Men's Basketball Schedule 2022-2023

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Men's Basketball Schedule 2022-2023

Post by Wags »

Make that TWO "George" schools this season:

Paying a visit to our old friends at George Mason this year.
https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 7177176067

On the whole, this might be one of the most interesting OOS schedules Hofstra has ever had. And that's saying something after winning at UCLA in recent years, and of course the Houston, Maryland, Arkansas games last year.

vs Iona
vs George Washington
@ Saint Mary's
@ George Mason
@ Purdue
vs UMass (at Barclays)
@ South Florida
Polito

Post by Polito »

Whoa baby, THIS is an OOC!! Loving it!! And digging the unveiling approach as well, strong showing on this front Speedy in year 2. So far recruiting and scheduling are showing the positive signs you want to see in the offseason...

How many more do we figure here? Is San Jose St a definite? Any tournaments possible?? Would really like that.

Locally are we gonna finally get SJU, the Hall, or UConn? Rutgers again? Maybe Providence or URI - Perhaps BC with former CC Grant being there... a Philly team perhaps, or further away? Would of course prefer to see another strong home game - gotta give season tickets holders a reason to invest with something cool to see.

I'm also liking the A10 flavor, keep locking in there - audition ourselves for membership.

By the way, did we properly welcome ecasadoSBU to the board? If not, welcome, nice to meet ya, always good to have more peeps on. Can't say I share your excitement about SBU being in the CAA, but I do get it - it is what it is now, and I'll embrace it - should definitely make the matchup more interesting, and fuel a more true rivalry.

Don't be a stranger, post away. The season is quickly approaching, the more action the better!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Besides Hofstra at George Mason, Old Dominion is also playing five former CAA foes (George Mason, Drexel, William & Mary, Charleston and East Carolina) next season. I like when schools renew old rivalries (even if just for a game) with their OOC slates.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Also would like to see us play some Philly schools get back playing Temple and I would imagine it won't be long before we start playing LaSalle with JAM there now.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:Also would like to see us play some Philly schools
The should seek to make up for one game against a Philly school since the usual two against Drexel is down to one next season.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Also would like to see us play some Philly schools
The should seek to make up for one game against a Philly school since the usual two against Drexel is down to one next season.
Absolutely I like renewing the rivalry and it would also help with recruiting in the Philly area as well.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Can we actually play Drexel a second time but have it count as an OOC game
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:Can we actually play Drexel a second time but have it count as an OOC game
Highly doubt it...let's play LaSalle!
Cards

Post by Cards »

lets play Temple!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

GoHofstra has the complete OOC and CAA schedule -- 25 games in all -- but nothing at home between Nov. 14 (GWU) and Dec. 31 (NC A&T). Hope we can add one or two home games in December:

https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:Besides Hofstra at George Mason, Old Dominion is also playing five former CAA foes (George Mason, Drexel, William & Mary, Charleston and East Carolina) next season. I like when schools renew old rivalries (even if just for a game) with their OOC slates.
On the other hand, George Mason and James Madison are not playing this season - notable because they played at least once in 51 of the past 53 seasons, with the only exceptions being the Covid 2020-21 season and the year after Mason left the CAA.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Jojogunne wrote:GoHofstra has the complete OOC and CAA schedule -- 25 games in all -- but nothing at home between Nov. 14 (GWU) and Dec. 31 (NC A&T). Hope we can add one or two home games in December:

https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Typically, HU has an OOC of 12-13 games. We should be adding at least another 5 games. One will likely be an exhibition game against a DII or DIII (that will be a home "game"). Probably a game or two against a MAAC type team (maybe an IVY or Patriot). Would love to get another A10 home game (St Bon would be a good one).
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Can we actually play Drexel a second time but have it count as an OOC game
That is allowed, but I doubt we will.

The CAA shrunk the season from ten weeks to nine weeks. Games are from Wednesday December 28 through Saturday February 25. Defining a week as Monday to Saturday (there are not any Sunday games), the weeks have 11, 12, 12, 17, 12, 11, 12, 18, and 12 games. It is an increase from 90 games to 117 games. The CAA Tournament will last five days starting Friday March 3.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Of the 8 games in February 5 are home, at Stony Brook, at Monmouth and at Northeastern. Pretty easy schedule from a travel standpoint to end the season. Only Northeastern would be an overnight trip for the team (I assume).

Did the CAA release the bracket for the CAA tournament? I am thinking first round is 12 v 13, second round is 5 v 12/13, 6 v 11, 7 v 10 and 8 v 9, then quarterfinals are top 4 vs the winners of second round? If that is the case it will be key to get the top 4 spot and avoid the extra games.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Tournament is Friday -> Tuesday BTW.
A standard 13 team bracket would have the first 3 teams getting byes and 4-13 playing for the other 5 to get you to a round of 8, but that doesn't work with 5 days of games, unless they split up the 4-13/5-12/6-11/7-10/8-9 first round games into two days. A 12-13 on Friday very likely kicks off the tournament like you mentioned, with 4 byes into the round of 8. Further evidence is the games on the Hofstra site are listed first round, second round, quarters, and so on.
So assuming that's the setup, I agree, very important for a top 4 finish to have a max of 3 games Sun -> Tues.
Polito

Post by Polito »

There will def be more games added, HU has already stated such publicly, which is great news.

Frankly, I'd like to see PSU (Farrelly of course, and Speedy must know Shrewsbury somehow from NBA connections), and UConn (that program is making a comeback, let's get em now).

I would rather we keep the D2 stuff to scrimmages, but I def get it if there are relationships we are throwing a bone to - just not a fan, it's a waste of a game. Prefer to play an NEC school to tune up, keep it D1. But not a huge issue either way I suppose...

HU needs more on the home slate as well. Plenty of good regionals still that will work. And I would love to get Seton Hall on. Perhaps Speedy and Halloway have a connection?

SJU have given up, screw 'em. Would take Rutgers anytime again. Or the Ivy's - really like the Princetons or Harvards - the programs that have some national hoops teeth.

Selfishly, would go bananas to have a VT <> HU matchup!!! Hokies are going to be very good again, program is legit under MY. 8-)
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: really like the Princetons or Harvards - the programs that have some national hoops teeth.
Ask and you shall receive:

Hofstra is opening the season at Princeton on Mon 11/7.

And, as Speedy noted: "It will also be a special time to be at Princeton as we all remember and honor a coaching legend in Pete Carril."

It's now EIGHT intriguing OOC matchups before CAA play. Hopefully, their finals in the classroom aren't as tough as this test of eight games before CAA play:

@ Princeton
vs Iona
vs George Washington
@ Saint Mary's
@ George Mason
@ Purdue
vs UMass (at Barclays)
@ South Florida
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ha love it!

Hm…. Let’s see, I also prefer conf championships and NCAAT runs! :D

This might be the best OOC this program has put together, with more to go. I guess programs aren’t ‘afraid to play HU’ after all, wow who knew?!? :P major kudos to this staff, THIS is how it’s supposed to be done, and always knew it could be - a breath of fresh air to not hear the bs excuses and also not play half the MAAC - keep it coming guys!!

The only things missing here are: another quality home game or two, and a tournament. I really feel HU is dropping the ball there to test themselves in back to backs - big missed opp. Get in a 3 day deal and practice for your conf championship.

Exciting stuff, I really look forward to the drops, fun idea - this staff is acing the off-season so far…
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Still no home games between Nov. 14 (GWU) and Dec. 31 (NC A&T). That's a long time to be on the road.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

How about going to Rutgers
Coach Pikel never backs down from a challenge