Around the CAA Talk

Discussions about the rest of the college sports world
EvanJ

Re: Around the CAA Talk

Post by EvanJ »

Charleston won 76-50 hosting Division II Coker. Grant Riller had 23 points and 10 rebounds for his first career double-double. His previous career-high in rebounds was 8, and averaged 3.8 rebounds this season and 2.8 in his career before today. He's 17 short of 2,000, which he could do on NBC Sports Network on Saturday at 5:00 P.M. when they go to Richmond. After that, they host VCU. In the only game between a CAA team and a Division I team today, William & Mary improved to 7-3 with a 62-58 win at Fairfield. Nathan Knight and Andy Van Vliet had double-doubles. They both average over 9 rebounds and over 1 made three. Bryce Barnes is their point guard. Knight is averaging 1.1 assists after averaging 3.5 last season.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

I think the CAA is going to be a topsy-turvy year - more so then any.
I don't feel there is a clear cut team at this point and will take weeks of conference play for that team to emerge.
Lack of roster depth/transfers (in and out)/stud freshman - leave teams with a lot of unknowns and difficult to predict a clear front runner.
That said - let the conference play begin.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree it’s def wide open... and again not because it’s good, because it has a whole lotta avg parity.

Only reason HU even has a shot this yr - I’ll take it, just hoping they can address the issues we’ll enough to truly make a run.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:Agree it’s def wide open... and again not because it’s good, because it has a whole lotta avg parity.

Only reason HU even has a shot this yr - I’ll take it, just hoping they can address the issues we’ll enough to truly make a run.
Yeah - never thought this is our toughest road through the CAA - but more expect the unexpected (a win at UCLA and hammering at StB)
Polito

Post by Polito »

Circling back around on the UNCW topic, sorry for the lag lol.

But yes, my point was that UNCW is a program that has proven when it has proper coaching, they go dancing. HU needs to take advantage of their present downstate, because they won't tolerate being this bad for much longer. Despite HU's potential to be one, UNCW is an actual sleeping giant. Eventually they will reset with a new staff because their admin is committed to hoops and expects that level of success (also unlike HU), and when the W has coaching combined with being a traditionally strong recruiting mid major, they will be trouble again.

Just a matter of time.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Watched most of the Delaware vs Villanova game this afternoon. The chickens put up a good fight. They will be a tough match for HU this season. Darling, Anderson, Mutts, Goss, and Painter (suiting up staring next game) will be quite formidable.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Delaware is 9-2 with a close loss to Villanova. All of this without 6ft10 transfer Painter. Can Kante match up with Painter? WEW have to be on our A game to beat the Hens this year.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Watched as well. UD will be a BIG problem for us. Barring injuries/natural disasters/plagues, we're in a lot of trouble trying to match up with them.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So the pre-season poll picking us first and Delaware 5th a bit off the mark quite possibly which shouldn't come as a shocker. I wonder how good a player Painter is? Forget about H.S. etc. how will he play when he starts getting major minutes. This remains to be seen but if he's playing in their next game we'll find out very soon. Kante clearly looking to find his identity but while he may resemble Tarzan and clearly shouldn't be depicted as Jane just my opinion.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HU87 wrote:Watched as well. UD will be a BIG problem for us. Barring injuries/natural disasters/plagues, we're in a lot of trouble trying to match up with them.

saw the game too - agree...their size alone is big problem for us
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

And our speed and quickness, shooting are a big problem for them.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just looking at Delaware's roster I'm just realizing that Darling transferred from UAB and is playing his first year here averaging 22 points a game but they're also getting a big contribution from Mutts who also transferred from High Point who's scoring almost 14 a game and grabbing almost 10 boards so now throwing Painter into the mix this could be a team to be reckoned with. I'm looking forward to how we compete against this team as well as COC and NE. It will be interesting to say the least!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Northeastern is tenth of 353 teams in field goal percentage at 5.03 and fifth in shooting threes at .423. Jordan Roland's 25.0 points per game are second behind Marquette's Markus Howard with 25.1. Howard has played eighth games and scored at least 38 three times, but only 25 in his last two games combined. Northeastern and Marquette play on Tuesday. I used Roland's percentage shooting twos, threes, and free throws to compare him to Jenkins' 2010-2011 and JWF last season if Roland had the same amount of attempts of each type of shot as our players had. Roland is shooting better than both of them. I would rate Roland near equal to Jenkins' 2010-2011 because of Jenkins' assists. Here is how many points our players had and how many Roland would have with that many attempts with his percentages:

Roland: 1,040, Wright-Foreman's 2018-2019: 948
Roland: 835, Jenkins' 2010-2011: 746

Roland's amount is much higher on the top line because JWF had more attempts than Jenkins.

C of C doesn't have much other than Riller, whose 20.88 points are fewer than his 21.9 last season. I thought that with Brantley gone, Riller could average 25.
Last season Riller attempted 2.18 times as many field goals as Brevin Galloway (their third leading scorer last season and second leading scorer this season), and this season Riller has 1.47 times as many attempts. Riller has made 6 of 30 threes, and 0.6 made per game is very low for a star guard. He's their only point guard, and he has more assists than their next three players combined. Galloway averages 10.8, and he doesn't get many rebounds (2.1) or assists (1.2). They shoot threes .285 as a team, which is 318th of 353.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

triplec2195 wrote:Just looking at Delaware's roster I'm just realizing that Darling transferred from UAB and is playing his first year here averaging 22 points a game but they're also getting a big contribution from Mutts who also transferred from High Point who's scoring almost 14 a game and grabbing almost 10 boards so now throwing Painter into the mix this could be a team to be reckoned with. I'm looking forward to how we compete against this team as well as COC and NE. It will be interesting to say the least!
In Delawares last game Painter coming off the bench and playing 18 minutes scored 19 points against Delaware State on 8-11 shooting. Not too shabby!!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Delaware St is one of the worst teams in D1
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Delaware St is one of the worst teams in D1
Yeah they only won one game so far this year so maybe Painters numbers are a bit blown out of proportion! We'll see how they do moving forward with Painter.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Delaware trails 59-44 at LIU, who's 3-7, albeit this is only their second home game.

James Madison leads 53-38 at Fordham.

Towson led by by 5 at halftime in D.C. against Liberty, who came back to win 66-54 and improve to 13-0! Liberty, which is in Lynchburg in southwestern Virginia, has a long travel week with a game Sunday December 29 at LSU, possibly to their families for New Year's, Thursday January 2 at Florida Gulf Coast, and Saturday January 4 at New Jersey Institute of Technology. If you think away games on Thursdays and Saturdays in the CAA are bad, at least CAA teams don't have to play in Florida and two says later in New Jersey.

Drexel beat Quinnipiac 72-63 in Atlantic City.

Edit: Delaware trailed by 14 with under 7 minutes left before tying the game at 64. They took the lead twice early in overtime before LIU ended on a 13-4 run to win 82-75. James Madison let their 23 point lead get down to 3 in their 75-69 win.

The CAA went 2-2 today.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:Delaware trails 59-44 at LIU, who's 3-7, albeit this is only their second home game.

James Madison leads 53-38 at Fordham.

Towson led by by 5 at halftime in D.C. against Liberty, who came back to win 66-54 and improve to 13-0! Liberty, which is in Lynchburg in southwestern Virginia, has a long travel week with a game Sunday December 29 at LSU, possibly to their families for New Year's, Thursday January 2 at Florida Gulf Coast, and Saturday January 4 at New Jersey Institute of Technology. If you think away games on Thursdays and Saturdays in the CAA are bad, at least CAA teams don't have to play in Florida and two says later in New Jersey.

Drexel beat Quinnipiac 72-63 in Atlantic City.

Edit: Delaware trailed by 14 with under 7 minutes left before tying the game at 64. They took the lead twice early in overtime before LIU ended on a 13-4 run to win 82-75. James Madison let their 23 point lead get down to 3 in their 75-69 win.

The CAA went 2-2 today.
In keeping with the Dylan Painter thread in the aforementioned game he played 9 minutes had 0 points 1 rebound 3 PF and 2 turnovers. A stark contrast to his first game against Delaware St.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

UNCW’s Kai Toews is leaving the team to go back to Japan. Big blow for them.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I guess I won't be making more tweets that his dad liked, and he won't climb the career assists leaders. He's playing worse than last season. Here's a comparison:

Assists 2018-2019 7.7, 2019-2020: 4.3
Turnovers 2018-2019 3.4, 2019-2020 3.2

He has career shooting percentage of .382 field goals, .268 threes, and free throws .747. Last season his poor shooting was acceptable because of his assists. Now his assists are good but not special. Mike Okauru is second on UNCW with 2.9 assists, and he averages 24.5 minutes. Last season Ty Gadsden was second on the team with 2.3 assists. This season he started injured and had 1 assist in his only game.