Men's Lacrosse 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

Re: Men's Lacrosse 2018

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I think we overstate our importance in the lacrosse world. We never made a final four once in program history. Cortland State has more D-1 Final Fours than us.

There was a point a few years ago where I thought we were slipping, especially as the Big East and Big Ten conferences formed, and our schedule looked real weak. I think we're on a good path again though, I think Tierney's hitting his stride, I've liked the talent he's brought in the past few years, a lot more size. I like the scheduling as well, top 20 schedule, good mix of opponents.

We got 3k in attendance at the UNC game in early March, I don't care who the opponent is, that's a good crowd. Hopefully we can reschedule that Georgetown game in late April, as we have our last two CAA games on the road, that will bring in another nice crowd. I think there is solid interest and buzz around the program again.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:Jojo,

I like this post quite a bit, as shocked as that may make you. You note some real elements that I and others are well aware of. But there are two key aspects that I think need addressing that you did not:

1) HU has failed to adapt to the changing environment. They allowed the world to change and did absolutely NOTHING to move with it. Cannot be ok with that. It's not like HU was blindsided, this shift was loud and clear and occurred over YEARS. This is a fail by HU, plain and simple.

2) This is absolutely not 'program-bashing', this is about seeking a change and/or improvement in leadership. There is a BIG difference, and one that many around here fail to acknowledge or admit. I'd like to see folks learn it, and be mature enough to speak to it instead of ignoring it or protecting friends.

Some are WAY too quick to cast aside literally any and all fair criticism, and I'm sorry that does nothing to help this program. This program needs help, needs improvement, and likely needs change to do so.

Again my friend well over the top...this program, with its "poor" leadership has beaten NC three times in the past three years. Last year we beat them as defending national champions at their place. If we had done that in basketball you would have gone nuts!

Your criticism is way out of line here and as we've seen time and time again, elsewhere as well.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

John I would not say over the top. It is justified. I said a while back that Hofstra is reactive instead of Proactive.when it comes to the changing scene of lax in this country. More and More larger schools will be adding lax to their sports programs.We have to adjust by recruiting that much better if we want to keep up. Yes we beat some very good teams. we have also lost to teams in recent years who have little to no history of being good. fairfield, St johns and marquette ( who were in the their second year of existence).How do we recruit better? Well money (budget) is a good start.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Throwing your hands up and saying "well, Big 10 schools are in it now, so we don't have a chance" should not and CANNOT be the mentality you go forward with. It's still lacrosse. You can talk about the cost of the school and whatever, but there's enough scholarships out there to attract a top end player by eliminating the expense. If there's a way they can get the Charles Jenkins of the world, they can get top end lacrosse players. I can't see what the selling point of Loyola over Hofstra is, but somehow they were able to win a national championship.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

HofstraHockey wrote:Throwing your hands up and saying "well, Big 10 schools are in it now, so we don't have a chance" should not and CANNOT be the mentality you go forward with. It's still lacrosse. You can talk about the cost of the school and whatever, but there's enough scholarships out there to attract a top end player by eliminating the expense. If there's a way they can get the Charles Jenkins of the world, they can get top end lacrosse players. I can't see what the selling point of Loyola over Hofstra is, but somehow they were able to win a national championship.
Nobody's throwing up their arms and quitting. It's just that the game has changed. It's also much tougher to get into the Tournament. Hopefully the NCAA will rectify that soon.

There is no way Hofstra should have not gotten in last year after a ten game winning streak, victories against some top teams and a national ranking as high as #2 in the country.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

HofstraHockey wrote:Throwing your hands up and saying "well, Big 10 schools are in it now, so we don't have a chance" should not and CANNOT be the mentality you go forward with. It's still lacrosse. You can talk about the cost of the school and whatever, but there's enough scholarships out there to attract a top end player by eliminating the expense. If there's a way they can get the Charles Jenkins of the world, they can get top end lacrosse players. I can't see what the selling point of Loyola over Hofstra is, but somehow they were able to win a national championship.
I don't think anyone here is throwing up their hands and giving up, I think it's more of an acknowledgement that lacrosse is becoming more of a national sport on the HS and College level.

One positive is that as more P5 schools add lacrosse, like Michigan for example, they cannibalize the other power conference program's recruits, and probably create more parity overall. That helps us being located in a major lacrosse hotbed. Like the local recruits going to Hofstra, probably wanted to stay local. The recruits that would normally just go to the Ivies and ACC, are now going to the Big East and Big Ten more frequently, and it gives us an opportunity to become relatively more competitive.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We survive and beat Monmouth 7-6. Not a good sign. This is a team we should blowout out. Still a win is a win
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

stuball888 wrote:We survive and beat Monmouth 7-6. Not a good sign. This is a team we should blowout out. Still a win is a win
i think there were a lot of injuries.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Tierney kavanaugh most of the starters played. Can you tell me who was out?
HofstraPride1

Men's Lacrosse 2018

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:Tierney kavanaugh most of the starters played. Can you tell me who was out?
Alderman was out after hurting hamstring against UNC. Monmouth is much better than their record and nearly beat Princeton earlier in season so was very worried about this game and am relieved we came away with the win. Providence is another dangerous game Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

To quote someone from the past and a long forgotten sport at Hostra, "Just win baby."
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Was Moeser out also?
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I believe he was, got hurt in the second quarter.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Seth really needs to get his second team and lines in order. Injuries are going to happen and can’t aleays use that as an excuse if you want to have a successful season
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:Seth really needs to get his second team and lines in order. Injuries are going to happen and can’t aleays use that as an excuse if you want to have a successful season
You should call him and tell him...maybe he doesn't realize that LOL...Who's using it as an excuse???? Certainly not Seth. He tried a bunch of different combinations at middie yesterday, gave a lot of kids some burn. Fact is about four-five of our shots hit the pipe; a couple of those go in and it looks like a very different game.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Agreed but I was at the game and saw a lot of missed chances close I when some of the second liners could not handle the entry pass BT took about 1/3 of the shots Hofstra was credited for that says a lot about he confidenc in the second line mayers
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

stuball888 wrote:Agreed but I was at the game and saw a lot of missed chances close I when some of the second liners could not handle the entry pass BT took about 1/3 of the shots Hofstra was credited for that says a lot about he confidenc in the second line mayers
tolmie missed one entry pass yesterday. and you know what happened the second chance he got? he scored the game winning goal. what other entry passes did we miss? as said above we hit a ton of pipes.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Nice win at Providence today. Down 6-5 at half and outscore PU 7-3 in the 2nd. Kyle Gallagher really stepping up.
With injuries, young players getting a lot of play. Frosh Canadian Dylan McIntosh with 4 goals. Dom Pryor another Frosh playing a lot and better. 2 more non-conference games (Lehigh and the Johnnies) and on to CAA play.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Injuries are going to happen. You need to get your second liners playing time so they can step in when someone goes down. Practice is one thing but nothing is like fame experience. In the past Seth has used especially his first midfield like a one truck pony and would run them into the ground. Remember the late fourth quarter collapses last year. Hopefully he will have more faith in his depth this year
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Good to see this team finding itself. Great defense/goal tending in the second half. Great formula for road wins.