MBB: Game 30 - vs. Towson (Sat 2/24, 4 pm)

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: MBB: Game 30 - vs. Towson (Sat 2/24, 4 pm)

Post by Wags »

Joe after today's game:

"We’re thrilled with the win today but [we’re] even more thrilled with how February was for us. We really played well in the month of February. It was our battle cry from February 1st, on. If you want to be good in March [and] if you want to have a chance to win your conference tournament, you need to be good in February, and we’ve been really good in February."

Counting not only February, but the final game in January...

They started 5-4 in CAA play, and finished 7-2, including 4-0.

So, mission accomplished on preparing for March from that standpoint.

Hopefully the layoff (7 days without a game before the next one) won't hurt the momentum they built, but that's also the same for UNCW (their first opponent in Charleston) and everyone else in the tourney.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Great game - to be at. Crowd was good as its been as of late.
I really grew to liking this team - flaws and all.
We are really going to absolutely miss our front court duo RG and HS - when HS is gone I wonder who JAM is going to yell at?
Our depth in the backcourt is certainly our strength - it was the best that I have seen our version of (a backcourt only) the Fab Five play.
I hope we catch lightening in a bottle next week and deliver us 3 more wins - for all his hard work I think RG deserves it.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I believe it was our largest crowd of the year. The official attendance 3,052.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

It was our highest attendance since our last game before the CAA Tournament in 2016 when we got 3,478 against Charleston. Our attendance has improved within this season. After 2,703 in the opener, we averaged 1,313 for our next seven games. In our last five games we averaged 2,385. If we don't host a postseason game, we finish averaging 1,832. Last season we averaged 1,854.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:
Wags wrote:41-37, Hofstra. Been tight every since HU recovered from a 7-0 Towson run that put the Tigers up 14-7.

W&M beat Charleston 116-102 in OT, making this game very important for HU now.

A win, HU gets the 3 seed.

A loss, it's a rematch with Towson in the 4/5 game. Not only is that potentially tougher than say Elon or Drexel, but it's a potential semis match with Charleston instead of possibly facing them in the finals as a 3 seed.
Now that I think about it, that 2OT heartbreaker in Baltimore, on Dixon's shot... although HU lost, they were right there in a 5 vs. 1 game. Maybe sometimes it's easier to catch the top seed in the semis thatn when they might be more focused playing for a championship. So maybe it's not such bad thing being on the same side of the bracket as the top seed.

Still, it's better to get this one today and go Charleston with 4 straight wins than off of a home Senior Day loss.
Let w&m knock them off then Image I'll take my chances with anyone if they reach the final.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'll just mention this kind of confused as to why it takes so long to get video highlights from a home game and a game that has highlight moments like the alley oop from Justin to Eli. IDK what other people think but whoever has been doing the video lately hasn't been doing a very good job. They have clipped off the ends of big plays that they were trying to highlight. Anyone who watches these post game videos will know what I'm talking about. Whoever on this forum has access to the powers that be and can effectuate change please reiterate both the sound system and the scoreboard need immediate attention. It's very hard to understand what is going on during award presentations and the scoreboard is bad. I sometimes look up to see stats on players in the game and their numbers aren't listed. There needs to be a seamless transition to making this happen from the scorers table. I'm not privy to what the mechanics r for this but I'm assuming it happens manually from the scorers table???????? Anyone on this??????????
Polito

Post by Polito »

Video folks are absolutely terrible - even when they do post highlights it's literally sliced and diced film - zero story, zero emotion or feeling from it, no key music or announcer calls to give it passion, just terrible cuts from play to play...

W&M had highlights of OUR HOME GAME up on Youtube before HU did - OUR OWN HOME GAME. That is pitiful. C'mon guys, flagship, D1, get your head in the game for goodness sake. Or get someone who can.

Alas, the game was a fantastic time - me, Mrs, kiddies, uncle, and 2 friends had a blast in the suites for this one. Super view up there by the way, and great food/drink for all. Will need to do more often.

HU always has to make it close, but I felt good about the game all the way - HU is the better team, although some matchups were tough.

Team is playing good ball heading into the CAAT, and that's what you need - HAVE to get the FT's cleaned up, that is vital for a 3 day tourney in hostile territory. But other than that, I really like the way they are playing. Great to see Ray continuing to play up to par, and just have to love the trio of Buie JWF and Pemba - they are legit - Rok playing like an inspired Sr, let's keep it up - appreciate the heck out of Hunter, and such a wonderful family. Thanks to Angus for his part pre-injury, liked him a lot and he helped the team win during his time.

The times they get into trouble are when they rely WAY too much on shooting the 3 - need to recognize when that's not working and get that ball inside by either driving or dishing. There was a couple of minutes near the end where it was bricked 3 after 3, and it wasn't necessary. But all in all, let's get this party started in Charleston!

On to the W! Can't complain about any opponent, this is what it is and have to take care of business. Get these first 2 games however possible, and get into the title game against CofC for all the marbles - I would take that 3rd game rematch all day long and feel good about HU's chances.

BUT must get there!!! God bless, and Godspeed team/staff - time to TCB, and separate the men from the boys - time to be a champion - GO DUTCH and ROLL PRIDE!
HofstraUSA

Post by HofstraUSA »

triplec2195 wrote:I'll just mention this kind of confused as to why it takes so long to get video highlights from a home game and a game that has highlight moments like the alley oop from Justin to Eli. IDK what other people think but whoever has been doing the video lately hasn't been doing a very good job. They have clipped off the ends of big plays that they were trying to highlight. Anyone who watches these post game videos will know what I'm talking about. Whoever on this forum has access to the powers that be and can effectuate change please reiterate both the sound system and the scoreboard need immediate attention. It's very hard to understand what is going on during award presentations and the scoreboard is bad. I sometimes look up to see stats on players in the game and their numbers aren't listed. There needs to be a seamless transition to making this happen from the scorers table. I'm not privy to what the mechanics r for this but I'm assuming it happens manually from the scorers table???????? Anyone on this??????????
Polito wrote:Video folks are absolutely terrible - even when they do post highlights it's literally sliced and diced film - zero story, zero emotion or feeling from it, no key music or announcer calls to give it passion, just terrible cuts from play to play...

W&M had highlights of OUR HOME GAME up on Youtube before HU did - OUR OWN HOME GAME. That is pitiful. C'mon guys, flagship, D1, get your head in the game for goodness sake. Or get someone who can.
These are decidedly unfair criticisms. Yesterday's game was not produced by Pride Productions. It was a College Sports Live webcast, so HU did not have immediate access to clips and replays. Do you think they posted eight video clips of the JMU rout and just one of yesterday's close game because they're incompetent? These people you're criticizing are the same ones who got us on SportsCenter three times this year. They wouldn't get us on SportsCenter three times if they were as lazy or as inept as you seem to think they are.

In addition, the OAC staff (which produces these clips) was severely understaffed and overworked yesterday. There were two lacrosse games on campus and a staffer accompanying the women's basketball team to North Carolina. The baseball team's first-ever no-hitter was about the 10th thing they were able to tackle last night. If you have a problem with how the OAC staff--filled with people who love Hofstra even more than you do, believe it or not--perform their jobs, it's not b/c they suck, it's b/c they aren't being given the resources they should have as a Division I program. Same reason the scoreboard is terrible.
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

i think the guys name is steven who does all that stuff. he spoke in one of my classes a couple of weeks ago. answered tons of questions.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Get these first 2 games however possible, and get into the title game against CofC for all the marbles - I would take that 3rd game rematch all day long and feel good about HU's chances.
Good to see you yesterday, Bro, as always!

Don't overlook Northeastern. They're built as well as anyone in the conference for this tournament.

That 81-59 dismantling of Elon, for their 7th straight win yesterday (in a home game Elon needed, while NU was already locked into the No. 2 spot win or lose), said a lot about where they are as a team going into this tourney.

If HU ends up cutting the nets, it's possible beating NU in the semis might be even tougher than beating Charleston in a title game, even playing Charleston "on the road" with a title at stake.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HofstraUSA wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:I'll just mention this kind of confused as to why it takes so long to get video highlights from a home game and a game that has highlight moments like the alley oop from Justin to Eli. IDK what other people think but whoever has been doing the video lately hasn't been doing a very good job. They have clipped off the ends of big plays that they were trying to highlight. Anyone who watches these post game videos will know what I'm talking about. Whoever on this forum has access to the powers that be and can effectuate change please reiterate both the sound system and the scoreboard need immediate attention. It's very hard to understand what is going on during award presentations and the scoreboard is bad. I sometimes look up to see stats on players in the game and their numbers aren't listed. There needs to be a seamless transition to making this happen from the scorers table. I'm not privy to what the mechanics r for this but I'm assuming it happens manually from the scorers table???????? Anyone on this??????????
Polito wrote:Video folks are absolutely terrible - even when they do post highlights it's literally sliced and diced film - zero story, zero emotion or feeling from it, no key music or announcer calls to give it passion, just terrible cuts from play to play...

These are decidedly unfair criticisms. Yesterday's game was not produced by Pride Productions. It was a College Sports Live webcast, so HU did not have immediate access to clips and replays. Do you think they posted eight video clips of the JMU rout and just one of yesterday's close game because they're incompetent? These people you're criticizing are the same ones who got us on SportsCenter three times this year. They wouldn't get us on SportsCenter three times if they were as lazy or as inept as you seem to think they are.

In addition, the OAC staff (which produces these clips) was severely understaffed and overworked yesterday. There were two lacrosse games on campus and a staffer accompanying the women's basketball team to North Carolina. The baseball team's first-ever no-hitter was about the 10th thing they were able to tackle last night. If you have a problem with how the OAC staff--filled with people who love Hofstra even more than you do, believe it or not--perform their jobs, it's not b/c they suck, it's b/c they aren't being given the resources they should have as a Division I program. Same reason the scoreboard is terrible.

welcome to the boards, and thanks for the insight into the production of the highlights.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
HofstraUSA wrote:

welcome to the boards, and thanks for the insight into the production of the highlights.
HofstraUSA welcome and thanks for the info which most of us aren't privy to we're just commenting on the final product and no product in some cases. I see you referred to one video but I don't know where that is haven't seen that yet. Why wasn't Pride Productions doing video of this last home game senior day and a very important basketball game with the outcome having a major impact on who we play in the CAA tourney? I don't know the difference between Pride Productions and OAC(WHATEVER THAT STANDS FOR) SORRY? It's only recently that I've seen a drop off in quality of the post game video and absence of video after some games? We all seem to understand that management here is overally frugal maybe just doesn't have the money and not trying to throw you people under the bus but have become frustrated with what we see as a lack of concern for our basketball program that a lot of us are passionate about. So let's be understanding for both our plights and maybe you can post some more info. on the inner workings of the video production so we can be more educated and understand both positions. I'm sure our future posts will be more understanding!
Polito

Post by Polito »

HofstraUSA, I want to also welcome you and say thanks for responding, MUCH appreciated!

That said, a couple of follow up points:

Your insight raises a HUGE concern that Mens Hoops is not being treated as the Flagship, i.e. the #1 priority. And it absolutely should be. There is NO excuse for the final regular season game / Sr day to not be fully covered Saturday. I appreciate baseball and Coach Russo, standup people in that program, but baseball in no way shape or form trumps mens hoops. And frankly neither does mens lax, although it is a close second.

This needs to be addressed and corrected.

We are all very familiar with the lack of support and funding in this athletics dept... It's disgusting and saddening, and unfortunately starts at the very top of this U - hopefully once under new presidential and AD leadership things will have a chance to improve. Praying.

Hate to hear that you guys are not staffed or supported properly, that is embarrassing. But we def get it, and your deeper insight helps to clarify, confirm, and highlight it even further, thank you.

Now, as I mentioned before, this is not just one game. The WM game, a HOME game for HU, the Tribe had highlights of this game up on YT before HU had anything. This is unacceptable. If an opponent can figure out how to do it for an away game, I expect HU to do so for their own home game. Within 24 hours seems reasonable IMO based on what I see the vast majority other programs do. It's Monday morning and there are still no game highlights from Saturday afternoon. C'mon, I don't think we are being unreasonable here.

And this happens more often than not. Surely there must be a way to tighten this up. Again, the flagship sport, must be treated with the proper priority. Not about being fair, funding isn't fair, and neither is support - flagship = priority.

I'm not even going to get into the quality of how the highlights are put together, that is for another day. Let's start with getting this stuff on a more timely basis - the rest I will admit is mostly nitpicking! :D

Finally, thank you for taking the time to check this board, to respond, and to read our feedback. MUCHO appreciation on that!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

This is yet another example of our sports programs not being properly funded...I think it's time that we express our concerns to the man at the top. It would not hurt if he received 20 or so emails on this subject.

I really think he believes that the entire University community is as apathetic to the sports programs as he is...just another example, he did not show up the other night when all the athletes who earned 3.0 averages or better were honored!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

"Polito"]Video folks are absolutely terrible - even when they do post highlights it's literally sliced and diced film - zero story, zero emotion or feeling from it, no key music or announcer calls to give it passion, just terrible cuts from play to play...

W&M had highlights of OUR HOME GAME up on Youtube before HU did - OUR OWN HOME GAME. That is pitiful. C'mon guys, flagship, D1, get your head in the game for goodness sake. Or get someone who can.[/quote]

In addition, the OAC staff (which produces these clips) was severely understaffed and overworked yesterday. There were two lacrosse games on campus and a staffer accompanying the women's basketball team to North Carolina. The baseball team's first-ever no-hitter was about the 10th thing they were able to tackle last night. If you have a problem with how the OAC staff--filled with people who love Hofstra even more than you do, believe it or not--perform their jobs, it's not b/c they suck, it's b/c they aren't being given the resources they should have as a Division I program. Same reason the scoreboard is terrible.[/quote]

HofstraUSA welcome and thanks for the info which most of us aren't privy to we're just commenting on the final product and no product in some cases. I see you referred to one video but I don't know where that is haven't seen that yet. Why wasn't Pride Productions doing video of this last home game senior day and a very important basketball game with the outcome having a major impact on who we play in the CAA tourney? I don't know the difference between Pride Productions and OAC(WHATEVER THAT STANDS FOR) SORRY? It's only recently that I've seen a drop off in quality of the post game video and absence of video after some games? We all seem to understand that management here is overally frugal maybe just doesn't have the money and not trying to throw you people under the bus but have become frustrated with what we see as a lack of concern for our basketball program that a lot of us are passionate about. So let's be understanding for both our plights and maybe you can post some more info. on the inner workings of the video production so we can be more educated and understand both positions. I'm sure our future posts will be more understanding![/quote]

I just found this on you tube 15 minutes of nice footage from the Towson game. Amen posted today!!
https://youtu.be/90z48RCc3No
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

Polito wrote: W&M had highlights of OUR HOME GAME up on Youtube before HU did - OUR OWN HOME GAME. That is pitiful. C'mon guys, flagship, D1, get your head in the game for goodness sake. Or get someone who can.
i know you are always right (or think you are). but arent the highlights here- http://gohofstra.com/news/2018/2/15/men ... ath=mbball
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUclassof19 wrote:
Polito wrote: W&M had highlights of OUR HOME GAME up on Youtube before HU did - OUR OWN HOME GAME. That is pitiful. C'mon guys, flagship, D1, get your head in the game for goodness sake. Or get someone who can.
i know you are always right (or think you are). but arent the highlights here- http://gohofstra.com/news/2018/2/15/men ... ath=mbball
HUclassof19 Those highlights were posted after they were put on youtube initially. They weren't there after the game was over just like the last games highlights against Towson are on youtube but the last time I looked weren't on gohofstra!!
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID74 wrote:This is yet another example of our sports programs not being properly funded...I think it's time that we express our concerns to the man at the top. It would not hurt if he received 20 or so emails on this subject.

I really think he believes that the entire University community is as apathetic to the sports programs as he is...just another example, he did not show up the other night when all the athletes who earned 3.0 averages or better were honored!
When does the Rabinowitz contract expire ??
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

When he gets a judgeship Only way he leaves if the judge position opens up. Say what you will about him but he raises money for the school like Nancy Pelosi raises money for the Democratic Party
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote:Why wasn't Pride Productions doing video of this last home game senior day and a very important basketball game with the outcome having a major impact on who we play in the CAA tourney?
The CAA had College Sports Live "Game of the Week," which is a bad term because there were 12 in 8 weeks plus a ninth weekend. Hofstra had 3 of them. These games are broadcasted by Jeff McCarragher and Mack McCarthy, who broadcasted CAA games for the defunct American Sports Network. I'm assuming the CAA signed a contract prohibiting teams from streaming live video with their own announcers (Pride Productions). If you want more details, you could e-mail rwashburn @caasports.com (remove the space I put in so computer bots couldn't read his e-mail address).