2022-23 FDF Hofstra Athletics Fundraiser

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraMathew

Re: 2022-23 FDF Hofstra Athletics Fundraiser

Post by HofstraMathew »

Polito wrote:LOLOL promise I’m in - I owe $100 so far (right?)

Cmon board - this is sad guys - I mean do a couple of dollars for goodness sake, this is for everyone - can’t make it any easier or fun - make up your own thing for it, I mean let’s go

HUSID?? Stu?? Tc?? Cmon you diehards I’m calling you out - yeah yeah I know the economy, buy one less coffee each week lol - everyone has a couple of dollars, and some have a lot more - I’m breaking chops a bit, I mean if you REALLY can’t it’s cool no worries - but guarantee that number of people here is VERY small.

No reason for this board to be DEAD for this - college sports is a money game - we can hate that all we want but these teams need to raise it to compete in the landscape - and just buying tickets doesn’t do it, sorry to say

This is now the new norm - let’s PARTICIPATE!! Especially for big games!!

I’m down for $50 for this win, and another $1 for every point they beat them by.
I am already into the pride a club around a grand with my annual donation plus my 3 season tickets. So I'll add something small here. Also think we are still waiting on you Polito to complete your pledge from game 1.

Over the next 4 game stretch vs GMU, Purdue, UMass and South Florida I will do $25 for one win, $50 for two wins, $100 for three wins and $175 for four wins. I will add an extra $10 to any of those wins if we win a game by more than 10 points.

I will probably think up something to do for conference play also.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Awesome HM.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Here ya go all, upped it to $150. Added the extra $50 for putting together a great schedule and being willing to play legit programs.
HU Donation.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Way to go now you're walking the walk Polito.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Of course. This was never going to be a scenario where I didn't honor my commitment and follow through. And I surpassed it. Would be nice if HU hoops did that for a change.

But that's it for the foreseeable future. I am done with this program for awhile. I've lost confidence that HU is ever going to be anything more than it's always been. I've lost faith in Speedy and this staff to elevate it. I've lost the joy in following and rooting on. They've lost me, for now.

And therefore I am bringing nothing positive to the board. Out of respect for all here, I will continue to stay distant. Would rather put my time energy and money to things that will honor it instead of squander it. And you all will surely be better off w/out my negativity. Not fair to you.

I'll follow scores from afar. Want nothing but the best for HU, and I would be thrilled to be wrong. But after a promising early start, I see yet another 3rd to 4th place finish with no dance on the horizon. I see a one dimensional one player team that has underwhelming O, no post, and lacking D. Again. Someone else lives up to or outperforms expectations and makes their name while HU sits at home. Rinse and repeat.

Have a wonderful holidays fellow HU brethren - stay safe and healthy, and enjoy your family and friends 8-)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:Of course. This was never going to be a scenario where I didn't honor my commitment and follow through. And I surpassed it. Would be nice if HU hoops did that for a change.

But that's it for the foreseeable future. I am done with this program for awhile. I've lost confidence that HU is ever going to be anything more than it's always been. I've lost faith in Speedy and this staff to elevate it. I've lost the joy in following and rooting on. They've lost me, for now.

And therefore I am bringing nothing positive to the board. Out of respect for all here, I will continue to stay distant. Would rather put my time energy and money to things that will honor it instead of squander it. And you all will surely be better off w/out my negativity. Not fair to you.

I'll follow scores from afar. Want nothing but the best for HU, and I would be thrilled to be wrong. But after a promising early start, I see yet another 3rd to 4th place finish with no dance on the horizon. I see a one dimensional one player team that has underwhelming O, no post, and lacking D. Again. Someone else lives up to or outperforms expectations and makes their name while HU sits at home. Rinse and repeat.

Have a wonderful holidays fellow HU brethren - stay safe and healthy, and enjoy your family and friends 8-)
Polito this is one of your best posts ever putting your feelings out there in a very honest and sincere manner. You're no different then most of us who have to constantly face disappointment with this team over the years and stress because of our commitment to our Alma Mater. I feel the same way watching my football and baseball teams. Watching that game at Barclay's yesterday and traveling from Long Island walking in the rain etc. only to be embarrassed by the way they played in the second half made me want to rethink not watching it on TV where I could have changed the channel when I'd seen enough. So we have to take the good with the bad and just distance ourselves when it becomes to personal. Still feel optimistic about the team but temper expectations until Estrada is back. Happy Holidays to you as well!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Polito wrote:LOLOL promise I’m in - I owe $100 so far (right?)

Cmon board - this is sad guys - I mean do a couple of dollars for goodness sake, this is for everyone - can’t make it any easier or fun - make up your own thing for it, I mean let’s go

HUSID?? Stu?? Tc?? Cmon you diehards I’m calling you out - yeah yeah I know the economy, buy one less coffee each week lol - everyone has a couple of dollars, and some have a lot more - I’m breaking chops a bit, I mean if you REALLY can’t it’s cool no worries - but guarantee that number of people here is VERY small.

No reason for this board to be DEAD for this - college sports is a money game - we can hate that all we want but these teams need to raise it to compete in the landscape - and just buying tickets doesn’t do it, sorry to say

This is now the new norm - let’s PARTICIPATE!! Especially for big games!!

I’m down for $50 for this win, and another $1 for every point they beat them by.
I am already into the pride a club around a grand with my annual donation plus my 3 season tickets. So I'll add something small here. Also think we are still waiting on you Polito to complete your pledge from game 1.

Over the next 4 game stretch vs GMU, Purdue, UMass and South Florida I will do $25 for one win, $50 for two wins, $100 for three wins and $175 for four wins. I will add an extra $10 to any of those wins if we win a game by more than 10 points.

I will probably think up something to do for conference play also.
https://imgur.com/BSW6nGz

No idea how to post an image but just used imgur. Obviously my commitment was $0 since we didn't win in the stretch I pledged. (Also lost a few bucks betting on Hofstra during that stretch to). Anyway based on the past few wins I figured I'll make a donation since this thread did die down a bit. So here is a $100 donation to the pride club earmarked for the basketball program.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Awesome H.M.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Very cool
FYI for all - day of giving is the 7th, below is the link:

https://www.givecampus.com/schools/Hofs ... ?a=6212647
Polito

Post by Polito »

HM, you sir are a DUDE. Major PROPS to you for standing in the gap.

This board should have been all over the upset road win over a top 25 team - that's when a giving run is exciting and well-earned. That's what something like this thread is all about, taking advantage of exciting milestones to help the future of the program.

Despite my frustrations, that was a major feather in the programs cap, and has catapulted them to the top of the standings for right now. I will also add to my giving specifically for that W. I am traveling nearly weekly these days, so you know it may take me a minute to do so, but those are the kinds of things that I think are deserving of some extra support.

The next big one? Win the CAA regular season. If they take the crown ALL should throw a few extra bucks in.

The next one after that? The biggest one of all, win the CAAT. If they dance, ALL should throw a few extra bucks in.

Then my 'donation' after that will be attending the NCAAT in person - I truly HOPE that is what I will have to do!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Guys, I have been quiet on this thread as I have been a pretty substantial donor to the program over the years as well as being a longtime season ticket holder.
We are in the midst of a huge change in basketball (as well as football) with the NIL...Hofstra basketball must raise significant dollars for the NIL...for example I hear we stand at about $50,000 in the bank vs. a Charleston which has some $500,000 banked.
Complicating matters is there are no tax deuctions for NIL contributions vs. program contributions.
A real dilemma.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID80 wrote:Guys, I have been quiet on this thread as I have been a pretty substantial donor to the program over the years as well as being a longtime season ticket holder.
We are in the midst of a huge change in basketball (as well as football) with the NIL...Hofstra basketball must raise significant dollars for the NIL...for example I hear we stand at about $50,000 in the bank vs. a Charleston which has some $500,000 banked.
Complicating matters is there are no tax deuctions for NIL contributions vs. program contributions.
A real dilemma.
Have you heard anything about a donor affiliated with Hofstra launching a collective? Or is it going to fall more on the local businesses and businesses of the donors to fund the NIL deals?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Can money be put into the general fund and then allocated to the NIL after all this is what our politicians do with the campaign funds
Polito

Post by Polito »

Just bumping this thread up...

Winning the CAA was the next big milestone, and they achieved it. The most important is cutting nets. Will see what transpires here, and then come through on my word as always and help to fuel what I started with another donation to match the results.

Guys, this isn't just for laughs. NIL is changing the entire landscape. You can hate it or refuse to "participate" in it all you want, that isn't going to work nor is it going to change anything. All that will do is put HU further behind.

Is all this already out of control and likely a detriment more than a help? You bet it is lol - it's awful and only going to get worse. Welcome to the NCAA.

This program needs every single penny from every single source to continue to produce at the highest level. And no, I'm sorry to say, your game attendance or season tickets or Pride Club membership isn't "enough". Trust me, I think this all suuuuuuucks. I don't like it one bit, I think it's being done completely wrong.

And I mean zero offense here, truly, I'm not knocking anything that anyone has or is already doing. And I get it, throwing out more dough in this economy isn't exactly easy for all to do. I'm just encouraging you that this stuff is absolutely needed and it absolutely makes a difference collectively. We may not make a splash as one, but we certainly help move the dial as a unified group.

IF it is something you can financially manage at this time, please do so. They need it. And you / we do make a difference.