What's Next for JWF?

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: What's Next for JWF?

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:I propose starting a new topic for his professional (hopefully NBA) career.
Do it Evan that would be awesome!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hey hey folks, long time no speak! All is well, this time of year gets very busy for me, but all good :)

Some of you want me to be so wrong so badly it is quite comical to read lol - let's just go ahead and say it: I nailed it, 100% correct. Kills some of you, I love it :lol:

I did not like the decision to not play Portsmouth, and thought the 3-3 thing was a silly marketing ploy that did absolutely nothing to help his draft IMO, but none of that mattered much compared to his body of work that a dozen plus scouts watched for 2 years. IMO as you know I think it would've been even better (and higher than Brantley) if HU hadn't choked once again and actually put their POY in the NCAAT stage to showcase skills on the biggest stage. Alas...

Guys, I'm thrilled for JWF, kid is a tremendously hard worker, full of heart and hustle, and has repped HU to perfection - so proud, and happy for him and his family - God bless bud, I called this, and so excited for you to have your shot - now go ball out and earn that true roster spot!!

How funny for him and Brantley to be drafted to the same team, that's pretty cool.

All the best to him, he's got his shot - he's gonna have to overcome glaringly bad D and relatively weak PG skills against real talent this time, but I do believe this young fella can put the ball in the basket enough even against the best to show his worth. Let your freak flag fly, focus on that strength, ignore the rest, roll that dice, and let's see what happens - go JWF!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Chicago Bulls NBA Summer League Schedule:

Friday, July 8: Bulls vs. Mavericks, 4 pm EST (ESPNU)
Sunday, July 10: Bulls vs. Knicks, 5 pm EST (ESPN2)
Tuesday, July 12: Bulls vs. Raptors, 5 pm EST (NBATV)
Thursday, July 14: Bulls vs. Hornets, 5 pm EST (ESPN2)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Watching Knicks Bills Chicago is awful losing by 30 with the half almost over. I haven’t seen JWF??
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

That sucks, no run in a blowout?
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I recorded the game and FF through it. He did play (looked like with a 2nd string lineup). He was playing the point mostly.

He had 8 points in 12 minutes on 3-7 shooting (wearing #55) with a few TOs.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I missed him in the first half assuming he played in the first half.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wright-Foreman only played as part of a backup group that was -12 in 4 minutes in a game the bulls won by 10.
It does not seem like he's being put in a position to make any sort of impression.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

He didn't play in Chicago's win over the Hornets!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Never going anywhere as a PG, which I've said forever, but unfortunately at his size the desire is for him to be that for the league. Which if we are being frank, means he's either a league guy as a SG or he isn't - can't fake the PG funk in the NBA. This is the challenge of taking CG / SG and trying to force them into a PG role. It doesn't work.

Same beef I have with this idea for Estrada. He's nowhere near an actual high level PG. He's a CG all day long, and yes, there's a difference. And trying to make this magical change to somehow goof the system during his final year is a dumb idea to me. Just like it was for JWF. My bet is it will not work, and they shouldn't do it.

You are either a PG or you aren't. Be what you are, be the best you can at it, and let the chips fall where they may. It is a mountain to try to be a completely different position this late in the game so to speak. Same issue with trying to force Cramer into a center, regardless of whether he has some applicable skills - the player has to fit the position. Otherwise you'll be toiling around for years going nowhere like JWF is right now. If you are a SG, a wing guard, or whatever, BE THAT, no matter your size. I think players and PEOPLE should spend more time on their strengths than overspending time they don't have trying to address weaknesses, especially at a certain point. A key to success.

Nothing but love for JWF though, this isn't meant to be a knock - one of his biggest fans, and I'm pulling hard for him - I don't like the path that was forced as I've noted, I think he has tremendous ability even at that level, but I just don't see it at the 1 for him - hope he is able to let his freak flag fly as a scoring machine somewhere at a pro level, kid is a walking game takeover in the right situation.
Wags

Post by Wags »

JWF coming back home, or at least to the Westchester Knicks, after a trade. He may yet find himself in a Knick uniform playing at MSG. Knicks fans would love his kind of game off the bench.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Can this be real? JWF is a lot better than many of the stiffs pulling down big bucks in the NBA. Hope he gets his chance.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baske ... stchester/
Wags

Post by Wags »

I appreciate this message from him:
https://twitter.com/JayWright_3/status/ ... 8670329856

By the way, when is No. 3 going to hang in the Hofstra rafters already?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I definitely feel it belongs up there what an incredible player.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:I definitely feel it belongs up there what an incredible player.
I actually had thought they moved guys off #s 3,4,5 but didn't realize Farmer took #3. It's been a bit of a bad luck # since JWF. In my mind it shouldn't have been given out right away.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:I definitely feel it belongs up there what an incredible player.
I actually had thought they moved guys off #s 3,4,5 but didn't realize Farmer took #3. It's been a bit of a bad luck # since JWF. In my mind it shouldn't have been given out right away.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Absolutely agree cactus and they shouldn't have let anyone where that number even in practice it's just disrespectful.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Have to wonder if the antisemitic issue JWF had a couple years ago is hurting him (which he did apologize for) and its something Hofstra is just trying to distance from especially with some of the high profile anti-Semitism going on now. (not looking to debate if you feel it was actually anti-Semitism or not)
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraMathew wrote:Have to wonder if the antisemitic issue JWF had a couple years ago is hurting him (which he did apologize for) and its something Hofstra is just trying to distance from especially with some of the high profile anti-Semitism going on now. (not looking to debate if you feel it was actually anti-Semitism or not)
This thought crossed my mind when I asked above about his number being retired, and I wish he had used a little more care before (like many unfortunately do) retweeting support of something that he shouldn't have (in that case, comments from Nick Cannon). And to be clear, that's what it was, a retweet of someone else saying Cannon said nothing wrong, rather than a statement JWF made himself, etc. That doesn't make the support right, but it's a little different quickly retweeting support on something that as JWF admitted, he wasn't educated enough about, rather than if JWF had made the same comments himself that Cannon made.

As you said, JWF fully apologized for it. Hofstra MBB has also remained very supportive of Justin since that moment, so I don't think that's the reason his number hasn't been retired, but I do think it's long overdue to be hanging from the rafters. He also hasn't been around that much, playing with the Jazz and the G-League, etc., so simple logistics could be a big part of it, although he has shown up a few times at The Mack during Hofstra games. Hopefully, they'll be able to hang the jersey there soon. I think he learned from that retweet, I don't think he supports what Cannon said, and I think he deserves the number to be in The Mack rafters as soon as they can get it done.