Buying Tickets and Good Seats For Saturday

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Buying Tickets and Good Seats For Saturday

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:
Wags wrote:They could have done a much better job marketing JWF and Rok's chase for the all-time CAA rebounding record to the masses.

They miss those opportunities a lot, like when Jenkins was the two-time POY and was chasing the all-time Hofstra scoring record (and got it) -- although the LIon's Den got on that themselves with a packed student section and a lot of signs they made -- or when Agudio was breaking the school 3-point record, etc.

When you have top CAA talent or guys in the Top 10 in the nation in a major category, you have to scream it from the rooftops so people who aren't aware or don't follow like we do will come check it out and say, "Hmm, is he really one of the best in the country at (scoring, rebounding, etc.) and he's right here in my backyard, on LI? At Hofstra? I'll have to go see him play."

That's especially true because fans -- particularly kids, and particularly kids today -- love stars. That's why the NBA is so popular relative to some other leagues like MLB or the NHL. They have always marketed their stars very well.

Hofstra has been extremely fortunate to have had its share of stars since leaving the AE and joining the CAA, with guys like Speedy, Agudio, Stokes, Jenkins, JWF, Rok, maybe Pemberton next year or the after... but you have to let the entire NYC area know it. This year, HU should have been telling the NYC area about JWF's chase to lead the CAA in scoring and JWF being the leading CAA POY candidate, and Rok's chase to break David Robinson's record (ESPECIALLY that one, b/c it might be another 31 years before it happens again) until the whole NYC area was tired of hearing it.

Just can't miss those types of opportunities when you have them.
Touche! Well said! Couldn't have said it better myself! And it was my firm that did the marketing for Charles' last two seasons. The school spent some money then, we did a Jenkins billboard on the LI Expressway, spent some money in Newsday, on the FAN and some other outlets....it paid off in 3,000 plus attendance in Charles' senior year....Crickets for tomorrow's game except for the perfunctory email blast.
You both bring up some great points about marketing and getting the word out - but I also think it has to do with the completely apathetic demographics of the area and how they will only jump on the bandwagon when a team/player is really getting headlines.
So, like I said, they had the good fortune of not having one, but TWO of them this year, with JWF and Rok. Again, they have to toot their own horns with something like that when they have it because it's not every year that they do.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:
Wags wrote:They could have done a much better job marketing JWF and Rok's chase for the all-time CAA rebounding record to the masses.

They miss those opportunities a lot, like when Jenkins was the two-time POY and was chasing the all-time Hofstra scoring record (and got it) -- although the LIon's Den got on that themselves with a packed student section and a lot of signs they made -- or when Agudio was breaking the school 3-point record, etc.

When you have top CAA talent or guys in the Top 10 in the nation in a major category, you have to scream it from the rooftops so people who aren't aware or don't follow like we do will come check it out and say, "Hmm, is he really one of the best in the country at (scoring, rebounding, etc.) and he's right here in my backyard, on LI? At Hofstra? I'll have to go see him play."

That's especially true because fans -- particularly kids, and particularly kids today -- love stars. That's why the NBA is so popular relative to some other leagues like MLB or the NHL. They have always marketed their stars very well.

Hofstra has been extremely fortunate to have had its share of stars since leaving the AE and joining the CAA, with guys like Speedy, Agudio, Stokes, Jenkins, JWF, Rok, maybe Pemberton next year or the after... but you have to let the entire NYC area know it. This year, HU should have been telling the NYC area about JWF's chase to lead the CAA in scoring and JWF being the leading CAA POY candidate, and Rok's chase to break David Robinson's record (ESPECIALLY that one, b/c it might be another 31 years before it happens again) until the whole NYC area was tired of hearing it.

Just can't miss those types of opportunities when you have them.
Touche! Well said! Couldn't have said it better myself! And it was my firm that did the marketing for Charles' last two seasons. The school spent some money then, we did a Jenkins billboard on the LI Expressway, spent some money in Newsday, on the FAN and some other outlets....it paid off in 3,000 plus attendance in Charles' senior year....Crickets for tomorrow's game except for the perfunctory email blast.
Your firm isn't working on Hofstra hoops anymore? If not, what happened? Sounds like Hofstra didn't spend the money after that. Wonder if HU made more off of that effort than they spent on your firm. If so, there's no reason why that shouldn't have continued, but maybe it was a net negative for them.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Nope, we haven't done any work for awhile now. You can do the math, 1,000 more fans per game; what revenue does that generate, vs an expenditure of about $25k