Justin Wright-Foreman declaring for the NBA?

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
G24

Justin Wright-Foreman declaring for the NBA?

Post by G24 »

Is this really happening? (Am I missing a joke?)

Via Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BgmKRB4hUK7/:
Growing up as a young boy from Queens, NY, I had dreams and aspirations of always playing professionally in the NBA. This dream draws closer to reality, as I have officially notified the NBA of my intentions to declare myself for consideration for this upcoming 2018 NBA Draft, WITHOUT HIRING AN AGENT. This was a very thought out decision I made with my family and WE feel that this is the best decision for ME to better my future. First and foremost I would like to give great thanks to God! Secondly, I would like show great appreciation to my family for helping me make this decision. Third, I would like to thank my teammates and coaches over the years for helping me through this journey in reaching my goal. Last, but most definitely not least, I would like to thank THE HOFSTRA COMMUNITY for all of your support over these last three years and for giving me an opportunity to play for such a tremendous University! With a special gratitude to the entire Hofstra Basketball Staff. #GoPride
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by G24 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hofstra

Re: Justin Wright-Foreman declaring for the NBA?

Post by Hofstra »

Love Justin going all out and doing the recruiting for Joe. Obviously he isn't getting drafted. Would love if he did, but no shot he gets taken in the Draft. I would assume Joe put him up to this to get Hofstra's name out there. "Come to Hofstra, we have underclassmen declaring for the NBA Draft"
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Hofstra wrote:Love Justin going all out and doing the recruiting for Joe. Obviously he isn't getting drafted. Would love if he did, but no shot he gets taken in the Draft. I would assume Joe put him up to this to get Hofstra's name out there. "Come to Hofstra, we have underclassmen declaring for the NBA Draft"
LOL I kind of hope that's true.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

here is his twitter, in case you thought he was hacked :)
https://twitter.com/JayWright_3
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote:Love Justin going all out and doing the recruiting for Joe. Obviously he isn't getting drafted. Would love if he did, but no shot he gets taken in the Draft. I would assume Joe put him up to this to get Hofstra's name out there. "Come to Hofstra, we have underclassmen declaring for the NBA Draft"
Kinda makes sense but also conspiracy-theorish. lol

I think he legitimately wants to test the waters off of a great season because anything can happen next year - an injury, whatever. And there's no risk without the agent.

A lot of guys do this and return to school. I don't see much difference here. Could cause him some problems in the CAA next year though. Might face some much tougher defense with opposing players thinking... "Oh, you thought you were going to get drafted? Okay watch me lock you down."
Wags

Post by Wags »

Before we get too upset about this, it could actually help Hofstra, and it two ways:

1) Chances are, he doesn't get drafted. And if not, he might get constructive feedback on what he'd need to work on in order to have a much better shot at getting drafted in 2019 (which is the real reason I believe he declared early now). If so, that should make him a better player, which should make Hofstra a better team next year.

2) If the first one above pans out, and he does get drafted in 2019, then obviously putting his picture on the wall of the practice facility in an NBA uniform alongside Speedy in that Spurs jersey and Charles in the Warriors jersey can only help with future recruiting.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:

I think he legitimately wants to test the waters off of a great season because anything can happen next year - an injury, whatever. And there's no risk without the agent.

A lot of guys do this and return to school. I don't see much difference here. Could cause him some problems in the CAA next year though. Might face some much tougher defense with opposing players thinking... "Oh, you thought you were going to get drafted? Okay watch me lock you down."
I don't even get the conspiracy theory. Wouldn't it be a better sell to play with him and have a chance to win some NCAA games?
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Was horrified when I first saw the news, but hopefully like others have stated this is a strategy to get his name out there and get feedback from going through process that can help him for the 2019 draft after hopefully a big senior season at Hofstra. With how stacked this draft seems between underclassmen declaring and foreign players, I can't see him going in first round and even 2nd round is iffy. If we did lose him though would be beyond devastating!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Could he just sign with a European team after his junior year. If the price is Wright I can see him going why risk injury in senior year if a 6 figure salary awaits you in Europe
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:
Wags wrote:

I don't even get the conspiracy theory. Wouldn't it be a better sell to play with him and have a chance to win some NCAA games?
In that this was Joe's master plan to help with recruiting. I don't believe that. I think it was Justin's decision to take a shot, test the waters and either get drafted or (more likely) get some feedback on what he can work on so he can possibly get drafted in 2019.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Could he just sign with a European team after his junior year. If the price is Wright I can see him going why risk injury in senior year if a 6 figure salary awaits you in Europe
It's a risk, but the odds are still low enough that he'd probably make it through his senior year healthy. If he's thinking that way, he figures his dream is the NBA and Europe will always be there, so take a shot now, and if necessary, take a second shot at the NBA next year.

I also wonder though, who has told him what about his chances of being drafted in June. Although we don't envision him getting drafted this year, his Instagram post, thanking Hofstra, etc., sounded like he truly believed this was it for him at Hofstra, and that in his mind, he's going to the NBA. Or, maybe he figures he'd fall back on Europe after this year's NBA draft instead of returning to Hofstra if he doesn't make the NBA this year. That would be a really bad move in that case, because he'd have a great chance at being a 2-time POY and possibly work that into getting drafted next year, like Jenkins did.
Last edited by Wags on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

This is a shock to me...think he's just testing the waters and he'll be back next year...fingers crossed!
Last edited by HUSID74 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:This is a shock to me...think he's just testing the waters and he'll be back next year's...fingers crossed!
That's exactly what he's doing.

"Today, I Have Notified The NBA Of My Intentions To Test The Waters Declaring For The 2018 NBA Draft w/o An Agent."
https://twitter.com/JayWright_3/status/ ... 7095502850
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Wags wrote:
stuball888 wrote:Could he just sign with a European team after his junior year. If the price is Wright I can see him going why risk injury in senior year if a 6 figure salary awaits you in Europe
I'm sure he will if he can't get to the NBA. But why do that now? That will always be there. This way, he can take one shot at the NBA. If that doesn't work, he can take another shot at the NBA next year.

I also wonder though, who has told him what about his chances of being drafted in June. Although we don't envision him getting drafted this year, his Instagram post, thanking Hofstra, etc., sounded like he truly believed this was it for him at Hofstra, and that in his mind, he's going to the NBA. Or, maybe he figures he'd fall back on Europe next year instead of returning to Hofstra if he doesn't make the NBA. That would be a really bad move in that case, because he'd have a great chance at being a 2-time POY and possibly work that into getting drafted next year, like Jenkins did.
Let's be honest, JWF isn't getting drafted this year or next year, too small, kind of a tweener. I would say to make this statement, he's strongly considering joining the professional ranks either way though.

Personally, I think he's gone, and would be (very happily) surprised if he stays for his senior year.

My hope is he stays and finishes up his degree, then goes global or G-league, where he would have a chance to make the NBA, like Warney from SB just did. I can't see him topping this season's production though, so I do think it's a smart move to at the very least test the waters to see where he stands.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Wags wrote:
I'm sure he will if he can't get to the NBA. But why do that now? That will always be there. This way, he can take one shot at the NBA. If that doesn't work, he can take another shot at the NBA next year.

I also wonder though, who has told him what about his chances of being drafted in June. Although we don't envision him getting drafted this year, his Instagram post, thanking Hofstra, etc., sounded like he truly believed this was it for him at Hofstra, and that in his mind, he's going to the NBA. Or, maybe he figures he'd fall back on Europe next year instead of returning to Hofstra if he doesn't make the NBA. That would be a really bad move in that case, because he'd have a great chance at being a 2-time POY and possibly work that into getting drafted next year, like Jenkins did.
Let's be honest, JWF isn't getting drafted this year or next year, too small, kind of a tweener.
Even if he won another POY award, led Hofstra to the NCAA tourney and maybe even won a game there? That could be enough to get picked in the second round next year.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Wags wrote:
Even if he won another POY award, led Hofstra to the NCAA tourney and maybe even won a game there? That could be enough to get picked in the second round next year.[/quote]

Lofty goals for his senior season.. Fingers crossed for at least 2 of them.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

When I originally saw this post last night I thought I was dreaming or more like having a major nightmare. I had to reflect on this overnight to gather my thoughts. On the one hand as a fan of HU hoops you want to see nothing but the best for Justin who's really a class act a great player and who represents the university in an exemplary way. A lot of conjecture as to what prompted this decision and how Justin really thinks this will play out. I thought it was a bit odd when I received the e-mail from Joe that initially mentioned getting a text from Justin in the morning thanking him. Why would he be thanking him when he still has another year to play?? Is he leaving, transferring?? These things initially went through my head and now this a potential dagger to our chances for next year. Jenkins who was built like a linebacker and who had plenty of accolades to his credit only got drafted in the second round and Juanya Green who clearly was a very good player doesn't get drafted. I'm in agreement like most people that Justin is getting an early NBA report card and more then likely will try to improve his grades following his senior year to get in and fulfill his childhood dreams. I hope it's not etched in stone that he isn't coming back for his last year and will jump to Europe if the NBA doesn't work out. I'm more inclined to HOPE( & PRAY) that he comes back if not drafted. I have said it more then once that we would have trouble winning any games without him but this is an exaggeration and maybe I should temper this by saying we wouldn't win many games without him!! Hopeful!!!
Last edited by triplec2195 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

That would be beyond foolish since Europe opportunity will always be there down the road and he can improve his draft stock with a big senior year not to mention finish his degree. As far as him thanking Hofstra in post, I took it to mean that he is thanking Hofstra for setting him up with this opportunity to test NBA waters and not that he is def not coming back/ Hopefully we will find out later on we were all in a panic for no reason and he will be back at the Mack in 2018/19.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

If JWF is not playing ball in a Hofstra uniform next season, the devastation level for us diehards would reach the level of the 2006 NCAA tournament snub, Tim Welsh DUI, and laptop theft debacle.
Yes it would be THAT BAD..

Even though I'll always root for JWF, I am a HU hoops supporter first and it would very hard to take not having the reigning CAA player of the year back for his senior season. If it does happen, it would be par for the course as a HU hoops fan.

I do think he is just testing the waters and will be back. But that's just my opinion. I don't think he'll get drafted this year and why rush to play in Europe now if dominating D-1 for 1 more season increases his chances of getting drafted in 2019? I don't think Europe is on his mind this offseason. It has to be NBA or back to Hofstra. Then next year if he still doesn't get drafted, he can look at Europe.

Fingers crossed!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Dooku25 wrote: If JWF is not playing ball in a Hofstra uniform next season, the devastation level for us diehards would reach the level of the 2006 NCAA tournament snub, Tim Welsh DUI, and laptop theft debacle.
Yes it would be THAT BAD..
Closer to the snub but not the others, but not as bad as any of them (though obviously wouldn't great, either).

With the snub, HU appeared to be getting an at-large bid, something it never had a chance for. Even if JWF stays, it's only for one more year and there'd still be significant work to do to get even an automatic bid. Seemingly less of a chance than just before the snub. So I wouldn't put this as being even as bad as 2006.

As far as the others, that time was rock bottom for the program, which took a little while to dig out of. If JWF leaves, and again, since there'd only be one year left for him anyway, it's not like the program would have to climb back from the same kind of depths as that 7-25 year and what immediately followed. They'd simply be moving up the post-JWF era by one year. While it might feel as devastating to fans, it's not nearly as damaging to the program going forward as those times were.