Men's Basketball Schedule 2022-2023

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: Men's Basketball Schedule 2022-2023

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:Blaahh garbage games - kind of a letdown to wrap it up, BUT all in all this is a super schedule so certainly can deal with it. Old Westbury should serve essentially as a scrimmage, play the whole roster, try some things out, etc.

The home slate is really the only area that's a major disappointment - not much of a sell for season ticket holder excitement. But I def get it, gotta get paid for the program, so the pay days make plenty of sense

Any secret insider info to actual scrimmages that typically take place behind closed doors this year??
Usually Rothstein puts out lists of secret scrimmages...follow him on Twitter
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Season ticket holder event on 11/3 that was confirmed by the ticket office over the phone. IDK anything about any scrimmages.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: Blaahh garbage games - kind of a letdown to wrap it up, BUT all in all this is a super schedule so certainly can deal with it. Old Westbury should serve essentially as a scrimmage, play the whole roster, try some things out, etc.
Too bad they don't have a big non-conference game after this Old Westbury game (instead, starting conference play vs. Delaware) because...

Last year, they won at Arkansas after beating John Jay.
Three years ago, they won at UCLA after beating NY Tech.

Given that track record, Maybe they should have played Old Westbury right before going to St. Mary's or Purdue. :D
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito

Post by Polito »

Def agree on that Wags! Really my only gripe with this staff in the offseason - they really have crushed it thus far, but the home slate obviously needs improvement - there is next to zero value for season ticket holders in terms of home game action - it's very poor

But I know that's not easy - the biggest thing is to have a super schedule overall, and they've done that - hopefully they can tackle this better next time.

I think this league is going to be tough in the top half, esp with obviously HU plus UNCW, CoC, and NU, even UD - some very good coaching staffs in the CAA now - will be curious to see how the new teams fare...

Really like to see that HU will be on CBSSportsnet three times, that's great. HU will have plenty of opportunities to shine this season, if they can take advantage this could be a very exciting season for HU hoops - I'm very optimistic, I see the makings of something super provided they can address the leadership gap.

I am really hoping to see Dubar become a star, I think he's ripe for it, and would love for them to have designed plays for him specifically. Will also be very curious to see if Thomas can be a better fit alongside AE than Cooks/Ray were. We must have chemistry for the talent to shine.

Also really looking forward to JC - I think we see what he's all about this season.

HU twitter posted the team pic, whoa boy Manyang is full grown - heck of a freshman - excited for that big fella to develop and settle into his collegiate career - hope he plays like he looks!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: CAA Hoops on CBS Sports Network:
https://twitter.com/CAASports/status/15 ... 6805548037
Before the wild card game chosen based on the standings and the CAA Tournament, CBS Sports Network will show 14 games. That is an average of 14*2/13 = 2.15 per team, so our 3 exceeds that. They are Thursday December 29 at Delaware at 7:00 P.M., Thursday January 19 hosting UNCW at 7:00 P.M., and Wednesday February 8 at Northeastern at 6:00 P.M. https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule says the game against Massachusetts at Barclays Center on Sunday December 11 at 7:00 P.M. will be on YES. I do not know when the last time we were on YES was. Since I am in Nebraska and do not get YES, I hope it is available online. Massachusetts calls it the Hall of Fame Invitational.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Polito wrote:D

HU twitter posted the team pic, whoa boy Manyang is full grown - heck of a freshman - excited for that big fella to develop and settle into his collegiate career - hope he plays like he looks!
Shoulders on this kid are about a yard wide :lol: . Big upper body! Agree Polito...really looking forward to watching him develop.

Also funny how roster lists Dubar at 6'8" (last season listed at 6'7"). In the team photo he clearly looks to be closer to about 6'6". Regardless, he's another good one to watch this season.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

cactus wrote:Tournament is Friday -> Tuesday BTW.
A standard 13 team bracket would have the first 3 teams getting byes and 4-13 playing for the other 5 to get you to a round of 8, but that doesn't work with 5 days of games, unless they split up the 4-13/5-12/6-11/7-10/8-9 first round games into two days. A 12-13 on Friday very likely kicks off the tournament like you mentioned, with 4 byes into the round of 8. Further evidence is the games on the Hofstra site are listed first round, second round, quarters, and so on.
So assuming that's the setup, I agree, very important for a top 4 finish to have a max of 3 games Sun -> Tues.
According to Wikipedia the above is correct, There's 12-13 game on Friday, seeds 5 thru 12/13 play on Saturday, and 1-4 get byes into Sunday. There is no reseeding as was the norm in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_CAA_ ... tournament
Cards

Post by Cards »

Looks like there may be some one on one games added to the schedule. Enjoy the below link!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1582437588287295506
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I'd prefer more than only 11 d1 home games
Guess you have to choose between better opponents and more games at the Mack
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote:Season ticket holder event on 11/3 that was confirmed by the ticket office over the phone. IDK anything about any scrimmages.
Just made my payment on season tickets and pride lounge today. Excited for this Nov 3rd event to see the new players in person.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Season ticket holder event on 11/3 that was confirmed by the ticket office over the phone. IDK anything about any scrimmages.
Just made my payment on season tickets and pride lounge today. Excited for this Nov 3rd event to see the new players in person.
Ditto on seeing the new players. I want to join the pride lounge is that $250 per ticket(person)? How does that work.

HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Make a donation to the Pride Club and then admission to the Lounge is free.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:
Ditto on seeing the new players. I want to join the pride lounge is that $250 per ticket(person)? How does that work
Yes it's a $250 donation per person/ticket to access the pride lounge before each game and during halftime.
e.g we have 4 seats with pride club access so it was a $1000 donation. I have been doing it for a number of years now.
If you call Carla and give her your payment now they can print the access on your season ticket before you pick them up on the 3rd.
Just tell them what seat(s) you want the access printed on and that same seat ticket each game will allow that ticketholder access to the lounge for pregame and halftime.
During pregame in the past a coach would come out and give a quick rundown of game strategy etc.
Cool thing to be there for. Food and drink is included and I think alcohol is a few bucks extra. Tip your bartenders! :)
DM if you need her # but you can probably just call the ticket office and ask for her.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

Anyone have any info on Saturday's "secret scrimmage" at Fairfield? Since these are my two teams I would be very interested. Fans on the Fairfield Board also looking for info. So far, nothing has leaked out.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: Ditto on seeing the new players. I want to join the pride lounge is that $250 per ticket(person)? How does that work
Yes it's a $250 donation per person/ticket to access the pride lounge before each game and during halftime.
e.g we have 4 seats with pride club access so it was a $1000 donation. I have been doing it for a number of years now.
If you call Carla and give her your payment now they can print the access on your season ticket before you pick them up on the 3rd.
Just tell them what seat(s) you want the access printed on and that same seat ticket each game will allow that ticketholder access to the lounge for pregame and halftime.
During pregame in the past a coach would come out and give a quick rundown of game strategy etc.
Cool thing to be there for. Food and drink is included and I think alcohol is a few bucks extra. Tip your bartenders! :)
DM if you need her # but you can probably just call the ticket office and ask for her.
Thanks Cactus I have met her in person and talked to her on the phone the other day. I thought it was $250 a person. Worth it IMO. lIKE the bartender advice as well.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just got off the phone and got access for two people which includes booze per Carla(beer and wine I imagine) which is great. I guess you can't bring kids into the lounge??
Polito

Post by Polito »

I spoke to Carla on the phone the other day as well, wanted to get info on suites. Seems you can get one that will fit 10-15 for about 1k. Doesn't include food and drink though, that's extra, but you can get alcohol at least.

I would be totally down for this if the board ever wants to jump in on one together.

Also, it seems they are building new 'suites' of some kind on the lower bowl side...?? Very cool if so, but I do hope they are legit and not just some roped off section at the top of the seating lol.

Let's get a suite peeps!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:Just got off the phone and got access for two people which includes booze per Carla(beer and wine I imagine) which is great. I guess you can't bring kids into the lounge??
Great - I'll be seeing you there. Usually the wine/beer is on a separate line with a server handing it out. Unless things have changed, kids can be in the lounge, I've brought mine a number of times.