CAA Tournament Seeding and Tiebreakers

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: CAA Tournament Seeding and Tiebreakers

Post by Polito »

I like the times and matchups as well, although all tough of course. But I like playing the nightcap in potentially all 3 games, rather than different times of day - team can get into a groove.

UNCW will certainly have more fans, but I don't think it'll be anything like their tourney seasons, and the fact the game is late Sunday night will have some impact on that as well... I don't expect anything the team can't handle.

NU and HU will not have to worry about that on either side lol.

And if it's CofC for the title, then who cares at that point - you lay it all out and see what happens, crowd be damned.

One game at a time. The top teams are all playing well, and the bottoms of course can still present challenges in 1 game. Should be a wild tourney.

Rooting, believing, praying, hoping, cheering, supporting - as frustrating as things can be at times, HU hoops is one of the easiest programs to root for in terms of the quality of the people, staff and players. Solid and standup all around, each and every one rep HU super well. They work their butts off, and I desire the best for them this coming weekend, and to see them make history!
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Since NE and COC tied for first - does one or both of them get the automatic NIT bid should neither win the CAA tourney and automatic NCAA bid? Seems to me this might hurt HU's chances of gaining an NIT berth. Thought HU had a shot if the Pride went 21 - 12 and made the CAA final. Not sure NIT will take two Colonial teams.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Mikey77 wrote: Not sure NIT will take two Colonial teams.
Not sure either Mikey, but it has been done in the past. I believe in both 2008 and 2009 and maybe earlier years also?
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

I don't think we have a shot at NIT this year with an RPI around 100. Charleston would get the auto bid if they lose conference tourney. I'd say NE will probably get the NIT bid if Charleston wins the league.

As for the UNCW matchup, there's no need to look back at the last game. As I previously stated, that was bad spot for us with UNCW having a week off and us coming off a nice win 2 days prior.

This game sets up completely different than the last one and I fully expect us to play well and pull out the W. Both teams have a week to prepare and although Wilmington will bring a crowd, it will be nothing like the Trask. The staff can actually use the loss against them to our advantage so we don't take them lightly. We are the better team and we should win this game, period.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Mikey77 wrote:Since NE and COC tied for first - does one or both of them get the automatic NIT bid should neither win the CAA tourney and automatic NCAA bid? Seems to me this might hurt HU's chances of gaining an NIT berth. Thought HU had a shot if the Pride went 21 - 12 and made the CAA final. Not sure NIT will take two Colonial teams.
Good question Mikey that I don't know either but I like the idea of 2 teams going to the NIT however I'm only thinking NCAAT it's been a long time. I'm sure Evan would have an answer for this!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We got the Auto bid in 2016 and we tied with UNCW for the regular season title...It looks like NCAA Tourney or bust for us.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Even though we tied UNCW that year I think we were rewarded the title based on the tie breaker. I think we beat UNCW twice that year during the regular season
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

There's a lot of talk about intangibles here such as the time of the game, fan base, time between games and all of this. I might be very wrong but I think this game comes down to one thing and that's containing Cacock so he doesn't have a deja-vu game with 25 points and 16 rebounds. In the game we lost by 20 JWF hurt his ankle and played 35 minutes and only scored 15 points also EP had an off shooting night. I didn't see a lot of this game and Buie was also hurt. If Cacock scores around his average @ 17 points a game and grabs his normal apg rebounds we will win this game. Our guards IMO will not have an off night like that last game against them and although this game will be close we will prevail providing we don't let Cacock have a field day. If we can get him in foul trouble early like at HU and keep him on the bench better yet. It very well may be that ROK will be the one having a field day because he has played well against UNCW.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Even though we tied UNCW that year I think we were rewarded the title based on the tie breaker. I think we beat UNCW twice that year during the regular season
HU actually split with UCNW that year, with each team winning a very close game on the other team's home floor.

But correct, HU got the next tiebreaker, which is why they were the 1 seed and UNCW the 2 seed in that year's CAA tourney.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:There's a lot of talk about intangibles here such as the time of the game, fan base, time between games and all of this. I might be very wrong but I think this game comes down to one thing and that's containing Cacock so he doesn't have a deja-vu game with 25 points and 16 rebounds. In the game we lost by 20 JWF hurt his ankle and played 35 minutes and only scored 15 points also EP had an off shooting night. I didn't see a lot of this game and Buie was also hurt. If Cacock scores around his average @ 17 points a game and grabs his normal apg rebounds we will win this game. Our guards IMO will not have an off night like that last game against them and although this game will be close we will prevail providing we don't let Cacock have a field day. If we can get him in foul trouble early like at HU and keep him on the bench better yet. It very well may be that ROK will be the one having a field day because he has played well against UNCW.
I agree with all of this, although there is one key intangible with this year's team that I think does matter a lot: this is a very tight-knight team this year, and when you take a trip together that will last several days, playing every day for three straight days (we hope), that can be a big factor -- especially when you need that "us against the world" mentality in a tournament setting, playing for a title, in front of few of your fans and a lot more of the other teams' fans in one or more of these games. It's a big reason why I think they were able to play well on the road this season (6-3 in the CAA, matching their 6-3 CAA home record).

After the last win over Towson on Saturday, Joe said:

“These guys are together. They believe in each other and play for each other. It’s a good feeling in that locker room. They communicate and they have a sense of how the other guys play around them."

That's certainly the feeling I got having spoken with the players and Joe, and seeing how the players have interacted with each other this season. So if you dismiss the other intangibles (which I get why you would), I think being a tight-knit team the way this squad seems to be can be very important when hitting the road for a conference tourney.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I believe the core JWF-Eli-Rok-Buie is a mature group. Let's hope it shines through next week.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:There's a lot of talk about intangibles here such as the time of the game, fan base, time between games and all of this. I might be very wrong but I think this game comes down to one thing and that's containing Cacock so he doesn't have a deja-vu game with 25 points and 16 rebounds. In the game we lost by 20 JWF hurt his ankle and played 35 minutes and only scored 15 points also EP had an off shooting night. I didn't see a lot of this game and Buie was also hurt. If Cacock scores around his average @ 17 points a game and grabs his normal apg rebounds we will win this game. Our guards IMO will not have an off night like that last game against them and although this game will be close we will prevail providing we don't let Cacock have a field day. If we can get him in foul trouble early like at HU and keep him on the bench better yet. It very well may be that ROK will be the one having a field day because he has played well against UNCW.
I agree with all of this, although there is one key intangible with this year's team that I think does matter a lot: this is a very tight-knight team this year, and when you take a trip together that will last several days, playing every day for three straight days (we hope), that can be a big factor -- especially when you need that "us against the world" mentality in a tournament setting, playing for a title, in front of few of your fans and a lot more of the other teams' fans in one or more of these games. It's a big reason why I think they were able to play well on the road this season (6-3 in the CAA, matching their 6-3 CAA home record).

“These guys are together. They believe in each other and play for each other. It’s a good feeling in that locker room. They communicate and they have a sense of how the other guys play around them."

That's certainly the feeling I got having spoken with the players and Joe, and seeing how the players have interacted with each other this season. So if you dismiss the other intangibles (which I get why you would), I think being a tight-knit team the way this squad seems to be can be very important when hitting the road for a conference tourney.
Yes excellent point Wags I wasn't even thinking about how tight these guys appear to be and focused on one goal. Let's hope they can see this thru to fruition it would be a great college basketball story especially for us fans.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote:
stuball888 wrote: Even though we tied UNCW that year I think we were rewarded the title based on the tie breaker. I think we beat UNCW twice that year during the regular season
HU actually split with UCNW that year, with each team winning a very close game on the other team's home floor.

But correct, HU got the next tiebreaker, which is why they were the 1 seed and UNCW the 2 seed in that year's CAA tourney.
It was actually the second tiebreaker after head-to-head. Here is how the CAA said the tie was broken:

"Both teams have 4-2 records against the teams tied for third place, but Hofstra has a better record (2-0) than UNCW (1-1) vs. Northeastern."

A conference can't get more than one automatic NIT bid regardless of how many teams finish tied.
triplec2195 wrote:
Mikey77 wrote: Since NE and COC tied for first - does one or both of them get the automatic NIT bid should neither win the CAA tourney and automatic NCAA bid? Seems to me this might hurt HU's chances of gaining an NIT berth. Thought HU had a shot if the Pride went 21 - 12 and made the CAA final. Not sure NIT will take two Colonial teams.
Good question Mikey that I don't know either but I like the idea of 2 teams going to the NIT however I'm only thinking NCAAT it's been a long time. I'm sure Evan would have an answer for this!
The seasons Hofstra was in the CAA that CAA got 2 NIT teams were 2009-2010, 2006-2007, 2005-2006, 2004-2005 (3 teams), and 2003-2004. It happened four consecutive seasons but only once in the last ten complete seasons.

Even with a CAA Final loss, I doubt Hofstra will make the NIT. I'm hoping for the CIT or CBI. Even if those tournaments cost money, Hofstra should pay if Gustys doesn't break Robinson's career rebounding record in Charleston. If Hofstra doesn't win the CAA Tournament and Gustys doesn't break the record there, wouldn't breaking the record at home in the CIT or CBI be better than breaking it away in the NIT?
Last edited by EvanJ on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

I am excited. I wrote this team off weeks ago, and they have pleasantly surprised me. Do I think we win the tournament? No. Y'all should thank me for that though. I always think were going to win it all. I am amped though. Just so upset I am missing it again this year.
krood

Post by krood »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:

Yes excellent point Wags I wasn't even thinking about how tight these guys appear to be and focused on one goal. Let's hope they can see this thru to fruition it would be a great college basketball story especially for us fans.
Happy to read that this blog is excited and positive about the Tourney!!

IMO, our success will be determined by:

[*]JWR continuing his CAA-MVP season
[*]Gustys staying out of foul trouble
[*]Buie continuing to lead
Most importantly:
[*]closing- we've lead CoC twice and surrendered big leads
[*]Lastly, FT's - Gustys is very susceptible to Hack a Rock, and JWR seems to be 'in his head' lately on the FT line.....

If we get to the Finals, we will beat CoC in Game #3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

awesome to have a former player on this board!
Wags

Post by Wags »

krood wrote: IMO, our success will be determined by:

[*]JWR continuing his CAA-MVP season
[*]Gustys staying out of foul trouble
[*]Buie continuing to lead
Most importantly:
[*]closing- we've lead CoC twice and surrendered big leads
[*]Lastly, FT's - Gustys is very susceptible to Hack a Rock, and JWR seems to be 'in his head' lately on the FT line.....

If we get to the Finals, we will beat CoC in Game #3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Surprised no mention of Pemberton here as a key. He HAS to be a consistent, reliable second option/first main complement to JWF every game if they are going to go far.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Elon continued to sink like a rock in the final week, losing at home to JMU tonight to fall all the way to 10th.
Prior to Saturday night, Elon had a chance, with two games at home in three days, to finish 5th.
Can't imagine this board had HU had that opportunity and finished 10th. lol

That also means Hofstra technically had a 13-point home loss to the worst team in the conference this year (although that was later avenged with a 19-point win on that team's floor).

Pairings are now set:
http://caasports.com/news/2018/2/26/caa ... s-set.aspx

Ignore the comment about W&M here, but these are the probabilities for each round:
https://twitter.com/kenpomeroy/status/9 ... 9855349760
Last edited by Wags on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Agreed. Eli and the improved play of Buie are why we have played so well in February. You can't key in on Justin defensively. In addition, Eli has gotten off to fast starts while Justin seems to need some time to get going.

Another huge factor has been the resugence of Jalen Ray...he has come in and really provided an offensive spark.

Also, another change has been Joe going to a four guard offense...that really seems to get us going offensively as long as Rok does not get in foul trouble. Huge drop off in rebounding with Rok on the bench.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:Agreed. Eli and the improved play of Buie are why we have played so well in February. You can't key in on Justin defensively. In addition, Eli has gotten off to fast starts while Justin seems to need some time to get going.
That's fine. That formula got HU within seconds of a CAA title two years ago, when Tanksley had it going earlier and then Juan'ya would often take over and bring it home late.