Men's Lacrosse 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Re: Men's Lacrosse 2018

Post by Hofstra »

Jojogunne wrote:Hofstra has the #1 defense in the country, and that's after playing three top 10 teams:

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-men ... t/team/229

Here are game highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLhPWjSi9Es

Kyle Gallagher was the man of the match, winning 13 of 20 draws, including seven in the first half that prevented UNC from scoring until the third quarter.
Number 1 defense in the country, sucks that its the wrong sport. LOL. Good win though. I am sure we will fumble it away and miss the tournament in heartbreaking fashion.
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

awesome win. i went with a bunch of friends. crowd was great. i think it was higher than what was listed. what a win.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Hofstra wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:Hofstra has the #1 defense in the country, and that's after playing three top 10 teams:

Kyle Gallagher was the man of the match, winning 13 of 20 draws, including seven in the first half that prevented UNC from scoring until the third quarter.
Number 1 defense in the country, sucks that its the wrong sport. LOL. Good win though. I am sure we will fumble it away and miss the tournament in heartbreaking fashion.
Now that's a great attitude. You sure you're not Polito?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

John can you blame us. BTW when was the last time we were in the NCAA tourney for mens lacrosse
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

HUSID74 wrote:
Hofstra wrote:

Now that's a great attitude. You sure you're not Polito?
Unfortunately that has been our reality as of late. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, you must post on FlyingDutchmenFans.com.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:John can you blame us. BTW when was the last time we were in the NCAA tourney for mens lacrosse
More recently than basketball...lol
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So true
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hey I'm barely even in this thread lol

Geez, you buddies with this guy too HUSID?!? ;)

Sure, keep that blind faith going and ignore the reality if that floats your boat - If you think ST is best for this lax program at this stage, knock yourself out with another year of it!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:Hey I'm barely even in this thread lol

Sure, keep that blind faith going and ignore the reality if that floats your boat - If you think ST is best for this lax program at this stage, knock yourself out with another year of it!
The team just beat #8 North Carolina for god sakes! Give it a rest!
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

HUSID74 wrote:
Polito wrote:Hey I'm barely even in this thread lol

The team just beat #8 North Carolina for god sakes! Give it a rest!
dont even respond to him anymore. im not.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Now HUSID, I didn't even say anything bud - YOU brought me up for no reason in response to Hofstra, just responding to the unnecessary trolling my friend 8-) - if I recall, you did the same thing to me after every single win last year too - of course it got real quiet at the end of the season... as it has for the last several years during the programs fall from greatness.

Some choose to turn a blind eye for a variety of interesting reasons. Others choose to call it out and help expose the nonsense.

Nothing wrong in the least with taking down UNC - top 10 W. HU has had plenty of those since before noclass was even a glimmer in mommy and daddys eye (<-trolling! lol) - but see the bottom line remains the same as every other year: let's talk again during the CAA tourney and NCAA selection. I'll be right here.

This is all par for the course under ST. We can all enjoy this particular W, it's a good one.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Polito wrote:Now HUSID, I didn't even say anything bud - YOU brought me up for no reason in response to Hofstra, just responding to the unnecessary trolling my friend 8-) - if I recall, you did the same thing to me after every single win last year too - of course it got real quiet at the end of the season... as it has for the last several years during the programs fall from greatness.

Some choose to turn a blind eye for a variety of interesting reasons. Others choose to call it out and help expose the nonsense.

Nothing wrong in the least with taking down UNC - top 10 W. HU has had plenty of those since before noclass was even a glimmer in mommy and daddys eye (<-trolling! lol) - but see the bottom line remains the same as every other year: let's talk again during the CAA tourney and NCAA selection. I'll be right here.

This is all par for the course under ST. We can all enjoy this particular W, it's a good one.
If I recall, UNC was number 1 in the nation last year, and we beat them. We failed to make the NCAA's. It's OK to be down on a program after being let down time and time again. Polito, I am sure you would LOVE Hofstra to make the dance, but you wait for the Hofstra to happen. Maybe a full court shot to walk off in the tourney like last years team had done against them.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

The problem is that in men's lacrosse, this school and this team's goal shouldn't just be to MAKE the tournament. In basketball, we all know the deal. Make it, win a game, MAYBE two, get all excited. But lacrosse should be a contender for a national championship, and the closest they ever get now is potentially hosting the team that wins it all in the quarterfinals.
Polito

Post by Polito »

BOOM. And HH comes out of nowhere to drop the mic.

I see a lot of claims jumping the gun about people 'getting it', usually in response to posts that are actually only about half right lol, BUT this one right here is gold. HH keeping it 100, props my friend for bringing the truth.

Now, queue the standard lax excuses used every year in response in 3...2...1...

The anticipation of who will be first is exciting!
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Everyone knows the deal, you can be negative, and just say I told you so at the end of the year, or enjoy the ride.

At least we put together a really good schedule this year, and we've already fought off some key injuries to get back to back blowout wins, back in the top 20 at #19.

Tonight's game is postponed until tomorrow: http://gohofstra.com/news/2018/3/13/men ... esday.aspx

Anyone hear about a makeup date with Georgetown??
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Once upon a time, when no one else was playing lacrosse, Hofstra was a top team. Did you know that Hofstra hosted the very first NCAA championship game, in 1971 (Cornell beat Maryland, 12-6)? And that one of our own players won the first Tewaaraton Award (Doug Shanahan, 2001)?

Since those days, many other big schools have added MLAX, and the sport has grown rapidly among high schools around the country. Today, most of the best players come from somewhere other than LI. Just look at the AA rosters. And competition for good players has become more intense.

Hofstra is now a mid-major lacrosse program, not a "power five" program (or whatever the lacrosse equivalent is). Who would choose us over Duke, Maryland, Johns Hopkins, Denver, Hardvard, Yale, etc.? (Albany and Stony Brook, with much-lower tuition for in-state athletes, are in a different class.)

We have a good team that can beat some of these big schools on any given day (and we currently boast the #1 defense among all 70 D1 teams). But we are not going to keep all the LI all-stars home. They want to go away and play on the big stage.

I enjoy watching every Hofstra game. My heart has been broken many times when our season ended prematurely. At the same time, there have been thrilling wins over JHU, UVA and other "name" programs.

I'm happy to talk lax on this board, but I'm not going to engage in program-bashing.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Well said Jojogunne. The college lacrosse landscape has changed a lot in the last couple decades and made it harder for Hofstra to make NCAAs. Hopefully they will expand the field soon. We also hurt by top teams we used to play regularly like Johns Hopkins, Army, Princeton and UNC after this season making RPI and SOS a major challenge ans giving us very little margin for error.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Thanks for such thoughtful posts Jojo and Pride. Totally agree the lacrosse land escape has changed...how many D 1 teams are there now? And as the number has grown the tournament has not kept pace. Add to this the caliber of schools now contending, Big Ten et al and making the Dance is Very different than even five years ago.

Add what you mentioned about the outflow of talent off the Island and were in a tough spot. Kudos to Seth Tierney for the quality of the program he runs and the results. By the way his winning percentage at Hofstra is something like 62 per cent.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Good points all JoJo. I'd class Hofstra lax more as a low-major rather than a mid-major due to the age and pedigree of the program. Hofstra is still not a BU or Jacksonville or the like and can still get it on with the big boys more often than not. Every year there is a win over the likes of Notre Dame, UNC, Duke, etc. Tierney has a tougher job than prior HU coaches based on a changed lacrosse landscape, rising costs, and tremendous competition, but Hofstra also has more to offer a recruit than its ever had. Hofstra needs to get back to the dance for a sustained period and the recruits will come.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Jojo,

I like this post quite a bit, as shocked as that may make you. You note some real elements that I and others are well aware of. But there are two key aspects that I think need addressing that you did not:

1) HU has failed to adapt to the changing environment. They allowed the world to change and did absolutely NOTHING to move with it. Cannot be ok with that. It's not like HU was blindsided, this shift was loud and clear and occurred over YEARS. This is a fail by HU, plain and simple.

2) This is absolutely not 'program-bashing', this is about seeking a change and/or improvement in leadership. There is a BIG difference, and one that many around here fail to acknowledge or admit. I'd like to see folks learn it, and be mature enough to speak to it instead of ignoring it or protecting friends.

Some are WAY too quick to cast aside literally any and all fair criticism, and I'm sorry that does nothing to help this program. This program needs help, needs improvement, and likely needs change to do so.