The MAAC being turned upside down

Discussions about the rest of the college sports world
Wags

Re: OT- the MAAC being turned upside down

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Cole commutes to New Rochelle from Oakdale???

http://www.icgaels.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4113

I like him just for this:

"Two high-definition scoreboards were installed in the summer of 2014 in the Hynes Center arena, transforming game day experience during men's and women's basketball and volleyball home contests. The video boards have also been used during other athletic and college events."
Yeah. Hofstra Arena/The Mack has been open for over 18 years. The building has held three presidential debates. It's past time for that. It's still a very nice arena, but it needs those type of current-day amenities to match.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The new scoreboard along with a new sound system have been on the athletic deoartment's wish list for years. Guess the big bucks spent on all those debates precludes updating the Mack.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To members of the board,Where are you getting the information about Cole's interest and possible second interview?
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

is it true they get some bad kids?
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

HUclassof19 wrote:is it true they get some bad kids?
Just take a look at their bios and where they have been...having said that Cluess is a damned good coach and a former Hofstra player.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:
Just take a look at their bios and where they have been...having said that Cluess is a damned good coach and a former Hofstra player.
He has enough connections that he could get other kids of players here. Also, even if he didn't, regardless of their past histories, I haven't seen any Iona players in the news during his tenure. So that must be working out from that standpoint (aside from the winning)?

Anyway, I think that ship has sailed. Hofstra would be a lateral move at best, and maybe a step back for him considering the relative success he's had at Iona to what Hofstra has achieved during the same time. The ONLY way he might consider it is that be that he'd be even closer to his roots (though I don't know where he lives now) and the idea that maybe he'd want to elevate the program he once played for.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

The Shadow wrote:To members of the board,Where are you getting the information about Cole's interest and possible second interview?
Just some chatter I saw on Twitter.. Not sure if the source can be trusted, but it's out there. Maybe HUSID can verify for us, I'd trust him more than some guy on Twitter..
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

All I can tell you guys is that I heard another name who has ties to Hofstra and is local...some of you sleuths can probably figure it out pretty quickly.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Wags wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:
He has enough connections that he could get other kids of players here. Also, even if he didn't, regardless of their past histories, I haven't seen any Iona players in the news during his tenure. So that must be working out from that standpoint (aside from the winning)?

Anyway, I think that ship has sailed. Hofstra would be a lateral move at best, and maybe a step back for him considering the relative success he's had at Iona to what Hofstra has achieved during the same time. The ONLY way he might consider it is that be that he'd be even closer to his roots (though I don't know where he lives now) and the idea that maybe he'd want to elevate the program he once played for.
Wags I would have to take issue with the "ship sailing" as the Hofstra job is bigger, much better facilities with a better conference and a much greater salary.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'm not so much thinking about landing Cluess, although that would be quite a scenario. Remember, he's just about JM's age, not sure of the long-term benefit there.

I can see both sides pretty evenly in terms of the Iona situation being nearly perfect (how could 7 straight years of meaningful postseason at a mid major get better), and the fact that HU can offer more of some things that HUSID just pointed out.

BUT, I think the real future benefit here could be in the landing of Grasso - he is 100% on track to move on from Iona, to be hired away, and to be a HC. Yeah, Grasso could be in line for the Iona job post-Cluess, but I think Cluess has more years in him as the HC than Grasso does as the assistant.

Now I'm not going to 'absolute' this one lol, I'm just noting the possibility here, but the upside here could be big and HU could be in a position to be the one with the vision (for once).
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote: Wags I would have to take issue with the "ship sailing" as the Hofstra job is bigger, much better facilities with a better conference and a much greater salary.
Wait, HU supposedly has money issues to the point it can't get new scoreboards or that it's being advised by some fans not to "waste" a whole 40K on the CBI, yet it can offer someone of Cluess' stature a "much greater" salary?

I would also think after 8 postseasons (1 CIT, 2 NITs and 5 NCAATs) in 8 years at Iona, if Cluess is looking to go elsewhere, it would be a much higher step up than Hofstra, where the job is bigger, the facilities even better, the conference even better and the salary even greater than with Hofstra. The ONLY way I see him being interested in HU is if he currently lives in the LI/Queens area and would like to elevate the school he once played for. But usually, guys with the level of mid-major success he's had jump to a major job in a major conference, not to another mid-major. Take Keatts, who after one CIT and two NCAATs in three years at UNCW, making the jump to NC State.

p.s. Since I just brought up, add Cluess and Keatts to the list who have had success getting to the NCAAT, who prior to that, saw value in playing in the CIT.
- Before going the NCAA tourney for two years, followed by two NITs and three NCATTs, Cluess went to the CIT in his first year at Iona.
- Before going to two NCAATs, Keatts went to the CIT in his first year at UNCW.
The fact that Hofstra didn't show up against Vermont in the CBI is on Hofstra, not on the CBI, because along with Iona, UNCW and others, Vermont is another successful mid-major who did show up against HU in the CBI. THAT'S the difference.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To HUSID74, Is it former assistant AD under Jack Hayes, Danny McCabe who is now the AD at Adelphi?
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

The Shadow wrote:To HUSID74, Is it former assistant AD under Jack Hayes, Danny McCabe who is now the AD at Adelphi?
As long as it's not Fiore.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Put it this way, it will NEVER be Fiore