New Athletic Director

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

New Athletic Director

Post by ProudofPride »

According to Jerry Beach on Twitter, Hofstra is announcing the new AD tomorrow morning.
Wags

Re: New Athletic Director

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:According to Jerry Beach on Twitter, Hofstra is announcing the new AD tomorrow morning.
The announcement is scheduled for 11 am.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Anybody know who? I heard it was down to four a couple of weeks ago.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Rumor has it that a high profile ex NBA player might interview for the AD position
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Nope, I heard three current college ADs and a mlb exec from the West Coast....that's what I heard.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So how soon can we expect to see changes to our athletic programs especially men's basketball??
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Rothstein is reporting that it’s Iona’s Rick Cole
Polito

Post by Polito »

I think I like this a lot. Talk to me insiders who know more about the AD world/life? Am I right to be excited by this?

Of course, Bad Rab will cut off his feet to do big things, but I like the actual hire quite a bit. Young, up and coming, and understands the mid major life, and will feel like HU has more rather than a P5(ish) guy who will think what the hell am I supposed to do here

AND he's used to making the NCAAT, so hopefully the leash for mediocrity or slightly above average will be short.

Wonder if that means Cluess will go anywhere - he's on the radar for some jobs.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

If it's true its a good hire...young solid, LI background but brings a good basketball (winning) background...now who will he report to and what will he be ALLOWED to do??
Wags

Post by Wags »

Watch live:
https://www.facebook.com/hofstraunivers ... =3&theater

The choice is indeed Iona's Rick Cole.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I absolutely love this hire. Praise the Lord this was done right.

Now, Prez Rab, give this man what he needs and the get the heck out of his way - I believe if this guy is allowed to make a true impact, he will get this dept in shape and back to actually winning championships instead of just talking about winning them.

Tempered excitement because of our Prez, but this is a super move and the potential here is sky high.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Polito wrote:I absolutely love this hire. Praise the Lord this was done right.

Now, Prez Rab, give this man what he needs and the get the heck out of his way - I believe if this guy is allowed to make a true impact, he will get this dept in shape and back to actually winning championships instead of just talking about winning them.

Tempered excitement because of our Prez, but this is a super move and the potential here is sky high.
Agreed. I like the fact we got someone on the way up, rather than at the end of a career. The whole department will benefit from fresh blood.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I like that they mentioned Grandma Jean today.

If she's half the help to Hofstra as Sister Jean is to Loyola, we're in good hands! :D
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Love the hire and the passion he displayed today. Also love that he is committed to winning while also not compromising academic success. Hopefully will deliver some nice fresh blood and will shine with fundraising and increasing attendance.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Agree with everyone here.

Looks like a strong young hire who is on the way up from a winning program. Lots to like here and hopefully can lead us to where we all know Hofstra should be. He clearly knows the attendance issues already with his plea to the community to start coming to events.

Hopefully prez lets him loose and allows him to lead.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote: Looks like a strong young hire who is on the way up from a winning program. Lots to like here and hopefully can lead us to where we all know Hofstra should be. He clearly knows the attendance issues already with his plea to the community to start coming to events.
That was a comment that stood out to me too. Very encouraging to hear that during an initial introduction. Hope he can work closely with the marketing folks to turn that around and fill the seats.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Incidentally, I read somewhere that Hathaway is pursuing "other opportunities". Was it ever disclosed why he really is leaving? (Money or otherwise)
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

His former boss?
Polito

Post by Polito »

I thought the tension between Rab and Hathaway was palpable during the intro and weak/cold thank you to Jeff...

Couple of quick stand outs to me:
- As mentioned his immediate understanding to reach out and connect with the community to put more fans in the seats
- His mention of past ADs was a simple respectful touch
- He seems to be a family man who values and lives by principles

Anyone catch the in the HU announcement a specific mention that Cole helped bring in modern jumbo scoreboards to the hoops facility? :D

Found that quite funny and apropos - and also tingly with excitement LOL

Course it all depends on you know who... PLEASE let this man work and give him the resources necessary

And Mr Cole, please have the boldness and courage to clean house as needed and whip this overly complacent and stale Dept into shape in quick order.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

This Newsday article from Marcus mentions plans to examine future of CAA membership. https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... 1.17721245