What's Next for JWF?

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: What's Next for JWF?

Post by Wags »

So... all that talk here about needing to go to the NCAA tourney to be drafted... congrats, JWF! And to his new teammate, Brantley, as well. Like I said before, talent is talent. NCAAT helps, but it's not the be all and end all to get drafted.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote:Saw on JWF instagram story the other day that he was playing with Kyle Guy and Naz Reid. I know that Naz received an invite. Pretty sure Kyle Guy will receive one as well. Maybe he knows that he is good to go
So, this is interesting in hindsight now, as JWF was selected two spots ahead of Guy and Reid not selected (although I personally think he should've been).
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

cactus wrote:Wright Foreman joins him with the Jazz at pick #53!!!!!
this great news for HU BB fans
this is better news for the hard working JFW
well deserved and thanks for the memories while you here
time to make some more highlights in the NBA
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wow I had my doubts but his due diligence has finally paid dividends. Congrats to you Justin and your family you're not only a great player but a role model as a human being. Show everyone that you belong!! BTW I thought I read that Brantley was drafted by the Pacers??
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:Wow I had my doubts but his due diligence has finally paid dividends. Congrats to you Justin and your family you're not only a great player but a role model as a human being. Show everyone that you belong!! BTW I thought I read that Brantley was drafted by the Pacers??
The Pacers pick was traded to Utah

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Wow I had my doubts but his due diligence has finally paid dividends. Congrats to you Justin and your family you're not only a great player but a role model as a human being. Show everyone that you belong!! BTW I thought I read that Brantley was drafted by the Pacers??

Also what happened to Shamorie Ponds going un-drafted?? A lot of people had him going in the 2nd round relatively early.BTW went on you tube to get reaction to some of the picks and had to listen to these clowns analyzing the draft Jimmy Crowther /Tom Downey. They laughed at Brantley being drafted repeatedly made snide comments about COC they said they never heard of Brantley. They then threw both Hofstra and JWF under the bus and said 27 pts a game for HU no big deal and that maybe Justin would be a G league phenom at best. I couldn't stand to listen to all this negativity and demeaning comments.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

They were correct about Utah drafting him, but wrong to say "despite being the clear No. 1 option on a team not overall very talented." We were 76th in the NET and 57th in the RPI. The middle spot was 177th. If you replaced him with an average CAA starter (third best player on a CAA team), Hofstra would have been much worse, but I don't think over 100 spots worse.
triplec2195 wrote:
cactus wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: Wow I had my doubts but his due diligence has finally paid dividends. Congrats to you Justin and your family you're not only a great player but a role model as a human being. Show everyone that you belong!! BTW I thought I read that Brantley was drafted by the Pacers??

Also what happened to Shamorie Ponds going un-drafted?? A lot of people had him going in the 2nd round relatively early.BTW went on you tube to get reaction to some of the picks and had to listen to these clowns analyzing the draft Jimmy Crowther /Tom Downey. They laughed at Brantley being drafted repeatedly made snide comments about COC they said they never heard of Brantley. They then threw both Hofstra and JWF under the bus and said 27 pts a game for HU no big deal and that maybe Justin would be a G league phenom at best. I couldn't stand to listen to all this negativity and demeaning comments.
Ponds was reportedly signed by Houston. What the NBA teams think is what matters. It's better to be drafted and insulted by those guys than to be undrafted and talked about as being snubbed.

Before JWF, the last back-to-back POY was Jerrelle Benimon. He was undrafted, but played 2:21 on March 10, 2015 and 0:23 two days later. Those games were for Utah. I don't know if people involved in giving Benimon a chance were involved in yesterday's draft, but it makes them arguably the most CAA-friendly NBA team. Furthermore, Utah got the 58th pick from Golden State and chose Miye Oni from Yale. I wonder if it's the first time an NBA team drafted three mid-major players. https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/06/2 ... ith-three/ has comments from Utah and JWF. In addition to drafting three mid-major players, they signed Frankie Ferrari, who averaged 14.7 points and 5.5 assists for San Francisco. In his first game of 2018-2019 against Gonzaga, he scored 21. Then he scored 14 and had 4 steals at Gonzaga. With Ponds not drafted and Oni drafted after JWF, JWF was the first pick from states northeast of Villanova. I mean New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. After Benimon, the only CAA player I know of to make his NBA debut is Joe Chealey, who played one NBA game for Charlotte on January 30. The most recent NBA seasons in which two players from the same CAA team appeared were Benimon and Gary Neal in 2014-2015 along with Eric Maynor and Larry Sanders from VCU in several seasons. Kent Bazemore averaged 11.6 points in 2018-2019, but I don't know of any other Old Dominion players in the NBA. If T.J. Williams can reach the NBA before J.J. Barea (Jose Juan Barea when he won 2005-2006 POY in Northeastern's first season in the CAA) retires. Williams was signed and waived by Charlotte.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Congrats to JWF!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

EvanJ wrote:
They were correct about Utah drafting him, but wrong to say "despite being the clear No. 1 option on a team not overall very talented." We were 76th in the NET and 57th in the RPI. The middle spot was 177th. If you replaced him with an average CAA starter (third best player on a CAA team), Hofstra would have been much worse, but I don't think over 100 spots worse.
triplec2195 wrote:
cactus wrote: The Pacers pick was traded to Utah

Ponds was reportedly signed by Houston. What the NBA teams think is what matters. It's better to be drafted and insulted by those guys than to be undrafted and talked about as being snubbed.

Before JWF, the last back-to-back POY was Jerrelle Benimon. He was undrafted, but played 2:21 on March 10, 2015 and 0:23 two days later. Those games were for Utah. I don't know if people involved in giving Benimon a chance were involved in yesterday's draft, but it makes them arguably the most CAA-friendly NBA team. Furthermore, Utah got the 58th pick from Golden State and chose Miye Oni from Yale. I wonder if it's the first time an NBA team drafted three mid-major players. https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/06/2 ... ith-three/ has comments from Utah and JWF. In addition to drafting three mid-major players, they signed Frankie Ferrari, who averaged 14.7 points and 5.5 assists for San Francisco. In his first game of 2018-2019 against Gonzaga, he scored 21. Then he scored 14 and had 4 steals at Gonzaga. With Ponds not drafted and Oni drafted after JWF, JWF was the first pick from states northeast of Villanova. I mean New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. After Benimon, the only CAA player I know of to make his NBA debut is Joe Chealey, who played one NBA game for Charlotte on January 30. The most recent NBA seasons in which two players from the same CAA team appeared were Benimon and Gary Neal in 2014-2015 along with Eric Maynor and Larry Sanders from VCU in several seasons. Kent Bazemore averaged 11.6 points in 2018-2019, but I don't know of any other Old Dominion players in the NBA. If T.J. Williams can reach the NBA before J.J. Barea (Jose Juan Barea when he won 2005-2006 POY in Northeastern's first season in the CAA) retires. Williams was signed and waived by Charlotte.
If they signed Ferrari too then Utah's scouts were definitely at the 3x3u tournament and put quite a bit of stock in it.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Congratulations to JUSTIN...well deserved! This is also great news for our program...if you're a guard you come to Hofstra, learn from Speedy and get a chance to showcase your talent! I'm now a Utah Jazz fan...just started following them on Twitter!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Congrats to JWF! A great player and ambassador of the school! He embodies hard work and passion. Very easy player to root for and I really hope he makes a name for himself at the next level. As a casual NBA fan, I would be happy to start following the Jazz should he get minutes there.

Hope this is notice to recruits that Hofstra can be the path to getting drafted. I can think of a lot of schools that haven't had three draft picks in the past 20 years. To be one of 60 is a pretty elite group when you consider there are over 300 Div. 1 schools.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So clue me in re the status of JWF. Will he automatically be given a contract and if so how much can he expect to earn initially??
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Pride97 wrote:To be one of 60 is a pretty elite group when you consider there are over 300 Div. 1 schools.
Plus the international guys!

Couldn't be happier for Justin. Getting the opportunity to watch him from casually shooting jumpers in the practice gym in street clothes during a season ticket holders event to two time CAA player of the year to NBA draftee was nothing but a joy. A humble and gracious guy to boot.

Check out his Instagram stories for some emotional moments. Just don't tear up at work like I did Image

https://instagram.com/j.wright3?igshid=ut7dibwnop7g (click on his profile pic)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
Pride97 wrote:To be one of 60 is a pretty elite group when you consider there are over 300 Div. 1 schools.
Plus the international guys!

Couldn't be happier for Justin. Getting the opportunity to watch him from casually shooting jumpers in the practice gym in street clothes during a season ticket holders event to two time CAA player of the year to NBA draftee was nothing but a joy. A humble and gracious guy to boot.

Check out his Instagram stories for some emotional moments. Just don't tear up at work like I did Image

https://instagram.com/j.wright3?igshid=ut7dibwnop7g (click on his profile pic)
Awesome this is what CBS Sports says about the pick; 53. Utah Jazz: PG Justin Wright-Foreman, Hofstra

Utah is banking on a brilliant pedigree in Wright-Foreman, who finished top 5 in the NCAA Division I in scoring each of the last two seasons. If anything can translate, it might be his stellar stroke from the 3-point line. Grade: B
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:So clue me in re the status of JWF. Will he automatically be given a contract and if so how much can he expect to earn initially??
For first-round picks, rookie contracts are fairly rigid, having essentially been predetermined. The NBA’s rookie-scale structure dictates that first-rounders will be signed to four-year deals, which include two guaranteed years, then team options in years three and four. The value of those contracts depends on where a player was drafted.

Teams can sign second-rounders to whatever amount they choose, using cap room or various exceptions. Those players who immediately join their NBA teams figure to get a minimum salary or something slightly above the minimum. Some second-rounders – and perhaps even some first-rounders – won’t sign in the NBA immediately. They may get two-way contracts, play in the G League, or head overseas to refine their games while their NBA teams retain their rights.

Source: hoopsrumors.com

Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Congrats to Justin! Your hard work has paid off.

https://www.nba.com/jazz/news/utah-jazz ... raft-picks

What role can Justin Wright-Foreman play?

“He can score at all three levels. He had to have a big load [in college]. As he transitions to the NBA, that’s not the role that’s going to be available to him early. If he can grow into that, great. But he can make shots. He can make open shots. He can create shots for himself. Anytime you can acquire those type of qualities—whether it’s a guard, wing, big— you want to go after them. … Every guy that comes into the league needs to work on things. They’re not fully formed players. It’s a role shift. How do you adapt? His open shot making, and quickness. He’s very secure with the ball in his hands. However Coach wants to use him, that’s a good start.”
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Justin is the 12th Hofstra player drafted into the NBA, and the second taken by the Jazz:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/6/21/me ... -jazz.aspx
dutchalum01

What's Next for JWF?

Post by dutchalum01 »

Here’s a question - does Portsmouth affect his draft status at all? It appears as though his agents definitely know what they’re doing. No Combine, no NCAA Tournament, no Portsmouth - no problem. Drafted. Good job #3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Jojogunne wrote:Congrats to Justin! Your hard work has paid off.

https://www.nba.com/jazz/news/utah-jazz ... raft-picks

What role can Justin Wright-Foreman play?

“He can score at all three levels. He had to have a big load [in college]. As he transitions to the NBA, that’s not the role that’s going to be available to him early. If he can grow into that, great. But he can make shots. He can make open shots. He can create shots for himself. Anytime you can acquire those type of qualities—whether it’s a guard, wing, big— you want to go after them. … Every guy that comes into the league needs to work on things. They’re not fully formed players. It’s a role shift. How do you adapt? His open shot making, and quickness. He’s very secure with the ball in his hands. However Coach wants to use him, that’s a good start.”
That is a great scouting report -
I absolutely remember seeing a Jazz scout at one of our games - I forget which one (thinking it was the W&M game) - and while leaving the Mack and my noticing that he was from the Jazz I said something "stupid" to him along the lines of "the Jazz better take him before someone else does" - the scout acted like he was paying me no mind (but I am sure the scout remembered what I said to him) but was banging the table last night for the Jazz to use my advice and take JFW - LOL
How about when the Jazz play NYK or the BN - Hofstra puts together a lil' something at the game for us JFW fans?