6. Delaware
7. North Carolina A&T
8. Drexel
9. Stony Brook
10. Hampton
11. Monmouth
12. Elon
13. William & Mary

Do we know what teams we play twice, home only, and away only. I read that is remaining 18 CAA games, which means 6 opponents once and 6 opponents twice. Should our schedule be:

Northeastern, Stony Brook, Monmouth, Drexel, Delaware, and Towson twice
Of C of C and UNCW, NCA&T and Elon, and Hampton and W&M; go to one pair, host one pair, and host one team and go to the other team from one pair

There will be games with teams having unequal rest. I wonder if teams will occasionally have Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday road trips such as to Northeastern, us, and Stony Brook, or the three North Carolina teams. I also hope that there are little or no COVID postponements.
Cards

Re: Men's Basketball Schedule 2022-2023

Post by Cards »

So here are the HU CAA games for this season. Looks to be what was expected except for playing Drexel once and Hampton twice (thought that it would be the opposite).

2022-23 CAA Men's Basketball Opponents
Repeat opponents in bold

Hofstra
Home: Drexel, North Carolina A&T, UNCW, Delaware, Hampton, Monmouth, Northeastern, Stony Brook, Towson
Away: Charleston, Elon, William & Mary, Delaware, Hampton, Monmouth, Northeastern, Stony Brook, Towson
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:So here are the HU CAA games for this season. Looks to be what was expected except for playing Drexel once and Hampton twice (thought that it would be the opposite).

2022-23 CAA Men's Basketball Opponents
Repeat opponents in bold

Hofstra
Home: Drexel, North Carolina A&T, UNCW, Delaware, Hampton, Monmouth, Northeastern, Stony Brook, Towson
Away: Charleston, Elon, William & Mary, Delaware, Hampton, Monmouth, Northeastern, Stony Brook, Towson
Not a fan of Hampton and Monmouth home-and-homes without a home-and-home with Drexel, one of Hofstra's two biggest rivals all-time. But we knew that kind of thing would happen with a 13-team league.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Won't the schedule change year-to-year?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

As Wags said, if we only play Drexel once a year from now on, Delaware will get farther above Drexel as our most played opponent. Our next game against Delaware will be our 100th.

When the CAA had 12 teams, each team had five teams that they played twice a season. We don't know if teams will play the same six opponents twice a season and alternate home and away for the other six, or if teams will play the same opponent sometimes once and sometimes twice.

When the Preseason Poll, KenPom, and other rankings of teams come out, we can calculate each team's schedule difficulty if the predictions are correct.

The CAA redesigned their website.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Won't the schedule change year-to-year?
I think it will, probably on some kind of rotating basis. So maybe, next year, Hofstra has a home-and-home with Drexel again, and only one game with say, NC A&T or whoever. I just meant, to start things off with this new 13-team league, I don't like that our all-time biggest rival (at least in terms of games played only - debatable if Delaware is bigger, being second in games played and the two AE title games against them) is only one game while HU plays a brand new southern team like Hampton twice to start things off. On the plus side, avoiding a visit to Trask next season may help. Also not a fan of imbalanced schedules, but they certainly weren't going to play 24 league games, so it's just one of those things to accept with conference expansion to a number as big as 13 total teams.

Funny how things work out with conference changes and scheduling (both in conference and OOC) in a short time. Go back only two years - who foresaw two CAA games against Hampton, one against NC A&T and a road trip to Purdue? It's interesting though.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:https://twitter.com/Sctvman/status/1545830520352817152 predicts:

1. Towson
2. Hofstra
3. C of C
4. UNCW
5. Northeastern
6. Delaware
7. North Carolina A&T
8. Drexel
9. Stony Brook
10. Hampton
11. Monmouth
12. Elon
13. William & Mary

Do we know what teams we play twice, home only, and away only. I read that is remaining 18 CAA games, which means 6 opponents once and 6 opponents twice. Should our schedule be:

Northeastern, Stony Brook, Monmouth, Drexel, Delaware, and Towson twice
Of C of C and UNCW, NCA&T and Elon, and Hampton and W&M; go to one pair, host one pair, and host one team and go to the other team from one pair

There will be games with teams having unequal rest. I wonder if teams will occasionally have Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday road trips such as to Northeastern, us, and Stony Brook, or the three North Carolina teams. I also hope that there are little or no COVID postponements.
These predictions are rather meaningless as we have seen in the past but clearly Towson is the team to beat bringing back almost their entire starting team. They played well last year and we have to in a short period of team get new guys to learn to compliment each other and play as a team.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Wow! Adding a game at St. Mary's to the schedule. Nice add of a high mid Speedy!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

This will be another good test for our developing squad. Saint Mary's ranked 19th in the NCAA Net Standings in 2021-22:

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... t-rankings

The 26-8 Gaels also had some nice wins last year, defeating #1 Gonzaga in the final game of the regular season (before league playoffs) and beating Indiana in the NCAAT:

https://smcgaels.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Wags

Post by Wags »

As good as the St. Mary's program has been and as tough as it is to play in their gym, this may be technically be adding a high-quality mid-major game, but as far as testing the team, it's on par with adding a Top 25 Power 5 road game. Yet another great add to the schedule. Love Speedy's attitude in not backing down OOC and providing as many opportunities as possible to make some noise nationally since he took the helm last year.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Great add to the schedule...Polito are you out there?????
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Great news! Let's go make some headlines!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Nice work by Speedy and staff.
ecasadoSBU

Post by ecasadoSBU »

Hey guys. Decided to join this board as I'm hyped that Stony Brook will be conference rivals of Hofstra now.

I come from the SBUFan Board (I'm one of the mods there). I did my undergrad at Stony Brook (CompSci) and my MBA at Zarb School in Manhattan. While my heart is with the Seawolves I do also occasionally follow Hofstra Athletics (the old FB program, the MBB, and the MLax/WLax programs). Just wanted to say how excited I am that both of Long Island's DI programs will now have a yearly Home & Home Conference series!

Enjoy the summer. CBB is around the corner!
Polito

Post by Polito »

This is a GREAT add to the schedule, and makes the west coast trip worth it - HU, and any mid, should NEVER invest what it takes to go across the country to play garbage teams like San Jose St - that is ridiculous - you play those programs regionally, even locally if you can. You put the big trips and big bucks to the big name games - if you're going to Cali, you need to play the UCLA's, USC's, San Diego Sts, Cal's, Stanfords, etc. Even strong mids like San Fran, or mix in further up into the Oregon and Washington P5/Gonzaga programs if possible.

Saint Mary's fits the bill fantastically - and they will be transitioning a bit to new stars this year, with their main threats moving on. They still have a tremendous long-time coaching staff, so this will obviously be a very challenging game. But it's feasible to steal a W - they seem to have a couple of head-scratchers each year - they play typically methodical low scoring games, so they are susceptible to a misstep here and there when the O is light and the D isn't as effective as it needs to be. I haven't done the research so this may be purely my perception, but they 'feel' like a UR style to me - and if HU is firing on all cylindars, they can grab a high quality road W. Awesome OOC game!

From the poll HU hoops twitter put out, they seem to be teasing to another schedule announcement, perhaps even a home game - fingers crossed for another exciting add!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Home-and-home added with South Florida.

Mon 12/19 in Tampa this year.
TBD date at The Mack next year.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2022/8/2/men ... eries.aspx
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

South Florida though finished dead last in the conference last year at 8-23 and 3-15 in a tough conference for sure but to get teams from quality conferences to play in Hempstead is huge. It's the start of bringing in bigger and better opponents.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Who knows maybe we can get Cincinnati in a home and away or even Houston. We have had SMU here years ago when Bernardi played for them and how about reuniting an OLD rivalry with Temple who's in that conference. That would be interesting.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »