2019-2020 Game 10 at St. Bonaventure: 12/7/2019 at 2:30 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: 2019-2020 Game 10 at St. Bonaventure: 12/7/2019 at 2:30

Post by stuball888 »

Triple c here us the problem first off Kone shared his playing time with another 6ft 8 center My problem is his defense He doesnt play any defense that is either by design because he does not want to get into foul trouble early in the game What really set this off was the coaching staff raving about how great he is going to be Taylor by the 8 th Game started to shake off the rust During the recruiting season we had a chance to shore up the post position but the coaching staff decided not to do this stull wish we should have gone all in with the Northwestern grad transfer
Last edited by stuball888 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Polito wrote:Conf play all that matters though,
I absolutely, positively hate this statement!! Not picking on you Polito, because we've talked about this in the past and you and I are generally in agreement.

Every game matters! When you lose OOC games, the fans lose interest! When you lose OOC games, the recruits begin to look elsewhere! When you lose OOC games, the rankings suck! When you lose OOC games, the program suffers big time! When you are trying to build the program, EVERY game matters. I absolutely cannot stand when before the season even starts we hear JM talk about how we are only trying to get in shape and gel as a team for the CAA schedule. Talk about setting a low bar - it sucks. Its exactly this attitude that makes this conference a one bid league.

Does anyone think that if we won one or two more OOC games last year we would not have had a very good chance of getting an at-large bid? I know the strength of this league is down, but why da heck does everyone give up before the season even starts. Oh yea, and I guess the UCLA win means nothing because it was an OOC game!

Sorry guys - I am forced to submit this same type of post every season. It's sad. I will not post it again till next year when the issue rears its ugly head again!
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Totally agree Cards. Every time I hear Mihalich denigrate the OOC games and stress the conference games I get ticked off. Stupid, dumb, and why this programs just moves sideways.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Cards wrote:
I absolutely, positively hate this statement!! Not picking on you Polito, because we've talked about this in the past and you and I are generally in agreement.

Every game matters! When you lose OOC games, the fans lose interest! When you lose OOC games, the recruits begin to look elsewhere! When you lose OOC games, the rankings suck! When you lose OOC games, the program suffers big time! When you are trying to build the program, EVERY game matters. I absolutely cannot stand when before the season even starts we hear JM talk about how we are only trying to get in shape and gel as a team for the CAA schedule. Talk about setting a low bar - it sucks. Its exactly this attitude that makes this conference a one bid league.

Does anyone think that if we won one or two more OOC games last year we would not have had a very good chance of getting an at-large bid? I know the strength of this league is down, but why da heck does everyone give up before the season even starts. Oh yea, and I guess the UCLA win means nothing because it was an OOC game!

Sorry guys - I am forced to submit this same type of post every season. It's sad. I will not post it again till next year when the issue rears its ugly head again!
Well put Cards....you make some GREAT points...wish the staff would read this
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: What frustrates me is literally ONE guy gets hobbled and the entire house of cards crumbles. Drives you mad... so much potential. This team has been put in a terrible position this yr. That has to be on the staff. Have some talent, they always do thankfully, but assembled poorly, so fragile, and fully dependent on 4 guys playing at all conf level the entire yr.
Unfortunately, I think that's what this season comes down to. "House of cards" is exactly how I thought of as well after this loss (and the Canisius game too, which was the first sign of it).

I think at this point, whatever they manage to get from Kante or the bench (here and there, they'll have their moments) will simply be a bonus over the long haul, but how the season goes will come down to the key four guys - Buie, Pemberton, Coburn and Ray along with if whatever five is on the floor at any time, in any game, plays at least passable defense. But those main four guys all need to feed off of each other, so when one guy hurt, the other three are affected. I think that's what happened against Canisius (despite the win) and against the Bonnies. Would be nice to say it's not SO dependent on those four, but I just don't see the help coming from anywhere else right now. That may really not be so bad though if those four can start clicking together on a consistent basis. Most teams don't really have more than four main guys (if even that many), with others playing pretty limited roles. So, HU's not much different. But Coburn really has to start stepping it up more frequently and Ray obviously has to get healthy.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:

Cards, I think Polito is just being realistic. In the big picture, we know there's no at-large this year, so it all comes down to CAA play and the CAA tourney. That's just the reality. I think otherwise, Polito and everyone else here would agree with everything you said above about the OOC schedule. And although the results don't always show it (as in the last game), I think the team and the staff approach it the same way - you brought up the UCLA game. They were ECSTATIC about winning that game. They wouldn't have reacted like they won a CAA title or NCAAT game in a big upset (which they did) after beating UCLA if they didn't value the OOC schedule. They'd love to do that every game, whether OOC or CAA. Remember, last year's 16-game winning started with seven OOC wins. But, you don't always have a JWF, and sometimes (as with this year) the team has flaws to correct and overcome. And that often results in OOC losses or results like we saw at St. Bonaventure. Just how it is. But it doesn't mean that OOC are viewed as being unimportant because the CAA schedule, in reality, matters more... just like the CAA regular season isn't viewed that way because the CAA tourney games are ultimately what matters most.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Wags wrote:
Cards wrote:

Cards, I think Polito is just being realistic. In the big picture, we know there's no at-large this year, so it all comes down to CAA play and the CAA tourney. That's just the reality. I think otherwise, Polito and everyone else here would agree with everything you said above about the OOC schedule. And although the results don't always show it (as in the last game), I think the team and the staff approach it the same way - you brought up the UCLA game. They were ECSTATIC about winning that game. They wouldn't have reacted like they won a CAA title or NCAAT game in a big upset (which they did) after beating UCLA if they didn't value the OOC schedule. They'd love to do that every game, whether OOC or CAA. Remember, last year's 16-game winning started with seven OOC wins. But, you don't always have a JWF, and sometimes (as with this year) the team has flaws to correct and overcome. And that often results in OOC losses or results like we saw at St. Bonaventure. Just how it is. But it doesn't mean that OOC are viewed as being unimportant because the CAA schedule, in reality, matters more... just like the CAA regular season isn't viewed that way because the CAA tourney games are ultimately what matters most.
I understand Wags - this is the reality we have. That said, I believe the team and program goals should be set higher. Given the current level of university and fan support, the goals may seldom be reached (and I'm OK with that), but the goals should not be lowered for fear of the program, coaches, and players being deemed not successful.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Haha, yes, sorry allow me to add the proper context to my statement:

At this point, conf play is all that matters.

Do not even get me started on the BS narrative from this staff when they start dismissing things, showing lackadaisical approach, making excuses, etc. Please don't... it's only Monday and I don't want to flip out this early in the week!! :lol:
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Ok now, sat back for a day or so and read all the comments...first off, this team is somewhat flawed. We are WEAK in the middle and even if Kante was a GOD he is still 6-7 and a young inexperienced kid...he is battling but gets in foul trouble and then comes Schutte and Hughes who both missed at least 5-6 LAYUPS vs Canisius and St Bonnie.

We are forced to rely on the 3 and secondarily, Pemberton's drives to the basket.When one or both don't work or someone is hurt (RAY) you get the St. Bonnies disaster.

I believe Kante will get better, look at Taylor's stats after ten games last year. Many of you were calling him stiff, un-athletic, has bad hands etc. but look what he helped us accomplish last year...but Kante is not Taylor and never will be unless he grows another 3-4 inches.

And as for the staff, come on Polito! I love you but calling out the staff for "dismissing things, showing lackadaisical approach, making excuses, etc." that is absolute RUBBISH...show me where this has been stated...if you really know Joe, you would know that the loss at St Bonnies KILLED him....that was his HOME for 15 years...you think he wanted to be embarrassed????

I blame the staff for not going after a big kid, experienced transfer or even trying ANYTHING to get Taylor a sixth year...but this team is still and work in progress and who knows what we will have come March...Maybe we win the CAA this year....stranger things have happened, like BEATING UCLA this year!
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

triplec2195 wrote:
Hofstra wrote:Moussa Kone was a hell of a lot better than this dude. Moussa gave it his all on the court. I enjoyed his tenure at Hofstra
OK I think I get the opinion of some of you guys about Kante and at this stage of his career I have to be the dissenting opinion. He for all intents and purposes is a FRESHMAN. He got very little playing time at Georgia in his freshman year and sat out last year. IDK how much action he saw last year in practices when we had both Dwyer and Taylor here. You would have thought he could have learned plenty. As of right now his stat line is after 10 games 25.6 minutes per game, his field goal percentage is .613, he hasn't attempted a three, 54% F.T., 6.6. REBOUNDS A GAME. A total of 9 assists 8 steals and 2 blocks and he's averaging 9.6 points per game. So if you were to compare them to Kone's in his senior year they would be very favorable. Kone had more blocks and was averaging .81 blocks per game and averaged 8.85 points a game in his SENIOR YEAR. Kone never averaged 6 rebounds a game during his entire career and played over 20 minutes a game every year. So as much as I liked Kone and he had a nice game IDK how some of you are making this comparison. Maybe it's based on your recollection but the stats don't support that argument. I'm in agreement that we all had an assessment of Kante that was unrealistic based on what we had heard from the staff etc. and I've watched him as well and come away disappointed at times but guys lets remember this is his first year and he needs time to grow and learn this position. When people say he's terrible that to me conjures up the way Andre Walker played at times even though he was a shot blocker. So maybe we don't have a shot blocker here or a guy who is going to lead the CAA in rebounding and yes maybe he's not the next coming of Devonte Cacock but TERRIBLE I don't agree!!

Yeah but Kante is 21 years old, Cacock was 19 as a freshman and Walker was probably even younger. I’m not giving up on IK but if we’re gonna do anything this year he has to be a lot better.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Cards wrote: Does anyone think that if we won one or two more OOC games last year we would not have had a very good chance of getting an at-large bid?
I'm not saying OOC doesn't matter, but I will say how hard it is to get an at-large bid. We were 76th in the NET in the 18th ranked conference. If we had beaten Marshall, UNCW, and JMU; and had our only losses before Selection Sunday at Maryland, at VCU, at Northeastern, and the CAA Final to Northeastern; we would have been 30-4 (29-4 vs. Division I); which may or may not have been enough for an at-large bid. If you change two losses to wins, there's no way we would have gotten an at-large bid. Three seasons ago (I think), William & Mary was in the Top 30 of the RPI without being in ESPN's bracket or Bubble Watch. If they were 30th, you project 10 of the Top 29 as getting automatic bids, and you say the Bubble Watch includes first 10 out, the Bubble Watch was rating a team in the Top 30 of the RPI below at least 27 teams with worse RPIs, and the CAA was much better then than last season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

HU is never getting an at large scheduling as weakly as they do. Not enough opps to do anything worthy of earning one. CAA championship or bust.

HUSID, I'm not looking to be rude or bash the staff, but they display this every single year. Every time they dismiss OOC AND conf play by falling back on the adage that the only thing that matters is those 3 days in march (which they've consistently blown every year), that's what we're talking about. Every time they claim they can't improve home opponents because no one will play HU at home while tons of mids do it every year, that's what we're talking about. Point is, they routinely give themselves a lot of 'outs'.

I respect JM greatly, but I don't feel bad for him. He's made his bed every season, and he sleeps in it, good or bad. He has a fantastic cushy gig for great pay with literally ZERO pressure to actually achieve the goal - i.e. his seat has 0 heat and no threat whatsoever if he never makes the dance during his tenure. This weak Admin will give him until he retires and be perfectly fine with it, as long as no one gets arrested.

I have no doubt he was heartbroken by this embarrassing loss. He should be, everyone who cares about the program was/is. Hey, his squad got destroyed by 30 to an avg non-P5 team. He should be hurting, all should. But guess what? He put together a team built on thin ice that literally crumbled when 1 guy went down. No bench, no D, poor evals, etc... all on the staff. Not haterade, just facts.

They do a lot of really good things, work their tails off, and they have HUGE hearts for HU. But they also have glaring flaws that have kept this program from dancing. And from what I can tell 7 yrs in, are not addressing them, or at least not effectively.