Final, lose that, and miss the tournament with 2 losses because of how bad their schedule is. Now they have 3 losses and are 81st in the RPI.

Our best NET win is at UCLA who are 77th, and our second best is over Northeastern's who's 124th. If we reach the CAA Final, we will have 33 Division I games by Selection Sunday with only one against a Top 100 NET team.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Look at SBUs SOS it is still about 50 points better than ours even though they play 2/3 of their games in the AE we play 2/3 of our games in the CAA the reason just look at the SOS of ours and theirs OOC schedule
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

According to Sagarin SB's strength of schedule is rated 69.92 or 247th vs ours which is 69.87 or 253nd.

Hardly any difference.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Mine is realtime Rpi
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/schedule/Hofstra has our SOS 231st and 305th non-conference, and http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/ ... tony-Brook has Stony Brook's SOS 171st and 63rd non-conference. We have had 16/28 = 4/7 = 57.14 percent of our Division I games in the CAA. Since teams play an unequal amount of games, I don't know if you can say that 4/7 of our SOS comes from CAA games, but if it does, our CAA SOS would be 188th if it was compared to every other team's overall SOS. Stony Brook has played half of their 28 Division I games in the AE, and doing the same calculations says their AE SOS would be 291st if it was compared to every other team's overall SOS. That's a gap of 103 spots in conference SOS. The SOS uses the RPI because the NET doesn't provide values. Looking at the Conference RPI, I added half of the CAA (5), the amount of teams in the five conferences in between (54), and half of the AE (4.5), which is 63.5. Based on that, you would expect our conference SOS to be better than theirs but not by 103 spots.
Polito

Post by Polito »

HU’s SOS is very often quite frustrating. And the staffs excuses even more infuriating.

But did want to come say that UCLA win is looking even more dope right now! Another round of kudos to the staff and team! Go Bruins baby :)
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:HU’s SOS is very often quite frustrating. And the staffs excuses even more infuriating.

But did want to come say that UCLA win is looking even more dope right now! Another round of kudos to the staff and team! Go Bruins baby :)
Yes, now it is, a lot more compared to earlier in the year.

And maybe some respect on national TV for Hofstra on that. On the ESPN broadcast of UCLA's win over Arizona last night, Bill Walton and Richard Jefferson were talking about UCLA's losses to Liberty last year and to Cal State Fullerton this year as "bad losses" (though I'd disagree with them on the Liberty loss). I was waiting for them to also mention the loss to Hofstra this year, but they didn't. Could just be that they overlooked it, but I took it as respect for HU, that they didn't consider it a bad loss.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Wags wrote:
Polito wrote:HU’s SOS is very often quite frustrating. And the staffs excuses even more infuriating.

Yes, now it is, a lot more compared to earlier in the year.

And maybe some respect on national TV for Hofstra on that. On the ESPN broadcast of UCLA's win over Arizona last night, Bill Walton and Richard Jefferson were talking about UCLA's losses to Liberty last year and to Cal State Fullerton this year as "bad losses" (though I'd disagree with them on the Liberty loss). I was waiting for them to also mention the loss to Hofstra this year, but they didn't. Could just be that they overlooked it, but I took it as respect for HU, that they didn't consider it a bad loss.
At the end of the broadcast after UCLA won, Pasch brought up the "tough home losses" to Hofstra and Fullerton, but Walton interjected "Hofstra is a good team!" I have to say, I agree with Walton on that one.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

UCLA entered ESPN's bracket with an NET of 76th. They're in first in the Pac-12 with a worse NET than the bottom two. If you think the CAA's top six are packed together, imagine if we won the regular season title and there was a ranking that thought JMU was better! I wonder if a team has ever finished last in its conference standings with a better NET (or RPI before the NET existed) than a team in any conference that got an at-large bid.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com ... tennessee/ says:

"UCLA (NET: 75, NBC: 11): UCLA picked up another enormous win on Saturday, as they beat Arizona (11) at home to move them into — get this — sole possession of first place in the Pac-12. Yes, UCLA has lost 11 games and yes, the Bruins have lost to Hofstra (123) and Cal St. Fullerton (268) at home. But they have now won seven straight games. They’ve won 11 of their last 13 games. They have swept Arizona and Colorado (22). They have six Quad 1 wins and a 9-9 record against the top two Quads. With a trip to USC (39) to close out the regular season, I think all the Bruins need to do is win one more game before Selection Sunday and they will be dancing. Incredible turnaround."

We're a bad loss for a bubble team to have at home, but giving the rankings makes it clear that we're much better than CSF. That's how I want UCLA's losses to be described. Without checking, I would think that every season at least one team gets an at-large bid with a home loss to a team 123rd or worse, but I wouldn't count on every season having an at-large team with a home loss to a team 268th or worse.

NBC Sports has us with a 14 seed playing Duke in Greensboro. They link to http://www.bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html which says their Dave Ommen is the top bracketologist of 133 who did it for at least three of the last five seasons. Joe Lunardi ranks 55th, which is in the top half, not not special. NumberFire, which does simulations that ESPN Insider gives, is the worst. College Sports Madness, KPI Rankings (Ken Pauga Index), Bracketography/Team Rankings, and RealTimeRPI are among the worst.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

In the Patriot League, 7 seed Bucknell won 64-59 at 2 seed American. On Sunday, Bucknell goes to 3 seed Boston University in the Semifinals. American's loss is good for 1 seed Colgate. Of the 22 teams in New York, Colgate and us are 1 seeds, and Siena will be a 1 seed if they win at Monmouth or Saint Peter's loses hosting Iona. Both of those games are tonight. Siena and Saint Peter's split. Monmouth (12-7) is in third, and 0.5 game ahead of Rider (12-8) who is done. If Siena loses to Monmouth, Monmouth will have sole possession of third. Siena split with Monmouth, and Saint Peter's swept Monmouth, so Saint Peter's would win the tiebreaker over Siena. Other than us, Colgate, and Siena, no other New York team has a decent chance at making the NCAA Tournament. Stony Brook is a 2 seed, but they have been doing worse recently, and they would have to win a Final at Vermont unless Vermont lost hosting a much worse team in the Quarterfinals or Semifinals. Syracuse (NET 67th) and St. John's (NET 69th) are very unlikely to make the NCAA Tournament. I'm talking about New York, so I'm excluding suburban Seton Hall and Rutgers.