MBB Game 29 vs. James Madison on February 23 4:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

MBB Game 29 vs. James Madison on February 23 4:00 P.M.

Post by EvanJ »

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/2/22/me ... r-day.aspx is Hofstra's preview titled "MBB: Hofstra Hosts James Madison On Senior Day."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... game29.pdf is Hofstra's Game Notes. Possible milestones are:

1. JWF tying Noah Dahlman for the tenth logest double-digit scoring streak at 82 games.

2. JWF passing Bernardi for second in three-pointers. JWF is 2 behind Bernardi and 103 behind Agudio.

3. JWF passing Stokes for fourth in points. JWF is 31 behind.

4. Pemberton passing Adeleke for 17th in points. Pemberton is 4 behind. Passing Adeleke would make Pemberton have the fifth most points for Hofstra in the CAA behind Jenkins, Agudio, Stokes, and JWF.
HUSID74

Re: MBB Game 29 vs. James Madison on February 23 4:00 P.M.

Post by HUSID74 »

Evan, do we clinch first place with a win tomorrow?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Yes. We would clinch at least a tie for first with the tiebreaker won. If Northeastern loses hosting Towson, we clinch the 1 seed before playing and could clinch sole first by winning.

https://jmusports.com/news/2019/2/22/me ... aders.aspx is James Madison's preview titled "Dukes Close Road Slate at League Leaders."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... ofstra.pdf is James Madison's Game Notes. They have our coach as Bill Coen that wasn't changed from their previous game. The record at Hofstra is correct.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Guards:
Stuckey Mosley (17.3), Matt Lewis (15.3), and Darius Banks (12.4) are their top three scorers. Deshon Parker is their fourth starting guard and averages 5.8. Rather than one point guard, Parker, Lewis, and Mosley all average between 2 and 3 assists. Parker leads them at 2.93 assists and a great assist/turnover of 2.65. Lewis has one fewer assist than Parker, but 2.48 times as many turnovers as Parker. Banks has a poor assist/turnover ratio for a guard, but his 1.7 steals are second to Buie. Mosley attempts a lot of threes and shoots them .379, but doesn't shoot twos well, so his field goal percentage is .406. Lewis shoots worse with a field goal percentage of .376 and shoots threes .299. Banks shoots threes .478, which is better than he shoots twos, but he only attempts 2.48 threes. He's their second leading rebounder at 4.9. Parker also shoots threes better than twos, but he shoots worse than Banks at .409 field goals and .414 threes. He shoots free throws only .638. Other than him and Phillips (see below), all of their players with a significant amount of free throw attempts shoot from .731 to .795. Not that we should be losing and have to foul to try coming back, but if we have to foul and their starters are all playing, we should foul Parker, and if we can't foul him it's not a big difference between the other four.

Forwards:
Dwight Wilson is their only starting forward, but their three most used bench players are forwards Develle Phillips, Zach Jacobs, and Greg Jones. They combine to average 1.61 forwards on the court at a time. Wilson shoots .571, shoots free throws .778, and is ninth in the CAA at 7.6 rebounds. Jacobs has blocked 25 shots in 26 games, but he doesn't shoot well. Over a quarter of his attempts are threes, and he shoots them .174. Jones doesn't shoot threes well but shoots twos better than Wilson. Phillips leads them in field goal percentage at .581 but shoots free throws .370. He's a senior who is playing less than last season. Last season he averaged 8.8 points, 6.3 rebounds, and 23.0 minutes. This season he's averaging 3.9 points, 3.1 rebounds, and 13.7 minutes. Last season he was their most used forward, and this season he's their fourth most used forward. All four forwards were on their team last season, and Wilson went from fourth most used forward to most used forward. Wilson hasn't attempted a three, and Phillips attempted and missed 1. Jones, who averages 15.0 minutes, and Phillips, who averages 13.7, have 4 foul outs each, which is as many as our whole team. JMU commited 23 percent more fouls than us in the same amount of games.

They have more assists than turnovers. Relative to the average for each type of shot, they shoot threes better than twos, but the percent of their attempts that are threes is lower than the NCAA average last season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Would love to see this team come out and play with great energy, dialed-in, and fully in control from the start. Will feel a lot better about exactly how mission-minded focused they are, and just how ready they are for the upcoming tourney challenge. About that time to start kicking this thing into another gear.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Getting emotional seeing #3 here for what could be the last time. Guy went from a bench warner to a legend. I also can’t be the only one who thinks it’s ridiculous that the shirts are only for students, the school really couldn’t afford some more t-shirt for the rest of the crowd who bleeds blue and gold?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:Getting emotional seeing #3 here for what could be the last time. Guy went from a bench warner to a legend. I also can’t be the only one who thinks it’s ridiculous that the shirts are only for students, the school really couldn’t afford some more t-shirt for the rest of the crowd who bleeds blue and gold?
Was told there should be extras by halftime, if you want. They have plenty.
Wags

Post by Wags »

17-4 run for JMU after trailing 9-4.
Wags

Post by Wags »

"We want football!" chants from the Lion's Den during the third media timeout.

Love it. Hope Rabinowitz heard it.
Wags

Post by Wags »

This is a bad trend of late, ever since the Elon game at home. I think that game was bad for them. Everything came too easy for them in that game, and ever since then, other teams that aren't as good have been playing harder than Hofstra, looking like they've wanted it more. Not always, but in too many stretches in those games. And it's happening again today, even after a good start energy wise. They have to correct this ASAP.

And once again, they are going as Coburn goes. When he plays well, they play well. When he does nothing and can't get involved in the game, they struggle. That's happening again today, too.
RIP_HOFUSA

Post by RIP_HOFUSA »

Kind of sad for the student section today as a student. Was basically told to sit down after trying to stand up. Usually it isn’t this bad but just a lot of people came for the shirts and don’t know how to enjoy a game. Really sucks. I’ve been here three years and I just don’t know how to get the energy back. I love how many students are here but we don’t have hardly any dedicated fans. I’ve never really gotten a true student section experience. Ah well.
Wags

Post by Wags »

RIP_HOFUSA wrote:Kind of sad for the student section today as a student. Was basically told to sit down after trying to stand up. Usually it isn’t this bad but just a lot of people came for the shirts and don’t know how to enjoy a game. Really sucks. I’ve been here three years and I just don’t know how to get the energy back. I love how many students are here but we don’t have hardly any dedicated fans. I’ve never really gotten a true student section experience. Ah well.
Lead 'em. Get them going!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote: And once again, they are going as Coburn goes. When he plays well, they play well. When he does nothing and can't get involved in the game, they struggle. That's happening again today, too.
Coburn with two 3s to start the half and now with 11 of HU's first 17 pts of the second half, and it's a 17-4 run and a 5-point lead suddenly.

Again... COBURN. IS. THE. KEY. ON. THIS. TEAM.
RIP_HOFUSA

Post by RIP_HOFUSA »

Once they started hurling curses at me, I decided some things aren’t worth it. Maybe I’m not the truest fan ever hahaha
Wags

Post by Wags »

RIP_HOFUSA wrote:Once they started hurling curses at me, I decided some things aren’t worth it. Maybe I’m not the truest fan ever hahaha
Wow, why? What's their problem? I'm sitting near them. They seem fine to me. Maybe you need to come down with the ones in the front. They seem better.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Well - I guess they peaked early and are limping down the stretch. Terrible time to start playing this way. They look like they have lost confidence and the ball movement is non-existent (as is the defense). This is a trend now - they just don’t look like the same team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
garyg

Post by garyg »

I do not want to hear that we are tired and a bit beat up...350 other D1 teams can say the same thing...
Polito

Post by Polito »

Loss for words. Think I’ll let the rest of you take this one. Heart breaks for JWF and the entire Sr group. Forget red flags, this is a 5 alarm fire folks, with no water in sight.

Guessing A) tired legs, and B) bad officiating in 3...2...1...
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

That one hurt, we are what we are.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

I hope coach realizes how ridiculous it is to start Dwyer and Wormley since it’s senior day, is Connor gonna start on senior day next year? Gimme a break. But it came down to this, ‪how we could’ve not fouled at the end of regulation was almost unfathomable. JT was gone, there was only 3.8 or so left, they were inbounding under their own basket and Lewis was hitting shots from the parking lot. HAVE to put them on the line there. No if ans or buts. ‬Chance to win goes from about 77% to better than 95. And you don’t even have to worry about in the act of shooting as they were inbounding under their own basket. Either we get a surprise road win or it’s the 2 seed. Can’t count on NE losing. Heartbreaking.