JWF

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

JWF

Post by Cards »

Congrats to Justin - just goes to show that hard work still contributes to success!

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/10/22/m ... oster.aspx
daHUPride

Re: JWF

Post by daHUPride »

Well deserved - nice going JFW!!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I wondered who isn't on the roster because JWF wasn't among the planned 15 players. Team have 15 players plus two on two-way contracts. 2 of the 15 players must be ruled inactive before every game. https://www.lineups.com/nba/lineups/utah-jazz lists 13 players including Exum but not JWF. Even if he doesn't play, if JWF gets paid for his first game at the NBA rate, that's good. The NBA minimum is $898,310, and dividing by 82 is $10,955. I'm not saying that's how his contract works, but if that is how it works then making almost $11,000 for being inactive for a game is a great financial start.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Great to see Justin on the opening night roster...Yes indeed hard work and talent go hand in hand for Justin. Noticed that he is listed at 6-0 on the Jazz roster as opposed to 6-2 at Hofstra. Must be the high altitude in Utah! LOL
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Opening night, and there's still no roster picture of him. Only player without one.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

This is cool to see, but would've been way cooler had they gotten his name right :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe2qJIJAC2Y
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Jazz vs. Lakers on ESPN tonight at 10:30.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Really hope JWF gets a real shot with real PT - I think the kid can play in this league, he has the game for it despite small size - and no one in the NBA gives a rip about D, so... 8-) will check the game out tonight, pulling for him!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

For the second consecutive game, he was one of two players decided as inactive before the game, which is like healthy scratches in the NHL. Jarrell Brantley is active and may or not get subbed on.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Sheez ... :roll:

The Jazz look awful, they need to let this kid give it a go
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Sheez ... :roll:

When did you watch them? This was posted the day after they beat the Kings by 32, to go 2-1. And they have been around a 50-win team the past three years. Also projected to be even better this year with Conley at PG and Gobert protecting the paint - an aready good defensive team even stronger defensively with the addition of Conley. They are considered to be one of the solid and rising teams in the West. We'd all love JWF to play, but it won't be because the Jazz are awful. They're legit. He's going to have to get his opportunity somehow and earn it.
Wags

Post by Wags »

JWF just needs his chances.

We remember Drexel's Damion Lee, right? Has so far broken out with a career-high 23 pts on 8/12 fg, 4/6 from 3 in 23 bench minutes, with some time left in the Warriors' rout of the Pelicans tonight.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:I wondered who isn't on the roster because JWF wasn't among the planned 15 players. Team have 15 players plus two on two-way contracts. 2 of the 15 players must be ruled inactive before every game. https://www.lineups.com/nba/lineups/utah-jazz lists 13 players including Exum but not JWF. Even if he doesn't play, if JWF gets paid for his first game at the NBA rate, that's good. The NBA minimum is $898,310, and dividing by 82 is $10,955. I'm not saying that's how his contract works, but if that is how it works then making almost $11,000 for being inactive for a game is a great financial start.
The $898,310 for the regular minimum (non-two-way) contracts are very different than the salaries for two-way deals. But, the two-ways deals pay a lot more recently than they used to. JWF and Brantley are each on two-way contracts earning $79,568 this year. So no, it's not about $900K, but how many Hofstra grads get to make $80K right out of school, with the potential to make far more soon, all while pursuing a lifelong dream and passion? That's still pretty good for right now. Not bad for a couple of CAA guys who never won an NCAA tourney game, one of whom never played in one. I think that 3x3 title during Final Four weekend helped them.
https://hoopshype.com/salaries/utah_jazz/
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
Polito wrote:Sheez ... :roll:

When did you watch them? This was posted the day after they beat the Kings by 32, to go 2-1. And they have been around a 50-win team the past three years. Also projected to be even better this year with Conley at PG and Gobert protecting the paint - an aready good defensive team even stronger defensively with the addition of Conley. They are considered to be one of the solid and rising teams in the West. We'd all love JWF to play, but it won't be because the Jazz are awful. They're legit. He's going to have to get his opportunity somehow and earn it.
I don't follow the NBA much but will say this yes Utah has a decent team and Justin will have to leap frog some players to get on the floor. In a very small sample size though Conley has not shot well especially from beyond the arc @ 15%. He's a proven PG so I'd imagine at some point he will turn this around but Justin with a little luck hopefully will get his chance he just needs to make the most of it.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote:
EvanJ wrote: I wondered who isn't on the roster because JWF wasn't among the planned 15 players. Team have 15 players plus two on two-way contracts. 2 of the 15 players must be ruled inactive before every game. https://www.lineups.com/nba/lineups/utah-jazz lists 13 players including Exum but not JWF. Even if he doesn't play, if JWF gets paid for his first game at the NBA rate, that's good. The NBA minimum is $898,310, and dividing by 82 is $10,955. I'm not saying that's how his contract works, but if that is how it works then making almost $11,000 for being inactive for a game is a great financial start.
The $898,310 for the regular minimum (non-two-way) contracts are very different than the salaries for two-way deals. But, the two-ways deals pay a lot more recently than they used to. JWF and Brantley are each on two-way contracts earning $79,568 this year. So no, it's not about $900K, but how many Hofstra grads get to make $80K right out of school, with the potential to make far more soon, all while pursuing a lifelong dream and passion? That's still pretty good for right now. Not bad for a couple of CAA guys who never won an NCAA tourney game, one of whom never played in one. I think that 3x3 title during Final Four weekend helped them.
What I was asking is if two-way players get paid at a higher rate while in the NBA. Do a two-way player in the G League the whole season and a two-way player in the NBA for the 45 day maximum make the same amount? Players who get promoted to MLB make a prorated portion of the MLB minimum during that time regardless of their minor league contract. I wasn't trying to say that he would make the NBA minimum for the whole season.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

EvanJ wrote:
Wags wrote:
EvanJ wrote: I wondered who isn't on the roster because JWF wasn't among the planned 15 players. Team have 15 players plus two on two-way contracts. 2 of the 15 players must be ruled inactive before every game. https://www.lineups.com/nba/lineups/utah-jazz lists 13 players including Exum but not JWF. Even if he doesn't play, if JWF gets paid for his first game at the NBA rate, that's good. The NBA minimum is $898,310, and dividing by 82 is $10,955. I'm not saying that's how his contract works, but if that is how it works then making almost $11,000 for being inactive for a game is a great financial start.
What I was asking is if two-way players get paid at a higher rate while in the NBA. Do a two-way player in the G League the whole season and a two-way player in the NBA for the 45 day maximum make the same amount? Players who get promoted to MLB make a prorated portion of the MLB minimum during that time regardless of their minor league contract. I wasn't trying to say that he would make the NBA minimum for the whole season.
Evan - You are correct. They earn the prorated portion of the NBA minimum for days spent on a NBA roster. The below link goes into details on the mechanics of it but the article is one year old so the numbers are for the prior season. It says they earn the prorated NBA minimum for "days with their NBA team"; not sure if this means they must be active to be paid or if JWF is being paid at the NBA rate for these days he is with them but not active.

https://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-leag ... 19-season/
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Thank you. Taking the maximum salary for two-way players including NBA time and subtracting the two-way minimum gave $307,750. Diving by the maximum 45 days makes $6,838.89 per day (it's a repeating decimal for 8/9ths of a dollar). Some teams opened last Tuesday. If you give him 8 days for last Tuesday through today, it's $54,711.11 (it's a repeating decimal of 1/9th of a dollar), which could be over $60,000 for an increase for this season. I'm not saying he's being paid at that rate, but if he is he should save money because if he's using up a lot of the 45 days early in the season his average salary per day will decrease as the season goes on and he's in the G League almost every day.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

In last nights Utah game Conley finally has a decent game and scores 29 points on 11/17 shooting and guess what Justin sits again!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

He was one of the two inactive players again. If you look at box scores at https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401160705 and other places, active players who were not used get a DNP- Coach's Decision (DNP means Did Not Play). The two players designated as inactive before the game are not listed. You could have looked at the box score at the beginning of all of Utah's games and known that JWF wouldn't play. In terms of the atmosphere, he's around many more fans than he would be in the G League and many more fans than he played in front of at Hofstra and almost all of our away and neutral games. From the point of view of improving, he might be better starting in the G League. Baseball fans sometimes say that they would rather a young player start and develop in the minors rather than be a sub in the majors.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:He was one of the two inactive players again. If you look at box scores at https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401160705 and other places, active players who were not used get a DNP- Coach's Decision (DNP means Did Not Play). The two players designated as inactive before the game are not listed. You could have looked at the box score at the beginning of all of Utah's games and known that JWF wouldn't play. In terms of the atmosphere, he's around many more fans than he would be in the G League and many more fans than he played in front of at Hofstra and almost all of our away and neutral games. From the point of view of improving, he might be better starting in the G League. Baseball fans sometimes say that they would rather a young player start and develop in the minors rather than be a sub in the majors.
It's a fair enough point but watching him play for so many years I feel he likes the big stage and wants to show people what an exciting player he is. He probably needs a player to go down to get his break I hate to say.