2022-23 FDF Hofstra Athletics Fundraiser

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

2022-23 FDF Hofstra Athletics Fundraiser

Post by Polito »

Giving Link: https://www.hofstra.edu/athletics/ath-giving.html
---------
Pledges:
Cactus: MBB home opener vs Iona: $1 per Hofstra point scored + $100 for Hofstra win + $10 per margin of victory point if Hofstra wins
Polito: Season opener win : $50
Polito: $50 for beating St. Mary's + $1 per margin of victory point if Hofstra wins
Triplec2195: $100 for next win
Polito: $50 for Canada tournament sweep
HofstraMathew: vs. GMU, Purdue, UMass and South Florida - $25 for one win, $50 for two wins, $100 for three wins and $175 for four wins, + $10 to any of those wins if hofstra wins by more than 10 points

---------
Amounts Due:

Cactus: $233 PAID
Polito: $150 (includes extra donation) PAID
Triplec2195 $100 PAID

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Credit to Polito for the idea. His original post is below:

Ok, so not my original idea at all, I'm bringing this over from some of the Hokie boards I frequent - it's a big success every time, is really cool, and is definitely something we can do here.

The idea is simple: the fans create their own fundraising event around cool and exciting stuff. So for example, when HU announced their home opener vs Iona, that could've been a chance to leverage excitement for 'donation day'. When a key recruit is landed, something similar. We can leverage this board as a promotional vehicle to help drive the efforts.

In season, the individual fans will make various pledges on the board for certain things for games. For example, the season opener, someone might pledge the following: $1 for every point, $50 for a win, $100 for a win by 20+ points, $25 if Estrada scores 25+, or $75 if a player hits a double-double, $10 if 5 players hit double figs, $75 if no one fouls out, etc etc etc - you probably get the drift. It can be as little or as big as the individual is comfortable with, and as many or as few criteria as desired - any and all count, and therefore everyone can participate.

Each person playing makes their post in a specific thread, it kinda naturally promotes to others to follow suit, and then honor system the fans follow through on their donations for whatever criteria was hit. The board mods can help to keep track to showcase the amount raised (if hopefully enough do it!).

I've seen quite a bit raised just from fans having fun with things like this, and frankly every dollar helps. No amount too small in this new age of college athletics. I've been feeling the desire to give back, and thought this might be a cool way to unify this group and encourage us all to do something fun as a group.

Thoughts?? Anyone down to give something like this a whirl this hoops season?
HofstraPride1

Re: Fundraising Idea Proposal for All - Board Mods Pls Read

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I love it! We def need outside the box ideas like this to thrive in new era of college athletics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Lacrosse has a similar program. Pledge to donate $100 for every win
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks HP1! I think it's pretty awesome, and it has seen a lot of success in the fanbase. Yep, quite similar HUSID, just that this is entirely fan driven, which I think is a cool and different approach.

Mods, would you all be open to giving this a try? I.E. starting the thread, keeping tabs on the folks participating, totaling the amount, promoting, etc? I'm happy to assist in some of that of course as just a poster participating and encouraging others...
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

If we are just going to tally up and have people donate directly to the school just use this thread and as people make pledges with subsequent posts, edit them into the first post to have a master list.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks cactus, yep exactly what I had in mind, keep it simple and easy - perfect - let’s have some fun with this!
cactus
Site Admin

Re: 2022-23 FDF Hofstra Athletics Fundraiser

Post by cactus »

I've updated the topic and added my pledge for the home opener.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Fantastic, this is great, thank you cactus - and love that you are first on the board - good stuff

I will throw my pledges in here soon as well - season is approaching fast!

I presume we all just reply here and then you update the parent thread?
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Polito wrote:Fantastic, this is great, thank you cactus - and love that you are first on the board - good stuff

I will throw my pledges in here soon as well - season is approaching fast!

I presume we all just reply here and then you update the parent thread?
correct, once pledges are made in replies to this thread, you or I can update the summary listing in the first post
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Hey all - with season starting today, do we have any more people interested in donating?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks for promoting cactus!

Apologies for my mia, have had lots of dental stuff the last few weeks, on top of traveling - I won’t be able to catch the game tonight, will be on a plane, but I am definitely in!

Let’s kick this off guys, jump in, no amount too small, have some fun with it.

Not sure exactly what to expect yet, and obviously not much to go on, so I’ll keep it light to start - all I’m looking for game 1 is a win:

$50 for a season opener win.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

OK that's one in the books - anyone else?
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Let's not make this whole thing just Polito tricking me into donating more money to the program :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Polito

Post by Polito »

LOLOL promise I’m in - I owe $100 so far (right?)

Cmon board - this is sad guys - I mean do a couple of dollars for goodness sake, this is for everyone - can’t make it any easier or fun - make up your own thing for it, I mean let’s go

HUSID?? Stu?? Tc?? Cmon you diehards I’m calling you out - yeah yeah I know the economy, buy one less coffee each week lol - everyone has a couple of dollars, and some have a lot more - I’m breaking chops a bit, I mean if you REALLY can’t it’s cool no worries - but guarantee that number of people here is VERY small.

No reason for this board to be DEAD for this - college sports is a money game - we can hate that all we want but these teams need to raise it to compete in the landscape - and just buying tickets doesn’t do it, sorry to say

This is now the new norm - let’s PARTICIPATE!! Especially for big games!!

I’m down for $50 for this win, and another $1 for every point they beat them by.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

OK I'm already in being a member of the pride club but will donate a hundred dollars for our next win. Cactus let me know how the money gets to the school. Is VENMO in play or just a credit card??
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:OK I'm already in being a member of the pride club but will donate a hundred dollars for our next win. Cactus let me know how the money gets to the school. Is VENMO in play or just a credit card??
Thanks for the donation!

So there's no money passing through different hands possibly creating tax/liability issues we are just donating directly to the school using the link at the top of the first post. You can direct it to mens basketball when you fill out the form.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:OK I'm already in being a member of the pride club but will donate a hundred dollars for our next win. Cactus let me know how the money gets to the school. Is VENMO in play or just a credit card??
Thanks for the donation!

So there's no money passing through different hands possibly creating tax/liability issues we are just donating directly to the school using the link at the top of the first post. You can direct it to mens basketball when you fill out the form.
OK that was going to be my next question whether it was earmarked for a specific sport. Great!! TY
Polito

Post by Polito »

YES TC, that’s what I’m talking about - you’re a mans man 8-)

Way to step up to the plate! Let’s go guys, where are the rest of you??

I’ll do another $50 if they win all 3 of this Canada weekend.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:YES TC, that’s what I’m talking about - you’re a mans man 8-)

Way to step up to the plate! Let’s go guys, where are the rest of you??

I’ll do another $50 if they win all 3 of this Canada weekend.
No problem Polito but remember there's no early mutiny on the Bounty here no jumping ship after 6 games. This is a marathon not a sprint and we need to stay the course.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Made my $100 donation as promised this morning. Hope to see some life long basketball fans do the same.