NIT Thread

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

NIT Thread

Post by Jojogunne »

By this time tomorrow we should know who and where will will be playing. I thought I would start this thread to discuss the postseason.

Also, here is the link to that NIT page that Cards posted in one of the other threads. We are still a 6 seed, but I'm hoping for a home game:

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/

And here is a link to the official NIT page:

https://www.ncaa.com/championships/basketball-men/nit

Also, just spotted this article on the NIT site. It mentiones SBU, but not us:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... ournaments
Wags

Re: NIT Thread

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: Also, just spotted this article on the NIT site. It mentiones SBU, but not us:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... ournaments
It was posted on Tuesday, so maybe before the CAA final ended.

Odd though. Why not wait for more conference tourneys to complete to include more teams in the same type of category in this article?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Losses are very tough to swallow but the loss by Stony Brook to 7th seed Binghamton that won all of 10 games all year is a real embarrassment. Binghamton went on to compete against #1 seed Vermont and lose by 33 points! At least we lost to a very respectable team and talking about bad losses how about St John's losing to Marquette by over 30 points. Although to be fair Marquette a good team a little better then Binghampton.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The latest NIT bracketology has us as a 6 seed playing 3 seed Clemson. This is not your father's NIT where the gold old boys of NYC basketball doled out bids and home games to their cronies.

It's run by the NCAA now and it goes by the book...seedings, and home games determined by NET rankings.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Johnnie's IN

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

The NIT selection show is on ESPNU, from 8:30 pm - 9:00 pm ET.

This latest projection has it as (6) Hofstra at (3) Furman.
https://twitter.com/bracketproject/stat ... 7665227776
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Furman? Clemson? Just build Hofstra a satellite campus in South Carolina already.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Conspiracy has all mid majors playing so there won't be more than one in NY...just sayin
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

#7 at NC State - Keatts again!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:#7 at NC State - Keatts again!
Yup, and playing a team that scored fewer points in a game than JWF scored in one half on multiple occasions this year.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

As far as the new rules I like the shot clock being 20 after an offensive rebound but fouls will reset at the 10:00 mark, no more 1 and 1s, what?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ok, so now we know, NC State!

So, I actually really like this opponent - nice big name, but not a super power - did not want Clemson, I think they are too strong - I don't love facing Keatts though - he knows exactly how to take care of JM, and did so repeatedly in the CAA. BUT not by much.

This is a very good matchup IMO, prob the best HU could ask for really - easy travel, they are not real deep, no big superstars, a long younger than HU, this is a very beatable opponent. This will all come down to whether HU or NC State are disinterested in being there / bummed out being in the NIT. Hopefully they are totally blah about it as well as their fans lol.

If HU comes to play, big IF, they can take this game.

And I agree 100% HUSID, pitiful what's going on - that first bracket is 4 mids going against each other - ridiculous - and so obvious lol - let's blow their friggin world up!

Gonna be a tough go though, there are some very good teams in the NIT that just missed the dance - I know, every year, but in particular some very tough MIDS that got knocked out in their conf tourney
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Terrible matchup for Hofstra. 7 seed is not right.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Sctvman

Post by Sctvman »

Game on ESPN2 Tuesday at 7.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I like the game. Maybe we deserved a higher seed, but I like the short flight to Raleigh, and it looked like the field was put together with travel considerations in mind, at least for the conference champs. If we were to advance, we have a trip to DC or Boston.

NC State is considerably better than us, but they're not big, we have a shot if we don't turn the ball over. Let's get back to the Garden!!

NC State might be disinterested, their AD just published a statement complaining about being left out of the field. Hopefully they decide to protest on Tuesday.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The good...big name, not a great team, we know the coach and we're on ESPN2...bad...a 7 seed? Come on!
Polito

Post by Polito »

LOL, hey where are all the "the CAA is awesome!" people?? I thought this conf was so tough that it gave us great seeding when we make the post-season?

Pretty sure that's you Wags :P ;)

Breaking chops here. I agree 100%, the fact that this team won the CAA regular title, lost in the champ game, and set the school record for wins couldn't even host a game and that got slapped a 7 seed in the 2nd tier tourney is pitiful guys.

I'm not knocking HU here, I'm knocking this over-ego'd conf. And the CAA commissioner who is NOWHERE IN SIGHT.

I really can't stand this conf. Sure that's clear lol. And no I have no better option, not the point - this is HU's conf for better or worse, I get it. :roll:

I disagree though cactus, I think this is about the best big name matchup HU could ask for. NC State is 100% beatable, much younger than HU, not a star among them, neither an offensive nor defensive juggxrnaught, seemingly a team that hasn't really gelled to themselves or Keatts yet.

Zero excuse here, this is a good matchup to get a W IMO. Only downside is Keatts knowing how to take to JM - but this is a game I think HU can win IF they come with swag and come to play. Let's catch these guys sleeping.

I'm extremely cautious saying this of course - zero pedigree for HU to actually pull the win. I bought in and got burned once again. They need to prove it now.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:LOL, hey where are all the "the CAA is awesome!" people?? I thought this conf was so tough that it gave us great seeding when we make the post-season?

Breaking chops here. I agree 100%, the fact that this team won the CAA regular title, lost in the champ game, and set the school record for wins couldn't even host a game and that got slapped a 7 seed in the 2nd tier tourney is pitiful guys.

I'm not knocking HU here, I'm knocking this over-ego'd conf. And the CAA commissioner who is NOWHERE IN SIGHT.

I really can't stand this conf. Sure that's clear lol. And no I have no better option, not the point - this is HU's conf for better or worse, I get it. :roll:
The argument was always the CAA vs. staying in the America East.

Um, anyone see any America East teams in the NIT this year? Maybe second-place Stony Brook, going 24-8? No? Uh, how about third-place UMBC, off of last year's shocker over Virginia, with 21 wins this year? Hmm, no again? Anyone else from the America East in the NIT? No? Okay, then. Be glad the CAA at least has Hofstra in the NIT instead of whatever other garbage tourney you, yourself, and others here have complained about Hofstra playing in - because that's where Stony Brook, the America East's "mighty two seed" is headed, IF they're lucky.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Polito wrote:Only downside is Keatts knowing how to take to JM
That's why it's a terrible matchup.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
zebrapoodle23

Post by zebrapoodle23 »

Wags wrote:
Polito wrote:LOL, hey where are all the "the CAA is awesome!" people?? I thought this conf was so tough that it gave us great seeding when we make the post-season?

The argument was always the CAA vs. staying in the America East.

Um, anyone see any America East teams in the NIT this year? Maybe second-place Stony Brook, going 24-8? No? Uh, how about third-place UMBC, off of last year's shocker over Virginia, with 21 wins this year? Hmm, no again? Anyone else from the America East in the NIT? No? Okay, then. Be glad the CAA at least has Hofstra in the NIT instead of whatever other garbage tourney you, yourself, and others here have complained about Hofstra playing in - because that's where Stony Brook, the America East's "mighty two seed" is headed, IF they're lucky.
For the most part in the post-VCU/Mason/ODU CAA the AE and CAA have been pretty even. JMU was in the First Four in 2013 when Albany was a 15 seed. Albany and Northeastern were both 14 seeds in 2015, Stony Brook and UNCW were 13 seeds in 2016, UNCW was a 12 and UVM was a 13 in 2017.

And we got the NIT autobid because we were regular season conference champions. This would hold true had we won the America East regular season and lost in the conference tournament too. No CAA teams would have received a bid had we won our conference tournament.