What's Next for JWF?

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
dutchalum01

Re: What's Next for JWF?

Post by dutchalum01 »

Wags wrote:
Hofstra wrote:Just saw that he did not get an invite to the NBA Draft Combine. Terrible decision to not invite him. I hope he can show scouts during his visits.
Here's the full combine list. JWF is great and absolutely deserves a bunch of serious looks from NBA teams. But this combine list is limited to 66 and it's a pretty good list of talent. So if you're adding JWF, who are you taking off that list? Maybe one of the high school kids? Maybe. But with all of the talent listed here, it was tough to find room for him. That's okay though, he's still getting his chance through his team workouts.

https://twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/11 ... 9193843712
Select Draft Eligible players from that group at the elite camp will be invited to participate in the combine. That will be Justin’s best opportunity to showcase his skills - if not selected, he will have to rely on team workouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Here's an article on JWF from Flo Sports, the new digital partner with the CAA (which I posted about in the CAA/Other Teams section).

https://twitter.com/FloHoops/status/1126924867490783233
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

A really positive and informative article Wags. Thanks for posting it.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Those workouts must have gone pretty well... ESPN's latest top 100 big board has JWF at 59th (!!), with him being projected as the last pick in the second round in their latest full mock draft...

http://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_ ... ig-lottery

Unless I'm mistaken, JWF wasn't even rated in their top 100 the last time around.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

At the g league camp he went 0-7 from the field in his first game but had 16 pts in a win in his last game.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

cactus wrote:At the g league camp he went 0-7 from the field in his first game but had 16 pts in a win in his last game.

I heard he was forced to play the 1 and had some ugly turnovers in game one. Did you see a stat line somewhere? My information came from a guy onsite. I’d like to look at the numbers if they’re posted somewhere.

cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

dutchalum01 wrote:
cactus wrote:At the g league camp he went 0-7 from the field in his first game but had 16 pts in a win in his last game.

I heard he was forced to play the 1 and had some ugly turnovers in game one. Did you see a stat line somewhere? My information came from a guy onsite. I’d like to look at the numbers if they’re posted somewhere.

2 assists 4 turnovers

https://twitter.com/pbsteeno/status/112 ... 04480?s=09

cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

JWF did not get a combine invite after his performance, along with guys like Syracuse's Tyus Battle, North Carolina's Luke Maye, and Campbell's Chris Clemons.

The 11 players who did were UCF's Tacko Fall, Florida State's Terance Mann, Miami's Dewan Hernandez, Syracuse's Oshae Brissett, Nevada's Cody Martin, Tulsa's DaQuan Jeffries, Auburn's Jared Harper, Iowa's Tyler Cook, Iowa State's Marial Shayok, Mississippi State's Reggie Perry and Ole Miss' Terence Davis.

link
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

cactus wrote:JWF did not get a combine invite after his performance, along with guys like Syracuse's Tyus Battle, North Carolina's Luke Maye, and Campbell's Chris Clemons.

The 11 players who did were UCF's Tacko Fall, Florida State's Terance Mann, Miami's Dewan Hernandez, Syracuse's Oshae Brissett, Nevada's Cody Martin, Tulsa's DaQuan Jeffries, Auburn's Jared Harper, Iowa's Tyler Cook, Iowa State's Marial Shayok, Mississippi State's Reggie Perry and Ole Miss' Terence Davis.

link
that first day hurt him. If he performed the way he did the second day, I’m certain he’d be at the combine now. He will get an invite to the g league ahead of the draft and should get some games in.

Polito

Post by Polito »

Really unfortunate - I know not all agree, but to me was foolish to not play in Portsmouth

And this is a case against trying to be something you're not, or coaches/handlers/advisors trying to force players into that - he's not a point, at all - he can pass sure, but he's not a good ball handler at all - I hated every time HU had him take the ball up the court, was a TO risk every time - I get at his size it would be better for his chances, BUT ONLY IF HE CAN ACTUALLY PLAY IT AT THAT LEVEL - and he can't at PG, wasn't and isn't that kind of player

Would rather he just rolled the dice, went all in on being an undersized 2, and focused on what he does best, scoring the friggin ball in superior fashion - I've had enough of guys trying to magically change their position during their Sr year to try and impress the NBA, instead of focusing on what attracted the scouts in the first place

Alas...
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

From the The Athletic - Michael Scott (5/17/2019)
with the
55 (pick). New York Knicks (Via Houston): Justin Wright-Foreman, Guard, 21, 6-2, 190, Hofstra
Madison Square Garden is a few Long Island Rail Road stops away from the Hofstra campus, and the team has been able to see the country’s second-highest scorer (27.1 points per game) in their backyard. Wright-Foreman has NBA 3-point range and can get his shot off the dribble with ease. At the pro level, executives want to see if he can transition into more of a point guard than a scoring guard.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

That would be a dream come true for Justin, no matter how dysfunctional the Knicks are. :)
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

He was listed as 1 of 20 players who worked out for the Celtics
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Really unfortunate - I know not all agree, but to me was foolish to not play in Portsmouth

And this is a case against trying to be something you're not, or coaches/handlers/advisors trying to force players into that - he's not a point, at all - he can pass sure, but he's not a good ball handler at all - I hated every time HU had him take the ball up the court, was a TO risk every time - I get at his size it would be better for his chances, BUT ONLY IF HE CAN ACTUALLY PLAY IT AT THAT LEVEL - and he can't at PG, wasn't and isn't that kind of player

Would rather he just rolled the dice, went all in on being an undersized 2, and focused on what he does best, scoring the friggin ball in superior fashion - I've had enough of guys trying to magically change their position during their Sr year to try and impress the NBA, instead of focusing on what attracted the scouts in the first place

Alas...
Mihalich always says, "Gotta dance with the girl you brought" about playing time and relying on players and lineups later in the season which propelled the team until that point in a given season.

This is where JWF should take that same advice and not try to reinvent himself, to expose weaknesses, and instead play to his strengths. He may be undersized at the 2, but he's far from, a one-dimensional scorer. He showed that off not only over his Hofstra career, but a lot in the 3x3 tourney, scoring in a variety of impressive ways. It's possible because of his size, he was asked to play the 1 when he didn't want to, so they could see how he could handle that. But then, he should try to tell them, "Guys, that's not me. But I can score like no other guard here. Let me show you that." Who knows if that would fly, but it's his best chance. Still though, it's not like he can't pass the ball and make some very nice looks on occasion. He did that too, at Hofstra. Just show flashes of that and mostly be the scorer he is.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_ ... ers-do-now requires you to pay. It has JWF as the last player drafted and going to Sacramento. http://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavail ... ovr/page/3 ranks him 59th. Both of them call him a PG, and think he's better than Jared Harper, who averaged 15.3 points (but didn't shoot well) and 5.8 assists for Auburn, who reached the Final Four.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I agree with Wags, he's not a PG and he should with his strengths, a scoring guard who can add instant offense off the bench with his three point shooting as well as his ability to score off the dribble.