Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Re: What's Next for JWF?

Post by HUSID74 »

Where's Polito????
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

So happy for Justin. What an amazing night for him and the entire Hofstra family.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I don't know how much time he will spend in Utah if he ends up in the G-League, but I saw a YouTube video of a unique place to go near Salt Lake City. It's called Evermore, and it's like a real-life version of a role-playing game. They had three seasonal themes and are only open some of the day. They are only open in the late afternoon and night, and the theme they had during Halloween seemed scary, but they did not give any warnings for kids. I use Twitter, but not Instagram. https://www.evermore.com/ is their website. Does anybody have a guess as to whether JWF would like it and if I should tweet it to him as a suggestion? Salt Lake City has suburbs with the same name as cities/towns upstate. North of Salt Lake City, there is Syracuse. South of Salt Lake City, there is Saratoga Springs. Both Saratoga Springs are near lakes.
Jojogunne wrote: Justin is the 12th Hofstra player drafted into the NBA, and the second taken by the Jazz:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/6/21/me ... -jazz.aspx
The Jazz join the Nets as teams that have drafted Hofstra players while playing in two places. I didn't know the Jazz used to be in New Orleans, and the Nets drafted Hofstra players while in New York and New Jersey. If the Brooklyn Nets draft somebody from Hofstra, that would be three places.

I'm thinking about games I've gone to with more than one player who got drafted. The only one I came up with was February 27, 2016 vs. Charleston with JWF and Brantley. I've been to 34 games against 21 opponents, and the only players I've seen who got drafted are JWF, Brantley, Jenkins, and Marcus Thornton, so this week doubled the amount from 2 to 4. If you count the NCAA Tournament, it goes up to 7 or 9. I saw Murray State's Ja Morant and Florida State's Mfiondu Kabengele and Terance Mann. I stayed until the first media timeout of the second game, and if you count that I saw Purdue's Carsen Edwards and Villanova's Eric Paschall.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I had the good fortune of going to a Tennessee-Florida basketball game in 2006 on our road trip with the softball team- first off, what an atmosphere. Second, despite Tennessee being so good back then, nobody was drafted. Florida, on the other hand, had Noah, Brewer, Horford, Green, and Richard all drafted.

https://utsports.com/news/2006/2/22/VOL ... ORIDA.aspx

Hofstra game I saw in person was up at Syracuse, when an unbeaten Hofstra team gave Cuse quite the scare, but Hakim Warrick was an absolute beast and Uter just couldn't keep up.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... =243650183

Warrick and Nichols were both drafted.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

EvanJ wrote:I don't know how much time he will spend in Utah if he ends up in the G-League, but I saw a YouTube video of a unique place to go near Salt Lake City. It's called Evermore, and it's like a real-life version of a role-playing game. They had three seasonal themes and are only open some of the day. They are only open in the late afternoon and night, and the theme they had during Halloween seemed scary, but they did not give any warnings for kids. I use Twitter, but not Instagram. https://www.evermore.com/ is their website. Does anybody have a guess as to whether JWF would like it and if I should tweet it to him as a suggestion? Salt Lake City has suburbs with the same name as cities/towns upstate. North of Salt Lake City, there is Syracuse. South of Salt Lake City, there is Saratoga Springs. Both Saratoga Springs are near lakes.
Jojogunne wrote: Justin is the 12th Hofstra player drafted into the NBA, and the second taken by the Jazz:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/6/21/me ... -jazz.aspx
The Jazz join the Nets as teams that have drafted Hofstra players while playing in two places. I didn't know the Jazz used to be in New Orleans, and the Nets drafted Hofstra players while in New York and New Jersey. If the Brooklyn Nets draft somebody from Hofstra, that would be three places.

I'm thinking about games I've gone to with more than one player who got drafted. The only one I came up with was February 27, 2016 vs. Charleston with JWF and Brantley. I've been to 34 games against 21 opponents, and the only players I've seen who got drafted are JWF, Brantley, Jenkins, and Marcus Thornton, so this week doubled the amount from 2 to 4. If you count the NCAA Tournament, it goes up to 7 or 9. I saw Murray State's Ja Morant and Florida State's Mfiondu Kabengele and Terance Mann. I stayed until the first media timeout of the second game, and if you count that I saw Purdue's Carsen Edwards and Villanova's Eric Paschall.
Most professional teams keep their name when they change cities, but "Jazz" never fit SLC. Maybe they should have rebranded themselves as the Great Salt Lakers (apologies to the equally ill-named LA Lakers, who in 1961 relocated from Minnesota, the "Land of 10,000 Lakes") or the SLC Salt Flats or even the SLC Mountain Bikers. :)
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

There's as much jazz in Utah as there are grizzly bears in New Orleans.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraHockey wrote:There's as much jazz in Utah as there are grizzly bears in New Orleans.
Or... Memphis. :)
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Where's Polito????
I guess I'm not alone HUSID but I thought we would have had a multitude of reactions to this monumental moment for both the HU basketball program and more importantly a great representative of the university JWF. Where is everyone???
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Where's Polito????
I guess I'm not alone HUSID but I thought we would have had a multitude of reactions to this monumental moment for both the HU basketball program and more importantly a great representative of the university JWF. Where is everyone???
I don't know, there have been a decent amount of posts by a variety of posters here, so it's not as if it's been silent. But, to your point, maybe we expected to hear from even more people on this.

As for Polito, I'll give him a break here. While he had other posts pretty much surmising that HU needed to make the NCAAT for JWF to get drafted, he also had this one, which to be honest, isn't off base with JWF going at 53:

"dance and he goes first round - falter like they did and his stock sinks... that's just kinda the way it works. BUT I do still believe he gets drafted. SO many scouts followed him, they know what he brings."
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Any chance the school eventually retires #3?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Oh yes but give it a few years
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Oh yes but give it a few years
100% chance No. 3 is retired. But I don't see why it should have to take so long, provided JWF and Hofstra can coordinate the schedules. Jenkins' number was retired on his Senior Day.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Wags wrote:I don't know, there have been a decent amount of posts by a variety of posters here, so it's not as if it's been silent. But, to your point, maybe we expected to hear from even more people on this.
I'm still here. Been very busy with work so have not posted much lately. But I am thrilled for Justin - it was well deserved.

I watched a good portion of the draft - and the only thing that could have made the evening better would have been if Justin was at the draft. But I guess if your are a "bubble" guy, or even close to it, being there and not being drafted would be tough to deal with. Bol Bol was supposed to be in the 10-20 pick range, and he ended up sitting there at a table with his family into the second round before he was picked. It all looked very awkward for him and of course, he did not look too happy.

Anyway, a wonderful evening for Justin, his family, and the HU program!
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Wags wrote:
stuball888 wrote:Oh yes but give it a few years
100% chance No. 3 is retired. But I don't see why it should have to take so long, provided JWF and Hofstra can coordinate the schedules. Jenkins' number was retired on his Senior Day.
Let's hope it's when the Jazz come to play Brooklyn or the Knicks, and not when Salt Lake comes to play at the Coliseum...
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Incredibly happy for JWF-- the guy deserves it.

Head on over to the Jazz Reddit page-- lots of interesting discussion around him and Brantley:
https://www.reddit.com/r/UtahJazz/

https://www.reddit.com/r/UtahJazz/comme ... t_foreman/

I'm excited to watch him in summer league-- it starts NEXT WEEK!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: A nice article about our boy!! https://thejnotes.com/2019/.../justin-w ... zz-draftee...
That says Utah has players who frequently get injured. On the Reddit page, a Chicago fan said JWF is good enough for the Bulls' bench, albeit they had the fourth worst record of 30 NBA teams.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I propose starting a new topic for his professional (hopefully NBA) career.