MBB Game 5: at UCLA (Thu 11/21, 11 pm ET)

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
cactus
Site Admin

Re: MBB Game 5: at UCLA (Thu 11/21, 11 pm ET)

Post by cactus »

Cards

Post by Cards »

WAY COOL!

Good ball movement, good shooting, good defensive effort = big win!

JR and DB - career games!
Sctvman

Post by Sctvman »

Eldridge Recasner’s wife and daughter know what Hofstra is now...

http://twitter.com/erecasner/status/1197753646735343616
Last edited by Sctvman on Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:88-78!!!!!!

What a half!!
What a GAME!!

Is everyone back in off the ledge now? Can we not call it a lost season in NOVEMBER anymore?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Wow we win 88-78 Buieclutch down the stretch 13-13 from the ft line
Polito

Post by Polito »

Just gonna leave this little gem by yours truly right here...
Oh I hear ya cactus... and many times out-coached. But JM has also shown to steal a decent 'name' win a couple of times over the years... never know

:D :D :D :D :D :D

WHOOHOOO!!! BIG TIME W!!!

Congrats to the staff and players for a monstrous P5 road victory - gonna leave out any issues for another day, can be nothing short of ecstatic right now!!! I know they aren't ranked, but this is one of the bigger name wins in program history. GT in the Holiday Festival maybe... anyhoo, KUDOS x10!!!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

What a win. So proud of this team tonight. They shrugged off a bad loss and played with no fear. Upper classmen played like veterans. Ray was big and Buie was absolutely huge. He may have just grabbed the leadership role on this team tonight!

Statement win on the road in a storied building against a big time program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Let's note that they did this with basically just the starters.

Yes, a bench helps, and it's ideal to have it contribute. And it may even be necessary to get where this team ultimately wants to go. But sometimes we make too much of that on this board.

Pemberton played 38 mins. Buie, Ray and Coburn played 37 mins each. Kante 24.

Other than that, it was only 8 mins each for Schutte and Hughes, and 5 mins each for Silverio and Trueheart, with 86 of Hofstra's 88 pts coming from its starters.

If the starters play well enough, you can win that way.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Wags, stop it dude. Sheez. No you can't, not for 3 straight in March, when it actually matters. This was a 1 game special, not a conf tournament. And it's the beginning of the friggin season, not the end. AND not with a player as bad as Kante and a bunch of nothing in the post. But we're not talking about that now, we're celebrating, so quit trying to make ridiculous points that don't hold up :P ;) 8-)

Back to the big W - queue the Rothstein tweet in 3...2...1... my prediction:

*UCLA loses a buy in game to Hofstra. The epitome of brutality. This is ONLY November.*

Let's see how I do! lol
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Wags, stop it dude. Sheez. No you can't, not for 3 straight in March, when it actually matters. This was a 1 game special, not a conf tournament. And it's the beginning of the friggin season, not the end. AND not with a player as bad as Kante and a bunch of nothing in the post. But we're not talking about that now, we're celebrating, so quit trying to make ridiculous points that don't hold up :P ;) 8-)

Back to the big W - queue the Rothstein tweet in 3...2...1... my prediction:

*UCLA loses a buy in game to Hofstra. The epitome of brutality. This is ONLY November.*

Let's see how I do! lol
Delaware did it in Baltimore. Look it up. Not saying it's preferred, but it's not impossible that way.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Wags wrote:What a GAME!!

Is everyone back in off the ledge now? Can we not call it a lost season in NOVEMBER anymore?
I live every game on the ledge!

What a turning point. We're down 13 with 8 minutes left in the first half, and it's getting ugly, it's turning into Bucknell part 2, but Ray hits a couple of 3's, we go on a 10-0 run, and stabilize the game. Our experience came through.

The second half may have been the best effort on both sides of the ball I can remember. Offensively, we exploited UCLA's inexperience and lack of guard play to get open looks all night. I think UCLA got a little burned by our guards getting to the rack in the first half, their bigs got in foul trouble, and they eased off us in the second to protect the paint, which turned out to be a huge error.

Ray was a killer, 27 points, Buie was the man though, he did whatever he wanted, crazy 13-13 from the line too.

Defensively, we just refused to give them good looks from the perimeter, UCLA had success inside, but they crumbled when Riley got the Tech and fouled out. Good efforts from the big men, good efforts from Pemba and Coburn on the glass. We wanted it more, we broke them, and we got the double digit W against a big name program, one of the biggest wins in program history.
Polito

Post by Polito »

And FD, kudos to you for only days ago calling Ray our future go-to... he was that big time tonight. All know how I feel about Buie. And Pemba really manned up tonight - THAT'S the kind of player I expect him to be. Please keep that up EP.

And I was saying this to myself listening on the radio, as you noted FD, when these guards attack the lane and don't just chuck up 3's with no plan, they are very tough to defend. It is one of the keys to success when your guards are your strength - attack attack attack. Worked beautifully tonight, as should be expected.

And I was on the money for Rothstein's tweet LOL - HU gonna gain some national attention for this one. Well-earned fellas. Rest up, and show this wasn't a fluke.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: And I was saying this to myself listening on the radio, as you noted FD, when these guards attack the lane and don't just chuck up 3's with no plan, they are very tough to defend. It is one of the keys to success when your guards are your strength - attack attack attack. Worked beautifully tonight, as should be expected.
Was saying the same even during the SJSU game. They primarily won tonight because of the 12/24 from 3... but what opened that up? As you said, guards attacking. And what else does that get you besides opening up the 3s? Tonight, attacking helped yield 12 more FTA than UCLA and 10 more FTM in a 10-point win. Hopefully, those are lessons learned to move forward with for the rest of the season.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

WOW
What a great game
Hope HU Sports continues to upset every game in California the next 10 days.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Free throws don't matter. So I've been told!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

LOL
Free Throws don’t matter? Free Throws always matter.

Our 4-headed monster...Buie, Pemberton,Ray and Coburn...played essentially the entire game.
Buie his career best game
Ray the reason I don’t coach is I’d have Ray come off the bench...Ray has been an excellent starter
Coburn is our dirty work guy-the streakiest shooter I have ever seen
Pemberton he may not be the stud we all thought but he is a solid player
The 4-headed monster combined for 81 of our 88 points
The 4 headed monster combined for only 8 of 17 fouls (one of the keys to our win)
The 4 headed monster combined for 23 Free Throws made (out of 25)
The 4 headed monster combined for only 3 turnovers

Our 3 headed monster...Hunter, Schutte and Truehart - these 3 combined for 21 minutes; 6 boards; 2 points; 5 fouls and 1 turnover! HH lead the team in minutes off the bench.

We were out rebounded 36-27
UCLA had 22 assists (to our 12)
Those 2 stats usually mean a loss

We had precious few turnovers - 7 (to their 11)
We made 6 more 3’s then UCLA did
We made 10 more FT’s then they did (we won by 10)

Free Throws matter
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

Wow, I confess to always having great hope but modest expectations. When we couldn't seem to stop them and were down 30-19 at around the 10 minute mark I went to bed. I am 82 with a heart condition so my cardiologist would be happy. It is now around 3:30 and I got one of the more pleasant shocks of my life. Kudos to all. Jaylen and Desure have been terrific and giving their all every game. Keep it going guys. Go Pride!
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote:LOL
Free Throws don’t matter? Free Throws always matter.

Our 4-headed monster...Buie, Pemberton,Ray and Coburn...played essentially the entire game.
Buie his career best game
Ray the reason I don’t coach is I’d have Ray come off the bench...Ray has been an excellent starter
Coburn is our dirty work guy-the streakiest shooter I have ever seen
Pemberton he may not be the stud we all thought but he is a solid player
The 4-headed monster combined for 81 of our 88 points
The 4 headed monster combined for only 8 of 17 fouls (one of the keys to our win)
The 4 headed monster combined for 23 Free Throws made (out of 25)
The 4 headed monster combined for only 3 turnovers

Our 3 headed monster...Hunter, Schutte and Truehart - these 3 combined for 21 minutes; 6 boards; 2 points; 5 fouls and 1 turnover! HH lead the team in minutes off the bench.

We were out rebounded 36-27
UCLA had 22 assists (to our 12)
Those 2 stats usually mean a loss

We had precious few turnovers - 7 (to their 11)
We made 6 more 3’s then UCLA did
We made 10 more FT’s then they did (we won by 10)

Free Throws matter
He was being sarcastic - going back to a comment made by someone else years ago (I think before this board, on the CAAZoneboard) who claimed FTs were overrated and that almost all games came down to FG% and turnover rate, I think. Most of us, if not the rest of us, said no... FTs matter too!