Men's Basketball Schedule 2022-2023

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Men's Basketball Schedule 2022-2023

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Just got off the phone and got access for two people which includes booze per Carla(beer and wine I imagine) which is great. I guess you can't bring kids into the lounge??
Great - I'll be seeing you there. Usually the wine/beer is on a separate line with a server handing it out. Unless things have changed, kids can be in the lounge, I've brought mine a number of times.
TY for the info. I guess I should pay the extra $250 for my third ticket just in case I have my granddaughter with us.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Looks like the away games on Saturday February 11 against Monmouth at 2:00 and on Saturday 18 against Stony Brook at 6:30 will be on SNY.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Any word on how secret scrimmages have gone? Did we play two? Is there still one to come?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The Shadow wrote: Looks like the away games on Saturday February 11 against Monmouth at 2:00 and on Saturday 18 against Stony Brook at 6:30 will be on SNY.
https://caasports.com/calendar.aspx?path=mbball says the 117 CAA games will have 15 on CBS Sports Network (including a game to be determined on the last day), 10 on SNY, and 9 on other regional sports networks.

Last season the CAA played the same amount of home and away games, including 9 hosting non-Division I teams. This season the CAA is on the road a lot more. Division I nonconference games are 30 percent at home, 52 percent away, and 18 percent neutral.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I went to the CAA schedule to find links to video. https://northernclassic.bethebeast.com/ ... f39d0eba60 charges $25 to watch our three games in Quebec. I am assuming it is round-robin with six games (four teams with each team playing in half of the games), and the $25 includes watching the whole tournament live and up to 90 days later.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:I went to the CAA schedule to find links to video. https://northernclassic.bethebeast.com/ ... f39d0eba60 charges $25 to watch our three games in Quebec. I am assuming it is round-robin with six games (four teams with each team playing in half of the games), and the $25 includes watching the whole tournament live and up to 90 days later.
TY for that info Evan that’s resourceful. I like to watch as many games as I can especially if they’re playing well.
Wags

Post by Wags »

UMass just started against Charlotte (at 1 pm) in the Myrtle Beach Invitational championship game on ESPN2 if anyone wants to get a look at them today before they play Hofstra on Dec 11 (of course, the Giants and Jets are both playing important games right now, too - something I didn't think I'd say about either team on Nov. 20!).

I expected HU to beat UMass, and they certainly still can, but UMass might be better than I previously thought. After losing by a dozen to Towson, UMass got narrow wins over Colorado (after Colorado beat then-No. 11 Tennessee on the road) and over Murray State (after Murray State beat then-No. 24 Texas A&M).
Polito

Post by Polito »

No one should be sleeping on UMass - called that to start the year - they hired a fantastic coach in Frank Martin - he's going to turn that program around - it won't be year one, but he'll lay the foundation for the next few.

HU definitely cannot take them or anyone else for granted - I expect that to be a battle - would be a very nice W for our guys, one that's going to look better as the season goes on.

UConn is another soon to be returning to glory program - just destroyed UNCW. They will be back to top level very soon. Would love to get them on the schedule.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Tomorrow night (Tuesday the 29th) two of our upcoming opponents play each other. UMass at South Florida. The game is on ESPN+ at 7pm if anyone wants to watch.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Thank God our next game vs Mason is on ESPN+ That Canada feed was a living nightmare!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Our game @ Charleston on Jan. 28 is looming as a preview of the CAA championship. I wonder if the CAA can get the CBS Sports Network to add this contest to its schedule? Or maybe Hofstra can get SNY to pick it up?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: Our game @ Charleston on Jan. 28 is looming as a preview of the CAA championship.
Based on that game this past Monday and being only a game back of Hofstra, Towson can still make a better claim to that at the moment (though, being alone in second place, HU is certainly in the mix for that).
Jojogunne wrote: I wonder if the CAA can get the CBS Sports Network to add this contest to its schedule? Or maybe Hofstra can get SNY to pick it up?
Doubtful for CBS Sports Network, I think. If they didn't add Charleston at UNCW when they had their winning streaks of 15 and 13 straight games, I don't see them adding Hofstra at Charleston next week. SNY is a better bet, but not sure they'd want to send a crew to Charleston as opposed to if a big matchup like that were closer, say if Hofstra were going to Northeastern, Drexel, Delaware, or Towson, and if one of those teams were in Charleston's current position. Would be great if they did though!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/ ... le/Hofstra says we have the second hardest nonconference SOS. All 12 Division I opponents are in the top half of the NET. Purdue (4th), Saint Mary's (6th), and Iona (73rd) are the only ones in the top 100. The other nine are 102nd to 177th. There is not a quick way to find the only team with a harder nonconference SOS. Alabama played the third hardest nonconference SOS, and that included two teams in the 300s, not to mention so many more home games. I wonder if we could have the hardest nonconference SOS in CAA history. According to the NET, 13 of our 18 CAA games are easier than our easiest nonconference game without factoring in location. If you factor in location, at Delaware (195th) could be harder than hosting George Washington (177th). There is not a way of adjusting the NET or RPI to consider location in predicting a winner or comparing the difficulty of games. If the Ivy League Tournament is won by Princeton (first in the standings), and the MAAC Tournament is won by Iona (second) or Quinnipiac (tied for third), we will have four nonconference games against teams that make the NCAA Tournament.

Edit: Houston shot twos and free throws poorly enough to lose 56-55 hosting Temple. Houston was Number 1, favored by 19, and given a 97 percent chance to win by KenPom. Yesterday Number 2 Kansas lost 83-60 hosting TCU. In tomorrow's polls, Number 3 Purdue could be Number 1.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just the nature of the beast in this game of basketball Evan everyday another upset or shocker in this game. Even though Monmouth lost to Charleston the other day they were up by 3 at the half with only 1 win all year. Now that would have been a nice upset.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: Yesterday Number 2 Kansas lost 83-60 hosting TCU.
The 23-point margin is tied for the worst home loss ever suffered by an AP Top 2 team. TCU had also been 0-17 at Kansas.

Speaking of Kansas, did anyone catch the ESPN 30 for 30 "There's No Place Like Home" last night about a Kansas alum/huge KU hoops fan's attempt to get others involved to buy Naismith's original rules of basketball at a Sotheby's auction, to bring those rules to the Kansas Hall of Fame? I don't want to give too much of it away if you haven't seen it yet, but it was interesting.

And then right after, they had the "Survive and Advance" 30 for 30 on NC State's 1983 run. Ended up watching all of that yet again even though I had seen it a few times before. It's still great. Just amazing how many times NC State was on the brink of having their season ending throughout every round of the ACC tourney and then a few times in the NCAA tourney, and how so many things has to go just right -- including missed FTs from normally good FT shooters on a few other teams, etc., right up to Whittenburg's airball that was dunked home by the late Lorenzo Charles for the title -- for NC State to pull off that miracle run. Such a fine line between success and failure sometimes, and in that case, MANY fine lines for NC State. It's like it was just meant to be that year for them. And it's even more fun when I watch that 30 for 30 now after I saw that all play out live on TV as a kid. Hard to believe it was 40 years ago!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Charleston remained at Number 18 in AP Poll with a significant point increase. Saint Mary's entered at Number 22, so Saturday at Charleston will give us three games at ranked teams. Of the top 18 teams, the nearest to Hofstra is Virginia.

Edit: Last season us and Northeastern were travel partners with a balanced schedule, so we would have equally difficult remaining schedules. This season Northeastern has to go to the rest of the top five. Four of Northeastern's five games at teams other than us are at Towson and Delaware that we went to, and at UNCW and Drexel that we do not go to.