CAA Tournament Seeding and Tiebreakers

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: CAA Tournament Seeding and Tiebreakers

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Agreed. Eli and the improved play of Buie are why we have played so well in February. You can't key in on Justin defensively. In addition, Eli has gotten off to fast starts while Justin seems to need some time to get going.
That's fine. That formula got HU within seconds of a CAA title two years ago, when Tanksley had it going earlier and then Juan'ya would often take over and bring it home late.
Justin has gone with the flow and if scoring is coming from other players as it has been lately he's very content being the playmaker. In a lot of recent games he has taken relatively few shots in the 1st half and if you look at his numbers he does the bulk of his scoring in the second half. This is no coincidence it's by design. If however EP is having an off night and scoring is not forthcoming then it's JWF time. ROK is starting to thrive in the pick and roll with teams having to double team Justin and it's visions of The Green/Tanksley team.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Agreed. Eli and the improved play of Buie are why we have played so well in February. You can't key in on Justin defensively. In addition, Eli has gotten off to fast starts while Justin seems to need some time to get going.
That's fine. That formula got HU within seconds of a CAA title two years ago, when Tanksley had it going earlier and then Juan'ya would often take over and bring it home late.
Justin has gone with the flow and if scoring is coming from other players as it has been lately he's very content being the playmaker. In a lot of recent games he has taken relatively few shots in the 1st half and if you look at his numbers he does the bulk of his scoring in the second half. This is no coincidence it's by design. If however EP is having an off night and scoring is not forthcoming then it's JWF time. ROK is starting to thrive in the pick and roll with teams having to double team Justin and it's visions of The Green/Tanksley team.
It might be by design on the opponents' part as much or more than HU's. I think HU is always looking to get JWF (and everyone else) off to a good start early. But it's no secret JWF has led the CAA in scoring all year, so other teams are going to key on him early. That opens up the game for Eli and other guys. Then, when opponents have to turn their attention to them, it makes it easier for JWF to do damage in the second half.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The best players always
take over the game late when the game is on the line
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:The best players always
The best players on most teams do.

The best players in a league involve others enough so they don't have to.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:

Late in the game if we have the lead in a close game I want the ball in Justin's hands and more often then not he's going to be fouled and he's the best FT shooter on the team even though lately he's been a bit shaky.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Right now I like the way Buie is at the line he has ice water in his veins
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Buie At 82 percent and JWF at 80 percent
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:Buie At 82 percent and JWF at 80 percent
Ok then, either one is fine!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep - clean up the FT's and I'll feel even better about this tourney...
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:Buie At 82 percent and JWF at 80 percent
Ok then, either one is fine!
I like Buie's numbers but a much smaller sample size. We will see who shoots the next Technical foul shot?
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:

Late in the game if we have the lead in a close game I want the ball in Justin's hands and more often then not he's going to be fouled and he's the best FT shooter on the team even though lately he's been a bit shaky.
I have no problem with that. But the defense knows that too in late-game situations and can play him so he can't even be in a good position to draw a foul. So if JWF isn't helping other get involved all game long (while still getting his), he won't be in the best position to make game-winning plays late -- which may not only include him making big shots or getting to the line for key, late FTs himself, but making the right pass to an open teammate for a better look late in a close game if he's either double-teamed or isn't able to get to the spots he wants to because the defense is keying on him.

As an example, think of how we lost in the semis against W&M in Baltimore: Thornton had a huge game with 37 pts, Omar Prewitt as well, with 33 pts, but what won the game in the end? Thortnon getting as far as he could before he was keyed on. Instead of forcing it on the left wing, he made the right play, hitting a wide-open Dixon for the corner 3 that won it. Even the best of all-time did it in the biggest situations: Jordan hitting Kerr or Paxson for clinching 3s. It all depends on what the defense gives you and what it doesn't and your star player making the right play himself (if it's there) or having the trust and confidence in his teammates to do the same (which goes back to another recent discussion on this board: how tight-knight and together the team is right now, because having that helps that trust and confidence in the type of big spots we all expect to see at some points in this tourney).
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:The best players always

I have no problem with that. But the defense knows that too in late-game situations and can play him so he can't even be in a good position to draw a foul. So if JWF isn't helping other get involved all game long (while still getting his), he won't be in the best position to make game-winning plays late -- which may not only include him making big shots or getting to the line for key, late FTs himself, but making the right pass to an open teammate for a better look late in a close game if he's either double-teamed or isn't able to get to the spots he wants to because the defense is keying on him.

As an example, think of how we lost in the semis against W&M in Baltimore: Thornton had a huge game with 37 pts, Omar Prewitt as well, with 33 pts, but what won the game in the end? Thortnon getting as far as he could before he was keyed on. Instead of forcing it on the left wing, he made the right play, hitting a wide-open Dixon for the corner 3 that won it. Even the best of all-time did it in the biggest situations: Jordan hitting Kerr or Paxson for clinching 3s. It all depends on what the defense gives you and what it doesn't and your star player making the right play himself (if it's there) or having the trust and confidence in his teammates to do the same (which goes back to another recent discussion on this board: how tight-knight and together the team is right now, because having that helps that trust and confidence in the type of big spots we all expect to see at some points in this tourney).

Yes good points but still want Justin with the ball but whatever he does with it will be his decision. Fair enough. Yes great play by Thornton who for some reason was double teamed leaving Dixon open who burned us more then once a very good basketball player. It was very hard to believe we lost that game and I think in regulation (my best recollection) Dion Nesmith missed the front end of a one and one which would have probably put the game out of reach. Heart breaker!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Nesmith missed that up 2 with 29 seconds left.

This was the first time every team won at least one-third of their CAA games.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Anyone expecting or thinking there could be any upsets of NU or CofC on Sunday, depending on who from the bottom 4 makes it through?

Curious who would have the best shot to knock off either of those teams.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:Anyone expecting or thinking there could be any upsets of NU or CofC on Sunday, depending on who from the bottom 4 makes it through?

I'm not really confident of that happening but if it were to happen I would have to think it would be Drexel but don't hold your breath on that one.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Anyone expecting or thinking there could be any upsets of NU or CofC on Sunday, depending on who from the bottom 4 makes it through?

Drexel did beat Charleston this season, but it was at home. Lost big at Charleston, and I just don't see it (even if it were in Philly lol). The only way is if Isabell goes off for like 40 and Charleston is inexplicably ice cold from 3.
I think the tourney will be very competitive as a whole, but I see mostly if not all chalk.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:

Drexel did beat Charleston this season, but it was at home. Lost big at Charleston, and I just don't see it (even if it were in Philly lol). The only way is if Isabell goes off for like 40 and Charleston is inexplicably ice cold from 3.
I think the tourney will be very competitive as a whole, but I see mostly if not all chalk.

Agree with the Isabell theory but could he carry that team by himself? The little Napoleons could upset but let them get past Towson first.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Charleston could get knocked off if Nick Harris is still out, he was in a walking boot after the Elon game, and missed the W&M game. I think JMU would have the best chance to beat them based on the way they play, JMU played Charleston very tough during the season, losing by 7 on the road, and in OT at home.

I don't see Northeastern losing, but Elon is playing too bad considering the amount of experience they have. I could see them regrouping with this week off, knocking off UDel, and giving Northeastern a run in the quarters.