MBB Game 25 vs W&M on February 9, 2019 - Sold out

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraMathew

MBB Game 25 vs W&M on February 9, 2019 - Sold out

Post by HofstraMathew »

I know we still have a game before this one but figured I'd start this thread to post this article that the game has been sold out.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/2/1/men ... d-out.aspx

Another great marketing blitz by the people behind the scenes.
joeg1

Re: MBB Game 25 vs W&M on February 9, 2019 - Sold out

Post by joeg1 »

This is great, but absolutely cannot look past Elon.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

How many tix have been sold for Elon? Hope this team gets a strong crowd for that game as well.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

There are also fewer seats now that they took down one of the upper corners for that kids play area. Surprised they don’t put it back in for this game but they say they wont. And of course you can still buy tickets on stubhub, they’re going for around $20.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Lets not get caught up looking too far ahead. This is great news but as joeg said our focus is on Elon. They gave us a tough game on the road now its time to stick it to them.Coming off the NE loss we should be mighty hungry for a big time win.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hope we have recruits visiting on Feb. 9th with the expected sellout !!!!!!!
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:There are also fewer seats now that they took down one of the upper corners for that kids play area. Surprised they don’t put it back in for this game but they say they wont. And of course you can still buy tickets on stubhub, they’re going for around $20.
I can see why they wouldn't. A lot of people going are either going for the first time, or the first time in a long time. Let them see what a game day is like, with these initiatives, and get them coming back.
hualum

Post by hualum »

when was last sellout??? Jenkins last game?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

hualum wrote:when was last sellout??? Jenkins last game?
The season opener this year.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Don't get me wrong, I hope the Mack is packed, but I think calling it a sellout is a little misleading. With todays method of buying tickets for events, the originating seller can sell thier available tickets to resellers who potentially end up getting stuck with them - hence, some seats have no one in them. For instance, places like Stubhub and VividSeats are showing good seats still available for Saturday. And I don't think these are simply someone who has a ticket or two and can't make it to the game. These sites show availability like 8 tickets in a row in premier seating still available.

All in all, its good that HU gets revenue for all the seats. Hopefully these available tickets get resold, or if not, there are not many that are unused.

First things first, though, beat Elon!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Agreed Elon first 18.5 point favorites lets see how much we actually win by. IDK how they define a sellout. The first game I think we had 4,500 people here clearly not a sellout but let it suffice to say there's going to be a lot of people here and that's a huge plus.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Agreed BEAT ELON! There are also student seats available....the opener was listed as a sellout but if you looked at the upper corners of the Mack there were plenty of seats left...Charles' last season there were TWO LEGIT sellouts.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Agreed BEAT ELON! There are also student seats available....the opener was listed as a sellout but if you looked at the upper corners of the Mack there were plenty of seats left...Charles' last season there were TWO LEGIT sellouts.
Yes big crowds during Charles tenure especially his senior year and the chants NBA, NBA!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: The first game I think we had 4,500 people here clearly not a sellout but let it suffice to say there's going to be a lot of people here and that's a huge plus.
The first game had 4,645, which would not have been a sellout before, but with areas for kids added, Hofstra lists capacity at 4,645. For any game, there could be unused tickets. Teams make money from unused tickets, albeit not as much as if fans bought food, merchandise, and/or parking (free for Hofstra but not for pro teams). Jenkins's last and fourth-to-last home games had 5,050. I can't find Game Notes of the capacity from then, but the capacity last season was 5,052, so it was equal or close to that in 2010-2011. We averaged 3,073 in 2010-2011, which is our second highest average since 1998-1999 behind 3,623 in 2006-2007. In 2006-2007, Stokes, Agudio, and Rivera, returned, but a weak frontcourt made us a good but not elite team. That was the only time we were picked first in the CAA. We lost at Delaware, who was last in the CAA standings at 3-15. We're at 1,720 now, and if we don't improve it will be our seventh consecutive season under 2,000.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Pumped for this game, glad I got my tix - want HU to absolutely BURY this team.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: The first game I think we had 4,500 people here clearly not a sellout but let it suffice to say there's going to be a lot of people here and that's a huge plus.
The first game had 4,645, which would not have been a sellout before, but with areas for kids added, Hofstra lists capacity at 4,645. For any game, there could be unused tickets. Teams make money from unused tickets, albeit not as much as if fans bought food, merchandise, and/or parking (free for Hofstra but not for pro teams). Jenkins's last and fourth-to-last home games had 5,050. I can't find Game Notes of the capacity from then, but the capacity last season was 5,052, so it was equal or close to that in 2010-2011. We averaged 3,073 in 2010-2011, which is our second highest average since 1998-1999 behind 3,623 in 2006-2007. In 2006-2007, Stokes, Agudio, and Rivera, returned, but a weak frontcourt made us a good but not elite team. That was the only time we were picked first in the CAA. We lost at Delaware, who was last in the CAA standings at 3-15. We're at 1,720 now, and if we don't improve it will be our seventh consecutive season under 2,000.
Evan if I remember correctly we were picked first in Green's senior year?? Si?
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I believe Justin needs 19 for 2000
garyg

Post by garyg »

After having a tough time with this team on the road [we usually do have tough games with W&M] a convincing victory would be welcome...let's get the bench some PT
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Cards wrote:Don't get me wrong, I hope the Mack is packed, but I think calling it a sellout is a little misleading. With todays method of buying tickets for events, the originating seller can sell thier available tickets to resellers who potentially end up getting stuck with them - hence, some seats have no one in them. For instance, places like Stubhub and VividSeats are showing good seats still available for Saturday. And I don't think these are simply someone who has a ticket or two and can't make it to the game. These sites show availability like 8 tickets in a row in premier seating still available.
Just checked out Stubhub and VIvidSeats, looks like there's only 8 tickets left!

It's up to the students to get the place rocking though. Hopefully they show up in droves on a cold Saturday afternoon. They should start giving away Rockstar energy drinks to the students again, I think I'm permanently wired from the ones they were giving away back when I was a student. That would get them hyped up a little for a 1st place team.

W&M runs a similar offense to Elon, and they also predominantly play man to man like Elon. Essentially we have to repeat what we did on Thursday night, in the sense that we need to keep moving the ball against the man to man, and find open shooters on the perimeter. That softened up the middle and got JT some big dunks. We struggled moving the ball in our first meeting, JWF took a lot of shots, even for a 3OT game.

The big difference between W&M and Elon is the presence of Nathan Knight in the middle. He's a 1st team guy, he's played very well in conference play. He torched us in Williamsburg too, we struggled to contain him inside in the 2nd half.

Farrelly said it in the pregame chalk-talk on Thursday, the zone D we're running has openings in it to allow mid-range jumpers. If we can get Knight shooting those all day, we can slow him down. Knight has decent mid-range proficiency, but he killed us in the paint the last game, and JT struggled a bit against him.

W&M's secondary players have been inconsistent, but a guy like Pierce, aka "Hedge Fund Jordan", can drop buckets. Milon and Audige, who's a LI guy, live beyond the arc as well. We just have to limit the good looks on the perimeter, and force mid-range jumpers like we did against Elon.

The re-emergence of Buie's 3 point shot is big for our offense down the stretch, it gives us 4 legit scorers on the court at all times, plus JT's above the rim presence in the middle. I feel really good about this one, but I never count the Tribe out against us though, they're always capable of getting in shootouts. I think we have the focus back though, and we put them away convincingly.