Men's Basketball Schedule 2022-2023

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: Men's Basketball Schedule 2022-2023

Post by Polito »

Yeah, gotta believe there's 1-2 more home games there.

Is it too late to jump in a tourney? Presuming so, but not positive... they really need to do that. Should be a focus starting now for next year. I don't know why this program always seems to not be in them... can't recall many - maybe there's a good explanation, but makes no sense to me. And it better not be $ - plenty of mids make it happen every year, including many of our opponents and/or conf peers. Gotta get practice playing 3-4 in the same number of days instead of crossing fingers during the conf tourney. This program has fizzled out too many times when they should have powered through. Get them some PREP. Esp now with even more teams in this conf... baffling to me.

And if not a tourney, how about an overseas trip?? Mids do that too, including Iona. That's another super way to gain experience, play a lot in a short period of time, and work out the kinks BEFORE the season begins. Another head scratcher to me, why isn't HU doing that either?

C'mon Speedy, love this schedule, but these are big gaps in this day and age in the sport. This is one of those show me 'all in' / true flagship commitment - this is HU's only golden egg w/no football, gotta go full tilt with it.

For standalones, in addition to those mentioned, on the road I def wouldn't mind a BC w/Earl Grant or another west coast team like San Diego St.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Polito wrote:Yeah, gotta believe there's 1-2 more home games there.

Is it too late to jump in a tourney? Presuming so, but not positive... they really need to do that. Should be a focus starting now for next year. I don't know why this program always seems to not be in them... can't recall many - maybe there's a good explanation, but makes no sense to me. And it better not be $ - plenty of mids make it happen every year, including many of our opponents and/or conf peers. Gotta get practice playing 3-4 in the same number of days instead of crossing fingers during the conf tourney. This program has fizzled out too many times when they should have powered through. Get them some PREP. Esp now with even more teams in this conf... baffling to me.

And if not a tourney, how about an overseas trip?? Mids do that too, including Iona. That's another super way to gain experience, play a lot in a short period of time, and work out the kinks BEFORE the season begins. Another head scratcher to me, why isn't HU doing that either?

C'mon Speedy, love this schedule, but these are big gaps in this day and age in the sport. This is one of those show me 'all in' / true flagship commitment - this is HU's only golden egg w/no football, gotta go full tilt with it.

For standalones, in addition to those mentioned, on the road I def wouldn't mind a BC w/Earl Grant or another west coast team like San Diego St.
I believe the rule for the early season tournaments is 2 in any 4 year period. We did one in 2020-21 (New Jersey Hoop Group Classic). So I think we could do one this year or next year but not both years.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Got it, thanks HM, appreciate the context. HU needs to maximize that allowance and get in another one for sure - great preparation.

Wonder the rules on overseas trips... teams do it a lot now in the summer, curious if there are any guidelines/limitations/etc. on that front. Would be a great thing for the program and team (and fans!) at some point.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:Got it, thanks HM, appreciate the context. HU needs to maximize that allowance and get in another one for sure - great preparation.

Wonder the rules on overseas trips... teams do it a lot now in the summer, curious if there are any guidelines/limitations/etc. on that front. Would be a great thing for the program and team (and fans!) at some point.
Polito, I think you can only do an international trip every five years...I beleive we went to Canada several years ago, not totally sure though.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Looks like we are headed to a Thanksgiving weekend tournament

Northern Classic
Friday–Sunday, November 25–27: Laval, Quebec, Canada (Rocco Miller via Twitter; College Basketball Advancement via Twitter; Runnin’ Hoops Podcast with contract info for SFA; Rocco Miller update, update 2)

Participants (5?): Hofstra (Colonial), Middle Tennessee (C-USA), Quinnipiac (Metro Atlantic), Stephen F. Austin (WAC), UNC Greensboro (Southern), others TBA?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Nice find; assuming that is a 3 game tournament we would be allowed have up to a 28 game schedule in addition to this tournament. Right now we have 26 games on the schedule. So probably 2 more games to be announced.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Always wondered how HU would do against the OVC - may finally get to find out
Polito

Post by Polito »

Oh baby, love it! I am on FIRE lol - let me reiterate my other asks: CAA championships and NCAAT berths! Make it happen Speedy! :D

Great job by the staff - it's not a killer or well-known tournament, but that's ok, it's a tournament with some decent mid competition (more to be added I'm sure), it's winnable, and it serves the purpose of practice and experience for the conf tourney end of the season, and that's what matters.

This staff has absolutely crushed the schedule, knocked it out of the park, with a couple more to go - they are executing on my biggest desires in the offseason, things I've asked for for years - have to say, I am extremely pleased and excited about what they've shown in recruiting and scheduling. Show me they can put it all together in a live season with strong leadership, in-game coaching, Xs and O's, player development, and a winning culture, and we've got something special.

Let's get another nice home game or two - if we're going mids, was thinking about Vermont today - sure would love a home game vs them again. That's a really really nice mid major program. They have had the success HU dreams of. Like Iona, but w/out the dirty feeling. Wouldn't mind having them back on now and then.

For bigs, not saying this would be at home, but opponent wise, one of PSU, UConn, Rutgers, BC still make sense to me.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:Looks like we are headed to a Thanksgiving weekend tournament

Northern Classic
Friday–Sunday, November 25–27: Laval, Quebec, Canada (Rocco Miller via Twitter; College Basketball Advancement via Twitter; Runnin’ Hoops Podcast with contract info for SFA; Rocco Miller update, update 2)

Participants (5?): Hofstra (Colonial), Middle Tennessee (C-USA), Quinnipiac (Metro Atlantic), Stephen F. Austin (WAC), UNC Greensboro (Southern), others TBA?
As this notes at the end...
https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 1458733057

There are still two additional games to be added to the 2022-23 schedule.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Wags wrote:
Cards wrote:Looks like we are headed to a Thanksgiving weekend tournament

Northern Classic

As this notes at the end...
https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 1458733057

There are still two additional games to be added to the 2022-23 schedule.
I hope not against D2/D3 schools but have a bad feeling at least one will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shbcpa85

Post by shbcpa85 »

I think one of the additional games should be out West. It makes no sense to fly out West for only the St Mary's game. Almost 6K miles for one game!!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Does UCLA want to rematch
shbcpa85

Post by shbcpa85 »

A short flight between schools
Polito

Post by Polito »

So many to choose from up and down that coast - can think of quite a few I’d gladly take, San Diego St, USC, Cal, San Fran, Pepperdine, Pacific, heck shoot up to Oregon, Oregon St, Washington or Wash st, or even Spokane and let’s play the Zags!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: or even Spokane and let’s play the Zags!
I love how the sentiment with OOC scheduling has changed from "Oh no, we're playing THEM?! We're going to get trounced!" years ago to, now, "Hey why not? Let's challenge ourselves. Bring on anyone and let's see what happens!" especially in the wake of beating the likes of UCLA and Arkansas and really pushing the likes of Houston, among others.

It's a great shift to see from the program in its scheduling and from the fanbase embracing that over the years.

And there's really no downside. No one recalls if a program like Hofstra loses or even gets blown out by a top national program, but it certainly helps put Hofstra on the map when they do come through with a big upset like they have in recent years. So, keep taking those shots!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

San Jose St. (a return game from the one they played in Hempstead) a few years back) and Old Westbury complete the non-conference schedule

https://gohofstra.com/news/2022/9/27/me ... unced.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cards

Post by Cards »

WOW Old Westbury on a Thursday at 11:30 am - should be a packed house :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, OCC looks to be pretty good challenge. That being said, wish we had more home games. :(
shbcpa85

Post by shbcpa85 »

I thought it would be a West Coast game in a previous post and its only one hour away from St Mary's. Perfect fit
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Cards wrote:WOW Old Westbury on a Thursday at 11:30 am - should be a packed house :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, OCC looks to be pretty good challenge. That being said, wish we had more home games. :(
It won't be packed at 7pm either and its a holiday week so maybe can get some kids that are off from school and wouldn't normally come to an evening game.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Blaahh garbage games - kind of a letdown to wrap it up, BUT all in all this is a super schedule so certainly can deal with it. Old Westbury should serve essentially as a scrimmage, play the whole roster, try some things out, etc.

The home slate is really the only area that's a major disappointment - not much of a sell for season ticket holder excitement. But I def get it, gotta get paid for the program, so the pay days make plenty of sense

Any secret insider info to actual scrimmages that typically take place behind closed doors this year??