Men's Basketball 2019-2020 Out of Conference Opponents

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Men's Basketball 2019-2020 Out of Conference Opponents

Post by EvanJ »

San Jose State had a chance at a quality win but gave up a three at the buzzer to lose 59-57 at San Diego State, who improved to 10-0. San Diego State is third in Others Receiving Votes in the AP Poll.
EvanJ

Re: Men's Basketball 2019-2020 Out of Conference Opponents

Post by EvanJ »

In a game between two of our opponents, Cal State Fullerton won 77-74 at UCLA.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:In a game between two of our opponents, Cal State Fullerton won 77-74 at UCLA.
Puts Hofstra's win at UCLA in perspective. We saw first hand that CSF is not good.

You don't play history, you only play current teams, who are often a shell of what they once were.

HU was still a 14-point underdog at the time, so it's a good win THIS year. But I think we overestimate it historically solely because of the name on the front of the home team's jersey that night.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: HU was still a 14-point underdog at the time, so it's a good win THIS year.
I wonder what the line would be if you take out the game and use the rest of the games (played and remaining) to make a line if we played at UCLA at conference tournament time.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Wags, lol, you will not let this die huh - gonna beat that UCLA win down until everyone admits it wasn't a good one - we get it :P :D

joshin with ya

I think for the most part we are not overestimating it, and we understand UCLA isn't a good program right now. But we also understand perception, and the reason we've been pumped about it is because it ranks as one of the best all-time for HU by perception. And I get this may bother you, but that matters. A LOT.

So using that as the gauge, it's not overestimating, it's appreciating the impact from an image perspective. I care a lot about that because it impacts many things. I appreciate the purist element and being true to the data / facts about what constitutes a 'big' win. But recruiting doesn't care about that. It cares about rep.
And I care a lot about recruiting and program image, so I have no issue calling the Bruin victory a huge one for this program - they (players + staff) deserve that, and earned it. 8-)
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Wags, lol, you will not let this die huh - gonna beat that UCLA win down until everyone admits it wasn't a good one - we get it :P :D

joshin with ya

I think for the most part we are not overestimating it, and we understand UCLA isn't a good program right now. But we also understand perception, and the reason we've been pumped about it is because it ranks as one of the best all-time for HU by perception. And I get this may bother you, but that matters. A LOT.

So using that as the gauge, it's not overestimating, it's appreciating the impact from an image perspective. I care a lot about that because it impacts many things. I appreciate the purist element and being true to the data / facts about what constitutes a 'big' win. But recruiting doesn't care about that. It cares about rep.
And I care a lot about recruiting and program image, so I have no issue calling the Bruin victory a huge one for this program - they (players + staff) deserve that, and earned it. 8-)
I'm not even talking data/facts here. I'll put it this way... as we all do, I really hope HU makes the NCAAT this year. But if they go to the NIT again, that UCLA "perception" will do absolutely nothing for HU in terms of NIT seeding. And you know this. So then, you have to consider how you value that win if UCLA winds up being as bad this year as many predicted before the season started.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Having a marquee win as a mid-major doesn't matter anymore in NCAAT/NIT seeding, that win over UCLA was a statement for our program. It was one of our biggest W's in program history.

The game was the first major turning point in our season, we were kind of puttering around before that West Coast swing, and we went down by 13 early against UCLA. But we dug in and got an epic W.

UCLA is clearly not good this year, they have a very young team, and a new coach with a drastically different philosophy than Alford. Don't know how they fell to CSF, but it doesn't diminish the win for us at all, in my opinion.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Having a marquee win as a mid-major doesn't matter anymore in NCAAT/NIT seeding, that win over UCLA was a statement for our program. It was one of our biggest W's in program history.

The game was the first major turning point in our season, we were kind of puttering around before that West Coast swing, and we went down by 13 early against UCLA. But we dug in and got an epic W.

UCLA is clearly not good this year, they have a very young team, and a new coach with a drastically different philosophy than Alford. Don't know how they fell to CSF, but it doesn't diminish the win for us at all, in my opinion.
I'd say it's more inconsistent than a turning point... the 28-point loss at St. Bonaventure (as a 3 1/2-point underdog) came well after the UCLA win, and that loss preceded a 15-point win at Princeton (as again, a 3 1/2-point underdog). So, if there was an effect from the UCLA win, it didn't always show afterward. Bottom line, they're in good shape now at 11-4 (2-0), but I think they'd be there had they lost at UCLA, too. UCLA fell to CSF because they're not that good. That one isn't a mystery.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

San Jose State upset New Mexico 88-85. New Mexico entered with 2 losses, with one to Texas-El Paso (UTEP- 9-4, 6-4 vs. Division I, NET 115th) and the other to undefeated Auburn. San Jose State is won their last 2 to improve to 5-10 (4-10 vs. Division I), and by beating New Mexico they beat a team better than us. San Jose State blew an 18 point lead in the second half. They led 84-74 when New Mexico went on an 11-0 run and took an 85-84 lead on a three-point play by Zane Martin with 16 seconds left. Martin was third in the CAA with 19.8 points per game as a sophomore in 2017-2018 before transferring from Towson to New Mexico. Richard Washington, whose previous career-high was 23 at us, made 7 threes including the winner with 8 seconds left and scored 25. Washington is a junior college transfer, so he's a junior without statistics from previous seasons, and his first game for a four-year college was against us.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Drew Lowder made a three with 6 seconds left to give Holy Cross a 63-61 win hosting Navy. Holy Cross improved to 2-13. Their only previous win was 81-67 over Mercer in Boca Raton the day after we beat them.

Stony Brook beat Maine 73-52 and has a trip to usual top team Vermont on Wednesday. Stony Brook has 15 games left, and only 1 is a day game. We have 14 games left, and 7 are day games. It reminds me of the Yankees and Mets on Saturdays when the Yankees play day games and the Mets play night games when they are at home and don't have the time chosen by TV.

Edit: After trailing 39-30 at halftime, Bucknell had a great second half to win 78-66 at Lafayette. Lafayette was favored by 3 and expected to win by 4 to 12 by the Sagarin and its components and by 8 according to Seven Overtimes.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Stony Brook is at Vermont tonight at 7:00 P.M. That is arguably more important for them than our game at Northeastern is for us because the America East "tournament" has the best seed host each game, so if Stony Brook wins tonight it's more likely that they can win the tournament without playing at Vermont, whereas we won't have to go to Northeastern in the CAA Tournament.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I watched the end of Stony Brook's 81-77 win. That combined with Texas A&M-Corpus Christi's 73-72 win at Stephen F. Austin means that we beat Stony Brook who beat Texas A&M-Corpus Christi who beat Stephen F. Austin who beat Duke, and the three wins other than ours were away. If you use the fact that Bucknell beat us and extend the chain, Marist beat teams in a chain ending with Duke. Marist is 343rd in the NET and 352nd (second-to-last) in the RPI.

Edit: San Jose State beat Nevada 70-68. Nevada is 83rd in the NET after the loss. It was San Jose State's fifth Division I win after they had three in each of the last two complete seasons. Their NET of 255th is bad, but much better than their 341st last season.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

UCLA improved to 72-68 and 4-4 in the Pac-12 with a 72-68 win over Number 20 Colorado. The Sagarin picked Colorado by 6.33 to 7.65 depending on the component.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Stony Brook normally plays at 7:00 P.M. on Saturdays. Now they're at New Hampshire, who made it start at 12:00 P.M., and maybe Stony Brook wasn't ready to start. They shot 0-15 but played good defense to trail 9-0 until they finally scored 8:18 in. They scored 4 points in 5 seconds by being fouled in the act of shooting a three, making two free throws, missing the third, getting the offensive rebound, and making a two. Going down 9-4 didn't get them on track as they trail 20-5. Stony Brook was favored by 5.5. They trail Vermont by 1 game. They won at Vermont, so they control their own destiny to get the 1 seed alone or from the tiebreaker and host every AE Tournament game they play in.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

EvanJ wrote:UCLA improved to 72-68 and 4-4 in the Pac-12 with a 72-68 win over Number 20 Colorado. The Sagarin picked Colorado by 6.33 to 7.65 depending on the component.
72-68? WOW - that is some record UCLA has - when do they go to class??? LOL
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

They won 65-52 at Number 23 Arizona to improve to 13-11. Their record is better in the Pac-12 at 6-5 (.545) than out of conference at 7-6 (.538), which goes down to 6-6 if you take out non-Division I Chaminade, who hosts the Maui Jim Maui Invitational ("Maui" is the name twice). Their SOS is 62nd overall and 214th out of conference, so it must be better than 62nd in conference, but I don't have a way of finding out. They have won 5 of 7 with the losses at Oregon (18-6, NET 25th) and Arizona State (15-8, NET 53rd). They end with 4 of 7 at home, and their last game is a short trip to USC. Their NET of 101st is the best of our opponents.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Cal State Fullerton allowed exactly 101 to Cal Poly twice, and won the second time. On January 30 at Cal Poly, Cal Poly won 101-100 in overtime. On Saturday in Fullerton, Cal State Fullerton won 105-101 in quadruple overtime. Cal Poly had Nolan Taylor score 35 in 46 minutes off the bench. Brandon Kamga led Cal State Fullerton with 27, and Jackson Rowe had 15 points and 17 rebounds in 57 minutes. When we went there, Kamga scored 8, and Rowe played his first game of the season 20 days after we played there.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I'm not going to quote several posts above, but UCLA has proved us wrong. They won at Number 18 Colorado to go to arguably tied for first in the Pac-12! I say arguably because they're tied with Colorado at 10-5, and Arizona and Arizona are tied at 9-4 which is percentage points better. If you do a four-way head-to-head, UCLA would win it. Either way, they're in contention. Their 90th in the NET, which doesn't guarantee an at-large bid to the NIT. The Pac-12 is fourth in the Conference NET. When the rule to give regular season champions who don't win their tournaments automatic bids to the NIT, I'm sure UCLA wasn't who they had in mind, but it's possible. I hope the Selection Committee doesn't give UCLA an NCAA at-large bid with a NET in the 70s only because they won a regular season title. UCLA has a worse NET than Washington, who's last in the Pac-12 at 2-12.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Bucknell was up 11 at halftime, up 17 in the second half, went down 6, and made 1 of 2 free throws with 7 seconds left to win 71-70 hosting first place Colgate. Colgate was favored by 3.5 and is 131 NET spots above Bucknell after the game.

Stony Brook is getting worse late in the season, and it's contagious between sports. They got worse in Football. After starting 7-2 in the America East including winning at Vermont, they have lost 3 of 5 after a 65-54 loss hosting Hartford. Their Women ended a 22 game losing streak with a 64-62 loss at Maine in overtime on Sunday, and tonight they lost 70-67 at previously winless Hartford, who is one of the three teams we beat. If A beat B and B beat C, it doesn't mean A beat C, but in this case Hofstra (A) beat Hartford (B) who beat (and lost to) Stony Brook (C) who beat Hofstra by 43. It must be rare to have teams where A beat B, B beat C, and C beat A by 43! Hartford has off when the other eight teams end, and the last place team isn't invited to the AE Tournament, so Hartford's season is over 39 days before the Women's NCAA Tournament Final.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

"Their women ended a 22 losing streak" confused here I think u meant a 22 game winning streak no?? It just goes to prove that any team can win or lose on a given night just like our women knocking off JMU in the tourney last year but we had Boogie. Its a little different this year. Our women's team needs some quality players. Feel bad for the coach who had to explain how the team was progressing following a 37 point loss to JMU the other day! She was very professional I have to say one embarrassing loss after another. They do have a chance to get a win in their last two games however playing playing Charleston and UNCW.