Hofstra Players In 2017-2018 CAA Awards

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Hofstra Players In 2017-2018 CAA Awards

Post by triplec2195 »

triplec2195 wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:Pusica deserves it, he's been on fire. I'd love to see JWF on the 1st team, Pemba 2nd, Rok 3rd. All three stepped up their games in conference play significantly.

Ray should be on the rookie team too. Overall a great year for our guys, they deserve some individual accolades.
I'm in the Justin camp and believe he deserves to win such a complete and exciting player but all due respect to Pusica who certainly has very impressive numbers!!
OK well I'm not going to say I told u so or pat myself on the back but a believer even when others had me re-thinking my convictions and Polito too for continuing to believe. I want to keep the positive vibes flowing so kudos to JWF who in the opinion of the people that vote was the best player in this conference. I would love to know how the vote broke down per player. When you stop to think about the really great players in this conference and consider that Justin has been voted better then these players you realize how special this award is and how special a player he is. Also how lucky we're to have him playing for us! Congrats to ROK for a really solid year and who I hope makes history here within the next few games and congrats to JR who is an up and coming star who we'll have the pleasure of watching for the next 3 years. I'm going to stick to my guns and still remain steadfast on EP making the All CAA team. This is a team sport and now the focus is on winning the conference championship. The individual accolades are nice but we need a taste of the NCAAT and considering that ROK, Eli and Buie are playing their best basketball now we have to be in the conversation for winning this whole thing. I like Justin doing his thing as just one of the five starters on the floor not having to score 30 or more points unless it's absolutely necessary. Let's go Dutchmen and win this thing!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

triplec2195 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:Pusica deserves it, he's been on fire. I'd love to see JWF on the 1st team, Pemba 2nd, Rok 3rd. All three stepped up their games in conference play significantly.

Ray should be on the rookie team too. Overall a great year for our guys, they deserve some individual accolades.
I'm in the Justin camp and believe he deserves to win such a complete and exciting player but all due respect to Pusica who certainly has very impressive numbers!!
OK well I'm not going to say I told u so or pat myself on the back but a believer even when others had me re-thinking my convictions and Polito too for continuing to believe. I want to keep the positive vibes flowing so kudos to JWF who in the opinion of the people that vote was the best player in this conference. I would love to know how the vote broke down per player. When you stop to think about the really great players in this conference and consider that Justin has been voted better then these players you realize how special this award is and how special a player he is. Also how lucky we're to have him playing for us! Congrats to ROK for a really solid year and who I hope makes history here within the next few games and congrats to JR who is an up and coming star who we'll have the pleasure of watching for the next 3 years. I'm going to stick to my guns and still remain steadfast on EP making the All CAA team. This is a team sport and now the focus is on winning the conference championship. The individual accolades are nice but we need a taste of the NCAAT and considering that ROK, Eli and Buie are playing their best basketball now we have to be in the conversation for winning this whole thing. I like Justin doing his thing as just one of the five starters on the floor not having to score 30 or more points unless it's absolutely necessary. Let's go Dutchmen and win this thing!!
Just saw this on gohofstra; vote totals
PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Justin Wright‐Foreman, HU 14
Vasa Pusica, NU 11
Joe Chealey, CofC 8
Grant Riller, CofC 6
Jarrell Brantley, CofC 1
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: Just saw this on gohofstra; vote totals
PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Vasa Pusica, NU 11
Joe Chealey, CofC 8
Grant Riller, CofC 6
Jarrell Brantley, CofC 1
Thank you for posting that. I see that Hofstra has all the vote totals at http://gohofstra.com/documents/2018/3/1 ... AAlist.pdf which says Pemberton was the top player off the Third Team. The Third Team had 6 players because there was a tie for 15th, with Pemberton 17th. Gustys was 14th. Tyler Seibring was last on the Second Team, and he was closer to Mike Morsell 8 spots below him than to Jarrell Brantley 1 spot above him. Brantley had 304 points and Seibring had 165. Brantley was the same amount away from Devontae Cacok 4 spots above him and last on the First Team and from Seibring 1 spot below him. Nathan Knight, the top player on the Second Team, was closer to JWF than to his teammates David Cohn and Justin Pierce, who were tied for the top of the Third Team. Ten players got points without making one of the teams, and Pemberton had more points than the next four players combined. After him, Mike Morsell, Ryan Allen, Shawn Occeus, Matt Lewis, Connor Burchfield, Dainan Swoope, Eric Carter, Austin Williams, and Kurk Lee got points. William & Mary had 4 players get points, and every other team had 2 or 3 players get points.

There were 40 voters. For the CAA teams, each voter ranked 15 players from 15 points for first to 1 point for fifteenth. POY and CAA team voting were separate. Brantley got 1 POY vote and was on the Second Team, while Cacok was the only First Team player without a POY vote. The team voting adds up to 4,800 points, so the mean is 480. JWF, Gustys, and Pemberton combined for 738 points, which is 15.4% of the total. Here is how many points each team got:

Charleston: 1,206
Hofstra: 738
William & Mary: 670
UNC Wilmington: 537
Northeastern: 511
Towson: 359
Drexel: 333
Elon: 170
James Madison: 165
Delaware: 111

Ray was the bottom player on the Rookie Team with 73 points, but the next most points was 13. The Rookie of the Year votes were 24 for Ryan Allen, 14 for Matt Lewis, and 1 each for Tomas Murphy and Ray.

Gustys was the top player off the Defensive Team. He got 1 vote for Defensive Player of the Year, which ranked fourth. He also got 1 vote for Sixth Man of the Year, which ranked fifth. He was the only player to get a Rookie team point and a Sixth Man vote. For Defensive team, Pemberton tied for 16th and Trueheart tied for 23rd.

Coen got most of the Coach of the Year votes with 29. Grant got 8, Shaver got 2, and Spiker got 1.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: Just saw this on gohofstra; vote totals
PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Vasa Pusica, NU 11
Joe Chealey, CofC 8
Grant Riller, CofC 6
Jarrell Brantley, CofC 1
Thank you for posting that. I see that Hofstra has all the vote totals at http://gohofstra.com/documents/2018/3/1 ... AAlist.pdf which says Pemberton was the top player off the Third Team. The Third Team had 6 players because there was a tie for 15th, with Pemberton 17th. Gustys was 14th. Tyler Seibring was last on the Second Team, and he was closer to Mike Morsell 8 spots below him than to Jarrell Brantley 1 spot above him. Brantley had 304 points and Seibring had 165. Brantley was the same amount away from Devontae Cacok 4 spots above him and last on the First Team and from Seibring 1 spot below him. Nathan Knight, the top player on the Second Team, was closer to JWF than to his teammates David Cohn and Justin Pierce, who were tied for the top of the Third Team. Ten players got points without making one of the teams, and Pemberton had more points than the next four players combined. After him, Mike Morsell, Ryan Allen, Shawn Occeus, Matt Lewis, Connor Burchfield, Dainan Swoope, Eric Carter, Austin Williams, and Kurk Lee got points. William & Mary had 4 players get points, and every other team had 2 or 3 players get points.

There were 40 voters. For the CAA teams, each voter ranked 15 players from 15 points for first to 1 point for fifteenth. POY and CAA team voting were separate. Brantley got 1 POY vote and was on the Second Team, while Cacok was the only First Team player without a POY vote. The team voting adds up to 4,800 points, so the mean is 480. JWF, Gustys, and Pemberton combined for 738 points, which is 15.4% of the total. Here is how many points each team got:

Charleston: 1,206
Hofstra: 738
William & Mary: 670
UNC Wilmington: 537
Northeastern: 511
Towson: 359
Drexel: 333
Elon: 170
James Madison: 165
Delaware: 111

Ray was the bottom player on the Rookie Team with 73 points, but the next most points was 13. The Rookie of the Year votes were 24 for Ryan Allen, 14 for Matt Lewis, and 1 each for Tomas Murphy and Ray.

Gustys was the top player off the Defensive Team. He got 1 vote for Defensive Player of the Year, which ranked fourth. He also got 1 vote for Sixth Man of the Year, which ranked fifth. He was the only player to get a Rookie team point and a Sixth Man vote. For Defensive team, Pemberton tied for 16th and Trueheart tied for 23rd.

Coen got most of the Coach of the Year votes with 29. Grant got 8, Shaver got 2, and Spiker got 1.
Eli had 18 fewer votes to finish 17th in the voting for the all CAA team and it seemed that the first half of the CAA season he wasn't particularly playing well but the second half of the season was a tale of two different halves. When the season was over he had better stats in most categories then Daly. IMO Pemberton is a more athletic player and has far more upside then Daly. Daly deserved the rookie of the year last year but Pemberton should have been on the third team this year.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HU may not have won the CAA tourney yet, but we've been very fortunate to see some of the league's very best players compete in Hofstra jerseys.

This is a great testament to HU's recruiting, at least in terms of finding the very best talent in the CAA, if not recruiting talent that has danced yet:

* JWF's POY selection gives Hofstra the second-most POY awards in CAA history (5), just one behind George Mason.
* Hofstra has the most POY awards in the CAA since HU joined the conference. The next closest is still a member no longer playing in the league, VCU (3).
* Hofstra has almost half of the last 12 CAA POY awards (Stokes, Jenkins twice, Green, Wright-Foreman).
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:HU may not have won the CAA tourney yet, but we've been very fortunate to see some of the league's very best players compete in Hofstra jerseys.

This is a great testament to HU's recruiting, at least in terms of finding the very best talent in the CAA, if not recruiting talent that has danced yet:

* JWF's POY selection gives Hofstra the second-most POY awards in CAA history (5), just one behind George Mason.
* Hofstra has the most POY awards in the CAA since HU joined the conference. The next closest is still a member no longer playing in the league, VCU (3).
* Hofstra has almost half of the last 12 CAA POY awards (Stokes, Jenkins twice, Green, Wright-Foreman).
Good pic of HU's 4 POY winners:
https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/9 ... 0080922624
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
Wags wrote:HU may not have won the CAA tourney yet, but we've been very fortunate to see some of the league's very best players compete in Hofstra jerseys.

Good pic of HU's 4 POY winners:
https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/9 ... 0080922624
Awesome proud to be a Hofstra alumnus and die hard HU sports fan.