Hofstra vs CoC 1/19/19

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Hofstra vs CoC 1/19/19

Post by Cards »

Well folks - I think many of us have been looking forward to this point in the season to do a first half assessment. If we beat CoC, even though there are many games left, I think we all will be/are very pleased and look forward with great anticipation and confidence. If we lose, its still a super first half, but hammers home the reminder that anything can happen in a single game and likewise when you play 3 in 3 days.

Would love to see a solid win and really stake our claim!!
Wags

Re: Hofstra vs CoC 1/19/19

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:Well folks - I think many of us have been looking forward to this point in the season to do a first half assessment. If we beat CoC, even though there are many games left, I think we all will be/are very pleased and look forward with great anticipation and confidence. If we lose, its still a super first half, but hammers home the reminder that anything can happen in a single game and likewise when you play 3 in 3 days.

Hold that assessment for three more games. Still have two more games after tomorrow to reach the midpoint.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Still a long way to go but if we can pull out a win against a dangerous and talented team tomorrow we would be putting some nice real estate between us and everyone else.

Charleston is going to come in here hungry for a win after losing to Northeastern yesterday...if they lose tomorrow they will have four losses and that will be tough to make up.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Wags wrote:
Cards wrote:Well folks - I think many of us have been looking forward to this point in the season to do a first half assessment. If we beat CoC, even though there are many games left, I think we all will be/are very pleased and look forward with great anticipation and confidence. If we lose, its still a super first half, but hammers home the reminder that anything can happen in a single game and likewise when you play 3 in 3 days.

Hold that assessment for three more games. Still have two more games after tomorrow to reach the midpoint.

Was kinda referring to the time of the season when we play a tough opponent in the figuratively speaking "middle of the season" (which to me includes all OOC games). I know that many on the board feel that the conference games are the only ones that really matter, but I do not agree. Every game matters, every game builds a team, every game is what we are measured by. Heck, if the CAA is forever a one bid league, then the only games that matter are the 3 or 4 at the conference championship. Heck, if only CAA games mattered, then why is everyone so excited about the "6" game winning streak we are on? Excepting the idea that only CAA games matter forever cements the league as a one bid conference. it hasn't always been that way!
I'm getting a little off topic, and I don't mean to stir up a hornets nest (not getting on anyone's case), just my opinion. Needless to say, however you define this season, its a good one! :D
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I care about the whole season, but if a person is comparing records of two CAA teams after CAA games started, I assume that the person is only talking about CAA record.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/1/18/me ... urday.aspx is Hofstra's preview titled titled "MBB: Hofstra Hosts Defending CAA Champion Charleston On Saturday."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... game20.pdf is Hofstra's Game Notes.

Edit: We're favored by 5.5.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Unfortunately it IS all about those few games in March - and that's where HU and this wonderful fan base have been torched recently.

Go undefeated all season and drop the first game they play in the CAAT just like the last 2 years, and I'm sorry this is all fine and dandy but it's all for not and a failure IMO. I'm sure some will disagree, and that's ok, but for me, this year is dance or bust. MUST perform when it matters most, period.

Now this team is VERY exciting, and this year feels different as this team feels different - they deserve full support from way more than they're getting - but I am still burned, lol, it's in the back of my mind that they still need to win it all to validate everything!

But this CofC game is the one I've had marked for some time, I want to see HU take care of biz against these guys before boarding that train! Show out tomorrow and I will at least fire up the engines for some chooochoo!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Everyone attending let's make a lot of noise !!!!

Also, keep an eye out for recruits behind Pride bench...lol
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

garyg wrote:Everyone attending let's make a lot of noise !!!!

Also, keep an eye out for recruits behind Pride bench...lol
I’ll be there. Hoping for a great atmosphere.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We're 5 point favorites per Newsday and if this game was played on paper(CAA only) we would be IMO a clear favorite. Offensively we score 84.8 points a game and they score 67.8 a huge difference. They give up though 66 points to our 71. They definitely play D shoot well from the foul line a little worse then us but shoot the three poorly at .301 to our .410. They do defend the three a bit better then us so if we can force them into a three point shooting contest that clearly favors us. Obviously we need to keep Riller from having a field day and hope Taylor plays big against Brantley after that we have a lot more offensive options then they do. Lets take care of business today.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: Unfortunately it IS all about those few games in March - and that's where HU and this wonderful fan base have been torched recently.
I'm not disagreeing. I'm saying that before the CAA Tournament, I compare teams using the whole season, not just CAA games. When Joe Lunardi or anybody else makes a bracket using conference standings for automatic bids, sometimes a team is excluded who lost an upset in one of their first conference games but is clearly the best team in their conference if you considered every game. I'm not saying brackets shouldn't use the conference standings, but unless there's a big schedule difference in favor of the team with the worse record, I would take say Team A is better in this case:

Team A: 9-3 out of conference, 1-1 in conference, 10-4 overall
Team B: 6-6 out of conference, 2-0 in conference, 8-6 overall

Our CAA games have alternated going under and over the over/under, with today being under if the pattern continues. The over/under is 142.5. The line is down to 4.5, which makes a predicted score of 73.5-69.

Seven Overtimes predicts us to win 77-68 and RealTimeRPI predicted a big margin of 84-70. The Sagarin expects us to win by 5.56 (overall), 5.49 (Predictor), 4.79 (Golden_Mean), and 10.07 (Recent). I don't pay for KenPom to get predicted scores, but that has us 2.7 better, so if you make home court worth 3.1 like the Sagarin does, it makes 5.8. All of those expect us to win against the spread.

We're 52nd in the NET and 62nd in the RPI. The NET includes margin of victory, which the NET does not. Considering we're better in the NET, I'm surprised that 15 of our 18 opponents (excluding Rosemont) are better in the RPI than the NET. Our opponents have an average rank of 210.9 in the NET and 181.4 in the RPI.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

This one has been circled on my calendar - really want this win. I’ll be there screaming from my seats as usual.

Win this one and we are in pretty good shape for the conference season title very early in the season. That sounds crazy to say before the halfway point, but it’s the truth. I know that doesn’t mean anything in the grand scheme to some but it’s a another huge confidence builder as we aim to dance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cards

Post by Cards »

I think we all have been looking forward towards the CoC and NU games since early on. I will "take" any win today, but what I really want to see is HU giving CoC a 15+ pt beating.
More and more press and exposure - I love the product of winning! Last game before students come back, but I expect a pretty decent crowd today. Saturday afternoon game and it looks like the bad weather is predicted to hold off till after the game.

I'm pumped for this one - GO PRIDE!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Pride97 wrote:This one has been circled on my calendar - really want this win. I’ll be there screaming from my seats as usual.

Win this one and we are in pretty good shape for the conference season title very early in the season. That sounds crazy to say before the halfway point, but it’s the truth. I know that doesn’t mean anything in the grand scheme to some but it’s a another huge confidence builder as we aim to dance.

Screaming from the seats and making noise in general a big plus Pride97. Anything to give us an advantage. Where I sit people really get into it constantly chanting defense and making some noise when our opponent is on the foul line. We need to be getting loud during this game its a big one and as u have said a win would be huge!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Michigan loses to Wisconsin - we now have the second longest streak in the country. And Virginia plays Duke today.
Wins by HU and Duke today and we will own the longest winning streak. Even more press - I love it.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

triplec2195 wrote:
Pride97 wrote:This one has been circled on my calendar - really want this win. I’ll be there screaming from my seats as usual.

Screaming from the seats and making noise in general a big plus Pride97. Anything to give us an advantage. Where I sit people really get into it constantly chanting defense and making some noise when our opponent is on the foul line. We need to be getting loud during this game its a big one and as u have said a win would be huge!!
My section (101) is usually one of the more quiet sections. I sit on the rail so i know the refs can hear me - haha.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Cards wrote: Michigan loses to Wisconsin - we now have the second longest streak in the country. And Virginia plays Duke today.
Wins by HU and Duke today and we will own the longest winning streak. Even more press - I love it.
Duke is favored by 3.5. It's on ESPN at 6:00 P.M., so if we win we can watch to see if we can take the longest winning streak. I wonder if a CAA team has ever had the longest winning streak.

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2019 ... eston.html is jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Charleston."

Edit: I wonder what the record is for longest active winning or losing streak by a team in Men's Basketball or Women's Basketball that had a streak at least that long in the opposite direction for the other gender. In other words, if the Women's losing streak reach 8 before the Men lose, it would count as 8. I don't want to go by combined length because if Connecticut's Women have a 30 game winning streak while the Men lost their last game, the combined length would be 30+1=31, but it would be almost entirely from the Women. By taking the shorter streak, both streaks must have a significant length. The Women will probably lose their next 3 before going to Charleston on February 3. Charleston has the worst Women's RPI in the CAA.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=237154 will have statistics. Both teams are starting their usual starters. For Charleston that is Grant Riller (junior guard), Brevin Galloway (sophomore guard), Jarrell Brantley (senior forward), Marquise Pointer (senior guard), and Nick Harris (senior forward).

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... m#team.ind is Charleston's statistics.

As cited by Jerry Beach, KenPom predicts us to win 73-68.

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/hofs ... Type=video has video.

Edit: We went down 7-0 and trail 7-2. We made 1 field goal and had 2 hit the rim and bounce over the backboard. The statistics stopped working.

Edit: It's 7-4 and the statistics are fixed.

Edit: We are on a 9-0 run and lead 15-12. Pemberton has 9 points and his first blocked shot of the season. He entered with 9 in 79 games. He passed Lester for 27th in career points.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Everyone who was so worried about Pemberton for a couple of games can come back in off the ledge now. He's fine. Still far and away the No. 2 option.

Off of his season-high 24 on Thursday night, he has 12 of Hofstra's first 21 points today on 5/7 fg.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We lead 26-19. Brantley has 7 rebounds, which is more than Hofstra's 6, but he made only 2 of 8 field goals without attempting a three, and he has 2 of Charleston's 7 turnovers. They entered averaging only 10.8 turnovers.

Edit: We have our largest lead at 33-23. Since they had a 7-0 lead, Charleston has 6 field goals and 8 turnovers. JWF has only 4. Pemberton has 12. Ray has 9 by making 3 threes without a miss.

Edit: We lead 42-34 at halftime. Our largest lead was 42-29 before Nick Harris scored after getting an offensive rebound from Brantley's first attempted three, and Riller made a three at the buzzer to lead all scorers with 14. It was a good decision by Charleston to not use their use it or lose it timeout. When we led 33-23 at the media tiemout with 3:59 left, JWF had 4, meaning that we would have led 29-27 if you gave his points to Charleston. Hofstra has done something so rare that I would not be surprised if it was the first time they ever did it, but I have no way of finding out. Pemberton has 12 points, Taylor has 10, JWF has 9, Ray has 9, and Hofstra has 8 rebounds. Hofstra has four players with more points than the team's rebounds. Coburn has our other 2 points. Pemberton and Taylor both made 5 of 7 field goals. Buie shot 0-for-3 and hasn't scored. Dwyer played from 14:10 left to 11:16, and because Hofstra struggled early with Taylor playing, the announcer criticized bringing Taylor back in. Trueheart played from 7:31 left to 5:16 left, but I didn't know he played from watching. Neither Dwyer nor Trueheart attempted a shot. JWF leads us with 3 rebounds; Pemberton has 2; and Taylor, Ray, and Dwyer have 1. We have 8 assists, with 3 by JWF, 2 each by Buie and Pemberton, and 1 by Coburn. Free throws were negligible. Brantley is 2-for-2 and has Charleston only attempts. Hofstra has 5 attempts, with a make and miss by Pemberton, a miss by Pemberton to not get a three-point play, and 2 makes by JWF. Buie needs to make 3 to qualify for the NCAA free throw percentage leaders, and he hasn't attempted any.

After Riller's 14, Brantley has 10, but he has attempted 11 field goals, putting him on pace for way over his average of 12.9 attempts. Nick Harris has 4 and Brevin Galloway and Marquise Pointer have 3. Pointer made a long 3 at the shot clock buzzer. Jaylen Richard, Zep Jasper, Jaylen McManus, and Sam Miller combined for 20 minutes off the bench without scoring. I wonder how many times a team played consecutive games against teams with two players named Jaylen like Hofstra did. Jaylen Richard's last name was pronounced normally by the announcer who doesn't know that it is pronounced Ree-shard.

William & Mary and Elon are tied at 36, with Elon's Tyler Seibring having 14.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Finished the half 16/21 after starting 1/6. Great shot selection and efficiency from Pemberton and they found Taylor inside for a few easy ones.