MBB Game 5: at UCLA (Thu 11/21, 11 pm ET)

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: MBB Game 5: at UCLA (Thu 11/21, 11 pm ET)

Post by Polito »

Oh well, hoping the Bruins improve as the yr goes on - believe they will.

I get it Wags on Mason, but name matters - it's all about perception, it's reality as the saying goes. That was def a great W that gave HU some solid attention as GMU was a ranked team at the time, but it was at home and against a mid major (ranking aside). These are the best of the modern era IMO, in no order yet:

GT
UCLA
St Johns
FSU
GMU

Next would be like St Bon, La Salle types. Ranking those is prob subjective 8-)
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I believe we also beat Virginia at the Nassau Coliseum in the late 70's.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

If we are talking about wins against power conferences let's not forget beating Rutgers back to back years at MSG.. also beat Nebraska in 06 NIT
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Oh well, hoping the Bruins improve as the yr goes on - believe they will.

I get it Wags on Mason, but name matters - it's all about perception, it's reality as the saying goes. That was def a great W that gave HU some solid attention as GMU was a ranked team at the time, but it was at home and against a mid major (ranking aside). These are the best of the modern era IMO, in no order yet:

GT
UCLA
St Johns
FSU
GMU

George Mason is the only Final Four team in that group in the season Hofstra beat them. You can have the names. I'll go by the quality of the team. Perception matters for the casual fan who doesn't follow that closely and only knows program names. For those who actually follow the sport closely, it's very different.

Also, it's hard to take seriously the shouting done every March that mids don't get a fair shake vs. P5s in terms of selection and/or seeding when I see list like the one above, with a 15-16 Georgia Tech team at the top of the list four spots ahead of a George Mason team that was nationally ranked and which played in the Final Four. Those two things don't square with each other.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Dooku25 wrote:If we are talking about wins against power conferences let's not forget beating Rutgers back to back years at MSG.. also beat Nebraska in 06 NIT
That was an 11-16 Rutgers team.

Hofstra (3 seed, at home) was supposed to beat Nebraska (6 seed).

Again, big wins in "brand name" only.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote:
Polito wrote: Oh well, hoping the Bruins improve as the yr goes on - believe they will.

GT
UCLA
St Johns
FSU
GMU

George Mason is the only Final Four team in that group in the season Hofstra beat them. You can have the names. I'll go by the quality of the team. Perception matters for the casual fan who doesn't follow that closely and only knows program names. For those who actually follow the sport closely, it's very different.

Also, it's hard to take seriously the shouting done every March that mids don't get a fair shake vs. P5s in terms of selection and/or seeding when I see list like the one above, with a 15-16 Georgia Tech team at the top of the list four spots ahead of a George Mason team that was nationally ranked and which played in the Final Four. Those two things don't square with each other.
I agree that GT shouldn't be on top of the last. The 2015-2016 win at St. Bonaventure who went 22-9 should be above that. We came up a little short in a 69-67 overtime loss at VCU in 2018-2019 and a 71-70 loss at South Florida in 2014-2015. Mid-major fans aren't the only ones who talk like the best wins have to be against the best conferences. If you had a transcript of every word from every announcer, there would be wins called "upsets" by major team, major conference, and/or supposedly neutral announcers when the mid-major was better in all the formulas.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Wags wrote:
Dooku25 wrote:If we are talking about wins against power conferences let's not forget beating Rutgers back to back years at MSG.. also beat Nebraska in 06 NIT

I'm not disagreeing with the opinion that the George Mason wins are best in school history. They probably are. The first one at home while they were nationally ranked in coaches poll is probably the highest ranked opponent HU has ever defeated. And to say HU beat a final 4 team twice in the same year holds alot of weight.

But also a win against any power conference opponent regardless of if those teams were having a down year is still a big win for school like Hofstra. The Big East and Big 12 are recruiting a higher caliber of athlete so even in a down year they should be capable of beating good Hofstra teams. I'll take a win again power conference teams any day of the week. Did you see the faces of all of the UCLA players and coaches while shaking hands at the end of game? They were in stunned disbelief that they just lost to Hofstra. It's not supposed to happen regardless of if UCLA has a strong team or not this year. It's definitely a great win, historic win for us.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Wags wrote:George Mason is the only Final Four team in that group in the season Hofstra beat them. You can have the names. I'll go by the quality of the team. Perception matters for the casual fan who doesn't follow that closely and only knows program names. For those who actually follow the sport closely, it's very different.

Well in that case then the biggest non-con win we've ever had was beating Kent State back in '02 when they went to the Elite 8. Nobody has even brought that one up.

It matters when we beat the major conference teams because they have more talent and resources than we do, even if we knock them off in their mediocre years. Like JWF getting drafted, it shows recruits that we play the big boys and can elevate to beat them. That's why nobody even mentioned the Kent win over any of the others listed.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Dooku25 wrote:
Wags wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with the opinion that the George Mason wins are best in school history. They probably are. The first one at home while they were nationally ranked in coaches poll is probably the highest ranked opponent HU has ever defeated. And to say HU beat a final 4 team twice in the same year holds alot of weight.

But also a win against any power conference opponent regardless of if those teams were having a down year is still a big win for school like Hofstra. The Big East and Big 12 are recruiting a higher caliber of athlete so even in a down year they should be capable of beating good Hofstra teams. I'll take a win again power conference teams any day of the week. Did you see the faces of all of the UCLA players and coaches while shaking hands at the end of game? They were in stunned disbelief that they just lost to Hofstra. It's not supposed to happen regardless of if UCLA has a strong team or not this year. It's definitely a great win, historic win for us.
Both can be true. The UCLA win is big, even historic. And it can still not be one of the top 3-4 wins in school history. The first George Mason win, and maybe the second (along with others) are probably bigger. The Kent State win should also be mentioned. Not mentioning Kent State actually proves my point as much as failing to mention Geroge Mason... that in the recalling the greatest wins in Hofstra history, we're more apt to mention a win over a Georgia Tech team that ended up 15-16 than a win over a Kent State team that went 30-6 and reached the Elite 8. We ascribe "great wins" to beating big names more than basing it on the quality of the opponent. But those Mason and Kent State teams were flat out better than those Georgia Tech, Penn or Rutgers teams. That's a surprising and inconsistent angle for the same group of fans who (perhaps rightfully) cry every March that P5s are unfairly favored over mids.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

UCLA is up there with NC, Kentucky, Duke and Kansas. That is the Mt. Rushmore of college basketball.
Beating one of those programs is truly HISTORIC for Hofstra.
The others pale in comparison.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:UCLA is up there with NC, Kentucky, Duke and Kansas. That is the Mt. Rushmore of college basketball.
Beating one of those programs is truly HISTORIC for Hofstra.
The others pale in comparison.
Even if UCLA finishes in the bottom third or bottom quarter of the Pac-12 this year (they were picked 8th)? You're not a great team simply because others who wore the same uniform before you were great. Years, eras are different, even within the same school sometimes. Same for the NBA. This year's Spurs are nowhere near the great Spurs we saw for about a two-decade stretch merely because they're same franchise.

I'm not diminishing the UCLA win. I think it's probably a Top 5 win all-time for Hofstra. I just don't think it's as good as beating an eventual Final Four team that was ranked or a 30-win, eventual Elite 8 team, regardless of what programs those teams were.
Polito

Post by Polito »

You are clearly hell bent on winning this one Wags :D Not sure there's an 'argument' though, I think we're speaking to very different things.

Please reread my post, I specifically said the list was NOT in order. That's the first thing, so you and others can stop harping on ranking lol.

Second, I also said this is about perception. You are speaking about stats. These are two very different categories, so I don't think there's a big one is right and one is wrong here.

I know you know this, no one gives a rats rear about who 'technically' was better. I loved beating a ranked GMU team on our floor that eventually went to the FF. But the rest of the world, yes even those who really pay attention as you stated, would not note that win as being a historic one. Just a fact. You as a purist and statistician might. But others won't.

It is absolutely about the name on the jersey. I think this bothers you, but take that up with the world lol. That's the way it is. Beating GT, SJU, UCLA, FSU, Nebraska in the NIT, etc, these are all way more important and way 'bigger' wins for this program than beating a conf foe. Why? Because those programs have more tradition, more history, better talent, and bigger budgets. GMU was mostly on HU's level for all at the time.

Name matters here just like brands matter when buying clothes. You can tell me all day long that H&M stuff is just as good as Hugo Boss, but that doesn't mean a daggone thing to me or the public. I think Louis Vitton bags are a rippoff with literally nothing in them except the basic outside material, but that doesn't change the popularity, desire to own, or the image of higher income that comes with it. Red bottom shoes for woman is basically a nice paint job lol. But having Louboutins means a helluva lot more than some Kors. It's the way it is bud. Perception is reality. Repeat it, and accept it. :D
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:You are clearly hell bent on winning this one Wags :D Not sure there's an 'argument' though, I think we're speaking to very different things.

Please reread my post, I specifically said the list was NOT in order. That's the first thing, so you and others can stop harping on ranking lol.

Second, I also said this is about perception. You are speaking about stats. These are two very different categories, so I don't think there's a big one is right and one is wrong here.

I know you know this, no one gives a rats rear about who 'technically' was better. I loved beating a ranked GMU team on our floor that eventually went to the FF. But the rest of the world, yes even those who really pay attention as you stated, would not note that win as being a historic one. Just a fact. You as a purist and statistician might. But others won't.

It is absolutely about the name on the jersey. I think this bothers you, but take that up with the world lol. That's the way it is. Beating GT, SJU, UCLA, FSU, Nebraska in the NIT, etc, these are all way more important and way 'bigger' wins for this program than beating a conf foe. Why? Because those programs have more tradition, more history, better talent, and bigger budgets. GMU was mostly on HU's level for all at the time.

It's literally why the Bracketbuster games were created, remember?
Name matters here just like brands matter when buying clothes. You can tell me all day long that H&M stuff is just as good as Hugo Boss, but that doesn't mean a daggone thing to me or the public. I think Louis Vitton bags are a rippoff with literally nothing in them except the basic outside material, but that doesn't change the popularity, desire to own, or the image of higher income that comes with it. Red bottom shoes for woman is basically a nice paint job lol. But having Louboutins means a helluva lot more than some Kors. It's the way it is bud. Perception is reality. Repeat it, and accept it. :D
Okay, if you don't believe me, ask the NCAAT committee. If you're a mid-major bubble team, what helps your NCAAT resume more? That you beat another nationally-ranked, mid-major NCAAT-bound team, or that you beat some .500 NIT-bound P5 "big name" team? If Richmond (5-1 now) is on the bubble this year, it's going to help them way more if they beat VCU (6-0, ranked 20th now) once or twice than their win over Wisconsin (4-3 and struggling right now). That's just a fact.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Wags to the NCAa committee you are right To the casual its all about name recognition Mist casual fans cant tell you where Hofstra or George Mason is but they know who and where UCLA is
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Wags to the NCAa committee you are right To the casual its all about name recognition Mist casual fans cant tell you where Hofstra or George Mason is but they know who and where UCLA is
Yeah, somewhere above, I said the same about the casual fan and it being different to the fan who actually follows college hoops closely (like those here). I don't care about the casual fan because a couple of days later, they'll completely forget about a win like that and won't recall it later on.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Polito wrote:You are clearly hell bent on winning this one Wags :D Not sure there's an 'argument' though, I think we're speaking to very different things.

Louis Vitton and Louboutins? You've lost me, Polito. :)
Polito

Post by Polito »

:lol:

Yeah, I’m in big trouble man. LOL.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The Pac-12 didn't provide many highlights. I just found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2cXiptcMgg which has highlights.
Wags

Post by Wags »

UCLA lost at home tonight to Cal State Fullerton, the same CSF which Hofstra beat by 22 last month, the same CSF which entered Pauley Pavillion 3-10 and on a seven-game losing streak. The Bruins are just 7-6 and have lost at home to Liberty, Belmont, Hofstra and CSF within the past two years, as well as to Monmouth at home five years ago.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Liberty wasn't a bad loss. They're one of the three undefeated teams. Today is the second consecutive day that LSU plays a game with an undefeated team. After beating Oklahoma in Football yesterday, they're favored hosting Liberty, whose schedule is so weak that they are in the Top 50 in the Sagarin or KenPom. They're the best team in the Atlantic Sun by 174 spots in the NET, which is almost half the amount of Division I teams, so if they win today they have a chance at being 34-0 (32-0 vs. Division I) on Selection Sunday. They're 43-7 (38-7 vs. Division I) in 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 combined with an NCAA Tournament win as a 12 seed over 5 seed Mississippi State and a 9-point loss to 4 seed Virginia Tech. Belmont had 6 losses last season, won a First Four game, and lost to Maryland by 2 in the Round of 64. The loss to Monmouth four seasons ago wasn't bad either is they went 28-8 including neutral site wins over Notre Dame (24-12 and reached the Elite Eight) and USC (21-13 with a Round of 64 loss that was called the Second Round then). Monmouth lost the MAAC Final to Iona 79-76 and won one NIT game. CSF is the only bad team of the five you named. Before beating UCLA, CSF's wins were over Wyoming (4-9), Cal State Stanislaus (non-Division I), and Southeast Missouri State (2-9). UCLA fell to 183rd in the NET, which is in the bottom half, and they have the worst NET in the Pac-12. It would be something if they didn't reach double-digit wins. What percent of college and high school basketball players who were never in the LA area know much about UCLA under John Wooden? You can't expect recruits to know as much about team's history as Baseball Writers Association of America (BBWAA) members know about Hall of Fame candidates.