Wags

College Insider Mid-Major Top 25

Post by Wags »

Hofstra at No. 24 in the College Insider Mid-Major preseason poll:

https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 3926593536
HUSID80

Re: College Insider Mid-Major Top 25

Post by HUSID80 »

Think Towson was ranked somewhere around 7th.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Towson was 8th. CAA teams normally don't do well in the Mid-Major Poll.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The latest mid major poll has us at 16 moving up from 24 and Towson at 7. Iona dropped from 9 to 10.
https://collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25
shbcpa85

Post by shbcpa85 »

And # 2 St Mary's who we play on Saturday
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

How could Iona be ranked that far ahead of us after we beat them? This ranking does not pass the SMELL test!
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:How could Iona be ranked that far ahead of us after we beat them? This ranking does not pass the SMELL test!
Polls always work that way. You're not going to close a gap of 15 spots from only a single win over a team, especially when that win is a very close one on your own floor. Going from a gap of 15 to a gap of only six between HU and Iona is significant and seems about right for that win.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

HUSID80 its not where you are in the polls in November its in March where it counts
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

HUSID80 wrote:How could Iona be ranked that far ahead of us after we beat them? This ranking does not pass the SMELL test!
Totally agree. The poll is stating that Iona is still better than us in their eyes. We beat them. We should be in front of them. That should be it.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote:
Totally agree. The poll is stating that Iona is still better than us in their eyes. We beat them. We should be in front of them. That should be it.
That's not how these polls work. You don't climb that much off of a single win over a team. Michigan State was unranked (the first team off the list, at No. 26). They missed beating No. 2 Gonzaga by one shot and they beat No. 4 Kentucky in OT. I guarantee Michigan State will be ranked on Monday, but I also guarantee they won't be ranked higher than Kentucky. They're not going to make up 23 spots and move ahead of Kentucky off of that win, even with the very close loss to Gonzaga.

If Hofstra (at 16), beat Saint Mary's (at 2), they won't suddenly be ranked ahead of Saint Mary's. And that's correct. It would mean Hofstra was better that night, but not necessarily a better team in general.

I have no problem with them saying Iona is still better than Hofstra at THIS particular moment. If Hofstra keeps winning and Iona stumbles some more, the polls will reflect that and show that Hofstra is a better team in general later on.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Nah, can't defend it wags, it's BS. Fully agree with the board here, and I was going to make note of it.

HU continues to get ZERO respect in this poll AND the Mid Majority one:
https://www.midmajormadness.com/2022/11 ... r-top-spot

HU nowhere to be found, they almost never get proper attention from this site. And I'm sorry but this team could take down a few of those ranked teams, would bet money on it. SJU game aside (because sorry not sorry they deserved criticsim in that one), but beating Princeton, Iona, and GW is a helluva start for ANY mid major team.

So HU has two big opps to make national noise, and it HAS to steal at least one, if not both, to put themselves on the map this season:

Saint Mary's and Purdue.

HU finds a way to get 1 of those done, Lord willing BOTH, and this program will confirm what happened last year against Arkansas was no fluke - THAT'S how you raise your profile - you have continued success winning games you 'shouldn't' against P5's, AND you play in NCAAT's (<- PLURAL) - even better, you make noise in the dance. That's the formula for going national and elevating your mid major program to the next relative level.

Let's do that. 8-)
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Nah, can't defend it wags, it's BS. Fully agree with the board here, and I was going to make note of it.

HU continues to get ZERO respect in this poll AND the Mid Majority one:
https://www.midmajormadness.com/2022/11 ... r-top-spot

HU nowhere to be found, they almost never get proper attention from this site. And I'm sorry but this team could take down a few of those ranked teams, would bet money on it. SJU game aside (because sorry not sorry they deserved criticsim in that one), but beating Princeton, Iona, and GW is a helluva start for ANY mid major team.

So HU has two big opps to make national noise, and it HAS to steal at least one, if not both, to put themselves on the map this season:

Saint Mary's and Purdue.

HU finds a way to get 1 of those done, Lord willing BOTH, and this program will confirm what happened last year against Arkansas was no fluke - THAT'S how you raise your profile - you have continued success winning games you 'shouldn't' against P5's, AND you play in NCAAT's (<- PLURAL) - even better, you make noise in the dance. That's the formula for going national and elevating your mid major program to the next relative level.

Let's do that. 8-)
Okay lol. You know how polls work. Teams simply do not jump 20+ spots over a team they beat for merely that win. How is this even a real argument from guys who follow closely college basketball closely every year? Has absolutely nothing to do with any sort of anti-Hofstra bias. Watch what happens with Kentucky and Michigan State on Monday. You guy knows this!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Wags wrote:
Hofstra wrote:
That's not how these polls work. You don't climb that much off of a single win over a team. Michigan State was unranked (the first team off the list, at No. 26). They missed beating No. 2 Gonzaga by one shot and they beat No. 4 Kentucky in OT. I guarantee Michigan State will be ranked on Monday, but I also guarantee they won't be ranked higher than Kentucky. They're not going to make up 23 spots and move ahead of Kentucky off of that win, even with the very close loss to Gonzaga.

If Hofstra (at 16), beat Saint Mary's (at 2), they won't suddenly be ranked ahead of Saint Mary's. And that's correct. It would mean Hofstra was better that night, but not necessarily a better team in general.

I have no problem with them saying Iona is still better than Hofstra at THIS particular moment. If Hofstra keeps winning and Iona stumbles some more, the polls will reflect that and show that Hofstra is a better team in general later on.
I understand what you're saying in regards to Michigan St. and not jumping 20 spots in the coaches poll. We are talking about a different poll though. Iona has proven nothing. They arent coming off a tournament victory here. They are not a blue blood program. The fact that Iona dropped only 1 spot should indicate that they got beat by a good Hofstra team. These rankings are nonsense.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote: I understand what you're saying in regards to Michigan St. and not jumping 20 spots in the coaches poll. We are talking about a different poll though. Iona has proven nothing. They arent coming off a tournament victory here. They are not a blue blood program. The fact that Iona dropped only 1 spot should indicate that they got beat by a good Hofstra team. These rankings are nonsense.
These polls all work the same way. Top 25, mid-major, doesn't matter. You don't make up 20 spots from a single win, especially a very close one on your own floor.

That the gap between Iona and Hofstra was 15 before they played and now it's only six is a significant closing of the gap and very reflective of Hofstra's win over Iona. But the way the polls work is it takes more than that. And it should, because almost anyone can beat almost anyone else on a given night.

If Hofstra keeps winning and Iona stumbles again, Hofstra will eventually be ahead of Iona in the polls. I'm really surprised that this is even a question. I am pretty sure you guys have known this following college hoops for many years and are only viewing this mid-major poll through blue-and-gold (really, yellow) glasses.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Don't get me wrong, I love this stuff, and would be ecstatic with HU being top ranked!

But also have to recognize they are definitely BS to an extent though, these mid major ones make little sense in some years - it's largely built on rep / name / optics in the early weeks, which I do get wags - just saying that doesn't mean it isn't BS lol :) it is.

And HU largely gets VERY little respect in these things. Granted they absolutely need to earn it which comes from long-term sustained national success, not just one offs OOC and zip in March, but there are times when HU has earned it and it isn't reflected.

But no matter, it's just an early season poll, not the end of the world of course - if HU takes care of business that will change in a big way.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love this stuff, and would be ecstatic with HU being top ranked!

But also have to recognize they are definitely BS to an extent though, these mid major ones make little sense in some years - it's largely built on rep / name / optics in the early weeks, which I do get wags - just saying that doesn't mean it isn't BS lol :) it is.

And HU largely gets VERY little respect in these things. Granted they absolutely need to earn it which comes from long-term sustained national success, not just one offs OOC and zip in March, but there are times when HU has earned it and it isn't reflected.

But no matter, it's just an early season poll, not the end of the world of course - if HU takes care of business that will change in a big way.
I think it's been very fair for Hofstra so far. They have a lot new pieces and had a challenging early schedule. To even place them in the top 25 (at 24) to start might have even been generous before seeing how they'd pan out with the new pieces.

Then they went up eights spots, from 24 to 16 after only two wins. Now they have two more. Play SMC close or even win, and watch how much they'll shoot up from 16. It's not realistic to think they should have started out in the top 10 or top 15 with all of the new pieces or to think that those two wins would catapult them more than eight spots, which is a big jump for one week.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Hofstra with the loss to St Mary's goes from 16 to 17. I wonder how far up we would gone if we had won. OK not to start this debate again. But more importantly Towson is at #6 and Charleston with a 5-1 record comes from out of nowhere to #8 and Iona now #11. Soooo how did Charleston who was not ranked move to #8 explain that one to me??
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote:Hofstra with the loss to St Mary's goes from 16 to 17. I wonder how far up we would gone if we had won. OK not to start this debate again. But more importantly Towson is at #6 and Charleston with a 5-1 record comes from out of nowhere to #8 and Iona now #11. Soooo how did Charleston who was not ranked move to #8 explain that one to me??
Charleston beat Virginia Tech who was receiving more votes in the regular top 25 polls than St Mary's. So they have a better win than IF Hofstra had beat St Mary's. This isn't rocket science. They also aren't receiving votes in the regular top 25's poll while Virginia Teach still is. So again they beat Virginia Tech who is ranked better than Charleston while we beat Iona who is ranked better than us in this poll.

So if Hofstra Beat St Mary's you probably would expect us to be ranked right around that #8 spot. Maybe a spot above or below Charleston depending on how much the voters valued Virginia Tech over St Mary's verse Hofstra being hypothetically undefeated. And Yes St Mary's probably would still be ranked above Hofstra in this scenario; probably right around the 4 or 5 spot.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:HUSID80 its not where you are in the polls in November its in March where it counts
Really Stu???? LOL
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Hofstra with the loss to St Mary's goes from 16 to 17. I wonder how far up we would gone if we had won. OK not to start this debate again. But more importantly Towson is at #6 and Charleston with a 5-1 record comes from out of nowhere to #8 and Iona now #11. Soooo how did Charleston who was not ranked move to #8 explain that one to me??
Charleston beat Virginia Tech who was receiving more votes in the regular top 25 polls than St Mary's. So they have a better win than IF Hofstra had beat St Mary's. This isn't rocket science. They also aren't receiving votes in the regular top 25's poll while Virginia Teach still is. So again they beat Virginia Tech who is ranked better than Charleston while we beat Iona who is ranked better than us in this poll.

So if Hofstra Beat St Mary's you probably would expect us to be ranked right around that #8 spot. Maybe a spot above or below Charleston depending on how much the voters valued Virginia Tech over St Mary's verse Hofstra being hypothetically undefeated. And Yes St Mary's probably would still be ranked above Hofstra in this scenario; probably right around the 4 or 5 spot.
Look this was part of Wags argument that you don't move up numerous places based on one win. They didn't beat N Carolina and I know they have a good record against teams that were in the NCAA tourney last year but u can't assume those teams r good teams this year. So they go from not being ranked to #8?? This just seems to contradict the argument Wags was using that's my point. I get they should have been in the top 25 mid major poll but that high?